Taper Ron

Taper Ron

Guest jazz-man

WOW! I had no idea about this since I am on the other side of the freakin' world but I am saddened to hear about Ron's injuries. I found out by checking the setlist for the CrystaI Ballroom and seeing the encore dedicated to Taper Ron. I thought "uh oh, better check this out". don't know him but he's done a lot to keep this train arollin' and many folks that I respect on this site vouch for him so that's good enough for me :) Thank God there was no brain injury. Thoughts and good vibes coming your way, Ron. You WILL dance again!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This news is so overwhelming. I'm glad that it wasn't worse. While we haven't met, I do know Ron and will coninue to send positive healling vibes your way. I can imagine what your family is going through and it is overwhelming. As messed up as it may seem, God has a plan. Continue to show your love and gratitude for all you have in each other and Ron will pull through this. (((Ron)))

maningreen

• Forum MVP

I've never hung out with Ron, but was counting on having the chance in the future - to thank him for what he's done among this community (basically build it from scratch) and to laugh at what I know from reading his posts, is a pretty funny and witty guy. My very best to you in your recovery Ron.

((((((((((((TR)))))))))))))))))

• Forum MVP

Thank'y so much, Taperron's Bro. As you can see, Ron means a lot to us here. We appreciate the updates.

So, so happy to hear that he's stable and doing better!! I have tremendous faith in the power of good vibes. I am here to testify. Have him know that he's got some of the best vibes flowing his way, from places that he will never even know about. I have no doubt that they will do him great good.

• Forum MVP

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((TR and Family))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Ron - thaks for all that you do and have given us by creating and maintaining this wonderful site. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Ron is doing a lot better. My niece has started a facebook account for his recovery. His facebook email address is checkonron@yahoo.com. If you want to add him as a friend, send a request and I will get you added. Be sure to mention DSO so I can let my niece know to add you if she checks first. If you don't have a facebook account and want to check out his pictures follow this link. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000984682160

Wayne

Physical therapy was in today . Helped him to stand for a minute beside the bed. He is allowed to have solid foods now. He is going in for a second surgery tomorrow at 3:30pm . This one is to do an open reduction to the right femur. This consists of put a pin in the thigh bone of his leg to stabilize the break to aid in the healing. He seems to be in good spirits.

• Forum MVP

Get a good personal injury lawyer fast. I can put the word out and see if I can come up with someone in Topeka.

Absolutely........Ron can never regain his leg, but there may be a silver lining in there somewhere........

Very sad to hear news of your accident TR!! I'm relieved to hear that you seem to be past the worst and are on the mend!! Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a return to doing what you love. THIS was certainly not what you needed during your well deserved break..

My personal thought on motorcycles:

After giving it a little considerations as to whether this is appropriate here, I decided to go ahead and make a little editorial comment about motorcycles for those who are current riders or are considering taking it up . I lost a dear friend in a horrible accident, about 15 years ago, and have had another few friends seriously injured in crashes over the years. Another friend from high school spent a few decades completely paralyzed before finally dying a couple of years ago. I'm sure the years of having a body he couldn't do anything with was the cause of his heart finally giving out. I never rode motorcycles, which I suppose can be attributed to significant degree by my uncle. He was a physician and always called them "murdercycles", Before I was old enought to drive, he told me about the mayhem he saw in the hospital on a reglar basis and begged me not to ride. It's not that I'm adverse to taking risks, as I have been involved in some fairly dangerous activites such as handgliding and big wave surfing. It's just that these seem to at least give the perception that I'm in control--not at the mercy of some distracted or drunk driving who slams into me without warning. Anyway, sorry if this commentary is not appropriate, and I'm the last person to who wants to tell people what to do. However, I do believe in full disclosure and if this encourages just one person to at least put on a helmet, I'm glad to have stated it. It may just save a life.

• Forum MVP

I agree neutrino... my godfathers son died in a motorcycle accident that was caused by a stray rock on the road while making a turn...

edit: I do not mean to say you shouldn't live your passions because of risk... security is not what life... and thats a beautiful thing... looky's post gets me psyched! Easy Wind!

• Forum MVP

While I understand folks' desire for security and safety, I can not condone passing up the things in life that pose a risk, if they are what give you passion.

Some people may feel comfort in comfort. Some people do not. Some people find comfort and passion in things that other people may not understand. Many people Love their motorcycles, and find the greatest freedom in riding them. Some people find Love and passion in traveling to see music. This poses risks, as well. I travel often, and I travel alone. I sometimes find myself in bad situations, and sometimes bad things happen to me. This does not, in any way, give me any desire to stop.

For many people, living their dream is worth every risk. For the most part, those folks who ride motorcycles passionately fully understand the risks. As do those of us who do other things, like travel alone, skydive, ride horses or drive cars.Those people who persue it anyway tend to feel that it is, indeed well worth it, anyway. Regardless of what happens to me on my adventures, I have no regrets. If I were to give up the things that I Love doing in the name of safety, I am pretty sure that's when I would have regrets. Besides, staying home, locked in my living room with seven padlocks on my door would, in no way, guarentee my safety. I ain't gonna live forever, and that's all there is to it.

Ron Loves his bike. That's OK. Finding passion in life is worth more than living a long time. This is my opinion. Of course, it's pure speculation on my part, but I would imagine that he would regret not having ridden more than having ridden and this happening. Yes, it's tragic. Yes, it's sad. Yes, we all want the best possible outcome for the man we all know with such a big heart. And I also believe that, maybe, the fact that he dared to follow his passion contributed to the fact that he has such a big heart.

I, for one, hope Taper Ron rides again. I hope he finds the freedom and Love that he once did from it.

• Forum MVP

While I understand folks' desire for security and safety, I can not condone passing up the things in life that pose a risk, if they are what give you passion.

Some people may feel comfort in comfort. Some people do not. Some people find comfort and passion in things that other people may not understand. Many people Love their motorcycles, and find the greatest freedom in riding them. Some people find Love and passion in traveling to see music. This poses risks, as well. I travel often, and I travel alone. I sometimes find myself in bad situations, and sometimes bad things happen to me. This does not, in any way, give me any desire to stop.

For many people, living their dream is worth every risk. For the most part, those folks who ride motorcycles passionately fully understand the risks. As do those of us who do other things, like travel alone, skydive, ride horses or drive cars.Those people who persue it anyway tend to feel that it is, indeed well worth it, anyway. Regardless of what happens to me on my adventures, I have no regrets. If I were to give up the things that I Love doing in the name of safety, I am pretty sure that's when I would have regrets. Besides, staying home, locked in my living room with seven padlocks on my door would, in no way, guarentee my safety. I ain't gonna live forever, and that's all there is to it.

Ron Loves his bike. That's OK. Finding passion in life is worth more than living a long time. This is my opinion. Of course, it's pure speculation on my part, but I would imagine that he would regret not having ridden more than having ridden and this happening. Yes, it's tragic. Yes, it's sad. Yes, we all want the best possible outcome for the man we all know with such a big heart. And I also believe that, maybe, the fact that he dared to follow his passion contributed to the fact that he has such a big heart.

I, for one, hope Taper Ron rides again. I hope he finds the freedom and Love that he once did from it.

+1, very well stated.

• Forum MVP

People get seriously injured in cars as well... granted there is definitely a high risk factor on a motorcycle. When an adult gets on a motorcycle (or in a car) they make the conscious decision that the are risking life and limb. Both are very dangerous but then again life is just one big dangerous obstacle in my opinion.

I'm glad to hear TR's spirits are high. Really, really hoping for the best!

I completely agree with all you say. From what many have said riding his bike is one of Ron's passions and I also hope he is back on his bike real soon!! I've just personally been touched by some tragic accidents involving bikes ridin by people I know, so I guess all I'm trying to say is "be safe!!". It is wrong to live one's live in fear. You can get killed doing anything, and is often out of your control. However, you CAN do things to improve the odds. :Putting on a helmet is probably the best advice. Yeah, you don't get that feeling of the wind blowing through your hair, but that seems to me to be a reasonable tradeoff.

• Forum MVP

I completely agree with all you say. From what many have said riding his bike is one of Ron's passions and I also hope he is back on his bike real soon!! I've just personally been touched by some tragic accidents involving bikes ridin by people I know, so I guess all I'm trying to say is "be safe!!". It is wrong to live one's live in fear. You can get killed doing anything, and is often out of your control. However, you CAN do things to improve the odds. :Putting on a helmet is probably the best advice. Yeah, you don't get that feeling of the wind blowing through your hair, but that seems to me to be a reasonable tradeoff.

I am almost 45 and I just got my first motorcycle 2 years ago. I am hear to say that motorcycling has become one of my biggest passions. I understand the risks, and I never ride without ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time). I also have taken the MSF safety course twice and I intend to take more courses in the future. I am glad that I didn't get a bike when I was 23 with all that extra testosterone coursing through my veins. I have a strong desire to live and I'm fully aware of my mortality. That being said, if I die on my bike I will die with a big smile on my face.

Get well soon, Ron. This too shall pass........

Guest jazz-man

I would love to ride but working in a hospital I've seen too many bad accidents for motorcycle riders. I'm just not willing to take that risk (maybe if I ever have a midlife crisis). I choose to spread my risks out elsewhere (like living in Saudi Arabia, for example).

Archived