Mission In The Rain

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP

Last week at gratefulfest I heard my first Mission In The Rain. Donna sat in and the song was beautifully executed.

By the way, DSO was absolutely incredible at Gratefufest... further confirming their mastery... It was great seeing njsteve, greyhead and foundthesound. As well as meeting Eaton and Barracco; doubtless the highlight of my time at the Ledges.

Hitherto, I had only knew of Jerry Garcia Band versions of Mission. However, after the show I heard that the Grateful Dead did in fact play Mission In the Rain. I'm assuming it was as rare as If I Had the World to Give or something similar.

Can anyone shed light?

• Forum MVP

Vincent,

I have all five of those show on my handy hard drive , in fact listening to one now 6-29-76, its Awesome...let me know if I need to snd you the show. Dr. V

must be close to election time ... the Senator is shaking hands and kissing babies... well in this case burning hippie shows .... :unsure:

Such a beautiful, heartbreaking song.

"10 years ago, I walked these streets, my dreams were riding tall. Tonight I would be thankful Lord for any dream at all."

"Some folks would be happy just to have one dream come true. But everything you gather is just more that you can lose."

"All the things I planned to do, I only did halfway. Tomorrow will be Sunday born of rainy Saturday."

"There is some comfort in the San Francisco rain. No matter what comes down, the Mission always looks the same."

There is such a sad, mournful, heartbreaking nature to the above lyrics. This song pulls on my hearstrings every time I hear it. Some have speculated that it may be about Mr. Garcia trying to score dope in the Mission district. I don't know about any of that. In any case, its certainly a sad and beautiful song.

I can't imagine, for the life of me, why The Dead stopped playing it and it reverted to a JGB song. Did Jerry just like the way it sounded with JGB better than the way it sounded with The Dead? Did someone ELSE in the Dead veto the song? I really can't imagine why they dropped this one. So beautiful.

Boy, oh boy, am I sad that I missed this one at GratefulFest. I've gone to G-fest the past 2 years and had such a wonderful time. This year, I had to bow out due to money and work, and low and behold: a 69 show, a 77 show, and an elective featuring Mission In The Rain. *sigh* there's always next July.

• Advisory Board

In my opinion, Mission in the Rain is in a special class of Garcia ballads.

A rare class. A jewel amongst gems. Everything about it. Love it. Always have.

I also would love to hear the insight into this song and its interesting JGB/GD history.

GD Missions are like the softest feather blanket, white, oversized with matching ultra soft pillows (extra pillows) and the person you love the most all wrapped up warm and snug and cozy...

I really like that song.

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

"There is some comfort in the San Francisco rain. No matter what comes down, the Mission always looks the same."

When did comfort become satisfaction?

Garcia on Mission from a Golden Road interview: "Right, it's autobiographical, though I didn't write it"

Hunter on Mission from a Relix interview: "I used to live over in the Mission when I was just starting to write for the Dead full time. I wasn't living at 710, I was living over on 17th & Mission, and that was very much a portrait of that time: looking backward at ten years. "

Good stuff.

• Forum MVP

In my opinion, Mission in the Rain is in a special class of Garcia ballads.

A rare class. A jewel amongst gems. Everything about it. Love it. Always have.

I also would love to hear the insight into this song and its interesting JGB/GD history.

GD Missions are like the softest feather blanket, white, oversized with matching ultra soft pillows (extra pillows) and the person you love the most all wrapped up warm and snug and cozy...

I really like that song.

Dr. B B)

You said it all Dr. B , Mission In The Rain is special !!! I had always wondered how to express how much I love certain Garcia ballads and the feelings I get from them without diminishing all the other songs I love ... your post really says it all , and this nails it " A rare class. A jewel amongst gems." ... :)

• Forum MVP

This is a song that always draws complete silence from us when it comes on in our rotation or during a show we are listening to (since I'm always picking from June '76, so it happens lol) and I have to say that some of my favorite moments at any show ever have been seeing DSO do it. I'm not literally crying anymore like I was when I first read what we missed at Gratefulfest, and though I'm sad I missed this song, reading through this post made my whole being swell with happiness and love because it is SUCH an amazing song, and knowing DSO touched hearts with it that weekend is comforting in every way. *Looooong sigh*

LOOK OUT, GratefulWEST (yep, that's what we're calling it) is coming to CO in August and there are a LOT of people around here that can't talk about anything else :) we may actually miss the 2nd mish show to catch Cornmeal at State Bridge and prepare for when DSO arrives, but regardless, it's gonna be such a beautiful camping weekend in the mountains.

• Forum MVP

Vincent,

I have all five of those show on my handy hard drive , in fact listening to one now 6-29-76, its Awesome...let me know if I need to send you the show. Dr. V

Dr. V

...I believe you sent me something before and I still have nothing to offer... my archives are still to young... However, I'd love them. I need to build more of a collection of shows that haven't been released through dead.net.

Thanks all!

The lyrics to "Mission" are indeed sad, and I have to be in the right mood to fully enjoy this song. That being said (and by almost all previous comments), I find the soaring jams that both Jerry and Jeff bring to the tune are extremely uplifting, and by the end of the song I am always grinning, wishing it would go on forever! A true favorite Hunter/Garcia ballad for me, among many. Can't wait to see DSO perform this live. I have always dug the GD version from 6/29/76, even though some of that particular show is a bit slow and plodding for my tastes. Several JGB versions I have heard are spectacular, but I cannot conjur up any specific ones. Can anyone recommend some?

Last week at gratefulfest I heard my first Mission In The Rain. Donna sat in and the song was beautifully executed.

By the way, DSO was absolutely incredible at Gratefufest... further confirming their mastery... It was great seeing njsteve, greyhead and foundthesound. As well as meeting Eaton and Barracco; doubtless the highlight of my time at the Ledges.

Hitherto, I had only knew of Jerry Garcia Band versions of Mission. However, after the show I heard that the Grateful Dead did in fact play Mission In the Rain. I'm assuming it was as rare as If I Had the World to Give or something similar.

Can anyone shed light?

This is perhaps the most tender/sad song in the whole catalog for me...I remember when Reflections was released...It stayed planted on the platter of my Garrard turntable for weeks...It's also sad that it left the rotation of the GD so fast...76 being the year I became fully engaged with seeing the band I caught a couple in Boston and I think one in Jersey...When I think back to those days this song is the perfect soundtrack to take me down Memory Lane...

• Forum MVP

This is perhaps the most tender/sad song in the whole catalog for me...I remember when Reflections was released...It stayed planted on the platter of my Garrard turntable for weeks...It's also sad that it left the rotation of the GD so fast...76 being the year I became fully engaged with seeing the band I caught a couple in Boston and I think one in Jersey...When I think back to those days this song is the perfect soundtrack to take me down Memory Lane...

Reflections has been in my cd changer in the car for a couple years now ... it's an amazing album full of grateness !!!

• Forum MVP

Dr. V

...I believe you sent me something before and I still have nothing to offer... my archives are still to young... However, I'd love them. I need to build more of a collection of shows that haven't been released through dead.net.

Thanks all!

Vincent, I sent you the video of Jerry scuba diving and soundchecking in Hawaii from May 1990, and yea, nothing came back from your end. No big deal, I've sent out hundreds over the years. Would have been thoughtful to recieve something for the disc and postage. Most send something in return

• Forum MVP

The lyrics to "Mission" are indeed sad, and I have to be in the right mood to fully enjoy this song. That being said (and by almost all previous comments), I find the soaring jams that both Jerry and Jeff bring to the tune are extremely uplifting, and by the end of the song I am always grinning, wishing it would go on forever! A true favorite Hunter/Garcia ballad for me, among many. Can't wait to see DSO perform this live. I have always dug the GD version from 6/29/76, even though some of that particular show is a bit slow and plodding for my tastes. Several JGB versions I have heard are spectacular, but I cannot conjur up any specific ones. Can anyone recommend some?

Warner Theatre, Washington DC - Spring 1978 - get this show...PM me if you want a copy.

Guest Lisacat

Yes!!! Also 5-21-76. Solo at the end of the song is it.

You got it. My favorite one. Its all those things Dr. Barry described and more......

And Brilliant Knockin...IMO hands down the best one.

• Forum MVP

Vincent, I sent you the video of Jerry scuba diving and soundchecking in Hawaii from May 1990, and yea, nothing came back from your end. No big deal, I've sent out hundreds over the years. Would have been thoughtful to recieve something for the disc and postage. Most send something in return

Now that I think of it...I did the same thing to ya. The DVDs you sent weren't really viewable but it was the thought that counted and I should have reciprocated.

So let me make up for my faux pas (and Vince's too)...hit me with your addy pm style.

And no more dvds for me...I'm good.

:)

• Forum MVP

Historical questions can usually be answered at the Jerry site, and Dead lists.

I think that is obvious--I wanted to start a nice discourse on the subject.

Ammagamalin Crew, you did... and you're right--the only thing I sent back to you was a confirmation note and a thank you. You were very generous to send me that disc. DStone and Dr. V have also sent me gems while I've sent nothing in return but a whole-hearted thank you. Truthfully, this is due to the fact that I have nothing in the GD archive to offer yet. My collection is built upon a platform of dead.net commercial releases... this is a result of my age and inexperience in the world of taping.

I will avoid accepting offers for now on until I can confirm I have something to offer myself.

P.S

whoa:

Archived