Thanks To All From Dso

Guest Rob Eaton

Guest Rob Eaton

We in DSO want to thank all of you who have supported us over the years. We played our biggest gig to date in Golden Gate Park last Sunday to an amazing group of young and old dead heads, smiling and enjoying the music we love so much. We made many new friends and feel very good about the lineup we now have and what the future holds. Safe travels......

Peace to All....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We in DSO want to thank all of you who have supported us over the years. We played our biggest gig to date in Golden Gate Park last Sunday to an amazing group of young and old dead heads, smiling and enjoying the music we love so much. We made many new friends and feel very good about the lineup we now have and what the future holds. Safe travels......

Peace to All....

YES !!!! wish i was in SF for HSB.....

I won't even try to imagine what the last 10 years would have been like without my dso fix of shows. For me, it's a few in the fall, few in spring, and 1 or 2 sprung out in summer. Unlike the dso circle of band, crew, and some other traveling folks who move on from show to show to show, I have to hold on and somewhat possess the shows from my memory and sometimes sweet recordings. I do though love my 2 or 3 consecutive show 'retreats' when they happen.

Counting the days until show 1999 (NoHo) and DSO2K and perhaps Woodstock. I'm bringing many newbies to NoHO.

As Chuck V once said: I'm proud to be a fan!

Frank

• Forum MVP

Is DSO in the North East yet?? I think I'm having withdrawals!

Glad to hear HSB was a smash. Knew you'd show those smug Cali people how GD music is played.

I personally am loving the state of things within the band and how the shows are being performed... sort of mind-boggling to think it's only going to get better. Oh mylanta! :cheers:

The band is now being given another chance. Let's see if the personnel on both sides of the rail can keep it together this time. I suspect that some of them are afraid of success and others prefer the band in a limited state where they can remain big fish in a small pond.

The band needs to start charting their future seriously, a publicist being the first point of order. If you already have a publicist, fire them. Then sue them. Next, kick some Wookie ass. Lineup indeed.

• Forum MVP

The band is now being given another chance. Let's see if the personnel on both sides of the rail can keep it together this time. I suspect that some of them are afraid of success and others prefer the band in a limited state where they can remain big fish in a small pond.

The band needs to start charting their future seriously, a publicist being the first point of order. If you already have a publicist, fire them. Then sue them. Next, kick some Wookie ass. Lineup indeed.

Hey Run Mary. Would you mind elaborating on your post? We are very interested to know what you mean. Thanks RB

:huh: ?

Thanks to band, crew, and everyone else for all the time away from home to make our days a little more bright from time to time. There have been some talented musicians wore out from the road, but you guys just seem to get better with age!

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

Knew I still wouldn't be back if I had gone to this.

Warms my heart thru and back again to know so many people showed up!

Thank you, each and every member of this band, and every single fan for growing this music into places no one believed it could ever go... like directly to the hearts of a world that is only now remembering that it NEVER FORGOT the Grateful Dead and the real message behind the music.

People talk a lot about family values and whatnot..... Starheads live it. A LOT of others blow lots of hot air around about etiquette and proximity and moral standpoints but there is a special tribe spinning around these boards and these shows that is becoming harder and harder for the larger community to avoid.

Love, joy, and the Grateful Dead are the most vital contagions on the planet, we all gotta catch us some and SPREAD it everywhere we go. The negative feelings people have about Deadheads actually NEVER touched me because I was only around DSO fans when the music first blissfully invaded my soul and I thought it really was and had always been... well.... like the story books.

Then I met more people. I saw more shows. I went without shows and realized I LOOK like a deadhead now everywhere I go and realized what that means in people's heads.... and it isn't always nice, and sadly, too many fall into the exact stereotype of selfish, hoarding, elitist BS that the very social system the Grateful Dead always sought to electrify with beauty was accused of.

Bravo to DSO. The individual musicians have been transcended by both the music and the mission of the band, leaving it so that the band could literally go on FOREVER as we ALL grow and pass through and return.... I, for one, am simply honored to have found this music for one more lifetime of searching for a way for us all to make it to the promised land together... what the f*ck else is there? AND each member still maintains individuality that brings us fans back AGAIN and AGAIN because this band WANTS you to be there, WANTS you to have the BEST time, and will play their asses off the harder you dance and shine, changing and growing with every note and step.... I can't think of any other band of this caliber that can still do that. The only ones that do what they do, indeed.

Don't worry, there are a lot of new kids like me getting into this music, we aren't all wookies (even when rope-headed and on the fringe), and though there will ALWAYS be more fans than heads in the crowd, the one in ten thousand is growing because of THIS band, and the ones who come to it from THIS BAND I feel have a better chance of representing the newest generation of deadheads than those that come through other portals, so have faith that for all the jerk offs that show up, a handful of people of all ages like me are finding DSO and being introduced to this music in a way that really just might be the tipping point for more than just a good show................

so thank you, all you that have been here SO FREAKING LONG........... you held the bell hanging and kept the fire's light aglow and we are gathering.

sorry about the sentimentality, I haven't seen a show since State Bridge and this band inspires very tender feelings in my heart which I feel are better to share than keep inside for fear of looking sappy or worse, psycho. (though I've never met a sane person that loved this music hehe)

Oh, holidays, new year, please hurry up and sing me back home to the front row.

Knew I still wouldn't be back if I had gone to this.

Warms my heart thru and back again to know so many people showed up!

Thank you, each and every member of this band, and every single fan for growing this music into places no one believed it could ever go... like directly to the hearts of a world that is only now remembering that it NEVER FORGOT the Grateful Dead and the real message behind the music.

People talk a lot about family values and whatnot..... Starheads live it. A LOT of others blow lots of hot air around about etiquette and proximity and moral standpoints but there is a special tribe spinning around these boards and these shows that is becoming harder and harder for the larger community to avoid.

Love, joy, and the Grateful Dead are the most vital contagions on the planet, we all gotta catch us some and SPREAD it everywhere we go. The negative feelings people have about Deadheads actually NEVER touched me because I was only around DSO fans when the music first blissfully invaded my soul and I thought it really was and had always been... well.... like the story books.

Then I met more people. I saw more shows. I went without shows and realized I LOOK like a deadhead now everywhere I go and realized what that means in people's heads.... and it isn't always nice, and sadly, too many fall into the exact stereotype of selfish, hoarding, elitist BS that the very social system the Grateful Dead always sought to electrify with beauty was accused of.

Bravo to DSO. The individual musicians have been transcended by both the music and the mission of the band, leaving it so that the band could literally go on FOREVER as we ALL grow and pass through and return.... I, for one, am simply honored to have found this music for one more lifetime of searching for a way for us all to make it to the promised land together... what the f*ck else is there? AND each member still maintains individuality that brings us fans back AGAIN and AGAIN because this band WANTS you to be there, WANTS you to have the BEST time, and will play their asses off the harder you dance and shine, changing and growing with every note and step.... I can't think of any other band of this caliber that can still do that. The only ones that do what they do, indeed.

Don't worry, there are a lot of new kids like me getting into this music, we aren't all wookies (even when rope-headed and on the fringe), and though there will ALWAYS be more fans than heads in the crowd, the one in ten thousand is growing because of THIS band, and the ones who come to it from THIS BAND I feel have a better chance of representing the newest generation of deadheads than those that come through other portals, so have faith that for all the jerk offs that show up, a handful of people of all ages like me are finding DSO and being introduced to this music in a way that really just might be the tipping point for more than just a good show................

so thank you, all you that have been here SO FREAKING LONG........... you held the bell hanging and kept the fire's light aglow and we are gathering.

sorry about the sentimentality, I haven't seen a show since State Bridge and this band inspires very tender feelings in my heart which I feel are better to share than keep inside for fear of looking sappy or worse, psycho. (though I've never met a sane person that loved this music hehe)

Oh, holidays, new year, please hurry up and sing me back home to the front row.

Nicely stated

An effective publicist would not have allowed the band to post inflammatory comments about the members of Furthur, either here, on the Philzone, or anywhere else. They would have known the effect that would have on ticket sales and band reputation.

And while a publicist could not stop your friends and fans from making inflammatory posts against Furthur, they would probably have moved to sever the band's relationship with this forum. At the very least they would have issued a statement about the band's regret for those posts. They would certainly have stopped band members from publicly praising the authors of those posts.

A big burst of trust came your way via invitation to HSB. The band repaid that trust by making a public post about their satisfaction with the lineup. Coming from any other band, that would have been a statement of pride. Coming from a band who has publicly stated that their previous lineup did not have chemistry, it is a mistake and a step backwards.

John is a beloved figure in the community, regardless of how any of you view him. You have lost a lot of fans because of how you reacted to his departure and you need to distance yourselves from those mistakes and not repeat them. How you talk about him on your own time is your own business; how you talk about him publicly is everyone's business.

You are excellent musicians and there are many, many people who need you and the music you produce. You could and should be playing much larger venues, but you need to stop the self sabotage. You need a publicist.

• Forum MVP

An effective publicist would not have allowed the band to post inflammatory comments about the members of Furthur, either here, on the Philzone, or anywhere else. They would have known the effect that would have on ticket sales and band reputation.

And while a publicist could not stop your friends and fans from making inflammatory posts against Furthur, they would probably have moved to sever the band's relationship with this forum. At the very least they would have issued a statement about the band's regret for those posts. They would certainly have stopped band members from publicly praising the authors of those posts.

A big burst of trust came your way via invitation to HSB. The band repaid that trust by making a public post about their satisfaction with the lineup. Coming from any other band, that would have been a statement of pride. Coming from a band who has publicly stated that their previous lineup did not have chemistry, it is a mistake and a step backwards.

John is a beloved figure in the community, regardless of how any of you view him. You have lost a lot of fans because of how you reacted to his departure and you need to distance yourselves from those mistakes and not repeat them. How you talk about him on your own time is your own business; how you talk about him publicly is everyone's business.

You are excellent musicians and there are many, many people who need you and the music you produce. You could and should be playing much larger venues, but you need to stop the self sabotage. You need a publicist.

Wow. That's some post!

I recall quite a brouhaha on the board in general when the whole Furthur transition went down (and how could you expect less?). But I guess I missed the posts from band members with "inflammatory comments about the members of Furthur." I also missed the ones saying "their previous lineup did not have chemistry."

Admittedly, I've seen some band members engage in what I thought was inappropriate discourse with a fan or two along the way (certainly inappropriate public discourse), but nothing remotely like you describe.

I'm not in the inner circle of folks and their aliases (in fact I know few people here offline), but I can't help ask: are you a completely anonymous poster, or do people know who you are?

• Forum MVP

Wow. That's some post!.......but I can't help ask: are you a completely anonymous poster, or do people know who you are?

"Run Mary" is a gentle, very intelligent, and trusting woman who I often call "Mary of the Campgrounds". For a couple years I camped next to her at Grateful Fest althought this past year she was not able to make it to the Ledges. At times she can be out spoken but I was a little surprized by those posts of hers. She usually makes very good sense so lets at least listen to what she has to say. Maybe she has just gotten hit in the head by an avocadoe falling from a tree and she is temporary a bit too sane.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

midol.jpg

• Forum MVP

um... feelings are deep wells. the deeper and the purer the waters, the more people come to drink. the more that gather, the more the well must give.

some refill forever.

some run dry.

some are diverted and create springs elsewhere, or turn into a mighty river, or a waterfall with rainbows arching over the place where the vertical and the horizontal meet in perpendicular union....

just because the paths go different ways, doesn't mean that ANYONE has to LIKE (publicly or not) that it is not just a well that we all get to drink from together anymore. or maybe never was. who knows, we all see each drop of water in our own way..... BRIGHT as the sky from which it came.

I, for one, actually value the OPEN HONESTY, frankness, and willingness to express personal feelings to the "public"... For a newbie that doesn't know much, I sense there are plenty of things that have not been and never will be expressed in the deep wells of DSO members and members of the Grateful Dead's beautifully open hearts that allow us all to grow through watching them be REAL, even when it is UGLY or downright REPULSIVE (many examples from my history lessons while running the booth on lot, taught to me by some members of this forums and strangers nationwide)

but THAT, Run Mary (Oh, how I love the written words you and I have exchanged, you push for wholeness, oneness and endless positivity really inspires me, though we have never met!) is why, for me, the Grateful Dead and DSO are so special, both to each other and to EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US. The good, the bad, the ugly. Its in the music. Its in the life.

Its IN music. Its IN life! CONSTANT struggle that somehow makes ONE big family that much richer in the love that is all any of us will take for payment.... because we all HELP each other through these times of transition.

I will always be honored to cry with people who were there when John was Jerry for a group of people that could put reality and expectations on hold, instead choosing to simply LOVE THIS MUSIC and allow their souls to laugh with dancin feet.

But I am also quite proud to say that I prefer to go to DSO instead of Furthur. Its just where I'm from..... I came into this through THIS BAND, and when I go see Furthur, I can still feel John's love for the music, which is beautiful, and will keep me going from time to time. But to do runs and tour, I need DSO, I need people who don't HAVE TO HAVE A PUBLICIST tell them what to SAY TO THEIR FANS.

I don't want DSO members to consult ANYONE before they speak their minds. I want them to play every note as it comes to their heads (um, I PAY for them to do this when I buy a ticket, so I kind of expect it... and they DO NOT LET ME DOWN musically) and that means I expect them to apply that to their lives and be REAL enough as HUMANS to NOT get caught up in how they are "supposed to present themselves".....

That is just NOT what Grateful Dead music is about to me. It is what the beast became when too many came too the well and left too much behind.

But we are still all together, from another time's forgotten space, living this music, watching the wheel turn 'round.

Lets stay honest about it. That means, Run Mary, keep saying EXACTLY how you feel about it, what you say is a thing that should be talked about openly, there is a lot that can be talked about openly that has not been

because SO MANY OF YOU JUST LURK AROUND HERE OR HAVE LEFT COMPLETELY

and I for one am sad I will never got to know you and that you just stand off to the side of everyone at all the shows you go to for whatever reasons because we can all speak our minds and still know we all want the best for each other, this music, and the universe.

but whatever, if ya'll need a publicist, give me a ring. ;)

• Forum MVP

Rob Eaton and the rest of DSO You are very welcome. Even though I don't get to see you all as often as I have in years past I will always support this band. I also thank all of you for making my memories come alive every day. This band and the starheads that surround it have done more for me than I could ever express. All I can say is keep this train a rollin cause the work you all do is more important than you will ever know!

• Forum MVP

um... feelings are deep wells. the deeper and the purer the waters, the more people come to drink. the more that gather, the more the well must give.

some refill forever.

some run dry.

some are diverted and create springs elsewhere, or turn into a mighty river, or a waterfall with rainbows arching over the place where the vertical and the horizontal meet in perpendicular union....

just because the paths go different ways, doesn't mean that ANYONE has to LIKE (publicly or not) that it is not just a well that we all get to drink from together anymore. or maybe never was. who knows, we all see each drop of water in our own way..... BRIGHT as the sky from which it came.

I, for one, actually value the OPEN HONESTY, frankness, and willingness to express personal feelings to the "public"... For a newbie that doesn't know much, I sense there are plenty of things that have not been and never will be expressed in the deep wells of DSO members and members of the Grateful Dead's beautifully open hearts that allow us all to grow through watching them be REAL, even when it is UGLY or downright REPULSIVE (many examples from my history lessons while running the booth on lot, taught to me by some members of this forums and strangers nationwide)

but THAT, Run Mary (Oh, how I love the written words you and I have exchanged, you push for wholeness, oneness and endless positivity really inspires me, though we have never met!) is why, for me, the Grateful Dead and DSO are so special, both to each other and to EACH AND EVERY ONE OF US. The good, the bad, the ugly. Its in the music. Its in the life.

Its IN music. Its IN life! CONSTANT struggle that somehow makes ONE big family that much richer in the love that is all any of us will take for payment.... because we all HELP each other through these times of transition.

I will always be honored to cry with people who were there when John was Jerry for a group of people that could put reality and expectations on hold, instead choosing to simply LOVE THIS MUSIC and allow their souls to laugh with dancin feet.

But I am also quite proud to say that I prefer to go to DSO instead of Furthur. Its just where I'm from..... I came into this through THIS BAND, and when I go see Furthur, I can still feel John's love for the music, which is beautiful, and will keep me going from time to time. But to do runs and tour, I need DSO, I need people who don't HAVE TO HAVE A PUBLICIST tell them what to SAY TO THEIR FANS.

I don't want DSO members to consult ANYONE before they speak their minds. I want them to play every note as it comes to their heads (um, I PAY for them to do this when I buy a ticket, so I kind of expect it... and they DO NOT LET ME DOWN musically) and that means I expect them to apply that to their lives and be REAL enough as HUMANS to NOT get caught up in how they are "supposed to present themselves".....

That is just NOT what Grateful Dead music is about to me. It is what the beast became when too many came too the well and left too much behind.

But we are still all together, from another time's forgotten space, living this music, watching the wheel turn 'round.

Lets stay honest about it. That means, Run Mary, keep saying EXACTLY how you feel about it, what you say is a thing that should be talked about openly, there is a lot that can be talked about openly that has not been

because SO MANY OF YOU JUST LURK AROUND HERE OR HAVE LEFT COMPLETELY

and I for one am sad I will never got to know you and that you just stand off to the side of everyone at all the shows you go to for whatever reasons because we can all speak our minds and still know we all want the best for each other, this music, and the universe.

but whatever, if ya'll need a publicist, give me a ring. ;)

Very good response.

This is a band who plays the music we love not Exxon Corp. that needs a PR flack to craft a message that doesn't say anything at all for fear of upsetting a few here and there. We are not talking about market-share, brands, and footprints here. I suspect that if these values were totally embraced by the band and its all business all the time, DSO and their fans would get disenchanted in a big hurry. While there may be differences of opinion regarding the how the transition from JK to JM went down or should have gone down, opinioins are like a***holes, everyone's got em.

While I am not the swiftest ship in the Navy, I really didn't see how Rob's comment was viewed as such an affront to Furthur. I think Eaton wanted to share his gratitude for the fans and the pride he feels from where this band has gone since JK left. I choose to be excited for where things are headed and let the music do the talking and not look at it as a business opportunity where somehow PR will be the only key to execution.

Just in the same way that Run Mary is entitled to her opinion about how the band should conduct themselves and should not be discouraged from speaking her mind, the band is going to do what it does. That said, although you might have a distatse for what Run Mary said, let's keep it classy folks. Discourse :icon14: Juvinile backlash :icon13:

Their appraoach may not be pallatable to everyone, but remember > Let your life proceed by it's own design....let the words be yours I am done with mine.

Archived