What was the first song you heard The Grateful Dead play (or for you younger folks, first Dead related tune, live)?

Herdygerdy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

This is a really great question/fun thread.

Half Step, 8/28/88, Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR

Jimmy Cliff opened, then Robert Cray Band, then GD.

I was a teenager still in high school and the impact was HUGE to finally dive into GD culture after listening to albums and tapes for a number of years. I didn't sleep a wink that night as the parking lot village (camping) was in full force with drumming all night and it all sparked this intense hum within my being that didn't settle down for weeks,,,I remember just being so baffled at trying to figure out where the hell all these cool freaky people CAME FROM!!

Great memories of stepping on the bus not knowing that it would be the ride of a lifetime!

• Advisory Board

I was a teenager still in high school and the impact was HUGE to finally dive into GD culture after listening to albums and tapes for a number of years. I didn't sleep a wink that night as the parking lot village (camping) was in full force with drumming all night and it all sparked this intense hum within my being that didn't settle down for weeks,,,I remember just being so baffled at trying to figure out where the hell all these cool freaky people CAME FROM!!

Great memories of stepping on the bus not knowing that it would be the ride of a lifetime!

That too was the $64,000 question going through my head at my first show... Remember walking through the parking lot at RFK, and thinking to myself... I've come home!! Since a young kid, I've always been into music.. had different styles of music that I went through, but never felt like "myself" when listening to certain types of music... then came along The Grateful Dead... listened to it, loved it, went to my first show, and saw all the freaks... I was home!! Still am!

• Forum MVP

That too was the $64,000 question going through my head at my first show... Remember walking through the parking lot at RFK, and thinking to myself... I've come home!! Since a young kid, I've always been into music.. had different styles of music that I went through, but never felt like "myself" when listening to certain types of music... then came along The Grateful Dead... listened to it, loved it, went to my first show, and saw all the freaks... I was home!! Still am!

And what a fine home it is!!! :) :)

2010 All Good. I had been really into classic rock with bands from europe, the who, zepplin, etc, I have also played guitar throughout my life, I was 19 years old. It was the second festival I had been to, first big one, It was pretty random how me and my girlfriend Riley ended up at All Good, we barely knew the scene but i heard from a friend it was paradise. It was the first day and I remember seeing all the steal your faces everywhere and wondering why so many people had dead shirts on. By night time we had dipped into the kool aid and it was in full force like we had never experienced before. Then DSO came on. We were on top of marvins mountain top not even realizing they had come on stage. The they broke out into a Scarlet Fire opener, probably the only song i knew at that time, it was perfect. By the time the segment ended our lives were changed forever, I had never heard such powerful yet beautiful music. The rest of the show is such a blur it's funny to try to remember it, I remember the second set opener only by someone shouting "eyes!" We just danced on top of the mountain looking down in awe at everything and everybody, the fireworks were the icing on the cake.

Today I am going to college, getting a degree in music, I play Jerry style guitar, I have a wonderful life immersed in GD music and am looking forward to another amazing summer. All thanks to that night.

To all the members of DSO I am eternally grateful.

• Forum MVP

I heard that guy Terry Pattapin is a complete loser, and Gaytards (a.k.a. Tinkerbell) lover...

I really can't speak for any of them but judging from the company he keeps it looks like Tinky has better taste than that.

• Forum MVP

Jesus H! Portchester, RFK 73, AoM 72, Cornell, Poplar 83, Austin Muni 72, Deer Creek 89, Hampton 85, and on and on....Serious barn-burners to be indoctrinated into the GD music scene. In listening to each of these shows many times (did see DC 89) I can only imagine how 'taken' I would have been. While my 1st show was ok, I was much more taken back by the scene than the music. Catching the spring 88 run at the Rosemont a couple days later was probably where the music truly swept me away (especially 4/15).

I was so excited about what I saw that I kidnapped a couple friends and dragged them to Apline after school got out. They decided to go for the party but were not big fans of the GD. Let's just they got infected by the music and to this day have never been interested in an antedote.

Silver Stadium 7-2-87

"Take A Step Back" before "Esau" - "Mexican Hat Dance" tuning before "China Cat"

Set List:

Hell in a Bucket

Bertha

Walkin' Blues

Dire Wolf

My Brother Esau

When Push Comes to Shove

Tons of Steel

Me and My Uncle

Mexicali Blues

Brown Eyed Women

Cassidy

Deal

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Samson and Delilah

Looks Like Rain

He's Gone

drums

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

All Along the Watchtower

Stella Blue

Sugar Magnolia

Black Muddy River **able to walk up to the box office and buy tix right before the show**

• Forum MVP

Morning Dew was first song of the set per Deadlists but what I really remember is the closing Turn On Your Love Light with PigPen just a couple feet away looking like he totally ruled the Park and could tell us hippies to do anything.....July 7, 1969 Piedmount Park, Atlanta

• Forum MVP

my first show was a jerry show ,11-1-75 early show

all by my self

catfish

thats what love

mission

pigs boogie

money honey

limbo

tough mama

mississippi moon

sugaree

mystery train

didn t know we were suposed to buy tix for both shows

first dead tune was sugaree roosevelt staduim 8-4-76

"first dead tune was sugaree roosevelt staduim 8-4-76"

I have such fond memories of this show...Was there with my arms wrapped around my honeys waist during this opening Sugaree...Swayin in the breeze without a care in the world. Sigh... Somewhere around my 10th show. I must say I certainly do remember there being much more equanimity in the guy/girl ratio in that space in time...

I thought this was interesting.... my first ever DSO show (w/ Scott L. and John K.) was 12/3/2004 started with Mississippi 1/2 step,

first show with Rob B on keys was 6/2/2005 started with Mississippi 1/2 step and finally first show with Jeff was 5/30/2010 and that as well started with Mississippi 1/2 step. Love that song!!

• Forum MVP

Jesus H! Portchester, RFK 73, AoM 72, Cornell, Poplar 83, Austin Muni 72, Deer Creek 89, Hampton 85, and on and on....Serious barn-burners to be indoctrinated into the GD music scene. In listening to each of these shows many times (did see DC 89) I can only imagine how 'taken' I would have been. While my 1st show was ok, I was much more taken back by the scene than the music.

That's exactly why, in my opinion, you DON'T want an epic fist show. Lot's of folks don't really get this because it's counterintuitive but just like you said, most of us, on our first show are coming up from single A or maybe double A and are not anywhere near ready for epicness. In other words, that epicness is completely wasted on us. "Yeah...that was a really fun time" is about all we can say in remembering that first show (I really liked that song Bertha etc...). I mean, it can be life changing in many other ways--I'm only referring to the MUSIC here.

You want a decent first show sure, but you want that epic show to be maybe your 10th show, when you are more used to the day-night double-headers and dealing with the press and the 24 hours sports media machine, etc.

• Advisory Board

That's exactly why, in my opinion, you DON'T want an epic fist show. Lot's of folks don't really get this because it's counterintuitive but just like you said, most of us, on our first show are coming up from single A or maybe double A and are not anywhere near ready for epicness. In other words, that epicness is completely wasted on us. "Yeah...that was a really fun time" is about all we can say in remembering that first show (I really liked that song Bertha etc...). I mean, it can be life changing in many ways but I'm only referring to the MUSIC here.

You want a decent first show sure, but you want that epic show to be maybe your 10th show, when you are more used to the day-night back to backs and dealing with the press and the 24 hours sports media machine, and so on.

Couldn't agree more with ya...

• Forum MVP

That's exactly why, in my opinion, you DON'T want an epic fist show. Lot's of folks don't really get this because it's counterintuitive but just like you said, most of us, on our first show are coming up from single A or maybe double A and are not anywhere near ready for epicness. In other words, that epicness is completely wasted on us. "Yeah...that was a really fun time" is about all we can say in remembering that first show (I really liked that song Bertha etc...). I mean, it can be life changing in many other ways--I'm only referring to the MUSIC here.

You want a decent first show sure, but you want that epic show to be maybe your 10th show, when you are more used to the day-night double-headers and dealing with the press and the 24 hours sports media machine, etc.

Agree, the deep seeded love of the music has not yet developed. An epic scene with a full bodied experience (tofu dogs, drum circles, camping in the lot, shakedown street, etc) is more likely to set the initial hooks. It quickly becomes more about the music (yeah, by about 10 shows in). If you love the scene, you'll love the music. If you love the music, you'll love the scene. They go together like bacon and bacon.

Archived