Saturday Fillmore

Island Bro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

One of the great joys of my life has been to play with Phil for as long as I have and still do. BUT, nothing compares to last night because its the first time I"ve gotten to play with him as an equal member and not as him being the leader and in a dictatorial roll. He was a member of a living organism that shook the Fillmore to its foundation last night!! The look of joy on my bandmates faces especially Kevin sitting off to the side in pure bliss was worth it all!!

Long live Phil, my hero and mentor!!!!! RB

One of the great joys of my life has been to play with Phil for as long as I have and still do. BUT, nothing compares to last night because its the first time I"ve gotten to play with him as an equal member and not as him being the leader and in a dictatorial roll. He was a member of a living organism that shook the Fillmore to its foundation last night!! The look of joy on my bandmates faces especially Kevin sitting off to the side in pure bliss was worth it all!!

Long live Phil, my hero and mentor!!!!! RB

What a great experience... wish i could have been there.... DSO rocks!!!

• Forum MVP

What David said...The middle section solo of Morning Dew is on some loop in my head...It was ridiculously powerful! Once again, kudos to Cotter...the sound in there was pristine!

The first solo in the Dew (the traditional solo) was as powerful as anything I've heard in a while. Just down your throat, scramble up your intestines and leave a hole where once was a beating heart. That kind of powerful.

Then Jeff, during the beginning of the quiet section at the end of Dew, sang "I guess it doesn't matter" and got pretty up there...almost soprano...and that place fell backwards on itself in that moment. I had to fight to keep my feet under me.

There were moments like these throughout the entire first set....every single song. This first set has to be on a very short list...it really wasn't a first set at all but a journey from earth to space and back to earth again and I guess we should have known as much when Barraco warned us using the now copyrighted crossroads bit "Buckle up kids.." Smiley.

its the first time I"ve gotten to play with him as an equal member and not as him being the leader and in a dictatorial roll. He was a member of a living organism that shook the Fillmore to its foundation last night!!

That was palpable. At the very end of the D Star, Mattson and Phil were working their way out of the last worm hole that band had opened up and Phil was seemingly going to end that song in what would have probably been a very beautiful manner but Mattson had his eyes closed cause he was climbing out of that worm hole--it was rapidly closing and you can't get stuck in those things--and ended it before Phil had a chance. Phil seemed a little taken aback but smiled after a moment as if to say...."Hey...this isn't MY band." It was actually a pretty cool moment in a night of some pretty cool moments.

It is a pleasure to read these short concise mother fucking reviews and to know it went as fucking well as anyone could have possibly fucking dreamed!

Jesus fucking Christ Chuck...what's with all the swearing?

My nephew reads these pages!!

:)

• Forum MVP

Here's how it started: DSO comes onstage, all in their respective places with two drummers and Lisa. Then some hand taps Rosen's shoulder from behind and he turns around and there's Phil with his customary wristband and bass and he says something to Kevin which he seems to agree with and nods as if he's heard a good idea. Then Rosen leaves stage right with Phil stepping in his place.

And then the Fillmore goes bonkers.

I never knew DSO could be so theatrical (!)

Wonder whose idea that was.

• Forum MVP

I've never been so excited in my life as last night. To call it a 'dream come true' is, for me, a massive understatement. I didn't even think it was possible. For years past we've discussed 'what it would be like if....', but when it became reality in front of my face it was surreal. The power, the potential energy on that stage and in that room, was greater than I've ever felt at a show in my life. This may be a matter of perception but I sure felt it. I'm so happy for and proud of Jeff for the way I felt like he sang and played last night with Phil. I have to say, I'd really like to hear them develop that sound some more!!

After the brilliance that was set one I wasn't sure what they would even do to follow but they threw down a perfect follow up set, if only they had 25 more minutes. Dear Prudence and China Doll were serious highlights for me....hell, the whole night was a highlight!!

Heading out in a few hours for Napa, night 5/5 in a row and 7th of the last 8....we're exhausted....but ready to get down one more time :P:D:lol:B)

• Forum MVP

Here's how it started: DSO comes onstage, all in their respective places with two drummers and Lisa. Then some hand taps Rosen's shoulder from behind and he turns around and there's Phil with his customary wristband and bass and he says something to Kevin which he seems to agree with and nods as if he's heard a good idea. Then Rosen leaves stage right with Phil stepping in his place.

And then the Fillmore goes bonkers.

I never knew DSO could be so theatrical (!)

Wonder whose idea that was.

Kevin's idea

• Forum MVP

So, for me, Phil performing with DSO last night confirms that ALL former Dead members are drinking the DSO kool-aid. I gotta say that whether real or not, even having rumored tension between Furthur and DSO always left a knot in my stomach. IMHO this night puts to rest all rumors, perceptions, etc. Phil is who we thought he was. A cool somebitch. Looking at that set list, there's no way he left that stage without feeling "like the ol' days". I'm just sitting here relishing the thought that he might have gone home and thought to himself, "that's best musical experience I've had since Jerry died". Anyway, I'm kinda drifting off the topic of reviews, but this is so awesome and I'm so jealous of those in attendance. Harmony prevails in the world of Grateful Dead music. Actually it's always there, we just lose sight of it sometimes. Hell yeah, i'm pumped up!

• Forum MVP

Yeah,,it was kinda unreal.

The morning dew jam that has already been mentioned was just phenomenal because Jeff and Phil were really feeding each other and weaving something rather intense as they blew the shit out of the roof together with full support of the rest of the band who were right there behind them. Jeff and Phil were exchanging glances with each other as it was happening and I caught a glimpse of Phil's eyes going completely bug-eyed toward Jeff as he reflected back the same kind of possessed demon that we know Jeff to be at times....they were in trance land together pushing each other's limits and it was REALLY something to witness and hear and feel...

Some interesting stuff during space that Barraco was moving through with the others that I would call the "minstrel jam",,,,if you get to listen to it I think you will hear what I mean...

I had another experience last night that has only ever happened to me a couple other times in my life and never to this degree...some time during the second set, and I just can't remember where exactly, but I want to say it was shortly before China Doll, there was a jam occurring that led to me completely losing control of my body. After having danced to live music for over a couple decades now, I am very familiar with the experience that happens when the music just dances your body and you need to

put no effort into it whatsoever,,,but this passage was different...there was a point where the jamming was so intense that my body was absolutely grabbed by it and just ripped by it, where I was so far from having any control of it that a couple drops of fear even came upon me, before just allowing and trusting that the music and band would take it to a really good place, and eventually the convulsions settled into a more typical space of being danced by the music. Very hard to describe , but it was a little like a possession or something and DAMN it felt good!!

Being raked over the coals once in a while can sure be cleansing for the spirit!

Epic is definitely one of the words that works to help define the experience of being present for this particular show...and huge thanks to the great familar folks around to help create some spacious dance space with lovely energy last night...it was absolutely delicious!

Also huge thanks to the band and crew for making it happen,,,,I'm glad Barraco asked Phil to come around and I'm really glad that Phil chose to and something tells me that Phil is really glad that he stopped by last night!!!!

This was a "rocking chair" show that I know I'll be telling stories of at age 87 if I get to make it that long...

• Advisory Board

I had another experience last night that has only ever happened to me a couple other times in my life and never to this degree...some time during the second set, and I just can't remember where exactly, but I want to say it was shortly before China Doll, there was a jam occurring that led to me completely losing control of my body. After having danced to live music for over a couple decades now, I am very familiar with the experience that happens when the music just dances your body and you need to

put no effort into it whatsoever,,,but this passage was different...there was a point where the jamming was so intense that my body was absolutely grabbed by it and just ripped by it, where I was so far from having any control of it that a couple drops of fear even came upon me, before just allowing and trusting that the music and band would take it to a really good place, and eventually the convulsions settled into a more typical space of being danced by the music. Very hard to describe , but it was a little like a possession or something and DAMN it felt good!!

---------------------------------------

dance space with lovely energy last night...it was absolutely delicious!

--------------------------------------

I tell you, it THE FILLMORE!!! That place is SOOO full of GREAT ENERGY it's insane!!! I utterly hate the fact that I couldn't be at that run of shows at the Fillmore!! That place by far is my favorite venue on the planet. I've been to a bunch of great old school venues on this place we call Earth, but by far, The Fillmore is THE SHIT!! Every time I've been there, for the most part, I was sober for most of the shows, and I swear I didn't even need to take a puff or two.. Leaving that place I always felt to high, just from the massive amount of energy that flows through that joint.

I hope that next time DSO plays there, I'll be able to swing the plane tickets, show tickets, and a hotel room... cause if I can, I'm there!!

• Forum MVP

I tell you, it THE FILLMORE!!! That place is SOOO full of GREAT ENERGY it's insane!!! I utterly hate the fact that I couldn't be at that run of shows at the Fillmore!! That place by far is my favorite venue on the planet. I've been to a bunch of great old school venues on this place we call Earth, but by far, The Fillmore is THE SHIT!! Every time I've been there, for the most part, I was sober for most of the shows, and I swear I didn't even need to take a puff or two.. Leaving that place I always felt to high, just from the massive amount of energy that flows through that joint.

I hope that next time DSO plays there, I'll be able to swing the plane tickets, show tickets, and a hotel room... cause if I can, I'm there!!

I hear ya about the Fillmore, man...some serious JUJU in that joint...! I look forward to more time in that hall in the future after being initiated in it this weekend...was a hell of an initiation!!!

• Forum MVP

used to call it the "phil star orchestra" in dreamy jest when discussing the "ultimate" band. dark star orchestra with phil (no offense meant to Kevin, of course!) is something I have literally dreamed of before and recorded in my dream journal (sometimes it was John up there, sometimes Jeff) so to get to actually BE THERE was mind boggling on every level of time and space.

After seeing what the Phil and Bob machine did to JK (shudder) it just thrilled me through and through to see JK's creation, DSO, really make Phil PLAY WITH them instead of at them or at the same time as them or control them... every time he tried that Mattson just KEPT PLAYING a LOOOOONG time after Phil was looking at him to move on or waiting for a physical cue outside of the music i thought to myself, YEAH JEFF, that was for JOHNNY!

If there was one person I wish could have been there last night, it was JK, down in the crowd. I wish he could have seen what his creation has become, he would be SO PROUD! It was his dream that made this night happen for us ALL, and I couldn't be more grateful.

I was glancing at Barraco chatting it up with people in the balcony band area every little while waiting for the show to start when I noticed they were all coming down and WHOA who was THAT, that was PHIL LESH following them down the stairs! Now, I had heard the "rumor", but I had also been a good girl and put it mostly out of my mind until walking through the doors and hearing all the chatter, but I still didn't know exactly how it was going to work, so when I saw him coming down with the band I knew we were in for it for a set!

It was the most adorable and silly thing to see Kevin come out (I think he even waved all goofy and stuff) just to have Phil suddenly appear right next to him, mimicking his movements to do a very funny replacement swap to the loud, deafening cheers of the audience. Phil looked so excited and the whole band and every person in the crowd was breathless with anticipation.

Buckle in, he said, so I strapped my lil unicorn hat in (which I don't do so often anymore, not cause the music isn't as good, just because it gets so hot, but he said the words, so I had to do as I was told! Thanks for the warning, it was necessary to keep any semblance of my face intact!)

Jack Straw was the perfect opening choice, I definitely watched the room slide into another dimension as the song began. That really as PHIL playing up there, making all the sounds I needed to hear! Like every song in the first set, they seemed to go on forever. Here Comes Sunshine was lovely and bright and the smiles on Phil's face were unforgettable. I stood there in front of Jeff watching him be the leader of a big ol band thinking, YES, all the stars are aligned this night!

HAHA Stranger!! OH YEAH! Joking about the familiar venue and Phil making the gestures of "especially him" in good humor and great joy. Getting on with the show never sounded so goooooood!!!! When they made it to Dark Star I wondered if I should go find Mango in the back, but there was NO WAY I was gonna leave my area in front of Jeff with mothafreakin phil leah on that stage to my left just bouncing and booming along on his bass with that ridiculous grin on his face! so I stayed and was rewarded with a great first verse and a masterful PLayin that I still can't quite find my way out of.... so good!

When they did the stranger, I ran to find Mango. Got to him and we danced in front of Cotter the rest of the show. SO breathtaking, I can't believe I actually witnessed THAT! Phil seemed VERY impressed with our dear Lisa and I could tell the whole band was brimming with pride on being able to pull of that kind of performance and that they hadn't even gotten to....

EYES!!!!!! Dark star and eyes in one set (FIRST set!) with PHIL playing and THEN THE DEW! WHAT THE FREAKIN FRACK!? Good goddess that was beyond words.... I can't, you guys, I just CANNOT tell you how amazing this was to experience, each breath I was scared I was going to wake up from this most epic dream but with each step I just danced deeper into the reality that was happening before my eyes..... oh EYES!!!!! The Dew shook the place to the core and no one was left unaffected. Back to playin and it could have been the whole show but we still had a whole second set to look forward to!

I got the setlist from Jeff after the show and it said Box of Rain in parenthesis at the bottom, and I am so glad they decided to leave it at Playin.... much more tasteful.

Setbreak was a wonder to behold, with everyone chattering in joy and Dstone, your energy at that point was particularly amazing to behold, thank you for that!

Back into the much to smoky room and Shakedown to open had the place dancing so hard I thought the roof was gonna cave in. SF sure is a wacky place and that crowd gets DOWN to some shakedown! St Stephen and I am sad they didn't get to the WIlliam Tell and Eleven as they had written on the setlist, but it was because the songs had all been so well played and I understand the sacrifices necessary for greatness of what is at hand. Besides, the transition into Prudence was out of this world and I think that was the best Prudence I have ever heard and I am grateful to have been a part of it. What is WILD is that the second set was as strong (stronger in some ways) than the first set with Phil.... this band is IT, I'm telling ya!

Dear Prudence, oh my, def a highlight from this tour, then as I am having a best show ever moment, they go to Alligator which despite some getting carried away in the moment lyrically, and I get my spacegator (though they didn't get to return to it as planned on the list) to really set it off! not to sad they didn't get the UJB in there they planned, cause out of the drums>space to China Doll was PERFECT and I LOST MY MIND! DEW AND DOLL in one SHOW! dark star and eyes in one set! stephen prudence oh my gosh just the best a girl could long for!

Seriously, magical China Doll and we picked her up all fractured and went going down that road feeling so bad we felt GOOOOD! great encore choice and

THAT was a CONCERT! they DO make em like they used to, after all! ;)

Archived