no free DSO show in Springfield, Oh. this summer

evilive

• Forum MVP

Thank you FOUnd, you have inspired me. Dug through my harddrive and updated my ipod with all the Jazz I have, which is not enough still. Got some Bud Powell goin right now, Love all things piano.

Neither one of us mention Louis Armstrong?? That's just not right.

When you say records, do you mean vinyl? Cause I want to steal your music:)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I mean vinyl. You spin me right round baby right round, like a record baby, right round, round round.

I do have plenty of jazz on my HD as well.

I do love satchmo's voice but I'm not so insane about him.

I forgot a couple amazing guitarists. John McLaughlin, Scofield, Al Di Meola, Larry Coryell.

• Forum MVP

Thank you FOUnd, you have inspired me. Dug through my harddrive and updated my ipod with all the Jazz I have, which is not enough still. Got some Bud Powell goin right now, Love all things piano.

Neither one of us mention Louis Armstrong?? That's just not right.

When you say records, do you mean vinyl? Cause I want to steal your music:)

I received a turntable type device for Xmas where your iPad plugs in and you can record vinyl to it

• Forum MVP

For me.....and I hear, and know the jazz to it, but its bluegrass-----Its a complete geniune fusion of American original. Yea, I hear the improv jazz------but at the same time, that would not have twang or as much of a spritual impact if it was not for the blue grass invloved.

Hmmm.....I paint such broad strokes, my fault.... my own quest, define my own words!!!

I am twanged and moved by the spirtual words and movement of the Blue Grass, but I get lost and refound in the Jazzy side!!

That is my love of the music. And I am at crossroads now typing on DSO forum. Is it my love of GD or the music now performed by DSO, and how do I express that---my own turmoil begins!!!!!!!!!!!

But the Jazz is nothing with out the country roots brotha---------and vice versa. Fuck-----i just got my self lost in thought-----

Hmmmm-------is it GD or DSO----internal crossroads!!! GD created, DSO recreated, and is moving forward, who does the credit now belong too? Your forum, your music I long to hear.....but I am still coming out of a long slumber sleep from missing GD--

LOL------Does the student ever become better than the Teacher? Jerry could never be replaced---but for the future of generations, I hope he is well emulated---and I think so---

Sorry----drunk thoughts---football blah----done with those years---------and I played beyond high school---------------but I am so happy not to see Daisy Dukes on stage anymore!!!!! Or maybe I have not seen a summer show:} I hope not the case, unless its Lisa:}

• Forum MVP

Bluegrass was born of Jazz. Jazz was born of Blues. Blues came from the people we enslaved. The truest 'american' music started here...Grateful Dead was born from this, and some other places too(folk, Chuck Berry, etc..). But in a sense, Americana is all about improv, no?

• Forum MVP

Bluegrass was born of Jazz. Jazz was born of Blues. Blues came from the people we enslaved. The truest 'american' music started here...Grateful Dead was born from this, and some other places too(folk, Chuck Berry, etc..). But in a sense, Americana is all about improv, no?

Bluegrass Appalachia never heard of Jazz!! Really-----still to this day, there are hollows that no nothing of Jazz----so it s hard for me to agee that Bluegrass was born out of Jazz!!! More born out of the Irish/Scotts population of the wester expansion!!!

Jazz--A brotha thing-------Blue Grass----as white Irish/Scott as you can get. The two evolved seperatly, but pronouced definatievly in many of music, but most best defined by GD---in my opinion!!!!!!

I got lots of opinion, but 1 ass, so please do not confuse my shit talking for my real thoughts!!

The Jazz===yea====but when we dance to Tjeds, Blues, Rounds---fuck ... the songs are long, its grass-----blessd with blues!!!

LOL----As I stated before.....I know no music, but I know GD. Each tune different, exact, and revealing with hidden messages!!!

Music beyond words, but words beyond music--the joy and mystery, but by far not bounded by 1 genera!!!!!!!!!\

jazz----ok----but I prefer the blue side .....I see both, but I favor my roots:}

Springfield is an awesome venue in a cool town, great place to see the band, and in the great state of OHIO to boot. And the show's not really free unless you stiff the the hat being passed around to support the arts council. Hopefully what Rob was letting us all know is that rumors are just that, especially when coming from those with a decided axe to grind.

We are plenty spoiled by DSO here in OHIO, and two more wonderful shows less than a week away! How lucky we all are to still have such wonderful muscians facilitating the transcendence of time and space in a bubble of like minded folks. Feel the love...spread the love...the world needs it.

Disco Pizza most definitely rocks!

• Forum MVP

Love reading other post!! Please yall....post more. I enjoy the talk, as I am sure others do as well!!

I asked this question privately, but allow me to please ask others. Why is Ohio so Blessed?

Why favor NE for tour? Ticket sales? Vibe--what? My state not as blessed:{

I always ask why....since I was a child:} I just stopped accepting because as a answer!!!

Night!!!!!!!!!!!

IM just grateful for all the shows they play in and around Ohio I live in Lawrenceburg IN. where not much goes on so all the winter tour dates keep me goin through the winter last year was the first time i made it to springfield and loved it if its not goin on this year thats fine how many other bands play so much and give so much to there fans see ya in Cov ky and columbus!!!

• Forum MVP

If it doesn't apply to you than don't take it personally. There has been common theme of Ohio heads coming on here and bitching about this and that. I'm not saying you shouldn't love the show or be bummed that it might not happen, but don't come out attack the manager of the band(which I realize you aren't doing).

It's all good. Just did not want it to sound like we were not appreciative of the shows we get, we are.

It always amazes (amuses) me how a thread can totally change subjects! Kinda reminds of the old deadnet forum - just one run-on thread.

Was thinking the same thing, though I was thinking back to alt.music.dead

Why is Ohio so Blessed?

Probably because 50 percent of the US population is within 500 miles...or the natural beauty...or the crazy hippies...

• Forum MVP

It always amazes (amuses) me how a thread can totally change subjects! Kinda reminds of the old deadnet forum - just one run-on thread.

Hey, whadda ya think of the go-daddy commercial at the superbowl?

Thread creep is a strange and wondrous thing, and dead.net was almost stream of consciousness by a rotating cast of characters.

I thought the go-daddy commercial ultimately was kind of disturbing. On the other hand the Paul Harvey - Dodge one was brilliant and beautiful. IMHO.

Regarding the Go-Daddy commercial the comment was aimed at irony after posting about morphing threads. Editorial comment RE: Go-Daddy - they SUCK, they are the Walmart of domain registration. The only good thing about them is Danica Patrick.

As for O-HI-O shows it comes in 5th with 115 shows, behind Illinois with 279 (Most of them at Martyrs'), California and Colorado are tied at 179 (for sun1869: 85 in VA)

North Dakota had the least - only one show. Hawaii and South Dakota are at ZERO.

• Forum MVP

Drank a couple pints at the Guinness Brew in Dublin.  Found out that a Brit conglomerate bought them out decade so earlier.  Sort of sad, but the drink was absolutley the best you will ever taste of Guinness!! 

You exit, and some old Irish Man was out there with the Guiness style horse and carriage.  Thought he was part of the tour and passed him a few coins, just to find out he hangs out there getting coins for good drink from the yankees, but he was dressed the part!.  I love the Irish.    Got a picutre with the Old Gezzer:}   Classic.  On the way home, sang Johnny Horton's 1814 to some Irish going to London for a holiday--------if you know the words, you know why they cheered, laughed, and bought me drinks the whole ferry home!!

Peace-----guess you reminded me of a story===wrong place to share-----oh welll--------No one on topic anyways

So

• Forum MVP

I grew up on Johnny's Hortons clean music, and still sing it often to my lil ones!!  I prob got to give credit to Johnny for getting me into history at a early age.   Actually----the GD...now DSO  seemed to be a natural personal musical  progression from being exposed early to  folk...bluegrass...country.  

Listend to so much Marty Robins on family road trips through the mountains of Southwest VA, Norteast TN, and Northwest NC------imagine how Happy I was to hear GD first sing EL Paso.

I was like holy horseshoes-------GD plays Marty------I think these guys might be ok:}-------------------lol

Thanks Michelle for sharing.    Very few people that I have met over the years know about JHorton. 

Your words brought on a morning smile:}

Ok back to the subject at hand. Don't believe the hype abt no springfield show...I do recall Rob saying they loved the venue and setting of Springfield after last years show...now I really hope they do return because it is a beautiful place to see a dso show...last year was my wifes first dso show (at Springfield) which then led to her begging me to go to jubilee( which is a first because this isn't really her scene or musical interest ) and she can't wait to go back..which we are btw....so the Springfield show kinda has special place w me as it brought my wife and I even closer together. So I hope they do return. Thanks and have a grateful day .....

Archived