Best Vocal Performance

FunkyBass13

• Forum MVP

So I'm sure, like a lot of you, I listen to predominantly live music as opposed to studio recordings. I always like feel the emotion that the artists project while actually playing live as a group. When its hot, you can feel the emotion coming through the speakers and, hopefully, make you feel like you are there.

I am, from time to time, just blown away with the energy that some can create with a studio recording. I often find myself thinking "if every studio album sounded like that, I wouldn't "need" live music as much". I had one of those moments today and it got me thinking about some of the best studio performances.

I decided that I would love to get other's impressions on their favorite studio performances and figured, I would start with vocal performances. Even though its not manditory, I figured it would be easiest to stick with rock & roll vocals because if you start throwing other genres in there, the list could simply be endless, which it could with rock vocals but you have to start somewhere right?

So my vote for best rock vocal performance on a record goes to:

Robert Plant - Since I've Been Loving You

Does it get much better and primal than Plant on that song? I mean, you can feel the rage in his voice on some of those screams and, frankly, it just gives me the chills.

What are some other "greatest" performances?

What's interesting Rel is that that's one of my favorite Zep tunes and if I had to pick best vocal ever (outside of Jerry), I would completely agree with your selection.

FYI, may be in your town next week (3/20).

• Forum MVP

For me, with respect to pure vocal quality, it's hard for me to put any singer ahead of Van Morrison. I've been a lush for Van since my early college days. His album Astral Weeks ('68) is about as good as it gets. While I love the entire album, in particular the song Astral Weeks is phenomenal. Every word sung with perfect intonation and dripping with the emotion only the author of the song could muster. Here's a link to the whole album on youtube. Enjoy if you haven't heard it in a while and especially if you've never heard it. (The first tune is Astral Weeks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2qr5EP74zk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived