3rd Annual Meet-Up at the Movies > Sunshine Daydream

Tea

• Forum MVP

Since I am unfortunately anchored close to home and not able to catch any live celebrations of Jerry's birthday, I am psyched to be taking this in:

grateful-dead-fathom-meetup-sunshine-day

On a blistering summer day in 1972, the Grateful Dead took the stage on the grounds of the Oregon Country Fair in Veneta, Ore. for what would become one of the most legendary concerts of the band’s storied history. Join us this summer when we screen the previously unreleased concert film “Sunshine Daydream” as part of our now annual Grateful Dead Meet Up At The Movies.

Originally shot on 16mm film and painstakingly restored to HD resolution, "Sunshine Daydream" captures the band at the height of their powers (fresh off the Europe ’72 tour) and at the epicenter of the counterculture movement. Special features include never-before-seen footage of the concert day as well as recently recorded interviews with key participants from the time such as Ken Babbs, Sam Cutler, Wavy Gravy and Carolyn "Mountain Girl" Garcia, who provide insight on how the community came together for this special event to help raise money to keep the local town’s Springfield Creamery afloat. This extraordinary screening also shines a spotlight on some mighty fine tunes, with a playlist containing all new Stereo and 5.1 Audio mixes done by Jeffrey Norman at TRI Studios in San Rafael, Calif. and mastered by Grammy® winning engineer David Glasser at Air Show Mastering in Boulder, Colorado, with tape transfer and restoration by Plangent Processes.

"Sunshine Daydream" will only be playing on the silver screen for one night! Come along and connect with Dead Heads in your neighborhood on Thursday, August 1 at 7:30 p.m. local time.

Tickets are now available at www.FathomEvents.com.

The Alpine show from last year was good fun and brought back some awesome memories.  I'm looking forward to the huge upgrade of sight and sound - especially to get another good listen of the Bird Song and Dark Star.  Based on sensibilities in my neck of the woods, I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one dancing in the asiles!  :headbang:

Anyone else goin?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liz and I are in! I called theater two days ago, and they had sold 54 tix. I asked how many seats in theater-300. He said I'd be ok to get tix day of, but still gonna stop tonight on way home tonight. I kinda hope there'll be more peeps, just to keep it interesting! Looking forward to it. Have fun to all who decide to attend.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I'm in. The last two years it was myself and a couple of girls dancing at the top of the aisles. This was out of a total of about 23 in attendance, so for once room was not an issue. We did keep our clothes on, for better or worse, and I have no reason to doubt that the situation will be the same this time around.

I'm in for the showing in Paramus, NJ... any others going, too?  I did see the showing way back in 2002 at the 92nd Street "Y" in NYC, and boy, was it a tear-jerker (in a GOOD way!). Being able to see that "Bird Song", which is missing on all circulating boots of this film, was an emotional experience, to say the least. Also, that screen was fairly small, compared to the huge one in Paramus... can't wait !!!

• Forum MVP

sounds cool but there is a local show here on the same night. Shady Groove. Never seen em before but the bass player from JGB is in the band. Mostly jgb covers. Should be fun. And of course Jerry Day at the Jerry Garcia Amphitheater....Stu Allen and Mars Hotel and JGB. Tends to be a bit of a shit show but I'll go.

• Forum MVP

Stu Allen and Mars hotel, JGB is a shit show? Man > if that's drek to you, you have it good where you are! I can't even bear to endure the hacks around here...

• Forum MVP

Stu Allen and Mars hotel, JGB is a shit show? Man > if that's drek to you, you have it good where you are! I can't even bear to endure the hacks around here...

It certainly isn't the music that is a shit show. It's the crowd/venue layout that is. If you like to dance, this isn't the event for you. I'll still go....who knows, maybe i'll carve out some space. This event is more about gathering in honor of Jerry....many people just sit on the hill on blankets and watch/listen....not my style, I can listen to jerry at home.

and fyi, i'm from the east coast, I know all about it.

• Forum MVP

Wish i could say the same as crazy digits but Psyched to catch this flick on a big IMAX screen over in Bellingham with an old buddy--we used to listen to crappy tapess of this show when we were teenagers and have always had a sweet spot for it. Be prepared for a dark star that takes you WAY out there to the point of being thankful to be able to come back into a smooth landing out in west Texas...

Nice to know that thousands of other deadheads will be celebrating Jerry's B-day with this footage across the land...enjoy!

:)

I still like snacks and spirits!!

I too will sneak in a little sumtin' to mix w/ my soda.. :o ..hey, it's over two hours long!! Wonder if they have Soda Water on tap? Doubtful...

I was joking w/ the girl at the tix counter when she asked if I had a rewards card-I said no-she asked if I wanted one-I said "no, the last movie I saw at a theater was Jurrasic Park"-she said "I hope it was the remake". No, the original, circa 1992??

Then I asked if they sell beer-No, hence the first part of my post. There are theaters that serve drinks at your seats now. Self serve tonight! :cheers:

:dsorocks:

Archived