3rd Annual Meet-Up at the Movies > Sunshine Daydream

Tea

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, indeed... that Sing Me Back Home always gives me goosebumps, and to see sun setting over the crowd in the movie last night was just heartrenchingly beautiful. Jerry really poured his soul into this version, and I will be forever grateful that they were able to rescue the footage for this song, even though the video quality was only fair. As I mentioned before, Bird Song was also a treat for the ears and eyes, especially being able to witness Jerry's fretwork during those amazing jams!  This song was also missing on all circulating copies of the film prior to the showing in a few theaters back in 2002. Also of note were the slightly informative and sometime hilarious interviews before the concert began.

I tried to get a ticket for the AMC in Paramus, but it was sold out, so I got one for the showing in Edgewater, which only had maybe 30 people in attendance. Noboby danced, but I had fun bopping and grooving in my seat, and I swear the smile did not leave my face for the entire two hours. FINALLY, the movie is due to be released on DVD, and when I got home from the theater I immediately went online to reserve a copy of the CD's/DVD on pre-order through Dead.net. They said the ship date would be approximately 9/17. I simply cannot wait to at last be able to enjoy this "holy grail" in the comfort of my own digs, controlling the volume, consuming what I want, and dancing like a madman. I have been looking forward to that day for a long, LONG time !!!

• Forum MVP

Well, I just got home from the local showing and I have to say I had a real good time.

Getting stoked for Richmond this weekend!!    

SMBH was gorgeous indeed.

I love these early 70's Bird Song's.......probably my fave of the nite. I very much enjoyed the film before the film setting the contextual stage for THE film.

EAT MORE YOGURT !!!      :grouphug:

• Forum MVP

I have to say that filmmaker seemed a little too pervy.  Im like keep the damn camera on jerry vs zooming on the naked guy behind him on that pole!!  If you notice he had shorts on later in the show.  thank god.

I was upset that they edited way too much of the show out.  We were expecting more songs :/  The sound quality was good though which was surprising after 2 years ago watching that Alpine Valley show which had poor sound in the theater.

• Forum MVP

I was more than a little taken back by the naked pole-humper:

866344.jpg

The spots that received the greatest applause:  End of Bird Song, Dark Star melting into El Paso, and when the pole humper finally appeared with some shorts on.  I love to watch Jerry spin the magical web but this kook was an unfortunate detractor. 

Yeah > Wish we could have gotten more of the straight-up performance.  Happy with it overall though........

• Forum MVP
here's one of the better attempts i've ever seen of describing the music of the Grateful Dead in words....

"With the sun still high in the sky, the band takes the stage once again. They open with what is arguably the most psychedelic "playing in the band" of their career. The song starts laid back- it's still hot as hell and their clearly tripping. But once they finish the opening lyrics and begin to jam, another transformation occurs. With the words out of the way, the need to play according to some preordained structure disappears and deep astral space travel immediately becomes the modus operandi. The musical conversation begins to soar, metamorphosing rapidly from one surreal climax to the next. One moment the music is turbulent and chaotic; the next it is a tightly bound ascending spiral soaring upward and inward. As the ensemble's creative intuition leads it further into uncharted realms, a miraculous series of musical epiphanies begin to occur. As each peaks, it then dissolves and is replaced by newer, more complex, fractal music patterns. For the 'expanded' listener this swirling, melting, boiling music appears to mimic the chaotic evolutionary character of nature. One thought is inescapable: this is unlike any other music the Dead have ever played.....This is VERY SERIOUS!!"

Like · · Share · Promote · 16 minutes ago ·

•  
  • 211505_100003151459639_898641190_q.jpg
    Mango Aaron Steen "it quickly becomes evident that Jerry in particular has moved into an optimal performance level. After years of serious devotion to mastering creative discipline, a musician may arrive at a point where there is no longer separation between player and instrument: they are one. As one, they become a conduit through which a higher energy can express itself. The marriage of instrument/body/mind/spirit becomes a tuner-amplifier. One gets the feeling when listening to this particular 'playing in the band' that Jerry, who is playing music faster than he could possibly think it, as fast as he's ever played for that matter, is allowing the spirit of the music to play itself through him. One might go as far as to say that he is amplifying the normally unperceived holographic, harmonic signature of cosmic consciousness. More simply said: He's tripping! And amazing he's completely on the mark- not one breathtakingly fast note is off! This is the Grateful Dead doing what they labored for years to accomplish, playing visionary music of the highest caliber, going where no artists had gone before."

um, yea, that's what I was thinking....

• Forum MVP

(Some Dude)......As the ensemble's creative intuition leads it further into uncharted realms, a miraculous series of musical epiphanies begin to occur. As each peaks, it then dissolves and is replaced by newer, more complex, fractal music patterns. For the 'expanded' listener this swirling, melting, boiling music appears to mimic the chaotic evolutionary character of nature.

(Mango).....is allowing the spirit of the music to play itself through him. One might go as far as to say that he is amplifying the normally unperceived holographic, harmonic signature of cosmic consciousness.

While this content is all good, the statements above SPEAK to me.  There is no way I could say it any better.  Mind = Blown.  Mango > You and I have to talk sometime :)

• Forum MVP

the description of the dark star is similarly awesome and way longer, too long for me to transcribe. I recommend finding a copying of 'The Deadhead's taping compendium" vol's 1 2 and 3. good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Unfortunate circumstances forced me to miss this in the theater, but I am more than excited to have a Blu-Ray/CD package coming next month.  I’m particularly stoked that this was recorded on 16 track audio masters – a la Europe ’72.  So the sound quality should be phenomenal. 

One lament about the Europe tour was that Bird Song had temporarily dropped out of the rotation and wasn’t played.  Problem solved on this release!

On Another Message Board DSTONE Wrote "During That PITB And Especially That Dark Star,Garcia Produces Some Of The Heaviest

Moments In The History Of History"......And We All Know How DSTONE Feels About That Show That Being His Vanity Plate 8/27/72

• Forum MVP

On Another Message Board DSTONE Wrote "During That PITB And Especially That Dark Star,Garcia Produces Some Of The Heaviest

Moments In The History Of History"......And We All Know How DSTONE Feels About That Show That Being His Vanity Plate 8/27/72

Miss me some DStone.  Can find him in the Zone but I feel like I need a shower after spending much time over there.

He's right > there are some moments that are truly transcendent. I have not the requisite cognition to describe the effect > there was a bridge to another dimension that afternoon and the band ran right across it and never looked back. 

• Forum MVP

not on topic; however, listening to Park West, Utah 8/20/1987 second set opening tuning sounds like Phil does a few opening thunders of Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love", wonderin' if the dead could have ever pulled off a zep tune? There is an interview in Rolling Stone from 1990 where they ask Jimmy Page "How does it feel to be the world's best guitarist?" Page answer: "I don't know.... you'll have to ask Garcia"   anybody else hear hints of zep through the GD archives? Check out this link for Guy Clark's latest masterpiece "My Favorite Picture of You" he has the whole album up for free

http://www.guyclark.com/#jukebox

back to topic....glad SS Daydream finally made it to a screen, hopefully, they'll play it again like they did with The GD movie a few years back. SS Daydream was a strict no copy back in 1989

• Forum MVP

There is an interview in Rolling Stone from 1990 where they ask Jimmy Page "How does it feel to be the world's best guitarist?" Page answer: "I don't know.... you'll have to ask Garcia"  

:wub:

R.214%20LED%20ZEP%20PAGE%20VIOLIN%20BOW.

• Forum MVP

that doesn't count. it's a traditional song.

i think d'yer maker could have worked!

Frank did some decent versions of Stairway To Heaven on his last tour in 88

I still think Phil was trying out Whole Lotta love at the beginning of the second set in Park West August 1987, kinda like the foxy lady that is credited from that 60's second set opener that went into Viola Lee?

Archived