Portland 4/18

Island Bro

First show of '77. First Terrapin and Estimated played and them having being played in the first set attest to your point, Island Bro. Cool stuff. Glad they played a fitting Samson & Delilah :)

Set 1

Terrapin Station 
New Minglewood Blues 
They Love Each Other 
Estimated Prophet 
Sugaree 
Mama Tried 
Deal 
Playing In The Band ->
The Wheel ->
Playing In The Band 

Set 2

Samson And Delilah 
Tennessee Jed 
The Music Never Stopped 
Help On The Way ->
Slipknot! ->
Franklin's Tower 
The Promised Land 
Eyes Of The World ->
Jam ->
Dancing In The Street ->
Around And Around 

Encore
U.S. Blues

Filler: ??????

• Forum MVP

ok ok so here i am at our first solo hotel room of the tour finishing up all the reviews I missed, basking in the after glow of so many shows and remembering that this is the day last year that I put Gabriel in the hospital with a peanut allergy that resulted in us being together ever since.  what a long strange trip its been! sometime you get shown the light in the STRANGEST of places, after all.

we actually left partway through second set last night in portland cause we were so exhausted and it was pretty smoky and it was COMPLETELY OVERSOLD, like 800-1000 people in that little place and there was no where to dance that the other people with no where to dance didn't end up right away and that as in the "walk ways" so it was just impossible and I was grateful to be sober and just head out…. BUT, the SHOW was EPIC! and ALL of the people that were so packed in were REALLY cool and I am glad they were all there, it just left so little space! people were handing out tickets, herbs and loving smiles left and right the whole night so we left feeling only gratitude towards loving portland.

terrapin to open the show!?! could only mean one thing!!!! they really gathered the energy to pull it off, even right out of the gate.  the minglewood and tleo were super fun to dance to and we had that floor really bouncing all through the first half of first set when we still had our group centralized and compacted.  the estimated was a lil creepy and bewildering, just how I like it but it was the playin wheel playin that felt best in the first set.  totally felt like a second set, and that is so just how I like it.

glad we didn't miss the filler. the first half of second set that we caught was amazing, but we couldn't keep out space and it was just time to go.  love you guys, see you tonight, where we will have one more……...

• Forum MVP

Kiiiiiillllleerrr fuckin show last night, they just absolutely slayed it once again. It was crowded but there is room to dance if you persist. Got taken down front at the start of eyes and it changed my life. This shit rocks.

• Forum MVP

Kiiiiiillllleerrr fuckin show last night, they just absolutely slayed it once again. It was crowded but there is room to dance if you persist. Got taken down front at the start of eyes and it changed my life. This shit rocks.

Up front is where it's at!!!

• Forum MVP

Okay. So this is on nugs.net! Download has revealed to me thus far.... Skip thumps the bass in a fantastic break it down way at the end of Eyes and RobB transitions out of the solo in such a beautiful jazzy way. Love this!!!

Amidst cooking lunch.... Orange molasses glazed chicken, deviled eggs, Mac n cheese, fried okra, collards, peppers and onions. Get down y'all!!

Yum....so much fun. Such a gift to hear this particular show. First Terrapin and first Estimated...but beyond that...the set list is just insane...a non-stop smoker. The front was indeed the place to be. I loved that we got to hear Rob E belt Samson after the architectural issues from a couple nights before. Skip just adds a really amazing dimension folks...the solo on the Eyes was awesome! Lisa...I always love hearing you sing the breakdowns for TMNS. The band was as tight as ever...Jesus the help slip frank....Thank you for this gift. Who knows how long it lasts...just know you are very very loved!

• Forum MVP

Amidst cooking lunch.... Orange molasses glazed chicken, deviled eggs, Mac n cheese, fried okra, collards, peppers and onions. Get down y'all!!

Better get you a stick cause you're about to attract some husbands.

I offer bodyguard services for DSO tix and orange molasses glazed chicken. Just sayin.

• Forum MVP

Oh, I am no June Cleaver. Just for Easter. ;o) You have to cook with a twelve year old son who is 5'8", 125lbs, already!!

Hmmm... I will have to start carrying orange glazed chicken with me. That is better than sticks.

"So, would you like a side of chicken with that Jack-a-Roe? How about a carmelized onion goat cheese tartlet?"

Any likelihood drum circles will happen at Pocahantas?

• Forum MVP

Oversold but I found a way. Bobbed and weaved all night until a friend grabbed me and convinced me to go down front. Bumped people all the way but once there the seas parted and we had so much space. Eyes>finish was huge for me. I just love dancing on the bouncy floor, nice smooth wood floor too! Good times would ensue, late into the night/morning....

• Forum MVP

This show was a monster.  I had more fun in Eugene given more space to dance, but this may have been the strongest show I saw on this tour.  It would be this or Tempe, although 2nd set Boulder first night was a barnburner too.  Shows of this force when packed like sardines can often leave me feeling disappointed that I didn't get to really express myself in dance and that I was surrounded by people who didn't seem to share in my level of appreciation for the songs and sounds we are oh so privileged to be hearing.  I never received an invite to the love fest upfront and although, I saw the move and could have followed, I'm not so into bumping my way to the front.  I hate when people do that to me and I have no desire to do that to others.  I'm glad that the space opened up and some of my friends got to express their joy.  Despite the spacial issues, I couldn't possibly leave disappointed tonight.  I was surrounded by frustrated dancers and bliss'd out spinners almost oblivious to the zoo they had found themselves enclosed in.  I mean these were my people and although the place had plenty of drunks out on a Friday night, I was for the most part surrounded by my people and bathroom walkers, when you drink a lot you got a pee.  I was struggling to dance with friends and any struggle together with friends is an enriching experience in it of itself.  As was evident by the first note tonight, this music is about so much more than just rainbows and happiness; it encompasses all the emotions of life, the entire array and it changes you and molds you to understand that just by getting up today and being a little bit kinder even in the face of more misunderstanding and cruelty we are triumphant and as they would let us know the next night, "we will get by."

From the opening notes of Terrapin, several others and myself knew the show and the band was already deep into the metaphysical life-transforming sound.  I think playing a monster GD setlist and the historic feeling of the Crystal Ballroom, my favorite Viola played here in 68, really helped facilitate my perception of the deep groove and connection that these guys and gal felt and feel on stage together.  Despite the dressings, this feeling is owed mostly to the deep connection and appreciation of this music and all it represents that Dark Star embodies.  They were heads before professional musicians.  Terrapin was fantastic.  It makes me miss my lady, its her favorite song, but I love smiling and twirling on the ballroom floor.  Minglewood was extra bouncy and the group was doing fairly well maintaining space and grooving together.  TLEO would start the crowd enclosure and initiate my first move further back.  Lovely nonetheless.  Estimated was hauntingly enchanting.  The solo in Sugaree not extremely stretched out but moving. The playing-wheel-playing to close the set was spacey but also high energy rock-n-roll to dance to with a little of that spiritual soul enriching stuff thrown in the middle.  All in all, 1st sets don't get much better on paper than this and DSO pulled it off, definitely delivered respectful homage to the original.  I'm going to go fire up the 2nd set by Jerry and the boys right now.  

Setbreak was a pretty much a puffathon around the corner of the venue.  Staff here very kind.  They just let you know if your going to smoke walk up the hill away from the building.  No need to specify smoke.  Quick note on the venue set up.  I actually love that they segregate the drinkers from the dancers and the listeners, but they have an inordinate space sectioned off between the groups that we lose a lot of floor space.  Also, if at all possible, it would be great if the drinker's could get to a restroom without leaving the drinking side.  I know that I know little about running a music hall and that I can probably put my advice where the sun don't shine, but I think these changes would benefit everyone's experience.  As SVT said, it was tight and often the aisle ways and the back corners of the venues are where the dancers go to hide and dance in a crowded hall.  This often puts us in the way of people leaving the show or going to a bathroom in the back of the hall.  Not pleasant for the dancer but also sucks for the pisser. With the amount of dancer's in Portland, we were definitely in the way.  Like I said, we struggled together.  

We held it down on the ballroom floor Samson and I mean we bounced, jerked, and jumped all over the place.  Song always excites me but I would be lying if I didn't admit that the reports of the Crystal structural demise didn't enhance my feeling during this tune.  Not a huge Tennessee Jed fan and I retreated backwards again.  Music was high energy dance music and we pushed and spun and bumped into each other trying to get to our usual space dance requirements.  It wasn't to be, but fun nonetheless.  I found tonight's H>S>F to be overall more powerful and jarring than the H>S>F at the Crossroads.  The crossroads had a very silky smooth and bouncy Franklin's.  More sunshine than clouds.  Very jazzy overall.  The H>S>F tonight had more aggression, definitely more clouds in the tower's sky, but still had that bouncy sunshine triumphant feel of a Franklin's.  The Eyes > Jam > Dancing was pure musical bliss.  Skip is a monster on the bass.  His solos and improvisation on Eyes and Dancing blew me away.  This may be the one point of dance disappointment because the band stretched it out and man I really would have liked to; I mean like breakdance type space to leap, twirl, stumble, and repeat in but instead I did more of a bob twirl.  The power of the music couldn't be lost though.  All we need is music sweet music.  

Complaining about space when surrounded by so much love and joy really does sound like the U.S. Blues to me.  We all got them.  You changing your act?

• Forum MVP

The Eyes > Jam > Dancing was pure musical bliss.  Skip is a monster on the bass.  His solos and improvisation on Eyes and Dancing blew me away.  This may be the one point of dance disappointment because the band stretched it out and man I really would have liked to; I mean like breakdance type space to leap, twirl, stumble, and repeat in but instead I did more of a bob twirl.

I love this! Leap, twirl, stumble! I love to dust off my ballet shoes and pirouette, cut fortes when I have the chance.

The best shoes I found are some good ole Frye boots.....

Joy! Joy! Joy! That bob twirl space must've been hot!

• Forum MVP

Upon listening to the Seattle show I'm thinking, "fuck, maybe I should have gone." Just so much more traveling than I needed. The Dark Star>New Potato Caboose is especially revelatory and divine. Can't catch em all....this show looks akin to Ponte Vedra. Which was the best show i've seen this year, despite many good shows on this last tour.

Archived