Close Brushes With Total Weirdness

August West

• Forum MVP

Great, great read! It deserves study for the attention to detail it contains. Hindsight adds a lot of perspective now. Thanks for the share, Greg!

"How large is your repertoire?

Well, I don’t know. I haven’t played through it yet."  :rofl:

And I'd be interested in reading the Yngwie Malmsteen interview transcript too.

• Forum MVP

"Why do you think you’ve attracted such a loyal following?"

It must be really hungry out there. [Laughs.] I blame the general low quality of life, you know.

Love that quote....Epitomy of self-deprecation.

• Forum MVP

astounding interview, thank you,  delving into it on many levels. Plus, it's great to see some more of Garcia's words. This article seems to bring him right into the living room, finally getting to read some of the master's words. He keeps it humble and it is encouraging for all of us to keep on working on making better music. Makes me think of the Rolling Stone interview in the fall of 1990 with Jerry talking about the loss of Brent and opening up like I'd never seen before. This "Frets" article is a true gem. I wonder where some of this Django music he refers too is?

• Forum MVP

It's almost like he's tormented by the pressure of his own brilliance. No matter the depths of his depression, he can't contain his love of guitar. At least we got 30 years of him regardless what anyone says about the quality of his later work. If he died during his stroke I don't think a band like DSO would have ever made it without so many that 1st got to experience Jerry from 85-95.

At least we got 30 years of him regardless what anyone says about the quality of his later work. If he died during his stroke I don't think a band like DSO would have ever made it without so many that 1st got to experience Jerry from 85-95.

Count me as one of them. And now I get to listen to awesome 70's shows as well!

I've yet to find the time to read this but am really looking forward to it by what people said. Read a few of the questions about different musicians. The man has excellent tastes. I never cared for Van Halen either or most music from the 80s. Easily some of my least liked music, but stuff like Django is right up my alley.

Archived