Mexicali Blues 
Dark Star 
Big Boss Man 
Not Fade Away ->
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
Not Fade Away 

Encore: No encore, but some sources say it was Sugar Magnolia

Filler: Second That Emotion

Huge first set! Probably the longest first set I've experienced! Lots of great songs and consistently strong playing. China>Rider, Playin', and Comes a Time were highlights of the first set. Eaton wailed on Playin' while Jeff danced around his rhythms in masterful display. That song has actually grown on me quite a bit in ways.

Truckin' was never a song I cared much for, but DSO has given me a new appreciation for it. I've heard them do consistently strong jamming on that song through and through the past few several shows I've heard it. Tonight was a complete reaffirmation of my feelings on the song as DSO once again locked into some excellent jamming towards the end. A delight to hear Two Souls in Communion! Lucky to have caught that song a few times. The Pigpen versions are something in their own, but Rob B. does a fantastic rendition for being such a difficult song to recreate with the level of vigor that Pigpen would deliver on the vocals. Dark Star had some lengthy fantastic jamming leading up to the first verse. Very melodic and dreamy. A hallowing jam followed that extended deep into a dissonant abyss that is a signature of early psychedelic dead before finding it's way to a exuberant, yet brief, feelin' groovy jam, leading up to the second verse. The drums powered into the familiar Bo Diddly beat of the NFA that blossomed into an excellent NFA GDTRFB sandwich--really powerful vocals in the end.

Great show of the run! It may tie with my favorite of the first night of Long Island, if not, my favorite of the tour thus far.

9:30 club wasn't too packed, but it is also a bit dependent on finding the right spots. Sound is amazing just about everywhere at least. Honestly Richmond, E Factory, and the first night of the Paramount were worse when it came to dance space. You can find dance space at those places, but they require some sacrifices for sound quality. I'd like to think 930 club got better about not overselling. The last several shows I've been to that were sold out, including this one, were reasonably sold for the most part. Good night overall as a venue. Not too many problems with talkers.

Close to the end of first set some poor girl took a hard spill and split her head open. It was really awful to see someone's show experience really take such a turn for the worse. Thankfully there is a hospital down the street from 930 club. I really hope she is okay! I know how head injury's can be serious, and it wasn't even due to inebriation from as far as I could tell. If anyone happens to know that woman and is reading this, please let us know if she ended up being okay! It scares me, as it is pretty serious to lose blood like that from the back of your head.

• Forum MVP

What an epic 1st set. I was convinced several times of set ending songs only to be wrong. This was my fav set of the tour I think. The sound was just amazing where we were-center aboit 8 people back. Surprisingly we had a little dance space too and that set was dancy. Rob B singing the stranger was so heartfelt. He was just superb. Bravo!!! It brought out so many emotions in me. My only complaint was all the people singing. OMG. We get it. U know the songs. Sing at home. You are paying to see the band sing. I get the singing in like Casey jones but with Comes a Time, STFU!!!!! I was convinced that a few times Jeff changed the timing of his singing to kill the singers. I know the dead changed the beats they came in on a lot but think he may have done it b/c he was annoyed with the crowd. It did help some when people weren't sure when to sing.

Thank you for a real good time!!!!!! See you in St Louis!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Thanks for the review RD,,,

Yeah the singalong thing,,,I think it can be fun when there are moments like a room full of people singing "what a looong strange trip it's been" or like you said a few lyrics from Casey Jones,,,but singing along to Comes A Time (or like Morning Dew) is just such an unfortunate distraction, especially when Jeff is so delicately navigating his way through the lyrics. A bit painful when those sweet moments get smothered in that way, but there seems to be nothing one can do about it...

Unbelievable looking first set...I can imagine by the end of Jack Straw it must have felt like a very full set and surely the end and again after Playin,,,man you guys must have been so ready for some h2o and a break after that one!

• Forum MVP

There is a difference between singing along and an outburst like I am I am. Emotional outburst although potentially annoying are way more acceptable than the sing along. Singing along prevents a raw primordial connection. The outburst is a sign of it.

If I were the chief of the Singing Police, the only time it would be permitted is when the whistle is screaming...terrapin! On balance, it's probably a good thing I don't carry that badge.

Can I sing " I am, I am, I AM"?

u can sing ANYTHING (sing me a song of my own) your little heart desires - to yourself   :)

• Devoted

If I were the chief of the Singing Police, the only time it would be permitted is when the whistle is screaming...terrapin! On balance, it's probably a good thing I don't carry that badge.

You're a Deputy, Vegas. A credit to the flock.

I won't take that badge off of you.

Harry Callahan, SFPD

• Forum MVP

Songs of your own are encouraged. Spontaneous rapturous outbursts are commendable. Bellowing whole verses in a drunken off key display of poor taste and worse timing is a felony. Let your finely honed conscience be your guide.

It's getting too dark to see. Maybe the dark is from my eyes.

1994 RFK Stadium. 

Road trip to see the Dead with a good friend of mine.  I had never seen a concert with him.  I realized it was the last time I would attend a concert with him when he sang along with the guitar solo in Samson and Delilah......and the guitar solos of some other tunes that I can't recall.

Sing-A-Long folks annoy me.  Why are you paying to see the band if you are singing over the band?  I also find it inconsiderate to those around you (especially if the violator is a bad singer).

My guess is that most people probably acknowledge, including myself, that singing along with anthemic lyrics (WALSTIB, Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile, etc) is really not what we are talking about.  No problems there. 

Regardless......can we all agree that just singing along once with a Garcia guitar solo should earn you a lifetime ban?

• Forum MVP

What an epic 1st set. I was convinced several times of set ending songs only to be wrong. This was my fav set of the tour I think. The sound was just amazing where we were-center aboit 8 people back. Surprisingly we had a little dance space too and that set was dancy. Rob B singing the stranger was so heartfelt. He was just superb. Bravo!!! It brought out so many emotions in me. My only complaint was all the people singing. OMG. We get it. U know the songs. Sing at home. You are paying to see the band sing. I get the singing in like Casey jones but with Comes a Time, STFU!!!!! I was convinced that a few times Jeff changed the timing of his singing to kill the singers. I know the dead changed the beats they came in on a lot but think he may have done it b/c he was annoyed with the crowd. It did help some when people weren't sure when to sing.

Thank you for a real good time!!!!!! See you in St Louis!!!!!

Yes...C U in St L

Regarding your criticism of "singing along"...let me tell you a story:

On Nov 5 1977 I was lost in Rochester NY attempting my 3rd GD show (Having seen Palladium 5/4 and infamous Englishtown previously) when I wound up with my girlfriend, both tripping, at a gas station most definitely on the wrong side of the tracks. I asked scary looking attendant (remember 1977 in most cases gas was pumped for you!) where the War Memorial was....he looked at us and said "you mean where that sing along dance band is playing?" He then gave me accurate directions...

To this day my memories of that experience (good blotter and check setlist lol) are etched in my neurons and find it one of the most accurate "layman" descriptions of GD explaining the calliopes and clowns.

Now lots of idle chatter during the music irritates me, as does singing loudly constantly, especially when you don't know the words lol. But at times even the band encouraged singing (think Miracle, or NFA) so I am less bothered by it...."now you say it...got to have..."

• Forum MVP

Songs of your own are encouraged. Spontaneous rapturous outbursts are commendable. Bellowing whole verses in a drunken off key display of poor taste and worse timing is a felony. Let your finely honed conscience be your guide.

It's getting too dark to see. Maybe the dark is from my eyes.

There are a few instances that get a sing-along pass.  I think we all know what those are and use good judgement in selecting which instances are ok and which detract from the experience of others.  Frankly, I love when JGB offerings come up > there seems to be less participation given a lack of familiarty.

Here are a few examples of when my stomach drops as baffoons think they are in the freaking shower:

Walk me out....

All the years combine...

All of my friends...

Let my inspiration flow....

Old Man Down...

A pistol shot...

Your Rain...

Annie Laid her head down...

When they come to take you down...

Fare you well...

You told me goodbye...

Comes a Time...

To Layyyyy me down...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! is my usual response.  Maybe a few less h's.

• Forum MVP

In Richmond, I forget the song, but everyone was singing so Jeff motioned to the crowd to sing the line. I havent ever seen him do that before.  He didnt sing but had the crowd do it.  I dont hate the singers as much as long as its not the dude right behind me.  Thats what gets me.  The harmonious singing of the crowd isnt as bad as hearing that 1 bad voice in my ear all night and its usually a horrible singer.  Usually the JGB or rare songs dont get the singers.  It was pretty quiet for the 1st 2 minutes of keep on growing until everyone figured the words lol.

I mouth the lyrics all night but barely a peep leaves my lips besides NFA or something.  I think its ok to singalong to NFA.  Its pretty much made to do that.  Simple lyrics.  Nothing too heartfelt and its a crowd pumper and many times a set ender.  I heard so many singing Death Dont on Saturday.  You should have been like a church mouse while he sang that shit.  It was so emotional. 

And sorry if I turned this at all negative.  I absolutely loved the shows.  Had an absolute blast.  And if there were 1000 people that were identical to anyone of us at the show, they would either be completely silent, way way too dancy with nonstop collisions(1000 Tea's on Saturday would have left 100 hospitalized(50 for dehydration and 50 for collision injuries)), completely still, No one able to see over 1000 me's, etc.  It does really take all types to make a good crowd.

• Forum MVP

Can I sing " I am, I am, I AM"?

u can sing ANYTHING (sing me a song of my own) your little heart desires - to yourself :)

Not really asking permission. Lol

More grooving on the feeling Terrapin inspires........

Archived