Jubilee 2015

Dead duck

• Forum MVP

Just a beautifully executed festival. Staff was terrific and even the sherrifs circling the grounds constantly was cool cause they were clearly not looking to harass anyone except those with bad intentions.... And I didn't see one bit of that. Well there was that one drunk redneck I accidentally bumped while dancing who thought that was my signal to scrap. No prob, I just twirled away. Not only are they some of the best musicians on the road, they obviously know the business side by putting on such an awesome festival ALL THEIR OWN. I'm so glad it has become successful for them, but not surprised. I love it when a plan comes together, even when I had nothing to do with it. I'm proud to be a starhead.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

If I can throw out 1 negative. I wanted to strangle that spun out fire DJ. Dude doesn't know his target market. This is NOT a hip hop fest. Plus he constantly had to mess with the music scratching. It was like a 12 year old with his first DJ turntable. Horrendous and annoying. We wouldn't have minded music until 4:30am if it was the proper genre and he didn't mess with it nonstop. Then he started playing with the surround aspect and it was bad. We commented that he needed help from Cotter badly. Give me a PA and I'll jam archive until 4:30 from my phone and I'll give the attendees what they really want. I'll make a huge bonfire as my fire making skills were put to the test and I came through with flying colors. Call me spun out Bonfire productions.

• Forum MVP

I set up with my 2 boys in the area that was a picnic area last year. This year as it turns out we were camped right smack next to the late night fire jugglers and dancers. No big deal though and was even kind of cool if it weren't for the remixed up dead tunes. What they did to shakedown and Casey jones made me want to cry.

The first band Friday had road trouble and couldn't make it, causing them to throw a band together with guys from the back consisting of eaton and son, RB (and son possibly), and others and playing an unrehearsed set that killed.

RB was a madman sitting in all over the place all weekend. Jeff and Robert Randolph sat in with Los Lobos for some stellar jamming at the end of their set.

My 12 yr old called the 69 from the setup alone and I got to watch him drop knowledge on a couple that could have been at the original. Citing the different instruments. The lady tried to stump him pointing out Lisa's mic and he quickly explained she would only be there to play the harmonica tonight. I could tell they were amazed and I couldn't help but to Have a proud dad moment.

Disco pizza, Clean port o jons, and only saw 2 cars pulled over all the way out of Ohio. Usually hit that mark by the next exit. Just a perfect experience.

Btw your kids are cool young deadheads. U raised them well!!!! Every time I see u guys at a show they are so well behaved and having an awesome time!!!! Your oldest always has that big pre show grin of anticipation as he can't wait like the rest of us for the music to begin. Not many kids that age know their stuff like that.

• Forum MVP

Thanks man. Night 1 was right on for my 16 year old. Give him anything he'll take it but loves mid to late 70's. The 12 year old has a touch of cerebral palsy and his mind works differently. He can rattle off numbers, death dates, types of guitar, and albumology of most everyone who played music in 60's and 70's. Stuff I've heard and forgotten a hundred times just sticks fresh in his mind. Night 2 gave him everything he was chasing from the year right down to the VLB encore. His teachers say if he drifts off into Lala land all they have to do is work music into the lesson and he snaps back in. I truly feel I've been blessed.

Also wanted to again thank the band for everything but especially taking the time to do the poster signing. The boys really look forward to interacting with you guys (and girl).

And the spun out fire was right outside my tent window and I didn't even know until Sunday night

Sound sleepers in camp dead duck

• Forum MVP

As I wake up from a 14 hour slumber with major stiff muscles I was just reflecting on the weekend. I met probably 8 forum guys I had never met b4. Had a blast dancing and hanging with the rug people. So much love in that area!! We had easily the best camping spot in the whole jubilee. We had a 60' tarp wall and the fencing to VIP that gave us a completely isolated 40x60' area. We forgot we were even around 3k other people. I was with the best group of guys I could imagine. Not a bit of negativity the whole time. Packing out my dolly overturns and Nick is there in a cart and gives me a long lift to the car that saves me. It was the 1st time I'd chatted with him and what a super guy!!! I mean the whole weekend was perfect, poison ivy notwithstanding. Easily my favorite jubilee yet.

If it's Nick with the vintage VW micro-bus, I concur......great guy......enjoyed meeting him as well.

The rug folks were in the zone......enjoyed watching and dancing nearby ;)

• Forum MVP

Seriously though thanks for the complement. I agree we were in the zone. Best dancing I've seen at the jubilee yet. A killer 76 and monster 69 surely helped. Also, I feel we got a lot more cooperation from the rest of the community. We danced as opposed to fighting for space. It was beautiful

• Forum MVP

Sometimes you got to establish rug rules before night #1of Dark Star to enjoy the work of storing bringing hauling and taking back all rugs after festival ...

sometimes people get upset due to that. ..but I stand by the fact that if you want on the rugs then bring your own to the party .. don't expect to get on the rugs just because you think you can or you think your a cute girl etc etc ..

moral of story ...bring a rug and learn how much flipping work they are and you will realize that hey Teacher Matt was right when he protects the rugs ..

• Forum MVP

I don't mind the protecting some do. I choose to defend my turf by dancing hard. I really sincerely thought we had less issues this year than in years past. Cute girls don't qualify. I'm completely okay with someone joining the rug dance party if you can dance that speed and integrate seemlessly. Very few dancers have that skill.

• Forum MVP

I joined the rug party for about 10 minutes or less per show. Figured that was an equitable amount as I didn't want to hog the rug. But I'm guessing if you had 7 rugs and 7 people dancing it wouldn't be quite as fun as having others join the rug party throughout the night.

• Forum MVP

Dancers dancing are welcome, within reason. In my humble opinion, all that cycled in and out during the course of the evenings were a credit to the flailing flock.

Potted plants need not apply.

I set up with my 2 boys in the area that was a picnic area last year. This year as it turns out we were camped right smack next to the late night fire jugglers and dancers. No big deal though and was even kind of cool if it weren't for the remixed up dead tunes. What they did to shakedown and Casey jones made me want to cry.

The first band Friday had road trouble and couldn't make it, causing them to throw a band together with guys from the back consisting of eaton and son, RB (and son possibly), and others and playing an unrehearsed set that killed.

RB was a madman sitting in all over the place all weekend. Jeff and Robert Randolph sat in with Los Lobos for some stellar jamming at the end of their set.

My 12 yr old called the 69 from the setup alone and I got to watch him drop knowledge on a couple that could have been at the original. Citing the different instruments. The lady tried to stump him pointing out Lisa's mic and he quickly explained she would only be there to play the harmonica tonight. I could tell they were amazed and I couldn't help but to Have a proud dad moment.

Disco pizza, Clean port o jons, and only saw 2 cars pulled over all the way out of Ohio. Usually hit that mark by the next exit. Just a perfect experience.

• Forum MVP

Jubilee should sell VID (very important dancing) tix, same price, just bring a rug and have an official rug zone, preferrably without little rocks....

Sudds, I loved dancin by you two a good bit of all three nights. You guys make me smile.

• Forum MVP

Sudds and husband get down.  I remember seeing him one time at the E Factory a few years back.  I swear he had to be on some powerful psychedelics to move to and interpret the music like that.  Nope.  Guy just feels it.  No need for the stuff when you got it like that.

You guys are sweet.  Torin, we don't think we're making it to blk Mtn, flights are crazy right now and Scott has no more time off from work, maybe you can go to Pocohantas?  Rick just an update, Scotts hand is healing, we went to urgent care too late for stitches, but he's on antibiotics and is doing fine (his bad left hand and my bad right shoulder make us a good pair) and would do it all over again to help out a family member get packed up.  We love our DSO family and the Jubilee made us feel more love than can be put into words.

• Forum MVP

After last weekend I so wanna do poca again. My 80% on doing Chicago lowers poca to around 10% probability but it's always fun to see you guys' smiling faces and all this tour talk makes me itch for more shows, but maybe my itching is poison ivy. I guess u can't do them all and poca is a 700 miles away :(

• 3 weeks later...

Archived