Northeast Blizzard

August West

• Forum MVP

People are generally under the incorrect impression that colorado is really cold. If not for the elevation it would be very warm. We skied every winter in summit county and even at the base of the mountains it was similar to the winter temps anywhere in the east and add the 30 degrees you lose at 9k feet elevation and you have the same temps as vegas.

• Forum MVP

They have scaled back the amounts somewhat on the Jersey coast. Although the possibility still exists that it will be over 2 feet they're now saying 12 to 18. That's still a lot of blowing snow. It's obviously not an exact science but if the storm gravitates west a bit those amounts will surely increase. The bulls eye looks like it's going to be squarely on Long Island. Mattson and RB are in that jackpot zone. The winds are really going to be a problem. 

I'm just going to sit home play online poker, and hopefully win some money. And your right Rude, no work for me tomorrow.

• Forum MVP

Weather channel update. The reporters are visibly upset the snowfall totals for NYC keep getting downgraded. They are talking about wind gusts of 70mph in areas. Saying we only need 74 for hurricane label. Other reporter said I think we can get there. Fear sells. They realize that 2ft = big advertising rates and now that won't happen for NYC. Now their focus has become Boston as they are praying for power outage reports to come through. 30 years ago they would be reporting how happy they were that the storm has gone further out to sea. When did our society switch to fear and sensationalionalism in all media. The ads for the nightly local news is always something like "Is rap music giving your children cancer? Tune in at 6." Fear sells. It causes us to give up freedoms and allow consolidation of power and all you see is fear from the media. /end rant.

originally forecasted 8-16 inches for us and right now we may have a centimeter, still say that we have a chance at few inches....... doubtful, historical Blizzard of 2015 is a historical Blunder of 2015 ( at least for many)

• Forum MVP

Blame the viewers. The media may have created the appetite. We could have chicken or the egg conversation if ya want but the media gives the viewers what gets ratings. The first season of the HBO series the newsroom discusses the topic of news vs entertainment in depth. We should stop watching but we won't.

• Forum MVP

Most over hyped storm ever. A complete bust.  About 8 inches on the ground here. They put a travel ban in place, and closed all the bridges and tunnels.You couldn't go anywhere if you wanted to. They were ticketing people 300 bucks a pop if they saw you on the roads after 11 last night, even though there was basically 4 inches on the ground then. Now  the weather people are making all of their excuses. "The storm made an unexpected move 75 miles east" is the popular one. Cuomo and Christie shut down 2 states for basically nothing. All fear based like you guys said. I got a paid day off from work, too fucking funny! Long Island however did get hit hard.

Rick I wasn't really watching anybody's predictions. I was mainly monitoring the maps. The National Weather Service  which is always so very conservative, got this totally wrong also.

• Forum MVP

Snow has always been one of the hardest things for them to forecast with the degree of accuracy to which we've become accustomed over the last generation. Unless you live in Buffalo. There I think all the models agree that lake + cold air + wind = feet of white shit.

• Forum MVP

the most awesome thing I saw last night was they were using the European model which showed 18" for New York still at like midnight. Then they put the US model and it showed way less. For your safety we will continue to show you the one that's scarier and the U.S. model showing only about 3-4 more inches vs 12" for New York was not seen again.

I do feel bad for all the folks on the coast getting hammered with wind, snow, ocean. Forecasts are usually 50/50 shot in the dark anyway. The thing that gets me is why so much drama about winter weather that we get every year? I start feeling like we live in the South instead of the Northeast with the snow drama, polar vortex drama, and really can't wait for the hazy/hot/humid drama....... :)

Archived