Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize

Tea

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I wish everyone would stop focusing on Dylan live shows ...

we are celebrating his lyrics.. his songs that so many have been covered by others..his poetry... his groundbreaking move from folk to rock ... his amazing birthday May 24th that happens to be mine as well

Matt is so correct on this.   It is Mr Zimmerman's poetry that that made Bob Dylan so grand. His words are sung...sometimes with grate joy and love and sometimes with questions of "What does he mean by that?"  But when we listen and think and continplate we sometimes can understand his deep means...but there are the songs where he is just putting us on (or maybe not).   There is so much literature of his that this Nobel prize honors.

This community of Greateful Dead fans is so accustomed to the live shows that our thoughts drifted that way. Besides, Rudd asked about seeing Dlyan live. I would have loved to have seen him in a small club in New York when they were passing the hat around to pay for his and Joan Baez's wine. I doubt if anyone here was fortunate enought to have been there in the early sixty's.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

And I don't even have the strength, to get up, and take another shot...

You can fly down Saturday and hit a halloween party with us that Im being forced to attend.  Lord knows you have the clothing.  Just dress how you do at a show and people will be amazed.  Theres a 6am flight monday morning after the sunday show to Chicago.  Easy peasy.  Im only a few miles from the airport.

Will be a fun time. 

• Forum MVP

I think Rude meant that you've got 'festive gear' covered based on previous experiences.

I think he really wants to know what you're dressing up as before he decides whether to come or not :)

• Forum MVP

Dylan is one of 2 musician "acts" I had fortune to see in the 70's. 80's, 90's, and 00's. I could have but didn't see him in the 60's or 2010's. The other act would be the Rolling Stones.

That is saying plenty....

2 things were true for me at a Dylan show...

1) He was hard to stare at...sometimes harder to listen too lol

2) Something bad happened to me very soon thereafter followed almost immediately by something good

In 00's was popped on a random drug test at work the next day (had nothing to do with Dylan per se)

I wound up with an even better job in a couple of weeks.

in 90's the Dylan set was followed by what may have been the worst couple of sets of music by Phil and Friends as it was the day Kimmock was thrown out of the band and they had no true lead guitar (Oxford, Ohio). However the next day (in Columbus, Ohio) Phil must have called some friends, cause both Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes showed up!!!!!

Guess I "forgot about that simple twist of fate"

• Advisory Board

This is not related to Bob Dylan in any way but it is related to the post above regarding the lights being on during a show. Last April when DSO played in Berkeley for the first time at the newly renovated and freshly opened Berkeley theater, and the venue did not have its lighting inspection completed.

As a result it was announced that all of the houselights would need to remain completely lit during the show. This was the case for all three shows. There was a nearly universal gasp of horror amongst the fans, even though this perfectly situated and wonderfully renovated venue had excellent sound and excellent sightlines. Making the situation even more grave this was one of those rare occasions that the band had announced that they would be re-creating the famed show from August 24, 1972 held in Berkeley just a few blocks from this venue.

Now realize that these three shows were packed with fans who were ready for the real thing. The fact that it was brighter than daylight inside immediately stripped away all pretense and anonymity. It was sink or swim from the moment the first notes were played. The crowd swam, there was no sinking. It was the definition of the cathartic tribal breakdown.

The lights being on allowed your eyes to focus both inwards into your own brain as well as outward into the eyes and faces and bodies and colors of those both close to you and far as well as the stage itself. It was like an outdoor summer show in the daylight but much much more intense. Without any coercion the crowd became a single organism that had shed the skin of self consciousness and completely let loose. I will not forget this experience. It was completely the opposite of what I had expected when we found out that the lights would stay on.

I hope that the band will play this venue again. I also hope that they will leave the lights on. This time on purpose.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

I meant I'll protect you when the rednecks say "hey boy. Why u got yer buttons backwards on dat shirt". But actually it's sort of an artsy crowd where I'm being forced to go. Those people actually care about stuff like that. I only really care about travel. Speaking of, I'm getting encouraged by my other half to hit the road more. Pretty sure she just wants to catch up on the housewives of Marin county on the dvr or wherever while I'm gone.

Hey tea. Thats the key. Bash things she enjoys to the point she's begging for u to leave town. You know you have it good when she's like "you are leaving soon for shows, right?"

• Forum MVP

Bob Dylan website has acknowledged his award 4 days later in a subtle update for his book, The Lyrics: 1961-2012, stating simply "Winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature". Does this constitute aloofness? Will he accept it in person on Nov 10th, a prize founded on explosives and weapons fortune? Will he accept the money totaling $901,647.20? An English writer called for him to turn it down like Jean-Paul Sartre in 1964 who refused because " a writer must refuse to allow himself to be transformed into an institution". Sartre is still listed as a winner. Clearly, there was no exit for him.

• 4 weeks later...

my point (thoughts) has nothing to do with Dylan and his greatness or lack thereof.  Why dis-respect all of the people that the Nobel prize means so much to?  I ofcourse am not one of them - pretty comfortable in saying there's nobody on this board who cares less about more than I. :)   

Archived