Bob Dylan wins Nobel Prize

Tea

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Should I drop 300 to see dylan in 2 weeks in my hometown.  Sitting the whole time may be more than i can take.  Ive been told by a friend who works at the venue that they wont allow you to stand and block peoples view.  Its bad in this town. 

hang on Doc. I saw him 15 years +/- ago Summer tour (small minor league bb) and danced on the grass outfield to a GREAT ROCKIN like a rollin stone with him on lead guitar ofcourse. ROCKIN.

then I did see him 2 years ago in an intimate theatre setting Winter tour him on piano only with more like a cabaret act ensemble. all new stuff except Tangled Up (completely re-arranged and no good) and my all time fav If You See Her Say Hello (avg version at best) . It was one last time (saw him a half dozen times in the 80's + 90's) for me and I'm glad I went - but it wasn't very good.

Rude I don't know what he's touring with (no guitar I would imagine?) and/or setlists. or how many times you've seen him. I assume the 3 bills is 2 tix?

I wouldn't rule it out so quick based on some answers - like it would be the only time for your girl?  like the Doc I wouldn't go - but to say .40cents is harsh.  Heck I'd pay $50 just to hear Tangled Up - Desolation - ISIS - IDIOT WIND (how bout a DSO ISIS or WIND!?) as they were originally arranged even if he was just on piano.  

• Advisory Board

Yeah, I probably was too harsh. But I saw him a few times over the years, not including the summer stadium Dylan and the Dead tour. It was so disappointing for me. I wasn't expecting an 18 year old Royal Albert Hall performance, but it felt very empty. Maybe those few times I saw him were "off" nights, but it seemed like many others came away scratching their heads and wondering what they just saw and heard.

I do think that Dylan is a performer of many moods and styles. Depends on what tour/band, etc. I also agree that if it was your first chance to see the legend you should go. $300 though would make me think hard even if it was the first time. Better to read reviews from other dates on the same tour before your date. If good, well worth it.

You are right Ducats, the answer to this question requires more thought than the knee jerk response. I just had the "pleasure" of walking away not even knowing what I had just seen. I actually remember thinking that he was playing a big joke on the world by playing the worst performance possible knowing that he was a "legend" and that anything he would do would be received well.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Dr B's second post is good advice and a fair evaluation.  I've seen Dylan several times over the many years and was never really impressed by the show. But if you have never seen him you might want to go just for the history of it. His writing and early performances were worth it but that was many years ago. That cost is a bit high but I guest that's just the way things are now for the big name acts.        I wish I could remember Dylan lyrics well enough to pull out a quote that could sum up the situation...I'm sure there is one or two somewhere in his writings.....   Chuck, what do you think?

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

People are crazy and times are strange

I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range

I used to care, but things have changed

His best work was when he said everything but it sounded like nothing - at first.

A shell of what made him great but he'll still be a hero until the end of time.

• Forum MVP

It's my work, he'd say, and I do it for pay

And when it's over I'd just as soon go on my way...

For what it is worth, the reviews from Oldchella of his show last weekend are pretty damn good. But we're all so much older now, we were younger than that then.

• Forum MVP

Shame on those who are cutting Dylan down .. rejoice his lyrics his songs his story telling his music ...

I still spend many of my hours listening to Dylan

I have seen Dylan 15/20 or so times over the years and never left disappointed

Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts as well as many others I remember coming from my older brothers bedroom in the family attic circa late 70s ...

• Forum MVP

Very nice that Bobby D gets the Nobel Prize, he crafts songs extremely well. As far as going to a show, it would depend on the seat and the venue. You could end up surrounded by talkers, during a tears of rage, or if in the front row, up close, you could get some great eye contact with the master in the fat middle of a Masters of War. He don't keep playing unless he's got something important to share.

This comes to mind.... Luv ya matt!

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand at the mongrel dogs who teach

Fearing not that I'd become my enemy in the instant that I preach

My existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow

Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats too noble to neglect

Deceived me into thinking I had something to protect

Good and bad, I define these terms quite clear, no doubt, somehow

Ah, but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now

• Forum MVP

The summer '87 Dylan with The Dead tour started off pretty rough at Foxboro and the JFK in Philly.

Thus I didn't expect much at Giants stadium. But damn that show was incredible.  Super tight Dylan set, and the Dead played a great "warm up" show.  Could have left completely satisfied after the Dead's two sets (second set opened with Morning Dew).

As for Dylan's own shows over the years, they're legendary for eliciting everything from "best shit ever" to "worst show I've ever seen".  I certainly wouldn't be rolling those dice.

• Forum MVP

I wouldn't pay 30 cents to see him. Maybe 40 years ago...

He is a caricature of a caricature of a caricature of a distant recollection of what he maybe once was a very long time ago.

Agreed......seeing him with the GD in '87 was plenty......painful.

• Forum MVP

I've seen the man a handfull of times. Including solo at deercreek, with the other ones at deer creek, at the ballpark with Willie Nelson, a free show in a Gillians parking lot, and took my oldest to see him last time he was in town. And while i never walked away feeling like it blew my mind, i have a great deal of respect for him. And each show had its moments.

• Forum MVP

I absolutely wore the grooves off of early Dylan in college. Hwy 61 revisited was a staple. I must admit that I walked out on a 1990 Dylan show in Charlotte. It was electric Dylan and he was either fucked up as shit or didn't give a damn, but it was god awful. Did not deminesh my reverence for the wordsmith that is Dylan. Things change but the past remains the same. Long live Dylan's words, whether in song or translation. He's always been a Nobel prize writer to me, along with his pop Woody.

Archived