Boulder Night 3

jimsulli1010

10/20/13 Elective Show

Terrapin->

Playing->

High Time

Money Money

Dupree's

Monkey and the Engineer (by request of 8 year old Sage)

I'll Take a Melody

Easy Wind

Cumberland->

Playing

Scarlet->

Fire

2 Souls in Communion

Music Never Stopped->

Unbroken Chain->

Drums/Space->

Eyes->

GDTRFB->

Morning Dew

Encore:

White Rabbit

• Forum MVP

Gotta love the last night of tour!!!! Will post a real review in the light of day cause its all still pretty strange, but for now I figured I'd share what they changed from the set list.  When Jeff first started they played the originals exactly as written (I have been collecting these) and then for a good while they were REALLY different than what was written.  Recently, with the rotating bassist and change of members, it had kinda gone back to being pretty much as written, save one or 2 differences.  Tonight was more different than written than it has been lately and that is a GREAT sign! 

setlist said black throated instead of monkey, and that is toooo cute! they were gonna do a stranger duo and do feel like a stranger before 2 souls but I guess they stuck to the one which is great... this is a good time to mention how AWESOME that strange ballad was.... ahhhhh....

and they were gonna do saint after eyes but that didn't happen.... which is the one change I am bummed over but hey, I don't like it without sailor anyways ;) 

they were gonna encore forever young and I am so grateful they let Lisa do White Rabbit instead!!!!!!! 

more tomorrow, love you guys, this was a great run, so happy we got to bookend it!

• Forum MVP

All the set list in Boulder have been WTF, why am I bounded to life and not the music!!!!

Why do I feel like the lost generation?  To late to see as much GD or JGB, and now to complicated in life to get to see all the DSO I want!!!

Glad you all are spinning to these great sounds, and safe travels to you all!!!!

• Forum MVP

That 3-song shot outta the gate would have probably been worth the price of admission for me.  Not that the additional offerings would have been glossed over by any means.  Terrapin to start any show is likely a good sign!

That second set must have been a freak-fest!  I can only imagine....

Night #2 is on etree:  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=567599   Hopefully this means that this one (and others) will make it up to IA soon enough :)

I got the feeling that everyone was more than satisfied with the efforts on the westy swing.  East-Coasters are next up after a very deserved rest for the band.  As we've been seeing for a good spell now:  The band keeps upping the ante show-after-show, tour-after-tour. Can't wait to finally get to see what's around the next corner! 

:dsorocks:  :crewrocks:

• Forum MVP

they were gonna encore forever young and I am so grateful they let Lisa do White Rabbit instead!!!!!!! 

I gotta disagree with you there.  Forever Young is just too powerful a song with too much room for mind bending guitar work.

That said, it all sounds good, and thanks for the awesomely in depth reviews. 

• Forum MVP

I agree John. We played forever young by Dylan ( my dad liked him not the dead) at my dads service with a slideshow of pictures of him. I love white rabbit but I have much more of an emotional spiritual connection with forever Young than I do white rabbit but then again, its allgood and who doesnt love it when Lisa sings.

• Forum MVP

I feel you John and Rick, and usually I really want that forever young, esp cause Jeff has been encoring it from the beginning with a decent frequency and it has always been very special.  however, the crowd was twisted all up and I don't think they had their space together to experience that.  the band knew this.  I mean, people were singing the dew so damn loud I could barely hear Jeff! I'd hate to have gone through a forever young like that it woulda been really really weird.....

this was one of the best DSO runs I have ever had, not so much from a personal perspective though that was great, more like the music was just so good every night I am still reeling.  every time I touch the crystal I had on the stage, I can feeeeeel and hear the music pulsing through it.... Boulder is super cool cause lots of people have their crystals in hand or on stage.  fun.

Terrapin to open was indeed insane.... it was like we fell into second set right outta the gate considering they played every freaking song like it was second set the whole night (you know, DSO original style!) I had thought I'd forgotten how to dance cause it was soooooooooo crowded Fri and Sat but then as soon as Terrapin started I began to dance and I had all the space in the world (everyone did!) and it was perfect! no line to get in, very small crowd in comparison to the weekend, and we were all smiles  and happy spins.

The playin was ridiculous as well.  Good grief, DSO, you are so good!!! high time melted my soul and the whole room hung on every note.  Money money was silly and fun in every way, everyone got down and I would say this is about when everyone couldn't help but dance for the rest of the night.  hilarity.  dupree's was super great, made Gabe come down from his chair with his broken toe cause he was so excited for it and he stayed the rest of the night cause that's what was going on.  tooooo much fun!

happy to see the lil one up front to get her monkey, ahhh, so sweet and perfect! flawless! i'll take a melody absolutely made my night.  it was stunning and has always been a song that makes me think of Jeff cause they played it at his first gratefulfest as a member of DSO and I had never heard it before then, and it has remained a favorite.  they just make it so sweet and triumphant!

sick nasty easy wind, if that's appropriate to say?  really though, I looked around and it was just ridiculous how hard and silly we were all dancing and it was soooooo wonderful to feel and hear! good lord, THEN cumberland!? just in our faces too much fun!!! back to playin and a kid finally noticed i was taking setlist and was like, "what did you write" and I told him "playin" and he realized and that was funny... shows like this I don't dare not write down songs often cause I'm not willing to turn on my full memory while dancing, preferring instead to jot it fast and spin it out.  

i forget when, but at some point one of the band members (rob b?) said something about "loser" kinda quietly into the mike, joking about something, and since Jeff and Rob made quite an impression on Gabe with their story of the nassau and the guy saying "play the loser, Jerry" at the statebridge show, Gabe shouted it out with proper accent and Eaton heard it and explained the whole story into the mike, starting with "must be an east coaster in the house", though Gabe is a boulder boy that just really liked the story.  THIS is why DSO is so cool, you get stories which is over half the reason people like me that never saw Jerry even go to the shows to day- so we don't have to feel like we missed out on what ya'll had to start.  oh the stories, THANKS DORK STARS!

scarlet to start second set, and I could feel the fire in the air! it was crispy and electric through and through, scarlet fire 2 souls, whoa!!! just heavenly.  had to try to explain the name to the kid taking set list, but it got strange and I was trying to dance so I just had him write 2 souls, DSO always writes that anyway.  Gabe had never heard this one either (isn't it more of a 70 pig tune than a 69?) so it made my whole being full of joy for him to get his first from DSO.  I have enjoyed them being the guiding force in my Dead education cause lots of what they do (esp in the beginning, but they STILL surprise me!!!) I never heard or noticed til I saw them do it and it became a staple tune or tour.  heck yeah!  these songs were just the perfect way to retake the stage, and everyone enjoyed them.

the whole place rocked out for music, it was just what we all needed! this band just plays so great, I was jaw dropped most of the night.  skip nailed the unbroken chain, it really moved me even though I often have trouble connecting with this one.  really nice, spectacular!  drums space was weird and danceable so we did and it was great to have a crew dancing through it! 

eyes outta space is about heaven for me, so I pretty much gave up trying to keep any wits about me and just enjoyed that THIS was happening, DSO IS PLAYING EYES, and it went on and on in the best ways. hahaha then gdtrfb got us all feeling sooo good, really fun transitions this WHOLE show!  at this point the crowd was so fucked up in such the small intimate space that everyone was just talking at the band, screaming all the lyrics, and generally making mayhem but all in love and joy of the music... I get it, DSO is freakin amazing and nearly impossible to keep ones mind while enjoying.  

the dew was out of this WORLD, powerful and perfect and whoa! I particularly liked the white rabbit encore cause it carried over the vibe from Dew that had us all spun out and tied it up so we could make it through the rabbit hole once again.

DSO, I wanna cry thinking about not seeing you til the spring, but all good things in all good time and if I have to wait til then to finally get a WHOLE TOUR again, I shall with eager acceptance.  sooooooon!

have fun with the holiday runs, you lucky east coasters, you! I miss you guys! 

• Forum MVP

FWIW I agree about the depth of Forever Young, and since the time crunch dictated a change it sounds like the white knight talking backwards fit right in. It certainly would have for the other two shows.

I'm glad you all got enough dancing room. Doing the penguin bop beats the hell out of not being there at all but it can be so...constrained.

Thanks to each and every one of you all.

• Forum MVP

(Has DSO done Fought The Law?)

Yup.  9 times.  The 1st was played on 11/16/99 in Charleston (recreated 6/21/93) and the last was played on 5/17/07 to recreate 12/7/93. 

Good ole EdBase :)

I won't even try to post as eloquently as others because I never can remember what was played. The less I remember the better show I think because I am so in the moment. I remember very little from the Fox shows! First night Black Peter was highlight for me. All three nights DSO was on fire and night 3 was mind blowing! Fox is great venue!

• Forum MVP

"may your hands always be busy, may your feet always BE SWIFT, may you have a strong foundation when the winds of curfew shift....

I am sure that I am part of a small group that acutally goes to lunch to listen to GD while I eat and drink.   More than that.....

First time I heard DSO, they ended the show with Forever Young.    Some older guy, more than likely younger or my age, asked me what I was on during this song!!!   He was more white collar than me, much more, I guess-------but I remember so well, as a tear wiped from my face--------My response was-----I am on old school shit!!!   Its called music:}!!!!!!!  Screamed out Jerry afterwards!!!   

DSO does a Forever Young so absolutely well!!!!   Sitting here now sheeding tears to Jerry singing this tune!!!

Its a song well worth all the time giving to it.  Not a short spin, but a long powerful and powerful movement of life.   Its making me cry now as I write this. 

Would love to hear DSO share these words and melody again.  I will have plenty of chances coming soon!!!!

I am so glad that you guys in the west got some amazing sounds!!!  Would of rather been there with you, but my time is coming soon!!!

Well wishes safe travels, and thank you for keeping "the tour", and the following alive.

Remember, they would of been, or would be nothing with out our love, and our love would not be as emotionally charged with out them:}!!!   The give and take of this music is absolutely mind blowing!!!!!

Can not help but to shed tears this day.   The music is hitting my heart with pin point precision today.   If a man ever had a period------it would cycle around what was being played.  Strange analogy, but so too are the days!!!

Thanks DSO for keeping this stuff alive.   Thanks for keeping the magic alive!!!!!!!

I, if not WE, love you, more than words can express!!!!

Archived