meet me at the movies

gtodeadhead

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
20 hours ago, helpfrankslip said:

Sure wish there was a way to stream the dso nye show kinda like the dead use to do fuck it even the audio and i is in 

Doing the source for a live audio stream is easy with today's cell phones and a WiFi link. It's possible to use the cell phone's microphone but a "external microphone" improves the sound significantly. I've done two JK shows just using my old 4S iPhone and a microphone that plugs into the phone. I think the newer microphones are about a hundred bucks.  Extra plug in battery is recommended but not always necessary. One of the several web sites to carry the live stream is "Mixlr" ... free and easy to use.  Some people also live stream a video feed.  Stu of "Liquid Sliver Streams"  does very good shows.

Peace and Love,

Doc

1 hour ago, Michael Doc Watson said:

Doing the source for a live audio stream is easy with today's cell phones and a WiFi link. It's possible to use the cell phone's microphone but a "external microphone" improves the sound significantly. I've done two JK shows just using my old 4S iPhone and a microphone that plugs into the phone. I think the newer microphones are about a hundred bucks.  Extra plug in battery is recommended but not always necessary. One of the several web sites to carry the live stream is "Mixlr" ... free and easy to use.  Some people also live stream a video feed.  Stu of "Liquid Sliver Streams"  does very good shows.

Peace and Love,

Doc

and that's exactly what I will do thanks for the tip 

• Forum MVP

Seems like it was just a few years ago that they showed the grateful dead movie but that is one flick that I'll never get tired of--and to see it on the big screen is a gift. Plus it looks like they'll be showing some other unique footage that night,,fun🎸

• Forum MVP

The unique footage is interesting, but I have better sound at the house and can watch the blue ray of the GD movie at any time.  Theater sound sucks for music imo at least at my theater.  Theaters are a big center channel when it needs to be a big stereo.

• Forum MVP

I guess if you can get some people together to make it a night out this would be alright. Agree with RD about having the perfect set up at home for the GD movie. This kinda seems like a marketing ploy to sell the recent May 77 releases and for the upcoming Long Strange trip...GD movie's been around in theaters since the 80's.

• Forum MVP

Grateful Dead movie, seen like this, has really only been around since the early 90s when it was completely remastered. But the been there, seen that point is well taken.

And I've heard that as much as 80% of movie soundtrack audio is routed to the center channel (so if you're setting up a surround sound system for watching movies don't dare skimp on your center channel), making rude's comment about theaters being one big center channel literally true.

• Forum MVP

Bit of a head-scratcher.  They gotta have more concert footage someplace although I'm sure some of it will likely appear in LST.

I distinctly remember what looked to be like  a pretty big video production going on during the fall  '91 run at MSG.   Not sure why that hasn't seen the light of day 

• Forum MVP

I mean dont forget Father Time's biggest blunder;  believing that video was the future and not film........I believe he actually fought Jerry about doing the Grateful dead movie with film cameras.  Thank god, we have that HD film footage and not the hundreds of video'd unwatchable shows recorded after.

I think thats the big issue.  There is so much GD footage thats shot in low def video that isnt appealing to watch.  Ive put on those voodoonola uploads and besides the GD movie, I just want to hear the music.  But I really do like the GD movie.  Its such great footage and sound.

• Forum MVP

Thanks for that link August. That is indeed something to look forward to...I like that they were willing to create a long documentary rather than try and squeeze what they can out of 2hrs max. 

So will this be in theaters everywhere later this spring?

• Forum MVP

Amazon prime will have Long strange trip on June 2nd YAY!!!  There wont be any bootlegs before that because it only gets shown in LA and New york 1 week earlier.

• Forum MVP

The new documentary is screening n SF on April 15th as part of the SF Film Fest. 
Very tempting, but at 4 hours it's also tempting to wait for streaming at home.   Although I got a really big screen, obviously it can't compete with a theater. But my sound is much better dammit!  As are the couch and the fridge...

• Advisory Board

My issue with the movie meet ups is that in the Chicago area you get a theater that is usually no more than half full (often less) with the sound at a low volume and nobody dancing. Nobody moving. Nothing. Every now and then a brave soul let's out a yell or a shriek. A clap. A little yelp. At the end the crowd gives their polite applause to the screen and goes home. 

You might say "well why don't you just get up and lead the way?". And you would be right in asking that. I ask myself the same thing. I want to do it but I just haven't gotten there yet. You know I have put myself out there at shows, and in that milieu I can do it. But being the only one in a movie theater? Not sure if I would be the catalyst or the clown. Or both. 

I would so much rather these meet ups be held at small venues with simple screens and good sound systems where people are there to dance and have fun. It just doesn't work out in a fancy movie theater with plush seats, no dance floor  and popcorn. I imagine it does work out for the bottom line in a corporate sense though. Oh well, all things being equal if I am free that evening I will go. I will sit there. I will tell myself to get up and dance. I will tell myself that others will follow. I will feel the tension. And then I will just stay seated....

Dr. B

Archived