College football 2016

Rude

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

i always thought urban Meyer was that perfect coach like Saban and the only reason they weren't the dominant team in the nation was that Bama sort of marketed itself as THE defensive team and got more high end defensive talent. I now think that Saban has a system so perfect that it makes other great teams look imperfect. Recruiting ranks are just a baseline of beginning talent. Many of those top guys go pro but putting them into a team format is the hard part. Ohio state was the clear number 1 preseason last year with all that pro talent. Watching zeke play, I still have no clue why they played like they did. I don't know what the insiders were saying but it looked like Urban couldn't control that team. They were coming off a national championship. Maybe they figured they didn't need to work to win another. Maybe that's carrying over again. It's definitely not lack of talent like with a Michigan state.

• Forum MVP

Texas AM is a joke at #4 ... no quality wins except over a 2 LOSS Auburn ....loss is quality on the road at Alabama BUT a day game ..

Washington should be #4 unbeaten in power 5 conference. ..Ohio State #5 based on quality ROAD night game wins at Oklahoma and Wisconsin and only loss on ROAD at night in back to back road night games ...

lots of football left ...

• Forum MVP

I'm surprised A&M got 4, but they have better wins than Washington and Ohio state. Auburn is a better win than Wisconsin. You also almost have to look at A&M like an unbeaten because bama. Has been invincible. Anyone that played them would have an L. Fortunately the other undefeateds haven't played them or they wouldn't be undefeated. Washington scheduled Rutgers for their non con. I didn't realize that until last night. The committee made clear for years if you want in the playoff u can't schedule a team like that for your "hard" game. Personally I think Washington is disqualified for the Rutgers thing. This isn't a team that turned out to be bad like Oregon. This is a team who is always bad and they knew it was an easy win. I do think louisville got the shaft but they and Ohio state took a dump last week vs scrubs. I think the 4 rating is irrelevant. Too many games left. If this was next to last game that's one thing, but worrying about 1 spot now seems ridiculous. A&M has the hardest wins based on the FPI of any 1 loss team and that's what I'm guessing it's based on.

• Forum MVP

Ohio States schedule thus far has been more difficult than Texas A&M. Three road games against teams ranked in the top 14. Texas A&M and Clemson are both getting a bump from their wins at Auburn and Auburns recent run of success, but the auburn team to start the year and the current version are two totally different teams. Still a long way to go and I think Washington and Ohio St. are both in if they win out, A&M needs to win out and get help.

• Forum MVP

OSU beat the 11, 26, 41 in the FPI.  Loses to the 26th

A&M beats the 6, 19,29 and loses to the 1

OSU ranked higher in the FPI than A&M at 5th.  A&M 9th.  Theres zero doubt that OSU's loss is worse than A&M's unless you want to debate that penn state is better than bama.  Their wins are similar and I will even give that A&M beat a different Auburn than the Auburn now.  They werent even close to the same team.

But how the rankings are set up, its clear that OSU would jump A&M if they win out and beat Michigan.  We know how this works.  They set these ranks based on today knowing later games will cause jumps.

Heres how I want to see the poll.  I want to see the ranks based upon winning out.  I want to see it set up like if the teams win the rest. 1. Bama, 2. Clemson, 3. Michigan/OSU, 4. Washington(only because I only want 1 per conference in playoff).  They should be more transparent.  Remember when TCU was 3rd and wins by 50 and gets bumped from the playoff? 

• Forum MVP

But personally I think Washington should be looked at like a 1 loss team.  There is not 1 power 5 team in the nation that played a worse "good" non conference game than they did.  They wanted easy wins to get to 6-6 and get a bowl game.  Well they should be given their top 12 bowl game, but they are not deserving of the playoff spot because of this.  Ohio state got flack for Va Tech last year so they scheduled Oklahoma to avoid any of that nonsense.  This year they can lose 1 and get in.  Last year they had to win out.  Auburn and South carolina play Clemson.  They know this is a likely loss.  Clemson should be the best team this year but deshaun isnt playing like last year.  Teams who schedule harder teams should get props.  I have lots of respect for wisconsin.  Last 2 years they played Bama and LSU.  Wow thats awesome!  I want to see an annual Bama OSU game.  It wont really hurt their playoff chances, but man how much fun would that be annually!!!  Play in Cleveland then Dallas.  They are the 2 top recruiters in the nation.  They should play every year like UK playing Carolina annually in hoops.  Everyone wants that game!

• Forum MVP

It looks like the committee jumped A&M in over Washington just to give everyone something to talk about.  They may use analytics to substantiate the decision but controversy sells.  It only really matters once the conference championships are done. 

• Forum MVP

Only an SEC fan would think an undefeated Washington should be treated as one loss team.

Everyone else wanting a playoff spot played a legit team.  Why should washington not have to.  They refused to play a game they might lose.  Ohio State scheduled a team that was in the playoffs the year before.  They could have lost that game.  Everyone but Washington scheduled a team.  But Rutgers???  I mean serious.  Only a team hoping to get to 6 wins schedules that as your hard game.  If you respect Washington for that, then you have no horse in this race.  Auburn played a game that everyone in america knew they might lose.  USC played a game that they knew they would likely lose.  By your reasoning, then no one should ever schedule a hard game.  Teams should avoid any possible non conference loss if they can just skate into a playoff that way.

Washington is disqualified in my opinion. 

Id accept Ohio State and Michigan in a playoff before Washington.

• Forum MVP

And A&m wont make the playoffs even winning out.  Wont happen.  They are the 4th best in the west imo.  Bama, Auburn, LSU then A&M is my power ranking in the west.

• Forum MVP

If you don't force contenders to play hard games then they won't ever play a hard game. Teams have been on notice for years about a hard non con game. Washington wants to sneak in. I call bullshit on them. Ohio state got shit for Va Tech last year but va tech looks like a world beater compared to Rutgers. Worst team in power 5 by FPI and this is washingtons game. Disqualified. There are teams who lost that are penalized when a team like Washington pays no penalty?? That's wrong. The committee needs to make a statement. If you intentionally schedule a team you know sucks you can't get in. This isn't a bad Oregon team. This is a team you knew damn well was horrible and you wanted just to get in a bowl.

• Forum MVP

Washington will be in if they run the table, but they have to run the table. Other teams can potentially lose and still get in. If you schedule weak, you better go undefeated. Don't be surprised if Ohio State is in the 4 spot next week if they look good beating Nebraska

• Forum MVP

Ohio state is definitely one of the top 4 teams.  They have zero margin for error the rest of the way though.  Nebraska cant even hold OSU's jock strap if OSU plays to their potential.  OSU is all pros.  Nebraska is full of guys who will take good jobs at financial service firms in Lincoln.  Well coached teams can overcome talent deficits to a degree, but Nebraska is barely beating the scrubs. If OSU pulls it together, they win by 21+.  Whats the word in Columbus??  OSU started this year playing how they should have played all last year and it looked like we would have a serious Bama OSU final game that would be a toss up.  Urban has not been good about getting these guys to overcome adversity in the last 2 years.  When Bama loses, you do NOT want to play them after.  They get fed raw meat and sleep in concrete boxes.  Last year OSU started turning on each other.

• Forum MVP

I think the people in Columbus have faith that Meyer will get it turned around. I think the whole 2 quarterback thing was a big distraction last year. They also probably thought they could just show up and win. It was unfortunate for them that it was a year where 1 loss could keep them out. If it wasn't for Michigan States fluke win on the bungled punt at Michigan, Ohio St. would have been in the playoff and things may have worked out differently. You gave to be lucky and good. Remember, if not for Arkansas wild pay to win at Ole Miss, Alabama wouldn't have won their division last year.

• Forum MVP

I'm not sold on your QB. I think he's what Tennessee is stuck with and who LSU just abandoned. A rushing QB is great in college but if he can't throw, you will get some losses. Penn State should have not had a chance to win. Only 4 teams all year on Bamas schedule have/had a legit chance of beating bama and that's if their offense collapses. OSU has defensive talent only 2nd to bama. Defense should be your hallmark. you should allow 14 pts a game avg max. Offense is irrelevant yo an extent when you play a bama type D which OSU should be doing. I dislike OSU more than any other team but I respect them and their elite talent but they are underperforming. The last 3 weeks they have had horrible defensive performances. Wisconsin has a solid D but not a great offense. Northwestern scoring 20? Wtf? Nebraska doesn't have a great offense but their d is good enough that if you don't make blocks and complete passes they will be in the game. Better figure it out soon on D as u don't get a 2nd shot. Michigan barely has 1 pro on that D and they have it figured out. good luck. I don't want to see another scrub in the playoff this year and Nebraska is home free if they beat OSU.

• Forum MVP

Bentley in SC starts last two games for the Gamecocks and looks like a very very young Brett Farvre or Steve young. He was a junior in high school last year. Fucker ain't even shaving yet. So smart he skipped sr year. His play turned the team chemistry around to rally town, and a win over TN. They went to him from a run/scramble qb with below average passing skills. High IQ and above avg athleticism beats low IQ and high athleticism most every time.

• Forum MVP

Do you think the Conferences would realign to help with competitive balance? It seems to me that the major Conferences are a little lopsided with one division clearly stronger than the other. I think the ACC should move the two Virginia schools to the Atlantic and move NC ST. and Florida St. to the Coastal. The Big 10 could move Michigan St. to the west and Purdue to the east, the SEC could move Missouri and Vandy to the west and Alabama and Auburn to the East. It may just be cyclical but it seems to be getting worse. I think the Pac 12 makes sense the way it is, and the Big 12 doesn't have divisions. The ACC switch makes sense geographically creating a north and south, The Big 10 change wouldn't matter much geographically and the balance in basketball wouldn't change much, the SEC switch would help to make the east stronger in Football and the west stronger in basketball.

• Forum MVP

The SEC should have realigned when they added A&M and Missouri but they didn't, they just added 1 to the west and 1 to the east. Unfortunately they put the stronger team in the west which just made it worse. If things fall right this weekend, we could be looking at the real possibility of a Kentucky v. Alabama championship game and who other than Rude would want to see that bloodbath. I was thinking more of the SEC and ACC than the Big 10, they are the 2 that really seem out of balance.

Archived