Random thoughts and randomness in general

Rude

• Forum MVP

there goes the Robert E Lee could be applied to anyone losing something in life they cherished. Good literature applies to different contexts. I'm glad you brought this up. Jerry's TNTDODD has been rambling through my mind since all the destruction started. Whether certain songs can be played again will have a direct colleration with how much censorship comes down.  Just finished multiple listenings of the 8/1/94 Liberty and really heard the words for the first time. I didn't buy into it in 1994 as the drift away started happening. I now look at it as the spirit world protecting me from what was about to happen a year later. Dropped me in the folds of emmylou to keep me keeping on without our gd tour guide

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Requested my Wilmington refunds lol. That shows still on the schedule right? 😕. Need to get my JRAD double rescheduled and prob try to get stones 2021 back. I forgot which shows I even bought lol. Not sure how long it will take my mind to lose the fear of being on a shoulder to shoulder dance floor. This has more consequences than just physical. Will we ever get our heads back to February 2020? Maybe hypnosis. 

• Forum MVP

So, I went fishing yesterday. As I was pulling my twelve foot mega yacht back out of the water at the boat ramp, this guy walks up to me. He says, I saw your license plate and thought, is that the Grateful Dead song And then when you pulled the boat out and I saw the stealie  on the transom, I figured it must be the Dead song. We started talking. I explained to him his necessity to catch Dark Star  Orchestra. Turns out he saw Jerry and the boys and girl at Red Rocks, 7/08/78. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

TO GARCIA
by Ken Kesey

Hey, Jerry-- what's happening? I caught your funeral. Weird.

Big Steve was good. And Grissman. Sweet sounds. But what really stood
out -- stands out -- is the thundering silence, the lack, the absence of
that golden Garcia lead line, of that familiar slick lick with the uptwist
at the end, that merry snake twining through the woodpile, flickering in
and out of the loosely stacked chords...a wriggling mystery, bright and
slick as fire... suddenly gone.

And the silence left in its wake was-- is-- positively ear-splitting.

Now they want me to say something about that absence, Jer. Tell
some backstage story, share some poigniant reminescence. But I have to
tell you, man: I find myself considerably disinclined. I mean, why go against the grain of such an eloquent silence?

I remember standing out in the pearly early dawn after the Muir Beach Acid Test, leaning on the top rail of a driftwood fence with you and Lesh and Babbs, watching the world light up, talking about our glorious futures. The gig had been semi-successful and the air was full of exulted fantasies. Babbs whacks Phil on the back.
"Just like the big time, huh Phil."

"It is! It is the big time! Why, we could cut a chart-busting record to-fucking-morrow!"
I was even more optimistic. "Hey, we taped tonight's show. We could release a record tomorrow.
"Yeah right--" (holding up that digitally challenged hand the way you did when you wanted to call attention to the truth or the lack thereof) 
"--and a year from tomorrow be recording a Things Go Better With Coke commercial."
You could be a sharp-tongued popper-of-balloons shit-head when you were so inclined, you know. A real bastard. 
You were the sworn enemy of
hot air and commercials, however righteous the cause or lucrative the
product. 
Nobody ever heard you use that microphone as a pulpit. 
No anti-war rants, no hymns to peace. 
No odes to the trees and All things
Organic. 
No ego-deaths or born-againnesses. 
No devils denounced no gurus
glorified. 
No dogmatic howlings that I ever caught wind of. 
In fact, your steadfast denial of dogma was as close as you ever came to having a creed.
And to the very end, Old Timer, you were true to that creed. 
No commercials. No trendy spins. No bayings of belief. 
And if you did have any dogma you surely kept it tied up under the back porch where a smelly old hound belongs.

I guess that's what I mean about a loud silence. Like Michaelangelo said about sculpting, "The statue exists inside the block of marble. All you have to do is chip away the stone you don't need." You
were always chipping away at the superficial.

It was the false notes you didn't play that kept that lead line so golden pure. It was the words you didn't sing. So this is what we are left with, Jerry: this golden silence. It rings on and on without any
hint of let up...on and on. And I expect it will still be ringing years from now.

Because you're still not playing falsely. Because you're still not singing 
Things Go Better With Coke.

Ever your friend,
Keez

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

"There’s no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or as a player. I don’t think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He’s the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me he wasn’t only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he’ll ever know. There’s a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle".

"There’s no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep."

BOB DYLAN - 1995/08/11

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Just watched The Who: Tommy (1975) again. Never really realized how much the director was trying to emulate Kubrick starting with opening credits lol. I do love the acid queen part. Tina turner rocks it. Covid days. Watching trippy movies at 2pm. Now on to my 3-5 dead shows per night as I drink good bourbon until 2am. Structure left the building 3-4 months ago. About 18 weeks from a serious dose of it. 

on another note I believe I may be going stir crazy. Pretty sure that’s a DSM-5 condition. Been singing behind blue eyes and changing the words out as odes to my cats. Yeah.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 1

• Forum MVP

You haven't heard Behind Blue Eyes until you get hold of a good original pressing of Who's Next and throw it on a nice vinyl rig. Some stunning shit is possible, and don't make 'em like they used to.

Which makes me wonder out loud relative to this forum - Chuck, did you save your LPs from back in the day (and take good care of them)? There could be a potential gold mine of stuff there!

• Forum MVP
6 minutes ago, John A said:

Chuck, did you save your LPs from back in the day (and take good care of them)? There could be a potential gold mine of stuff there!

Yes, I did, and yes there possibly is. Not only that, most of them are on good quality vinyl  (as opposed to the cutouts so many will fondly remember) and I took very good care of them under sometimes suboptimal situations. No stacking on a spindle for me. Covers and slips are good too. I have most of the booklets that came with those that came with booklets. One of my favs is the Last Days of the Fillmore box set. The one with Blows Against the Empire is great too.

In fact, even now when I do handle CDs I still only hold them by the edges rather than treat them as if they are coasters for drinks.

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, John A said:

You haven't heard Behind Blue Eyes until you get hold of a good original pressing of Who's Next and throw it on a nice vinyl rig. Some stunning shit is possible, and don't make 'em like they used to.

Which makes me wonder out loud relative to this forum - Chuck, did you save your LPs from back in the day (and take good care of them)? There could be a potential gold mine of stuff there!

I was listening to a 200 gram pressing digitally converted from a music hall MMF-5 turntable with Goldring G1012 cartridge

24 bit 96kHz

• Forum MVP

11 shows in 3 nights........thank you Covid..?...?..the gf said enough already.  Note she’s buying us Tix still to anything dead related within 5 hours drive and letting me know after the fact that we are attending, but she said she’s not into deep dive analysis listening to the same tour 2x in a row. Is it sexist to be like it’s good to be the man? What’s correct anymore? Can we think or is it forbidden? Can I make bad humor jokes?(with the salt of the earth gang if you don’t make them you are ousted ;))

burp 

• Forum MVP

So laying in bed at 4am I just started cracking up thinking about tonight. Hope you guys dont mind me sharing but I can’t stop laughing. So I suggest to tea and Gr8tfulpair that we should do a zoom call sometime. Tea said let’s do it now. This was like 1am eastern or close. I install the app and start a call and link the invite. A few minutes later Gr8tfulpair joins. We are like where the frick is tea. We chat for a while as I was informed early that his phone was at 1% and the only charger was one that our long lost friend sunny had left and it drains battery vs actually charging it which makes sense and also makes me continue to laugh. Well eventually I get a locked pic of Gr8tfulpair which means battery dead then get a video in our chat group of Tea’s front door cam showing he’s locked out of his house and that’s why he didn’t join the zoom. Still laughing. I miss my tour crew. I miss so many of you. Tour is another home. I miss it :(.

• Like (+1) 3
  • LMAO 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rude said:

11 shows in 3 nights........thank you Covid..?...?..the gf said enough already.  Note she’s buying us Tix still to anything dead related within 5 hours drive and letting me know after the fact that we are attending, but she said she’s not into deep dive analysis listening to the same tour 2x in a row. Is it sexist to be like it’s good to be the man? What’s correct anymore? Can we think or is it forbidden? Can I make bad humor jokes?(with the salt of the earth gang if you don’t make them you are ousted ;))

burp 

11 shows in 3 nights. Impressive. What shows buddy and what are you listening to it on. I’ve been actually sitting back and watching the DVDs of “all the years combined”...I have a pretty sweet sound bar and bass bottom. Feels like I’m there after enough Jameson. Feeling your pain man, this is harsh with no dso 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, Rude said:

So laying in bed at 4am I just started cracking up thinking about tonight. Hope you guys dont mind me sharing but I can’t stop laughing. So I suggest to tea and Gr8tfulpair that we should do a zoom call sometime. Tea said let’s do it now. This was like 1am eastern or close. I install the app and start a call and link the invite. A few minutes later Gr8tfulpair joins. We are like where the frick is tea. We chat for a while as I was informed early that his phone was at 1% and the only charger was one that our long lost friend sunny had left and it drains battery vs actually charging it which makes sense and also makes me continue to laugh. Well eventually I get a locked pic of Gr8tfulpair which means battery dead then get a video in our chat group of Tea’s front door cam showing he’s locked out of his house and that’s why he didn’t join the zoom. Still laughing. I miss my tour crew. I miss so many of you. Tour is another home. I miss it :(.

Yeah - got loose last nite and ended up getting locked outta the house.  No spare keys or open windows.  I tried to wake up my son but got the wife instead - along with tripping the security camera.  She was 91 into dialing 911 until she saw it was me.  There was no “I’m just disappointed” just molten lava.  

Miss the SOTE gang and all you other knuckleheads

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 3

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Vic81 said:

11 shows in 3 nights. Impressive. What shows buddy and what are you listening to it on. I’ve been actually sitting back and watching the DVDs of “all the years combined”...I have a pretty sweet sound bar and bass bottom. Feels like I’m there after enough Jameson. Feeling your pain man, this is harsh with no dso 

Been doing the summer 85 lead vocal echo tour. Healy had some toys and was overusing them lol. Starts fast and strong on 6/14. Starts to fade by the Hershey Park rain soaked show. There’s a touch of grey in the Greek theater run that’s so fast jerry skips coming in every beat to try to catch up. Impossible to really play jazz style when it’s that fast. Bobby is on fire vocally in that run. Not sure why they went that fast but it’s good music if you need to release some anger. 

if you want a song that’s the epitome of this tour sound wise listen to the 6/24/85 GSET. The lead vocal echo is sooooo over the top lol 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Rude said:

Been doing the summer 85 lead vocal echo tour.

Do you remember Brent's jam on Big River 6-25 Blossom?  If not relisten.

Summer '85 gets off to a sizzling start with the Frost and Greeks.  All 3 Greeks have their own special stuff going on.  Alpine is OK.  Jerry's guitar is completely absent for the set 2 opener Keep On Growing in Alpine night 2. And launching into Mississippi first note there he is!

Next 4 one stop cities are all solid, with special mention to the energy at Blossom. How 'bout that Comes A Time > Bird Song > Deal in Hershey? (In fairness to the uneven nature of it the period that Rude alluded to), there is little jamming in that Come a Time > Bird Song)

Then 2 really solid nights at Merriweather and somewhat of a forgettable night in Pittsburgh.

Wait until you get to that fall tour, especially Halloween and beyond...

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Looking for a bigger/better Bluetooth speaker. Always wanted to get a B&W zeppelin speaker to travel with. Yes it’s a tad large to haul around but not quite as big as some of the JBL 2 cubic foot speakers. We upgraded from the multitudes of $50 travel speakers while on Dso tour after our last garbage tiny speaker crapped out to a Sony SRS at a bestbuy in Columbus as it was the best available that had a battery but it doesn’t really cut it except for hotel use. I know some of you are audiophiles and i don’t trust promoted articles online and Higher quality portable speakers aren’t really available for listening where I am or almost anywhere. 

• Forum MVP

Can’t wait til the racist fucks have their leader go down in flames. Wonder who’s white supremacist dick they will suck on next? Stephen Miller is likely best bet. I left Facebook almost 3 years ago because so many were exposed for their hypocrisy. The smart ones stopped defending the nonsense. I was tired of it all regardless. But its time to end this shit!!!!! 3 months until we can send the turd and his low IQ minions on their way. Luckily this is a dead site and not a kid Rock/ted nugent site. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Random thought

i never sing at shows or generally make any sounds besides footsteps. Of course yell during the 2 crowd parts of OMSN or clap the nfa. But...if everyone else was quiet, we’d lose that crowd surround noise so....maybe talkers and drunk talkers and singers are not so bad. Tea got me started in this 6-23-88 alpine show and the rowdiness is palpable. But then alpine shows had to be great for the fans and the band. The Midwest is the best!!!! Next project. Gonna do every alpine show in a row. Summer up there is some great shit.

• Like (+1) 1