TIGDH

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

8/6/71?  Yes please!  Top Tenner on every list - no matter the day.  Legendary recording from an apparent Noob.  What?

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-06.aud.bertrando.yerys.129.sbeok.shnf

Hard to Handle tops 4/29/71.  It actually toys with it before killing it.  Sorry Chris

great, great, great Cumby. BUT

Truckin > Drums > Other One > MAMU > Other One is one of the best segments the GD ever played .  I’m 98% partial to all-time Jerry tune segments but this is some of the best stuff there is.  Zero hyperbole 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, gr8fulpair said:

Fuck that bullshit. Nothing outdoes 4/29/71 HTH

Define nothing.  HTH from 8/6 is 4/29’s Daddy.  They were almost 4 months more refined.  4 months is one year in GD evolution

• Forum MVP

Jesus, you two.  Get a room. 😜

Everyone knows that 8-6-71 is THE Hard To Handle. 😎

(Disclosure:  Due to the mind boggling nature of the quality of the 8-6 audience tape I am massively biased.  Fuck, there may not be a better audience tape in the entire decade!)

• Forum MVP

Yes, let the people speak. 8-6-71 is a contender, because even if you don't give the nod to 4-29 based on Jerry's work (which you def should), Pig and Phil are so much better in the 4-29 you have to rank it so. My personal opinion is that Jerry's guitar work in that version is the best I've ever heard. It still gives me full body chills after hundreds of listens. Specifically from about 6:00-8:00 is my case. There is a drop from the incredibly high ledge Jerry just took you up to and it's at the 7:20 point. I've not heard another version where he does it that ferocious yet so soothing. Hell if all that don't get the nod, how bout 4/29 being a full minute longer. More Jerry = mo better. I will fight for this show, but not physically or where anybody is mean and hurts somebody's feelings. Let's get a report from Greg.

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

Well, I just listened to both versions, in chronological order. They both were enjoyable listens in their own right. Pig seemed to do a better job with 4/29. Audience reaction is easy to hear on 8/06. I’m gonna call it, they’re both tied for second place! Now, go listen to 2/24/71 hard to handle. Coincidentally, that tape has been getting a turn in my truck as of late. A completely different interpretation and two months earlier. Go figure. It’s the Grateful Dead. That’s why these friendly debates are still happening 25 years after Jerry’s passing, 49 years after their original performances. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Interesting, headyversion has 8/06 and 4/29 in first and second place, respectively. 8/06 had 174 votes to 4/29 at 52 votes. All others were 1971. My vote didn’t register. 

I don't even know what the fuck that's supposed to be. You back on the PCP Greg?

• LMAO 2

• Forum MVP

I was really tired. I had been using a chainsaw all day, not PCP. This debate over the best hard to handle got my to google heady version to see what other versions were in consideration.  On that website, people voted the 8/06 version the best HTH with 174 votes. 4/29 took second place with 52 votes. My choice of 2/24 didn’t even make the list. Except for 12/31/82(?), every HTH on the list was from 1971. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

91/08/14  Cal Expo Amphitheatre  Sacramento, CA

Touch of Grey, Rooster, Loser, Black Throated Wind,

Row Jimmy, Cassidy>Don't Ease.

Cold Rain and Snow, Box of Rain,Looks Like Rain>

Crazy Fingers>Estimated Prophet>Supplication Jam>

Uncle John's Band>D>S>Other One>Wharf Rat>

Round and Round.

Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

Second set looks other worldly.

Perhaps JohnA can impart some 

first hand knowledge.

Praise DSO.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Yeah, I got some first hand knowledge - we got busted FOB during the 1st set. ☹️

My buddy Rob took the official fall and was unceremoniously booted, and ever the former hockey player I found him roller blading around the parking lot post show.

There was rare August Northern CA precipitation somewhere along the line, thus the pre-drums song sequence.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, John A said:

Yeah, I got some first hand knowledge - we got busted FOB during the 1st set. ☹️

My buddy Rob took the official fall and was unceremoniously booted, and ever the former hockey player I found him roller blading around the parking lot post show.

There was rare August Northern CA precipitation somewhere along the line, thus the pre-drums song sequence.

Damn human authority figures.

How much of a Supplication jam?

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 8/6/2020 at 10:14 PM, Tea said:

8/6/71?  Yes please!  Top Tenner on every list - no matter the day.  Legendary recording from an apparent Noob.  What?

https://archive.org/details/gd71-08-06.aud.bertrando.yerys.129.sbeok.shnf

Hard to Handle tops 4/29/71.  It actually toys with it before killing it.  Sorry Chris

great, great, great Cumby. BUT

Truckin > Drums > Other One > MAMU > Other One is one of the best segments the GD ever played .  I’m 98% partial to all-time Jerry tune segments but this is some of the best stuff there is.  Zero hyperbole 

You are correct,  8-6-71 is the best HTH and the Truckin through other one segment is awesome stuff. I use this show a lot to Kickstart my day first thing in the morning. The recording certainly enhances the greatness. The new years 69 HTH isn't bad either for a non 71 version. Maybe there should be a poll,  can we still do poll questions on here?

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Park West 8/20/87. First in line at 4am, by 6am there was a crowd of maybe 100 people lined up,  got the rail, big boss man opener, china Ryder second set, stella,  most peaceful place to be. Waist high stage we could drape our arms on , nothing but the band 5 feet away. End of rocky mountain tour for me , 12 hr drive up from Tempe two nights earlier. Then the long desert drive home through Utah and western Wyoming getting to Laramie. Gas was cheap, nothing left to do but smile,  smile,  smile and dream of the next show which was eel river in Humboldt with JGB acoustic and electric,  3 sets for $15.00. When's that time machine coming?

• Like (+1) 6

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Park West 8/20/87. First in line at 4am, by 6am there was a crowd of maybe 100 people lined up,  got the rail, big boss man opener, china Ryder second set, stella,  most peaceful place to be. Waist high stage we could drape our arms on , nothing but the band 5 feet away. End of rocky mountain tour for me , 12 hr drive up from Tempe two nights earlier. Then the long desert drive home through Utah and western Wyoming getting to Laramie. Gas was cheap, nothing left to do but smile,  smile,  smile and dream of the next show which was eel river in Humboldt with JGB acoustic and electric,  3 sets for $15.00. When's that time machine coming?

Great stuff.  Thanks for sharing.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

https://archive.org/details/gd1983-09-11.125609.mtx.dusborne.flac16

I've been waiting to post this show. It's one of my all time favorites. I listened to the tape of this show while at summer school at Arizona State University,  especially the first set then. Apparently during the second set, because of a light rain, a rainbow appeared during Morning Dew.  As I've posted before,  the wang dang doodle is one of my favorite segues ever. My first shows were red Rocks right before this musical adventure. That last night at RR, as everyone was walking the lot to their cars, there was a soft chant going on "ssssaaannnta fe, ssssaannnta fe", over and over. I didn't know what was going on back then, but looking back now I realize it was tour heads going down there for the final show of this run and magic was being conjured up 

Gotta love those midset Hell in a Buckets,  esp 83 buckets,  this show is gold at every turn, they must've had nothing but love in Santa fe 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1