A band I saw last night

Rude

A few months ago I heard about "goose". I heard they were the next jam band, I YouTube'd them and viewed quite a few of their videos and on 01 Oct I caught an Atlanta show.  Wow!

Three thumbs up!  They just may be the jammiest band out there right now!  They played two sets and it was fun not knowing any of their tunes, not knowing what will happen next.

It was a real treat. 

If goose comes near you, check them out. If they aren't coming near you, go to them, you will not be disappointed. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Goose announced their new year shows in Cincinnati after we had already committed to Billy Strings and a week in New Orleans to the end the year. Dead and Co is selling next year's Riverbend ticket October 14 for aJune 23 show. My buddy from Nashville wants to come up for the "final tour" show and I told him we would have to do cash or trade. no way I'd shell out $$$ now for next June. They'll have all that summer tour money in October, seems scammish. Plus it could interfere with the 2023 DSO show schedule. Hyryder folks have been chirping about goose since last new years show. Some cat just came up to me and said... go see goose

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Born Cross Eyed 10/22/22

Zanzabar Louisville KY 

Cold Rain and Snow

Wang Dang Doodle

Althea 

Big RR 

My Brother Esau 

Brown Eyed Women 

Loser 

Passenger 

Must have been the Roses 

You Ain't Woman enough 

Pride of Cucamonga 

Easy Wind 

The Wheel>

Playing>

UJB>

Playing

Wharf Rat>

Dear Mr Fantasy 

O and O 

Casey Jones

Shall Be Released

11pm

They were in really good form, every song was a gem.

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

Caught Grateful Shred last night in Seattle…well named band…great vibes and jams

Loose dudes, ready to rip

They play again tonight and So does Bobby and wolf bros which I’ve been wavering on but I think we finally figured out our strategy…

Get cheapest tix we can find for Bobby at Paramount theater (glad we didn’t already buy anything),,sit and pay homage to Bobby and enjoy the old ornate theater (while visualizing DSO bumping up to there from the Showbox at some point),,take off at set break so we can catch all of grateful shred and DANCE the night away…! Should be a well rounded night 😎

Shred is playing night 9 tonight out of 10 days up the west coast…like old school DSO days when everyone was a bit younger..!!!

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Xtra Ticket, a band out here in AZ.  They typically import Dave Abear from Colorado.  Last night they also had Scott Guberman in town and his impact was evident.

Viola Lee was a first set highlight.

set 2

Help

Slip

Frank

Estimated

Eyes

Terrapin

Corinna 

Fantasy

and after that your guess is as good as mine 

Very strong stuff, and anyone here who could see Abear play would be glad they did, guy rips it up.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

We had abear doing Wednesday's nights at so many roads all summer. We made it when we could often bringing the little one. Only like 20 people showed up. It blew my mind. Guy is talented and the young guy on keys they had was good too. I was absolutely shocked no one showed up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Emmylou Harris and The Red Dirt Boys exit/in Nashville, TN 8-9:39pm

Here I Am 

Orphan Girl 

Guitar Town 

Making Believe 

Get Up John 

Gulf Coast Highway 

Ol five and dimers 

Green Pastures 

Two More Bottles of wine 

Ooh Last Vegas 

Luxury Liner 

Calling My Children 

Goodbye 

Pancho and Lefty 

All the road running ( my first)

Wheels 

Ain't living long like this 

Together Again 

Tulsa Queen 

Born to run 

Rose of the Cimmeran (also a first for me)

Save the last dance for me 

Leaving Louisiana in the Broad Daylight.

Oh my goodness, in a bar and the musicianship of her band is off the hook. She really enjoyed the night smiling through out and dancing with her silver cowboy boots 

• Like (+1) 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
Hyryder @ Vogue 12/10/22 Indianapolis, IN
Set 1
Samba in the Rain, Easy Answers, Liberty, Picasso Moon, Foolish Heart, Hell in a Bucket, My Brother Esau, Throwing Stones,
Touch of Grey

Set 2 (Go to Heaven)
Alabama Getaway, Far From Me, Althea, Feel Like a Stranger, Lost Sailor> Saint of Circumstance, Antwerp's Placebo, Easy to Love You, Don't Ease Me In (Bonus Track) Jack-A-Roe

Set 3
Shakedown Street> Estimated Prophet> The Music Never Stopped> Let It Grow> Eyes of the World> He's Gone> Drums/Space> The Other One> Alligator> The Golden Road
E. Cream Puff War

A trip backwards through time of all dead originals. Set 3 is as good as it gets musically. They post SBD with vids of every show. Their visual peeps are fantastic. 1 guy with the oil and water with a bowl projecting combined with a really trippy projection behind the band. Check out this shakedown to start set 3. Wow. Whole set 3 was a wow. https://m.facebook.com/hyryder
  • Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Rude said:
Hyryder @ Vogue 12/10/22 Indianapolis, IN
Set 1
Samba in the Rain, Easy Answers, Liberty, Picasso Moon, Foolish Heart, Hell in a Bucket, My Brother Esau, Throwing Stones,
Touch of Grey

Set 2 (Go to Heaven)
Alabama Getaway, Far From Me, Althea, Feel Like a Stranger, Lost Sailor> Saint of Circumstance, Antwerp's Placebo, Easy to Love You, Don't Ease Me In (Bonus Track) Jack-A-Roe

Set 3
Shakedown Street> Estimated Prophet> The Music Never Stopped> Let It Grow> Eyes of the World> He's Gone> Drums/Space> The Other One> Alligator> The Golden Road
E. Cream Puff War

A trip backwards through time of all dead originals. Set 3 is as good as it gets musically. They post SBD with vids of every show. Their visual peeps are fantastic. 1 guy with the oil and water with a bowl projecting combined with a really trippy projection behind the band. Check out this shakedown to start set 3. Wow. Whole set 3 was a wow. https://m.facebook.com/hyryder

That's a ballsy 1st set!

• Forum MVP

4 hours ago, Mango said:

That's a ballsy 1st set!

Every song played was in backwards chronological order starting with Samba and ending with Cream Puff War. Set 2 they played Go to Heaven in order so that was the exception. 

interesting concept. I verified the dates 1st played in the annotated Grateful Dead lyrics which lists the dead original performance. They made sure every song was 1st played before the song before. I didn’t realize it at the time just being in the groove. 

i don’t think anyone we talked to at the show wasn’t going to skull and roses. All those Indy peeps are going out there to enjoy a fest and support Hyryder. Like every person we talked with lol. I was making a comment in the bathroom how I wish there was the dance space like DSO in Atlanta Roxy a year ago and dude next to me said that was an awesome weekend. He was one of the few that showed for shows at that epic venue. It’s a small world in the dead scene. Having a deadicated dead bar in Indy really helps to build the following. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I streamed most of that Hyryder 3rd set and it was indeed bonkers!  Best I’ve heard them sound - Electric

Woulda streamed the whole thing but I found a local dead cover band while visiting my mom in Ann Arbor!  Wasn’t expecting too much but they brought IT!  This place was tinsy-tiny - dance floor held about 30.  Judging by my soreness after, it was a good time!

Deadicated at The Rumpus Room, Chelsea, MI - 12/10/22

The Way You Do The Things You Do
Waiting For A Miracle
Dire Wolf
Run Rudolph Run
Whisky In The Jar
Stop That Train
Positively 4th Street
Black Throated Wind
Rubin And Cherise > Let It Snow
Sugaree > Let It Snow

Uncle John’s Band
Mr. Charlie
Doin That Rag >
Till The Morning Comes
Greatest Story Ever Told
Cassidy
Cats Down Under The Stars
Eye’s Of The World > 
Drums > Space 
Mississippi Half Step > 
Going Down The Road 

E:  Brown Eyed Women

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

22/12/17  Mother's Cafe and Bar,   Arnold, MD

Cold Rain and Snow, St. Stephen, Corinna, Row Jimmy,

Chinatown Shuffle, Tennessee Jed, Passenger, Big RR

Blues, Greatest Story,  Help>Slip>Frank.

Hell In A Bucket, Touch of Grey, Unbroken Chain,

Ship of Fools, Run Rudolph Run, He's Gone>Music 

Never Stopped>Stella Blue>One More Saturday Nite.

E:  Casey Jones.

Bless local Dead.

Home and showered by 12:15.

Christmas party at the local tavern sweeps all on

a ride of joy. Appropriate opener, first time played

Chinatown Shuffle absolutely killed.  Passenger

Big RR a fine combo and the H-S-F well executed.

Bucket opener reminded of NYE87.  The Unbroken

had a nice end jam segment, apparently RRR not only

for Penn's Peak.  Music off the He's Gone worked.

I had a full runway for the OMSN.

Hope all are well and Happy Holidays.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

BMFS transitioned outta 22 sans countdown, starting MMATC 11:57pm and taking it 15 minutes into 23, maybe by the third number he took a breather to say Happy New Year. Did not want to stop playing even belting out a Little Maggie at the end of a sprawling 3 sets. Only real dead song was the long shelved Oh The Dreadful, second set , first night. Apparently he  hasn't done any proper dead since playing with Weir. The Tangled up was more Dylan style although there were hints of it a Dark Star as it started transitioning. All Fall Down raged to close the first last night 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Saw widespread panic’s 2 night run at Bridgestone Nashville. The upper level was unsold so we went from the packerd floor up to a sweet wide open smoking section for our group. Their arena sound was dialed in. There were points that we sat and closed our eyes and left the universe and we were pretty much sober and they still scrambled my head. 30 minute long intentional psychsdelic melt segments in 2nd set. It reminded me of Roger waters how the sound was coming at you from every angle. They really did the light show up being an arena New Years and it wasn’t a normal speaker setup too. It was nicely set up to move the sound everywhere and there was a 5 minute stretch where the stage was gone and these crazy lights started taking us on a space ride. Note I just had a bit of whiskey and it felt as wild as any trip. I think I got tranced. I realize I need to see Panic more. I was blown away. Of course New Years in a massive joint gets more invested in the sound and lights but man was it was epic. 

edit: we got a Low Spark and a love the one you’re with at midnight New Years. I thought I was at a DSO show. 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

I took the boys and a buddy to New Orleans for Billy. We stayed in Tuscaloosa Thursday and had the whole city to ourselves because everyone was already in NO for the sugar bowl. We ended up going to the sugar bowl and was a cool way to spend the day. Left early due to Bama beatdown. Literally bumped right into Archie Manning outside his restaurant while looking over my shoulder trying to sneak out to the street for a toke 🤣. We didn’t get to do much pokin around, but ate some good shit, and had a killer time. Broke my foot thanksgiving week and had been feeling pretty good but it was the size of a grapefruit again when I got home. Totally worth it. If you ask Luke the highlight was the 75,000 sq ft gas station Buc-ee’s that had killer brisket sandwiches and was kind of like a mix between a grocery store and a Bass Pro shop. Lol my friend told Luke he’d buy him a beaver hat but he had to wear it the whole trip so all my pics luke is wearing a bucee beaver toboggan with the pippy  longstocking braids. He says Billy is kicking it to 3 nights next year but I don’t know where he saw it

Also ran into AC both nights in NO but we somehow missed each other at the Pageant 😂 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

On new years day it was announced 12/29, 12/30 and 12/31 Lakefront Arena and stated Tickets eventually for sale. It was a long two day drive from Cincy. I'm thinking this year of doing the three night Halloween run in Asheville after all those crszy Zeppelin tunes, war Pigs, nights in White Satin, his Halloween shows started getting crazy with his 2018 Seattle show where they were all dressed in feathers and every song had a bird in it ending with an incredible Freebird including the rousing guitar leads as the end. Most bands who cover freebird only do the piano and slide leading up to the ripping solos , not Billy he had his les Paul and captured most of what Skynyrds three guitarists shared. So nice to run into a familiar friend, Duck. New years 2018 was when I met you. That pageant show was well worth the six hour drive. Can't believe we got a St Stephen when the next show was obviously going to be a 60's early dead recreation. New Orleans was the first time I'd had a hangover in years. DSO did nye righteously opening with After midnight and spacing into a fantasy. If any one is coming in for the three Cincy shows in March Hotel AC still has a couple of vacancies 🛌💤

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
On 1/3/2023 at 3:23 PM, Dead duck said:

I took the boys and a buddy to New Orleans for Billy. We stayed in Tuscaloosa Thursday and had the whole city to ourselves because everyone was already in NO for the sugar bowl. We ended up going to the sugar bowl and was a cool way to spend the day. Left early due to Bama beatdown. Literally bumped right into Archie Manning outside his restaurant while looking over my shoulder trying to sneak out to the street for a toke 🤣. We didn’t get to do much pokin around, but ate some good shit, and had a killer time. Broke my foot thanksgiving week and had been feeling pretty good but it was the size of a grapefruit again when I got home. Totally worth it. If you ask Luke the highlight was the 75,000 sq ft gas station Buc-ee’s that had killer brisket sandwiches and was kind of like a mix between a grocery store and a Bass Pro shop. Lol my friend told Luke he’d buy him a beaver hat but he had to wear it the whole trip so all my pics luke is wearing a bucee beaver toboggan with the pippy  longstocking braids. He says Billy is kicking it to 3 nights next year but I don’t know where he saw it

Also ran into AC both nights in NO but we somehow missed each other at the Pageant 😂 

epic time!!!! Trying to catch sport on tour is always fun. The only thing we got was an OSU V MD game in Columbus 4 years ago and that was like a 60-7 game. 

i think Billy Strings is pulling peeps from other tours. Nashville panic was so unsold that they closed the 300 level night 1 and night 2 maybe 100 tix were sold for the whole upper arena but at least we could go up there. I have to think it’s Billy pulling peeps away. He already sold out 2 nights of Bridgestone which is nuts. 

• Forum MVP

Sammy and I went over to Louisville to see Stolen Faces from Nashville. It was a good time. They played tight but short jams which meant a ton of songs got played. I need to back off and give my foot time to heal before Summer but I’ll have to start after next weekend because we are going up to Grateful Dead night at the Redwings on the 14th. Taking my sister and nieces who aren’t dead or hockey fans. Merry Christmas to them lol

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Fun time with some local GD music!  50-60 room - got jumpin pretty good !  Nice to have a truly local band that keeps upping their game each time ;

Bring out yer Dead - Carrboro, NC

1st Set (Acoustic)
Dark Hollow
Dire Wolf 
Cassidy
Deep Elem Blues
On the Road Again
Bird Song > 
Uncle Johns Band > 
Candyman >
Cumberland Blues >
Bird Song Reprise > 
Ripple

2nd Set
Jam > 
China Cat Sunflower > 
I Know You Rider
Ramble on Rose
Playin in the Band (v1) >
Terrapin Station >
Playin Jam >
Drums > 
Not Fade Away > 
Goin Down The Road Feelin Bad >
Scarlet Begonias >
Fire on the Mountain > 
Throwing Stones >
Not Fade Away Reprise

E:  One More Saturday Night > Casey Jones > US Blues

Whew - kept on going and going and going.  Almost 4 hrs!  Icing those knees as we speak

• Like (+1) 5