A band I saw last night

Rude

• Forum MVP

Hyryder at, hands down, the best venue in the Cincy area, RIVERFRONT LIVE. 

The Jack Straw had me reminiscing of 10/20/84. For one explosive lead run at the end of a drippy 70's version of Dancin' Charlie tap the peddle taking off the plump, plump, plump sound to rage a straight up down and dirty lead, tapping it back into the sound we know of with those plumpy notes that Dancin is famous for. I like a band that I got to pay attention to for these momentary streaks of lightning. I know, DSO has been introduced to the new venue in Newport, but this is a plea to consider the independent music venues. Don't let that November experience deter from coming back to Annie's, whoops I mean RL. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 1/16/2023 at 4:04 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Hyryder at, hands down, the best venue in the Cincy area, RIVERFRONT LIVE. 

For one explosive lead run at the end of a drippy 70's version of Dancin' Charlie tap the peddle taking off the plump, plump, plump sound to rage a straight up down and dirty lead, tapping it back into the sound we know of with those plumpy notes that Dancin is famous for. I like a band that I got to pay attention to for these momentary streaks of lightning.

Hyryder is the real deal.  DSO is my first love and will always be tops but them boys can 100% bring it.  The last 6 months have been nothing short of amazing.  The Skull & Roses nod is totally deserved!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
19 hours ago, Tea said:

Hyryder is the real deal.  DSO is my first love and will always be tops but them boys can 100% bring it.  The last 6 months have been nothing short of amazing.  The Skull & Roses nod is totally deserved!

Agree with your sentiments. Have seen them a couple dozen times since pre pandemic days. They did great job playing thru pandemic.
They do remain a primarily regional act with only sporadic weekend dates.

They keep getting better.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Friends accuse me of being biased against Deadco b/c I see so much DSO. I’m biased towards good music. Hyryder is fantastic. I’ve also seen some bad dead tributes who I won’t name. I listen to the music and if it’s good I like it and if it’s not I don’t. It’s pretty simple. I’d love to be in love with Deadco. Think of how many extra shows in cool venues I’d see. It sort of sucks. I’ve seen them in a bunch of cool venues but that tempo just sucks it out of me. Folsom field, Shoreline, wrigley. I tried and tried. It’s not like I didn’t give them a shot. I’ve had fun at most shows but it’s not the musical fun of other bands. It’s the fun of being in a football stadium in the middle of summer with friends seeing a big spectacle. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

I'm with Rude, although I think he's giving them more of a chance. It really runs me wrong when people go nuts over Mayer but to each their own I guess. I stick with DSO. I think hyryder is pretty sick too. Some Phil line ups peak my interest. Splintered sunlight is pretty legit. There's tons of local cover bands that tickle my musical strings more than dead and co. Love seeing Hebert at so many roads on Wednesday. He gets a crowd of like 20 to 30 people but the music is much better than dead and co in my not so humble opinion.

• Forum MVP

Hey I caught the Sam Grisman Project over the weekend and they are worth hitting up if they come to your area. Cool combo of electric and acoustic in each set doing a mix of GD, Jerry Band, and old traditionals that Jerry and David used to do…nice spread of music and the electric stuff had some juju for sure. Almost added the Sunday night Seattle show when we heard Dawg would be sitting in with them (now 77 or so) but couldn’t quite swing it.

Fun presentation of music from a bunch of 30-something rippers…check ‘em out

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.satellitedogband.com/

https://youtube.com/@satellitedog

I posted about this band a few times last year.  They are all 18/19, practicing a lot & playing anywhere they can get booked.  They are based out of North Carolina. 

They started out playing dead covers & reinterpretation as well as The Band, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Phish, Goose, etc.  Theyve stared writing their own music, some live clips posted on their website & YouTube.

Check them out! Subscribe to their YouTube if you like what you hear!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Direwolf919 said:

I posted about this band a few times last year.  They are all 18/19, practicing a lot & playing anywhere they can get booked.  They are based out of North Carolina. 

They started out playing dead covers & reinterpretation as well as The Band, Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Phish, Goose, etc.  Theyve stared writing their own music, some live clips posted on their website & YouTube.

Check them out! Subscribe to their YouTube if you like what you hear!

Gotta check these young talents!  Youthful exuberance with great potential.  Right around the corner from me/us - Cool!

• Forum MVP

I streamed Hyryder this weekend and while Friday was good, Saturday was spellbinding!  Here’s last nites show from the Mousetrap in Indy:

(1)  Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Me & My Uncle > Big River, Lazy River Road, Jack a Roe, Here Comes Sunshine, Pride of Cucamonga, I’ll Take a Melody, Music Never Stopped > Easy Answers > Music Never Stopped

(2)  Mighty High > Estimated Prophet > Eyes of the World > Corrina > Cryptical Envelopment > Other One > Cryptical Enveopment > Standing On The Moon > Hard to Handle, China Cat Sunflower> I Know You Rider > Chinatown Shuffle E:  When I Paint My Masterpiece > Around x 2

That first set coulda been a 1992 show if you took out Pride of Cucamonga and I’ll take a Melody.  Set 2 gets the Chefs kiss 💋 

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Man the last two weekends I have hit this little soon to be private club in Louisville. It’s just starting but apparently a guy who used to post “living room concerts” online with local musicians bought a place to start having these shows. No cover, BYOB, and they pass the hat with 100% of the donations going to the artists performing. 1st week I went was a bluegrass band that I basically watched grow up and become a band down at Terrapin hill farm. Last night was a local legend who played old blues and gave us a Peggy O. Dude is a music lover who tells everyone that this is a “listening room” not a concert hall. A place for music lovers to go to listen to music. Just a freakin beautiful spot for live local music with no hassles. He’s been doing this about 8 months, and I’m kinda salty that I’m just now hearing about it because so far it seems Taylor made for me. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
On 2/6/2023 at 12:36 PM, WharfRatStu said:

How about a band I DIDN'T see last night?

JRAD rescheduled their 3-day run in Atlanta this past weekend due to a band member coming down with Covid!

I am beyond sick of Covid already...

i was planning on going to those with Gr8tfulpair before my mom had surgery and then had no one to keep the little man. I’d have been real disappointed 

On 2/11/2023 at 6:56 AM, Dead duck said:

Man the last two weekends I have hit this little soon to be private club in Louisville. It’s just starting but apparently a guy who used to post “living room concerts” online with local musicians bought a place to start having these shows. No cover, BYOB, and they pass the hat with 100% of the donations going to the artists performing. 1st week I went was a bluegrass band that I basically watched grow up and become a band down at Terrapin hill farm. Last night was a local legend who played old blues and gave us a Peggy O. Dude is a music lover who tells everyone that this is a “listening room” not a concert hall. A place for music lovers to go to listen to music. Just a freakin beautiful spot for live local music with no hassles. He’s been doing this about 8 months, and I’m kinda salty that I’m just now hearing about it because so far it seems Taylor made for me. 

that sounds amazing !

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:56 AM, Dead duck said:

You have my attention 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
16 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Saw Bob Weir for the first time since 2016 last night. Excellent show! I was overjoyed at hearing Silvio again 

I was also in attendance and thoroughly enjoyed the music. The horn section adds plenty to the tunes. Haven’t heard Money for Gasoline since Ratdog days.

I find Mr. Weir a national treasure. Has any human performed live in front of more other humans than he?

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Man that was the best I’ve seen Bobby in a long long time. I really enjoyed that show. Crowd was hyped up for the palace too. Sylvio featuring tequila jam, and eyes/what’s goin on, and the Dew were my highlights along with BTW (favorite Bobby tune) in the 1st. 

• Like (+1) 1

I saw Grateful shred last night at Brooklyn bowl. I was definitely happy with what went down. Threw some some Althea, cats down under, scarlet fire, alligator!! Excellent music and  I may even go again tonight.
That being said does anyone know why DSO doesn’t come to any NYC venues anymore. Brooklyn or Manhattan?

maybe someone in the band can fill me in. I loved two nights in Manhattan and Brooklyn bowl was great too. Can’t wait till jersey next week 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Show I streamed last nite..

Hyryder @ Pierre’s, Ft Wayne, IN

(1) Cold Rain and Snow, Let it Rock, Tough Mama, On the Road Again, Samba in the Rain, Wang Dang Doodle, BIODTL, Candyman > After Midnight > Eleanor Rigby > After Midnight, Let’s Spend the Nite Together

(2) Cats Down Under Stars > Viola Lee Blues > Caution (Do not Step on the Tracks) > Viola Lee Blues > Alligator > To Lay Me Down, Victim or the Crime > Dark Star > Caution (Do not Step on the Tracks) > Dark Star > All Along the Watchtower, Masons Children, Day Job      

E:  Women R Smarter, Box of Rain > Easy Wind

Loved the 2nd set wormhole

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Two of my most favorite musicians Emmylou on Friday and Lee Owen with Born Cross Eyed on Saturday. .. I was out on a limb in Atlanta while the BCE experience was like being in the fold. It's always reassuring  see Too Much Fun on the dance floor. There was a newcomer who asked who was the new guitarist sitting in, he had seen the shows where Mr. Owen was absent. He was in full force along with everyone else in the band.  Hopefully he will get the 20 yrs of born cross eyed I've been graciously treated to starting at  Terrapin Hill to the perfect Zbar. They got decent food, an outside area, a couple of six inch levels leading down to the stage which is waist high. Hoping for good weather for the folks hitting up the next to set of DSO concerts. Touch to open Death Don't to close and a lot of trippy landscapes through out. Even though I don't have any Cincy folks going to Jubilee I'm psyched to wonder the grounds and meet up with the people I haven't met yet and hopefully run into forum folks and to jam out with Dark Star 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

I caught Brown Eyed Women at the Salvage Station in Asheville. They rocked it out. Seriously great band. Jill Phone Simmons has a fantastic voice! And how many drummers do you hear sing? This band has one. Go see them and you will thank yourself. If I didn't have such a demanding job, I'd be up in the mountains tonight to see Mikaela Davis. 

• Like (+1) 4