Hurting For Live

sgrmag2564

• Forum MVP

I’m sitting in my driveway smoking fine herb making steaks with with sous vide. That is the view from driveway. The view from the porch, bedroom, and decks are even nicer. 

I too have been preparing for a pandemic for a long time. Outside of shows I’ve pretty much been a social recluse for the last 10 years. Social distancing wasn’t a problem. 

Despite having so much to be grateful for, I just personally have a lot going on that is making this more difficult and frustrating. At times I feel overwhelmed. My mom is dying 1800 miles away. My kids can’t go to school or day care. 

Like this thread is about, I just need live Dead to soothe my soul. I will settle for local Colorado bands. I even feel like that first slow and co show is gonna be special but for me nothing does it like DSO. I need it. I crave it. It makes all the stress of the world worth living through. It doesn’t take away the pain but allows me to process it and go through it and find brighter place on other side. I can’t express just how much DSO and this community has meant to my life. I need you guys. I love you. 

9D516081-1106-413E-8CBE-12F8858CAAA9.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I agree with Mason...quoting from his post...the cure was worse than disease.

I also agree with Rude who wants paid or quoting...fuck you, I’ll do what I want.

Ironically the orange one would allow shows tomorrow and leave it up to the individual if he wants to attend or not.

Sort of like if the individual wants to pay a few bucks to a scraggly strange guy In a parking lot repeating the word “doses” and having no fear ingesting what he gets.

• Forum MVP
On 7/9/2020 at 11:15 AM, Tea said:

I was never a prolific DSO show-goer - doesn't mix really well with the arc of my family & work life.  ALTHOUGH, the high school phase is officially here so I'm hoping that the horizon will open up once this madness begins to ebb.  

With the DSO shows I did get to see, I placed a great deal of emotional capital on every note, every strange dancing gyration, and on every minute I got to spend with my friends.  My annual milestones were measured in moments with DSO and tribe, hiking/camping, and watching my kids grow up - that's about it.  I know it's a bit selfish to decry the impact that a pandemic has had on my 'entertainment', but this music and all that surrounds it is my anchor, my touchstone, and a big chunk of my light.  Family is healthy - so it's all gravy, right?  I've never been more day-to-day than I am right now - it has it's own silver lining I guess.  

This darkness got to give..

Totally get that,  my youngest of 4 is going to be a senior in high school next year. Been looking forward to the freedom of kids being out of ther house

• Forum MVP
On 7/11/2020 at 5:03 PM, 2muchfun said:

I agree with Mason...quoting from his post...the cure was worse than disease.

I also agree with Rude who wants paid or quoting...fuck you, I’ll do what I want.

Ironically the orange one would allow shows tomorrow and leave it up to the individual if he wants to attend or not.

Sort of like if the individual wants to pay a few bucks to a scraggly strange guy In a parking lot repeating the word “doses” and having no fear ingesting what he gets.

FYI the entire crowd was dancing in cincy. I think there may have been 2 bag chairs brought for the “sitting” pit area out of 200 people lol. That venue is massive and only 500 People allowed(or available for sale) there. It looked sorta full but full in a way that deadheads would space out to max their dance area, full. It was lovely. 1st time I’ve seen Hyryder with a big PA. They smoked it and the sound guy was having some fun melting some faces with the big PA. 

Hyryder is doing supposedly a 2 night stint in Indy July 24-25. The 25 isn’t announced yet but word is it’s at Garfield Park Sunken Gardens whatever that is and the 24th is outside at the mousetrap(parking lot closed off and looked like tons of space). 

we are pretty much doing Hyryder weekends now. They are solid so lucky that we have a good weekend dead band that plays so frequently within 5 hours lol. I’ve seen a bunch of dead tributes over the years and these guys are superb plus Charlie Morgan has some silky pipes and has that 80’s Jerry sound fine tuned. 

I’d be curious to see if Dino or Rob K put together a new local weekend dead band since Dso ain’t happening this year and they are both in my travel radius. 

• Forum MVP
12 hours ago, Rude said:

FYI the entire crowd was dancing in cincy. I think there may have been 2 bag chairs brought for the “sitting” pit area out of 200 people lol. That venue is massive and only 500 People allowed(or available for sale) there. It looked sorta full but full in a way that deadheads would space out to max their dance area, full. It was lovely. 1st time I’ve seen Hyryder with a big PA. They smoked it and the sound guy was having some fun melting some faces with the big PA. 

Hyryder is doing supposedly a 2 night stint in Indy July 24-25. The 25 isn’t announced yet but word is it’s at Garfield Park Sunken Gardens whatever that is and the 24th is outside at the mousetrap(parking lot closed off and looked like tons of space). 

we are pretty much doing Hyryder weekends now. They are solid so lucky that we have a good weekend dead band that plays so frequently within 5 hours lol. I’ve seen a bunch of dead tributes over the years and these guys are superb plus Charlie Morgan has some silky pipes and has that 80’s Jerry sound fine tuned. 

I’d be curious to see if Dino or Rob K put together a new local weekend dead band since Dso ain’t happening this year and they are both in my travel radius. 

Planning on joining your Hyryder adventures post my daughters nuptuials which occurs on Jerry’s bday. They certainly can ease the jonesing.

• Forum MVP

We may be able to pop in at one of these hyryder shows. Be awesome if Eaton gets one of his side projects going out here in Colorado but all these other bands are gonna be a like a chick licking your nuts but never taken on the shaft. It’s all fun and stuff but there is no explosion. Sorry too much. Just can’t wait for the next DSO. It’s better than sex. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

We may be able to pop in at one of these hyryder shows. Be awesome if Eaton gets one of his side projects going out here in Colorado but all these other bands are gonna be a like a chick licking your nuts but never taken on the shaft. It’s all fun and stuff but there is no explosion. Sorry too much. Just can’t wait for the next DSO. It’s better than sex. 

the lack of the big PA at bars is a definite issue. At riverfront live it was great but now back to a few smaller setups. At this point there ain’t nothin else for the next year. We will take smaller outdoor shows all day vs sitting at home. On the big PA, Hyryder knocked my socks off and I’m not easy to please with my dead. 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

What MC says about other bands not cutting it like DSO is what I hear when I try to get old tour friends to go to a DSO show. "It ain't the dead". So, I go alone and meet up with all you nice folks from this forum. Everyone finds there on way to joy. 

The dead is dead though. There is no option if the only option is a non existent band.  They can enjoy they vanilla life sans music then. I care about good bands that are an option to see. I’ve seen several bad dead bands in the last 2 years and I won’t be naming them, but even the gf was like something isnt right. It’s not always easy to pinpoint exactly what’s off either. Sometimes it’s just that some dead bands play too on beat. Many of the times it’s the rhythm guitar or that the band can’t get lost in a song all doing their thing and bring it back together. That’s what Dso does well——the play around the beat and all eventually come back together. Of course there’s no duplicating Jerry. There are some amazing guitarists but jerry was divine. 

• Forum MVP

I hear ya, talked a girlfriend into the ledges one of their last year's there and when new year's used to be in Indy. Also, my buddies out in Boulder enjoy DSO as much as ever. Like you said, it's what we got and I'm a long time Matson fan. All of the members nail a great show every time I've been able to get in. If the wheel starts up again, I'm touring

• Forum MVP

"I just reached a place where the willow don't bend, there's not much to be said, it's the top of the end"

hopefully this song was only written for when Bob was having a break up and not telling the future, although most of his work is a vision of the future and all times, past and present.

This next year will probably be devastating in many ways that are only beginning to become apparent. Maybe not, 

Stay healthy mentally and physically

Maybe it's only a touch of grey 

7 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

It is sad.  Tipitina‘s is a music mecca playing host to the Neville Brothers, Professor Longhair, The Meters and numerous other high profile musical acts.  The history is amazing.  A must stop for numerous bands.  I have seen countless shows at tips.  In fact, every January I take a trip for 3 nights of the Radiators.  Great times, great people and an amazing venue.

• Forum MVP
On 7/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, acududeman said:

Are most of you thinking that there will be no live (in-person) DSO shows at all in 2020?

lockn looks like only shot for Dso if Dso signs on to it. Lockn announced its safety policy to have to shows yesterday and told peeps to buy tickets. But they didn’t announce the lineup. Ain’t no way phil is showing up. That I’ll guarantee you. He’s almost 80 and he’s not popping a flight getting around others and risking it at his age. Lockn has its work cut out. I see no major jam band like panic or phish playing. Dso could get offered a Friday night headliner at this point which would usually be reserved for a core 4 related band or a monster jam band. 

lockn would have been epic this year with DSO, the Q x2, then JRAD night 4. That’s a great lineup. They are still selling the $1000 vip tix and $2500 SVIP TIX for what’s gonna probably look more like jubilee, no offense jubilee as we love you but we ain’t paying 1000 a head plus 200 per car to camp for vip or god forbid $5000 per couple in super vip. That would have to come with personal morning serenades from Eaton and daily massages from barraco. Don’t get fresh while on the massage table. He’s got those keyboard fingers that will go straight to the pain pressure points and you are done rest of the weekend. 

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, joel said:

Personal massage included with ticket package price?  Rude you have to be a drone for the Jim Rome show, or even a smack off contestan?  Very funny take. 

Thanks for the vine. 

Drone .. Clone .. what’s the difference really 

Archived