Hurting For Live

sgrmag2564

Since my first show...bunch a years...this is definitely the longest I have been without live music. First show...gd. Last show...Bobby...this one. Badass! Can’t complain...I have to boogie again with the heads. I don’t care where the next DSO show is...I’ll be there. San Diego maybe😜

https://www.setlist.fm/venue/the-fillmore-miami-beach-at-jackie-gleason-theater-miami-beach-fl-usa-2bd38042.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Anyone near cincy, there’s a Hyryder show July 11 at Riverfront live. They are partitioning the outside area to keep groups distanced. If you’ve never seen Hyryder they are top notch tribute and we have a blast every time we see them. I know a bunch of you on the board have seen them live but if you are within a half days drive of cincy this Saturday, I’d highly recommend it. 

• Forum MVP

Dude your funny. I’m 7 to 8 shows. My life has been turned upside down. I promised to stay off the thread and I get that too means the subject but wow why couldn’t the sick elderly and vulnerable stay home and us live our lives. Love and music is essential to the heart feelings. Many people are being denied their happy. Violence seems to be a escalating. At very least, the threat of large scale violence seems to be growing. Small business owners are getting desperate. Please dark star give me an outlet. I spoke out against it earlier but I don’t care the cost. I’d pay a lot to see you play. My desire to dance and express myself through the music of the dead weights out any morality I have whatsoever at this point. I need it. 

love is real

Hoping for Jubilee and outdoor stuff in the spring. We got a long way to go and unless the sack of shit in chief begins to set a good example for his mindless horde, it will continue to get worse. The band and crew has to be hurting. Northeast USA is doing well with the virus, but the logistics of having some kind of tour up here would be crazy. People would travel to go to shows. The band would would run a risk of getting sick. I miss the fun and friends, badly. Getting a good bit of stuff done around the house, though. 

• Forum MVP

Work and life are just the things that I do between Dark Star Orchestra shows. I get through that shit knowing that the band is coming around. I live for shows. Shows are a religious experience for me. It’s church. I leave a show changed. I use the music and dance to shake out all the angst that has built up inside me since the last show. I need shows on a regular basis. It cleanses my soul. The lyrics are words to live by. Without that, well, that’s a problem. 

• Forum MVP
8 hours ago, Rude said:

Anyone near cincy, there’s a Hyryder show July 11 at Riverfront live. They are partitioning the outside area to keep groups distanced. If you’ve never seen Hyryder they are top notch tribute and we have a blast every time we see them. I know a bunch of you on the board have seen them live but if you are within a half days drive of cincy this Saturday, I’d highly recommend it. 

They are playing the mousetrap in Indy the day before. The only way you could keep your distance in that place is to lock yourself in the shitter. 😆🤣

• Forum MVP

Only chance for live music is outdoors at a larger venue where people can distance. Buckeye/ Legend Valley would be ideal. Not a lot of risk outdoors with distance. Maybe they could set up residence there like bands do in Vegas. A new batch of people every Friday- Sunday night. They could even have a testing tent. 

• Forum MVP
34 minutes ago, bs69 said:

Only chance for live music is outdoors at a larger venue where people can distance. Buckeye/ Legend Valley would be ideal. Not a lot of risk outdoors with distance. Maybe they could set up residence there like bands do in Vegas. A new batch of people every Friday- Sunday night. They could even have a testing tent. 

I bet a lot of people from the first batch would keep coming back.

• Forum MVP

See the news last night? People camping out in line in their cars at eleven at night in Houston for testing, only to be told at at nine in the morning that tests are sold out. Good luck with that testing tent. You’re gonna have to get it from  the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and/or Bailey. 

• Forum MVP

I was never a prolific DSO show-goer - doesn't mix really well with the arc of my family & work life.  ALTHOUGH, the high school phase is officially here so I'm hoping that the horizon will open up once this madness begins to ebb.  

With the DSO shows I did get to see, I placed a great deal of emotional capital on every note, every strange dancing gyration, and on every minute I got to spend with my friends.  My annual milestones were measured in moments with DSO and tribe, hiking/camping, and watching my kids grow up - that's about it.  I know it's a bit selfish to decry the impact that a pandemic has had on my 'entertainment', but this music and all that surrounds it is my anchor, my touchstone, and a big chunk of my light.  Family is healthy - so it's all gravy, right?  I've never been more day-to-day than I am right now - it has it's own silver lining I guess.  

This darkness got to give..

• Forum MVP

Slow Surprises

There is a way the subtle changes come to stay, barely noticed, hardly known. One day you'll say "my situation's locked away" but by tomorrow you're all alone. Seems so sudden but it's not, it's only grown. When the seeds of long ago are left forgotten in the snow it's got a way of slow surprises all its own. It's hard to show but like a boulder rolling slowly or a rumble deep in the ground. Things whisper low, but by the time I see what's moving, they settle down.  Too late to see the way things shift around. Too late to say there's bound to be another way. It's all been said and done without a sound. This comes to me and now that I begin to see it's not dramatic ain't nothing grand. I used to be half of the whole of you and me now I'm the limit of all I am.  Seems so simple nothing much to understand. You walked out and closed the door said I don't live here anymore. Now nothing's hanging heavy in my hands.

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

...but wow why couldn’t the sick elderly and vulnerable stay home and us live our lives. Love and music is essential to the heart feelings. Many people are being denied their happy.

I gonna guess you're writing that from a purely emotional, rather than intellectual place.  Because of course this sucks, and everybody's pining for live music, live sports, or fill in the blank of whatever floats folks' boat that is being denied now. Hell, just run of the mill human contact has suffered tremendously.

But taken at face value, how would that work?  What is "sick and vulnerable" and who defines it? Does the vulnerable performer just suck up the risks in a life or death "show must go on" mentality?  What about the support crew for live events? If one opts out after determining it's not worth the risk, do both they and their replacement get paid? And as for the elderly, do we ask that they shelter 100% from children and grandchildren while those younger people "live their lives"?  Seems that denies care givers their liberties as well.

Like I said, I get the emotion of wanting this to be over or to even just power through it with some normalcy. And at 54, having declared myself neither sick, elderly nor vulnerable 🤔, I'm on the loose side (at least relative to Northern California) with a "social bubble" that's way more expanded than many would accept.  Plus I won't do stupid unscientific shit like wear a mask when passing someone 12 feet away on a fire road like many hikers and bikers do hear in Marin. That's just precaution for precaution's sake.  But the calculus of just throwing caution to the wind doesn't add up.  The heart may be hurtin', but it's still beating!  💔

• Forum MVP

The problem is indoor venues. The vast majority of spread in Arizona Texas and Florida was in bars and nightclubs. This is why we are fucked as music lovers. Being shoulder to shoulder with 2k people and likely 20-40 infected people screaming during and after songs, it’s just too fucked to have these type. Local bands can figure it out. National touring bands cannot. Dso can’t do 1 off shows somewhere for 500 people like the show we will be seeing in cincy Saturday and make any money. And states can’t let healthy 25yr olds all get sick and infect the rest. Bars are the breeding grounds. It’s all about inoculate levels. Passing someome in the grocery and inhaling a few infected aerosol particles likely won’t be enough to make most people sick. Inhaling 8 hours of infected aerosol particles on an assembly line will. From what I’ve read the chance for serious Illness depends on the amount of virus particles you take in. It makes sense that since the virus multiplieS that starting with 1 particle vs 100k would make it more likely your body could fight it off. We can’t be completely safe but packed bars are one reason that the economy isn’t getting back on track. The other glaring orange reason is our leader encouraging anti mask campaigns. 

short version:  America is fucked. 

• Forum MVP

Officially cannot actually dance in Cincinnati but be within defined area with your group.

Must buy group tix as well.

Still Hyryder is quality worth seeing.

I would still go but my daughter is getting married Aug 1 and I will save all riskier events for those associated with the event.
Then my risk tolerance will increase.....

• Forum MVP

I’ve always wondered why DSO couldn’t crack through  the glass ceiling and make it to a higher plateau of venues. Why can’t selling out Red Rocks be a regular occurrence? Maybe with this down time and changes that are sure to come, things will be a better different when things get up and running again. 

• Forum MVP

I stated my stance wasn’t rooted in morality. I’ve made it clear from the start I fundamentally disagree with what society has chosen to do, but that had nothing to do with my post. 

Intellectually supporting and siding with the British was probably the smart choice in 1775/1776. I would’ve signed the document. It’s probably smart for me to hole up in a remote location for the rest of my life. Certainly isn’t all that prudent to drive my car but I do that daily. I understand the other side of your coin. I don’t believe there is a right and wrong here. 

Ben Franklin once said something like: those willing to give up essential liberty for a little bit of temporary safety deserves neither liberty or safety. 

Really not trying to reignite this shit. Taper Ron and I had a public dispute based off of this same shit. John A I think you have a pretty kush life. Sitting back drinking wine listening to high end stereo system and eating great sounds pretty nice even in quarantine. Two of my friends had to file bankruptcy as their businesses went belly up. Some people struggling to feed their families. Your position is nice but it’s rooted in being a member of the elite. But like I said, I don’t want to get into this again. 

I know I stand in the minority if not alone on this issue around here. 

23 hours ago, Mason's Child said:

Please dark star give me an outlet. I spoke out against it earlier but I don’t care the cost. I’d pay a lot to see you play. My desire to dance and express myself through the music of the dead weights out any morality I have whatsoever at this point. I need it. 

love is real

I second that Mason. I wonder if  100-150 people feel the same? I would commit to a pair of tickets $500 each for a 2 night weekend . So I post this question...

Is this feasible for the band and die hard heads?

The sky was yellow and the sun was blue.  Nope...the sun is yellow and the sky is blue.  

Everyone’s opinion, everyone situation, everyone’s differences go away when I’m at a live show, and it feels like there’s a single flow or unification of hearts and souls. I guess some people get that through Church or Family but for me it’s a live DSO show.  

I can’t  imagine the huge hole in MC’s life but I’m 100% sure it’s much larger than mine, and I know mine is quite significant. 

To take a quote from Churchill,  “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else”  .  I hope we are getting close to trying everything else because right now we seem very divided and I need to get back to seeing everyone dance... count me in for the DSO get together SHOW !! i will be the one with the mask 😷 

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, cnjBrian said:

I second that Mason. I wonder if  100-150 people feel the same? I would commit to a pair of tickets $500 each for a 2 night weekend . So I post this question...

Is this feasible for the band and die hard heads?

$750 for three nights...whatever it takes

• Forum MVP

Mason, trust me, I'm fully aware there are 2 sides to this coin.  On the face of it, a pandemic should seemingly be the big equalizer as it doesn't care of you're rich or poor, democrat or republican. I don't think most people would have predicted that a pandemic would actually (a) exacerbate racial and economic inequalities, and (b) further accent political divisions. Yet that's exactly what it's done. And I concede that at some point, and I hate to quote Trump, "the cure is worse than the disease".  Where that line gets drawn is probably an unwinnable debate.  But we're ultimately fucked in that we have zero leadership and coordination on the federal level.  Just mixed messages and inane drivel.  At the end of the day we're just fighting to keep the health care system afloat and not watch people die because there aren't any ICU beds for them.

On a personal level, I'll sheepishly admit - without knowing it, I've been in training for a pandemic for decades.  😎 Staying in great shape, living on the doorstep of incredible open space for hiking and biking, knowing how to cook, being economically privileged, and having a kick ass home entertainment system at the ready have paid massive dividends.  But that's neither here nor there in the greater debate about whether we have some divine right to bars, gyms, churches, live music, sports, etc.  Local politicians have unenviable decisions to make here. I don't feel bad for politicians too often, but I can muster some empathy now.

What I'm sure we can all agree upon is let's get this shit show that is 2020 over ASAP!

• Forum MVP

The cure can’t be worse than the disease. Unfortunately the orange turd had no cure or direction. He had daily contrasting messages.. He had denial then division. It’s why every other 1st world country is getting back to normal and we aren’t. Hope many of you still have your businesses because mines dead for the next year if it survives at all. Mandates keep me from being able to work. At the same time they are forcing me to not be able to have mass gatherings in 2020, they are attempting to cut off the federal unemployment which compensate my forced closure while they propose throwing trillions to political contributors. If you force me to not work by law, then pay me or fuck you, I’ll do what I want. It’s like imminent domain. You take my property then you compensate me. If you want no mass gatherings for public health then you pay me to close or I’ll do as I please. 

• Forum MVP

I feel your pain, Rude. Makes you wonder if  even an intelligent leader could clean up this cluster fuck. Could this be the beginning of the collapse of our civilization as we know it? History has proven that we’ll break off into smaller groups, start anew. Curious what others see when looking at the bigger picture. 

Archived