DeadCo Summer 2022

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

I'd love to hear reports. Dead and co bores me so much we skipped on Boulder. I couldn't come to grips with spending 300 plus a night. DSO Jamaica and DSO Europe are the priorities. I'm just not interested in this band. Bring back Furthur or maybe put together a new band. 

What did shock me is abear is doing Wednesday nights at so many roads. We went the Wednesday before dead and co weekend. Brought Delilah. Delilah crushed it on the dance floor. There couldn't have been 25 people there. I have a contact that has played with abear. I'm hopeful to get Scotty and abear to link up. They don't have a Bobby guy.

What did shock me is abear is doing Wednesday nights at so many roads. We went the Wednesday before dead and co weekend. Brought Delilah. Delilah crushed it on the dance floor. There couldn't have been 25 people there. I have a contact that has played with abear. I'm hopeful to get Scotty and abear to link up. They don't have a Bobby guy

• Forum MVP

My buddy  in Denver sent me a video of the Boulder IKYR and scanned folsom field with his camera. It was packed to the gill. I watched the Fantasy on YouTube and it was a bummer.

Decided not to spend the $70.00 plus fees to sit on the lawn and watch a video screen and pay $15.00 for a beer that gets warm to quickly. 

Sorry to hear of the local dead band not getting much of a turnout while this Dead and Co racket is packing em in.

We get substantial attendance for Hyryder shows.

In the past years I've done Dead and Co, I've ended up leaving after space.  Glad I didn't go last night. There was a terrible thunderstorm that came through. the list looks so so.

• Forum MVP

We got a multiple options for local dead. And jgb did do a Thursday night pre party for dead and co. But abear used to play with jgb is playing every Wednesday night at so many roads all summer. I'd love to see the attendance grow but the lack of people did make it possible to bring Delilah inside and let her loose.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Anna talked with someone at work today who said he went to the show last night and one of the drummers was replaced at set break. This yayhoo didn't know the name of which one. I think it was Billy as another friend sent me a photo of Micky on the space machine he grinds at the end of drums.  I hope everyone is alright 

• Forum MVP
6 hours ago, Tom Banjo said:

I'd love to hear reports. Dead and co bores me so much we skipped on Boulder. I couldn't come to grips with spending 300 plus a night. DSO Jamaica and DSO Europe are the priorities. I'm just not interested in this band. Bring back Furthur or maybe put together a new band. 

What did shock me is abear is doing Wednesday nights at so many roads. We went the Wednesday before dead and co weekend. Brought Delilah. Delilah crushed it on the dance floor. There couldn't have been 25 people there. I have a contact that has played with abear. I'm hopeful to get Scotty and abear to link up. They don't have a Bobby guy.

What did shock me is abear is doing Wednesday nights at so many roads. We went the Wednesday before dead and co weekend. Brought Delilah. Delilah crushed it on the dance floor. There couldn't have been 25 people there. I have a contact that has played with abear. I'm hopeful to get Scotty and abear to link up. They don't have a Bobby guy

Abear tears it up.  He comes to AZ to join Xtra Ticket from time to time, which gives him a Bobby counterpart.

20 minutes ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Anna talked with someone at work today who said he went to the show last night and one of the drummers was replaced at set break. This yayhoo didn't know the name of which one. I think it was Billy as another friend sent me a photo of Micky on the space machine he grinds at the end of drums.  I hope everyone is alright 

Billy says he tore a muscle in his abdomen last week and is just sore but will be back shortly and is fine.

Jay Lane jumped in for him at setbreak.

Dead and co is getting worse from some of the videos I’ve seen this year.  I’ve gone to a couple shows every year and  I think I’m throwing in the towel. And there’s a show on my bday at citi field. I love Bobby and how he’s carried the torch. Went to alot of furthur and some rat dog, just saw wolf bros at radio city but for some reason these dead and co shows don’t get there. I don’t wanna feel like I’m not enjoying live dead music, can’t get into it or can’t dance. And that’s what it’s come to. The ticket prices are robbery and Besides the pace, Mayers voice is to bluesy/pop for this shit. I heard him do sugaree this past week and it was tough. The dude can def play the guitar parts, there’s no doubt about that.  Last year at Hershey park he took Tennessee Jed on that end of the song jam to some crazy place and I loved it. He’s had some moments of nailing the guitar parts.  I think it’s been 7 years now of overpaid tickets for decent ( at best) live dead , it’s not worth it. 
this band is cool for new super young heads as well as  old heads who still wanna see the boys on stage, the lots cans be a lot of  fun too. This is just my opinion because these shows are all packed so people are diggin them. For people who love dso they know that’s where it’s at. But just musically dead and co is nowhere near DSO, at all.
Looking forward to Saturday in jersey next week in Hampton beach and then next year Jamaica here i come

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
9 hours ago, Vic81 said:

Dead and co is getting worse from some of the videos I’ve seen this year.  I’ve gone to a couple shows every year and  I think I’m throwing in the towel. And there’s a show on my bday at citi field. I love Bobby and how he’s carried the torch. Went to alot of furthur and some rat dog, just saw wolf bros at radio city but for some reason these dead and co shows don’t get there. I don’t wanna feel like I’m not enjoying live dead music, can’t get into it or can’t dance. And that’s what it’s come to. The ticket prices are robbery and Besides the pace, Mayers voice is to bluesy/pop for this shit. I heard him do sugaree this past week and it was tough. The dude can def play the guitar parts, there’s no doubt about that.  Last year at Hershey park he took Tennessee Jed on that end of the song jam to some crazy place and I loved it. He’s had some moments of nailing the guitar parts.  I think it’s been 7 years now of overpaid tickets for decent ( at best) live dead , it’s not worth it. 
this band is cool for new super young heads as well as  old heads who still wanna see the boys on stage, the lots cans be a lot of  fun too. This is just my opinion because these shows are all packed so people are diggin them. For people who love dso they know that’s where it’s at. But just musically dead and co is nowhere near DSO, at all.
Looking forward to Saturday in jersey next week in Hampton beach and then next year Jamaica here i come

Completely agree with every word of this, Vic.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Meili did a St. Louis up and back. 

it’s sad MC that you skipped Boulder. We had an amazing time at Folsom field. GA tix in the back was clutch. Back end zone 400 feet away and I was melted from the light show. It’s local and you can get in for $20. Sad bro. 

Shoreline is too for for John A. He missed the dso Petaluma show b/c it’s like a 30 minute drive. 😂

19 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

My buddy  in Denver sent me a video of the Boulder IKYR and scanned folsom field with his camera. It was packed to the gill. I watched the Fantasy on YouTube and it was a bummer.

Decided not to spend the $70.00 plus fees to sit on the lawn and watch a video screen and pay $15.00 for a beer that gets warm to quickly. 

Sorry to hear of the local dead band not getting much of a turnout while this Dead and Co racket is packing em in.

We get substantial attendance for Hyryder shows.

In the past years I've done Dead and Co, I've ended up leaving after space.  Glad I didn't go last night. There was a terrible thunderstorm that came through. the list looks so so.

Bro there are hundreds of $20 tix on CashorTrade. Last second there were pavilions for $40. 

• Forum MVP

The cost isn't just tickets. It a 2 and half hour round trip drive. Gas is expensive. I don't being on the stands at a show. I would need a floor ticket. Then there is the libations. They just don't do it for me. I'd rather do abear on Wednesday nights. Think we will to next week again.

• Forum MVP

Rude is sadly correct about Petaluma but he forgot to add the traffic issues. 😎 

And yes, Shoreline is WAY too far, although the lone Dead Co show I saw was there. Kinda enjoyed it, if only for the spectacle. They did bust out Sing Me Back Home this year at Shoreline.

My musical commute is typically no farther than the the corner of my living room to turn on the amplifiers. 😆

Word is that Mayer will be calling it quits after this tour. Whether the core 3 replace him and continue, or not, is up to them. Vicious unfounded gossip, or "you heard it here first"?  We shall see...

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, John A said:

Rude is sadly correct about Petaluma but he forgot to add the traffic issues. 😎 

And yes, Shoreline is WAY too far, although the lone Dead Co show I saw was there. Kinda enjoyed it, if only for the spectacle. They did bust out Sing Me Back Home this year at Shoreline.

My musical commute is typically no farther than the the corner of my living room to turn on the amplifiers. 😆

Word is that Mayer will be calling it quits after this tour. Whether the core 3 replace him and continue, or not, is up to them. Vicious unfounded gossip, or "you heard it here first"?  We shall see...

it’s not mayer, it’s Bobby that’s the problem with that ludicrous tempo. Meili sent me a US blues from St. Louis and it was so slow I don’t even know what genre it would be considered. It’s not rock. It could be country? 

we saw Phil and friends. If he did arena tours I’m on board. He plays traditional dead tempo not this nonsense style

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, Rude said:

it’s not mayer, it’s Bobby that’s the problem with that ludicrous tempo. Meili sent me a US blues from St. Louis and it was so slow I don’t even know what genre it would be considered. It’s not rock. It could be country? 

we saw Phil and friends. If he did arena tours I’m on board. He plays traditional dead tempo not this nonsense style

After Jerry passed and until seriously on board with DSO circa early 2000’s

I totally gravitated towards Phil vs Bobby. Dozens of “and friends” shows and like 3 Ratdogs.

No Dead and Co for me this year. I was one of the 9999 that didn’t come for the show anyway. Only the Shakedown.

Edited by 2muchfun
Egregious error in original. Meant Dead and Co out this year.
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
15 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

After Jerry passed and until seriously on board with DSO circa early 2000’s

I totally gravitated towards Phil vs Bobby. Dozens of “and friends” shows and like 3 Ratdogs.

No Dead and Co for me this year. I was one of the 9999 that didn’t come for the show anyway. Only the Shakedown.

lol I saw that “egregious error” and was like huh?

• Forum MVP
5 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Haven’t seen Dead & Co since 2016. I also struggle with the slow tempos and high prices, and the stale set lists.

it blows my mind how hyped it is. 

the setlists aren’t stale. The way they play it is. They go pretty deep in the catalog. They just did an eleven>Stephen I think to open a show 

42 minutes ago, Rude said:

the setlists aren’t stale. The way they play it is. They go pretty deep in the catalog. They just did an eleven>Stephen I think to open a show 

Exactly Rude. Set lists are actually good on paper when I look at them. It’s how they play it. 

Actually they are pretty stale both in playing but also what they are playing. I saw both Ratdog and Phil for years, both solo and together, and compare the setlists. Dead and co play far less songs altogether with far less transitions and far less novelty. They’ve got less to work with and you are gonna get the hits a lot more often

• Forum MVP

Again if you look at songs played, it is deep. They have played 140 songs at least 2x Of course transitions are extremely basic with generally 1 band member performing the transition then everyone joining in. It’s some very basic stuff. You never see the whole band do an amazing transition. I just don’t think everyone’s on the same page. It’s so slow that it’s probably harder to play than fast tempo. I’ve also seen them get lost in a 5 minute noodle with no point to it. It’s like playing just to play notes but lacking meaning. 

I went to both Wrigley shows and I hate to admit it but I had a great time. There’s def a Disneyland/Football game vibe (Chicago show has something to do with it, def different at Folsom).

First night opener Women Are Smarter was pretty powerful with Roe/Wade decision. Could feel the angry energy in the stadium and in Bobby’s voice. He also changed lyrics to Throwin later about the Supreme Court. Eyes > Bertha was kinda sweet n’ slow like ‘74. Dark Star was just weird which I guess is a good thing. BEW is not my favorite but they kinda ripped it in the middle, esp Jeff.  Drums/Space was great esp in a stadium setting. Mickey is Mickey and that’s doesn’t change. I think they have a new sound system which is pretty crisp. Miles Davis out of space was a nice touch. Cumberland. Talk about tempo. It was fast and good. The 10 minutes wore me out. NFA with no encore (curfew). Bob just said “Mañana” and walked off. 

Second night Scarlet opener was as slow as molasses. But was interesting to hear Scarlet Fire stand alones. Very good bluesy Speedway. Mayer does best on bluesy rockers. Trippy ones like Slipknot or Fire, not so much. Casey Jones 2nd set opener. Don’t know what kinda coke they’re taking but sounded more like a heroin dirge. I like a rippin Casey unless it’s a really groovy version. This was neither. Average Franklins. Always get emotional hearing Bobby sing Days. Idk. Esp in Chicago. OMSN. Good Lord. Haven’t heard Bob belt out a scream at the end like that in ages. Brokedown. Mayer should not be singing it. 

Overall it’s a good time. Even with the lame crowd, there’s something about a stadium show that makes it fun. Hearing 30,000 people sing NFA as the band walks off is pretty neat.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, Rude said:

It’s like playing just to play notes but lacking meaning. 

Yup. That’s what Garcia said about players like Eddie Van Halen. Like Mayer, they’re good guitarists but have nothing to say. The shows didn’t take me anywhere. There was no journey. But it was fun. That’s it. 

Edited by Dharmada
  • Like (+1) 3