College Football 2015

bs69

• Forum MVP

I think 16 team playoff devalues the regular season. Stanford and Notre Dame both had good season and I would love an 8 team playoff where the winner of their game was probably going to make the playoffs but I don't want a regular season where both teams know they already making the playoffs. Iowa Michigan st wouldnt have same value. Ohio st vs Michigan st. Alabama vs florida. 16 teams is way too much. It crushes the value of the regular season.

Yep....16 will never happen.......too many games in too little time.

8 teams??  Now that would be perfect........3 weekends of fun in December......what's not to love??

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Fun stat. 9-3 Wisconsin didn't beat a team with a winning record or even a .500 record all year. No wonder they were ranked most of the season. That's why the polls are BS and computers tell the real story. They don't compare apples to oranges. Vegas odds are the best determinate of winners with espns FPI a couple points behind. When there is money on the line you get a much more accurate predictor. If those AP poll people want to put their money where there votes are and put say northwestern over UCLA or USC in a straight up bet I'll take their money all day.

• Forum MVP

I wouldn't want to see a 4 loss USC get in as a conference champ. I still think 4 is the correct number. Although with 8 the first round would have to be home games for the higher seeds and I must say it would be nice to have some of the southern teams have to come up north in December.

Alabama did have a difficult schedule this year with their cross over games being as difficult as they could get, but I am not sure it is that much more difficult than Oklahoma's. Whatever happens, I am with you in that I don't want to see Alabama and Oklahoma play until the title game if they make it. Unless, of course, the Buckeyes happen to sneak in.

• Forum MVP

If Clemson loses Ohio state will play Bama 1st game. I hope Clemson wins and Iowa wins and Iowa gets 3rd so we can see an Alabama beat down. Let Iowa see what it's like to play a top team. Michigan state is improving but still no defense. Ohio state would likely beat Iowa by 30 right now b/c they have the 2nd best defense behind Alabamas.

Oh and I didn't realize that northwestern is ranked 12th now LMAO. That's insane. Ole miss would drool to play them. The poll formula is so ridiculous. If you win you move up but only jump the losers above. Ole miss is playing lights out right now. Northwestern is a dog. They luckily played many very bad teams. Their schedule wasn't as bad as 25tg ranked Wisconsin who beat no team with a better than 5-7 record. How are you ranked with that??? Seriously. Tennessee is 8-4 and lost to okl, Bama, Florida and maybe Arkansas by a combined 17 points. They are 12th in the computers and northwestern is in the 50's. But then again polls reward bad schedules. Unfortunately for Ohio state who is actually good and starting to show it, their conference weakness doomed them to being outside looking in. You are allowed close games vs good teams but not bad ones and the bad start to the year with cardale who really thinks he's gonna be a pro QB killed them. If Ohio state was undisputed number 1 all year that loss may not have hurt them.

I'm also going to say I'm shocked Bama is 1 win away from a playoff berth. I predicted early in the year that their schedule was too hard to even be a 1 loss team. At 1 time they had 9 ranked teams scheduled until Bama knocked many out of the rankings. I mean honestly if you are 22nd and you lose to Bama should you drop out??? You can still be the 22nd best team and lose to the top team. Bama will finish playing 12 teams with a winning record and Bama will be 9-1 vs bowl teams if they win. 9-1 vs teams who will be going to a good bowl(auburn may be the only exception on the good bowl). Compare that to Wisconsin who will be 0-3 vs bowl teams lol.

• Forum MVP

Sure, they are still alive. I think they should hope for a Stanford loss. If both Stanford and Alabama lost, they would be in for sure with a win.

Crazy to think about now, but if Arkansas had not pulled off that crazy overtime play to beat Ole Miss, Alabama would be on the sideline this weekend.

• Forum MVP

Any scenario where UNC gets in with a win over the Tigers?

I don't see how. They had a horrible schedule with a really bad loss. Unfortunately if Clemson loses Ohio state will likely get in with an even worse schedule. Ohio state is a top 4 team but they played uninspired early vs horrible teams and only played 2 top 50 teams all year and was 1-1 vs them. Bad schedules are definitely rewarded in this playoff system. in the final ESPN FPI rating which is based on the vegas system, 8 SEC teams would be favored over Iowa but only Bama would be favored over Ohio state. The playoff is too much like the AP poll where a team like Wisconsin who beat 0 teams with a winning or even .500 record gets ranked and Tennessee who lost to 3 top 10 teams and Arkansas by 17 points total isn't ranked with an 8-4 record.

Also did you see that teams with 5-7 records get a bowl game this year. Wtf. Too many shit bowls now and not enough decent teams.

• Forum MVP

Way too many bowl games, there should be no more than 20 max.

I know Tennessee lost to good teams, but the only decent team they beat was Georgia. Wisconsin's only losses are Alabama, northwestern and Iowa. All good teams.

• Forum MVP

But Wisconsin beat No one. They played 9 teams with losing records. Northwestern isn't good but they couldn't pull that one out being 13 point favs.

Tennessee lost to Bama by 5 and Oklahoma in OT. They lost to Florida by 1 before floridas QB was suspended. They were leading all those in the 4th quarter. Wisconsin even played Bama before they got their defense figured out. But then again Tennessee is back to top 10 recruiting classes and they should be a powerhouse next year. Wisconsin recruits like Kentucky.

• Forum MVP

But does more with their recruits. What do you think about Towles transferring?

I get what you are saying about Tennessee, I think they are going to get better and hope they do. Butch Jones is a good guy and I wish him well. He was at my alma mater (Cincinnati) before going to Tennessee. By the way how about UC as a cradle of coaches? Dantonio, Brian Kelly and then Jones. Not sure what they were thinking hiring Tuberville, but I digress. The point I wanted to make about Tennessee is their wins are Bowling green, Western Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Texas, Missouri and Vanderbilt. Not exactly murderers row.

• Forum MVP

I just saw a USA today article that the BCS formula would have the following top 4

Bama

Clemson

Oklahoma

Ohio state

Unfortunately for Ohio state there are people involved with the playoff committee.

• Forum MVP

I'm curious how Bama losing Kirby smart to Georgia will affect their defensive recruiting. Bama gets consistently the top defenders in the nation b/c Kirby can get the most out of that talent. Losing him is huge for Alabama. He was the highest paid assistant in college making more than half the coaches is many big 5 conferences, but that Georgia job is a top 5 job in the country and he played there. Wonder if Bama will lose any recruits to Georgia. I mean if Kirby was the reason I'm going to Bama then I likely switch schools.

• Forum MVP

Sorry folks, I just don't see anyone beating Alabama.

Oklahoma is extremely dangerous. I hope mich state or Iowa jumps them to number 3. If not the 2 best will play each other game 1.

Oklahoma is the only team that may be favored over Bama and now Bama lost their defensive coordinator to Georgia.

• Forum MVP

I'm rooting squarely against Bama.  I grew up a fan of the fictional character Rocky and I will root for the underdog.  The same thing was being said last year and then Ohio St with a 3rd string QB took them out.  I will have 3 horses in this race and one of them will outpace the hype horse Alabama.  

• Forum MVP

Bama can definitely be beat, but it will take a team that can throw the ball downfield. That's how Ohio state got it done last year, have to have that threat. A lot of the teams that are left could be a difficult matchup for them, except Florida of course. I think Stanford would give them the most problems. Whoever they play, starting with Florida, is going to stack the box and make Coker beat them. I am not sure if he can do it multiple games.

I think the players are going for Saban and Alabama, not Smart. It's going to be tough for him to jump from coordinator to head coach at a major school like that. I think it is better to get some experience first at a group of five school.

• Forum MVP

That would be very bad, would definitely listen to Finebaum's show on Monday. The way the SEC fans stick together and cheer for the Conference as much as their own schools, I bet there are a number of Florida fans who would not mind losing since they have no chance at the playoffs and don't want to get embarrassed in the Sugar Bowl anyway.

• Forum MVP

That would be very bad, would definitely listen to Finebaum's show on Monday. The way the SEC fans stick together and cheer for the Conference as much as their own schools, I bet there are a number of Florida fans who would not mind losing since they have no chance at the playoffs and don't want to get embarrassed in the Sugar Bowl anyway.

I doubt a Florida fan would root for Bama. There's nothing more a Florida fan would want than to ruin Bamas playoff hope. Without Will Grier Florida has been horrible. With him they looked solid.

And MC that was my point. UK basketball was not all hype. They were a great team but they lost. Bama is not all hype they have an insanely dominant defense but they can be beat. if Clemson stays number 1 and Iowa 4 then Clemson will be the favorite to win it all since they will have the easiest game 1. Oklahoma and Bama will be a toss up likely but the winner of that will be a fav vs Clemson, but they have a tougher road to get to the final.

• Forum MVP

Alabamas NFL D completely dominated. Through 55 minutes they allowed 85 total yards with -2 rushing yards. The score makes it look closer than it really was. 29-15 doesn't do it justice. Floridas D played so so well but Bama still put up 400+ yards. A punt return TD and a Hail Mary bomb with 4 minutes left was all Florida had all day. Fortunately for the rest of the playoff teams, They have 25 days to get ready. They are predicting 4-5 Bama defenders to go 1st round in the draft. Get that much talent working together and it's going to be hard to beat them. Their only loss was the game where they beat themselves with 5 turnovers. I so want a Bama/Iowa or Bama/Michigan state matchup!!!!! I don't want Oklahoma. They are the team that scares me besides Bama. Unfortunately I think Bama will jump Clemson and Iowa/mich St winner will jump to 3rd. Michigan state would have a shot vs Bama but no way with Iowa.

Archived