What books are you reading ?

changeling

I did a search and couldn't find a reading/book topic, so I thought of startin g one myself:

Simple......just post the book/s you are currently reading and if you like, comment it/them....

I'm cuSupernature by Lyall Watsonrrently reading ....for the umpteenth time.......Supernature by Lyall Watson; the first time was in high school and I couldn't grasp the real meaning of its content..

• Forum MVP

A Tree Grows in  Brooklyn by Betty Smith,  although the Elia Kazaan movie is by far the best delivery of this story. I identify with the father in the story because he was all about making life grand for everyone,  but it was all pipe dreams,  kinda like the Run for The Roses line of " they got ideas,  but their cash is all spent". He made people laugh, sing, dance and enjoy life, but he couldn't make any real money at it. It's a  gripping story of life in NYC when times were thin. You won't find  the movie because it never got transferred to digital. I only have a VHS tape of it. TCM plays it from time to time. Lots of lost acetate,  damn shame that we're losing these films

• Forum MVP

7 hours ago, changeling said:

The novelization of the epic movie starring Robin Williams (R.I.P.:(:()......based on the movie directed by Peter Weir.....it must be because I teach ESOL English in E.U. language schools, but this is MY all-time fav novel and movie by far:):)

Em*bedded-in-books* (India)'s review of Dead Poets Society

That movie was filmed in Middletown, Delaware., Saint Andrews school on Noxontown pond, outside of town. I used to go fishing there about forty years ago. You could rent a rowboat for three dollars a day from some little old lady who lived there. Other scenes were filmed at the Everett theatre in town. My cousin was an extra in that movie. Great movie. 

• Forum MVP

"TCM plays it from time to time. Lots of lost acetate,  damn shame that we're losing these films "

TCM is my vision quest channel. Virtually every night these days. God bless them for helping restore what can be salvaged, going back to early silents. The tragic 1937 fire that broke out in the 20th Century-Fox film storage in New Jersey has to rank as one of the greatest cultural losses in the last century. The old nitrate was like flash paper. Thank God some reels surface from time to time so there isn't a complete 30 year void in our cinematic inheritance.

How else would we know about the early work of this angel? And she is one among many.

See the source image

5 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

That movie was filmed in Middletown, Delaware., Saint Andrews school on Noxontown pond, outside of town. I used to go fishing there about forty years ago. You could rent a rowboat for three dollars a day from some little old lady who lived there. Other scenes were filmed at the Everett theatre in town. My cousin was an extra in that movie. Great movie. 

That's real cool, man😍😎

4 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Deadbase.

You mean Deadbase 50 ?!

• Forum MVP

Welcome to the camp Changeling.  It's encouraging to have you. Hope you enjoy participating. It's a great place to keep on exploring past, present and future thanks to everyone here and Dark Star Orchestra,  especially Taper Ron who keeps the door open and the lights on. You've brought some good material already. I just wanted to extend an open hand.

3 hours ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Welcome to the camp Changeling.  It's encouraging to have you. Hope you enjoy participating. It's a great place to keep on exploring past, present and future thanks to everyone here and Dark Star Orchestra,  especially Taper Ron who keeps the door open and the lights on. You've brought some good material already. I just wanted to extend an open hand.

Thank you very much.....I appreciate being here with fellow DSO lovers, deadheads, Jerry Garcia and Grateful Dead heads and the lot :):). I dig discussing and exchanging ideas and info on music forums and boards.

ROCK ON !!!

• Forum MVP
On 9/23/2020 at 11:31 AM, Dancin' Fool said:

Space-James A. Michener

Received as a HS graduation book prize. Found it when moving last month. I know, late to the party! 😛

Great book,  being a history buff I've read all the Micheners. Currently reading London by Edward Rutherford

18 minutes ago, Hardpan said:

Just finished the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, trip seven or so thru the tale, grand epic fantasy material, my favorite of anything I’ve read. Gotta start up something else soon. 

It's been a while since I've read this series, but I've read it twice. I guess the second time would have been when the 8th book came out that was actually in the middle somewhere. I would also call this one of my favorite reads of all time.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP
On 11/9/2020 at 8:06 PM, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Drugstore  Cowboy by James Fogle, exceptional film directed by Gus Van Zant. 

It’s where we learned to never throw our hat on a bed. What a great fantasy movie. 

• Forum MVP

Not sure if other parents do this but I make it a point to read whatever books are assigned to my kids to read going through high school if I haven't read them before. This currently has me reading Rebecca,  not something I would normally grab on my own but not bad either. Did some checking and found that Hitchcock made a movie so I'll now have to watch that after. Laurence Olivier as Max DeWinter, I'm in

Archived