2024 Dark Star Jubilee

Tea

• Forum MVP

They sound like a jazzfest funk band that has a DJ sampling as well. Interesting groove but I’m very partial to jazz funk and the New Orleans sound. Wish I could take up residency every year for 2 weeks starting the last week of April. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got any guesses as to who the other 6 artists might be? Oteil and Friends would be really cool, but I don't know how much more they have left in their budget for big acts. The Grateful Guitars Foundation is a pretty amazing addition, I can't wait to see Jeff rock Alligator, fingers crossed for that acoustic set with Jerry's Martin!

Edited by 19deadhead65
  • Forum MVP

The full Dark Star Jubilee lineup is here 🌹!

Six new bands added complete the 2024 Jubilee lineup including Keller Williams Grateful Gospel feat. John Kadlecik, Doom Flamingo, Sam Grisman Project & more. 

Early Bird Tickets are on sale now through Monday, December 11 at 11:59 pm ET! Buy now and save $100 off GA gate price and $115 off VIP gate price.

https://darkstarjubilee.com/tickets/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It may sound crazy, but for a moment I was on the fence for the first time in Jubilee history. 

I was thinking about the prices of VIP and then I thought about getting a cabin in the Adirondacks that same weekend for fishing and hiking for about the same cost. I was thinking how I’ve seen too many ‘76-78 shows from DSO and how it would probably rain. 

but then I realized I don’t get to see DSO enough. That when they play really well it never matters what the set list is, and they always play very well at at the Jubilee. I realized there are folks I only see at the Jubilee, and by May, my professional life is so busy I need to get away badly and listen to music.

so I bought Gen admission tickets for the first time in years, and I’m excited to be returning. I’ve not missed a Jubilee yet, and I won’t this year  either. See you in May. 

Hoping for weird set lists 🤠

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
8 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

It may sound crazy, but for a moment I was on the fence for the first time in Jubilee history. 

I was thinking about the prices of VIP and then I thought about getting a cabin in the Adirondacks that same weekend for fishing and hiking for about the same cost. I was thinking how I’ve seen too many ‘76-78 shows from DSO and how it would probably rain. 

but then I realized I don’t get to see DSO enough. That when they play really well it never matters what the set list is, and they always play very well at at the Jubilee. I realized there are folks I only see at the Jubilee, and by May, my professional life is so busy I need to get away badly and listen to music.

so I bought Gen admission tickets for the first time in years, and I’m excited to be returning. I’ve not missed a Jubilee yet, and I won’t this year  either. See you in May. 

Hoping for weird set lists 🤠

the VIP costs rose dramatically. They will test the limits of supply and demand. Will be interesting to see if price impacts attendance. Of course DSO doesn’t set the ticket price and the promoter wants to max his profits, but there’s a price point to max and this may go above that and reduce demand too much. If nothing else, next years can’t go higher or casual fans will say no thanks and casual fans buy most of the tickets at shows. 

Agreed. I totally want the band to have revenue and the event to succeed, and Jubilee is the only festival I’ve been too where most years the VIP has more people than the general admission, so it makes sense they raised those prices.

ill be there in May, looking foreword to some good music and that long trek pack in my camping gear in GA

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Agreed. I totally want the band to have revenue and the event to succeed, and Jubilee is the only festival I’ve been too where most years the VIP has more people than the general admission, so it makes sense they raised those prices.

ill be there in May, looking foreword to some good music and that long trek pack in my camping gear in GA

if I was solo, I’d have my backpacking tent with my gear in my backpack and go minimalistic. I do like having my car right next to me though. It’s a great safe for valuables plus if it pours you just hop in with a group of peeps and jam some tunes or warm up or get some quick AC during set break. Last year we were absurd. Rented a Yukon Denali b/c we had so much gear for the 2 of us it wouldn’t fit in our vehicles. It’s gotten ridiculous. We had bins of shit we never opened. It was how you’d pack for a zombie apocalypse minus the weapons and welding equipment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, GratefulAlex84 said:

I'll be attending for the first time in 2024, I've got VIP tickets. Any tips on the best time to arrive to have any shot at a shaded camping spot in the VIP woods?

Better be in the car line by 9:30am. We always spend Thur night in buckeye lake and just mosey over in the early am. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP
On 12/12/2023 at 3:26 PM, Rude said:

the VIP costs rose dramatically. They will test the limits of supply and demand. Will be interesting to see if price impacts attendance. Of course DSO doesn’t set the ticket price and the promoter wants to max his profits, but there’s a price point to max and this may go above that and reduce demand too much. If nothing else, next years can’t go higher or casual fans will say no thanks and casual fans buy most of the tickets at shows. 

Really wanted to go this year and even had my wife (non deadhead) talked into going until we added up the cost. I wonder if all the separate costs for ticket,  camping,  parking etc. Will just lead people to getting tickets,  staying at a nearby hotel and getting an Uber back and forth each day. Kind of kills the communal aspect. Damn I miss the days at the Ledges

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, bs69 said:

Really wanted to go this year and even had my wife (non deadhead) talked into going until we added up the cost. I wonder if all the separate costs for ticket,  camping,  parking etc. Will just lead people to getting tickets,  staying at a nearby hotel and getting an Uber back and forth each day. Kind of kills the communal aspect. Damn I miss the days at the Ledges

I’m just bitching about the price hike. It’s still worth it for what you get but it used to be the best bargain there was. What was 1st year? Like $99 then $119 and $139 then VIP was created but don’t think many did it early on. There was no vip 1st year and even 2nd year I don’t think. We were GA for a while even after VIP came about and one year we borrowed a buddy’s wristband to take a shower but t showers didn’t exist 1st couple years at all. Eventually the pack in and out was for the birds and cat camping in the venue was the way. My mom asked if she could get us jubilee tix for Christmas. We were like hell yeah. Nice $850 present. If it hits 4 figures ever we are going GA and ultralight. If I had to actually pay the bill I’d prob go GA this year but I’m camping all 3 days. Screw going into society. Transition from freedom to not freedom and back. Pass. 3 day escape with the only rule being treat others kindly is why I’ll never hotel it off grounds. Soon they will offer glamping like they do at other fests. Watch. 

On 12/15/2023 at 3:51 PM, gr8fulpair said:

Better be in the car line by 9:30am. We always spend Thur night in buckeye lake and just mosey over in the early am. 

oh shit the ghost of jubilees past shows up. We’ve migrated to hotels ever since the KOA made you do multiple nights on Memorial Day weekend.  And it’s easier to have no packing up. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP
On 2/17/2024 at 8:02 AM, PoetryGirl said:

I’ve been watching Ancient Archeology on Netflix. Turns out the Serpent Mound is close ( relative to SC 😂) to Thornville. Might check it out his year! I had no idea it was a thing. This place is featured in episode 6. https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/browse-historical-sites/serpent-mound/

I’m totally immersed in the Native American culture, studying them here on the Delmarva Peninsula. There’s projectile points found here that match up to ones found in caves in Spain and France, Solutrean style. One of the unsuccessful peopling of the Americas 23,000 years ago? I work on a farm that’s on the Chester River, near the spine of Delmarva. There’s a buried bog on the farm with a spring running into the Chester. There’s a Native American site there that they let me surface hunt the beach. In 14 years, I have found 476 projectile points, 47 tools ranging from full groove axes, Bannerstones, Sinew stones, Pestles, Hammerstones, game ball, scrapers, oh, and the bowl from a native clay pipe, about 245 significant potsherds representing at least 18 different containers. Another 3-500 smaller potsherds Diagnostic point styles show continuous visitation to this site for 10,000 years. Grateful Dead music is one of my hobbies. This is the other one. 

• Like (+1) 4