Memorable Psychedelic Live Show Experiences

acududeman

• Forum MVP

Thinking back on the numerous concert experiences I have experienced thru the years, one of the cherished highlights was seeing The B-52's perform at the college I was attending.

This was in '83 and they were near their peak of creativity and zany musical antics. Lucy was in the Sky that night in a very large and liquid way. I remember lots of sequined dresses (mostly on women), large beehive hairdos (again, mostly on women), and dancing like a maniacal banchee throughout the entire show.

Apparently I wasn't alone. For ever after on concert nights in that arena, no fans were allowed on the upper decks. I thought that I had hallucinated this, but apparently with everyone dancing so hard and in time, the upper decks were dipping several inches. It's a wonder we didn't tear the house down I suppose.

Ah, the sweet memories.........

Anyone got any twisted tales to unfurl?

• Forum MVP

MMW Halloween(05 i think) at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Lucy was present on this night too. Pretty crazy show(as their's always are) and I think I recall Antibalis Afrobeat Orchestra coming out and some point and marching around the crowd in some kind of crazy train of sorts. Spent rest of the night after the show wandering around on the subway and exploring central park(until the cops booted us). Good times.

• Forum MVP

Nope, sorry, all of my Psychedelic Live Show experiences were at GD shows........... or up in the mountains (away from normal people). In fact, in the late 80's living in Colorado went to a pub with some buddies to see a house band on New Year's Eve after sipping some organically enhanced tea. Once it kicked in we all looked at one another about the same time and agreed to go out to the car and do some puffin'. Three and half hours later we came back into the bar just before midnight to peak out on the confetti, balloons and noise makers..........

GD and Psychedelic Live Show Experiences = Peas and Carrots :D

Psychedelic Experiences and Normal People = Oil and Water :unsure:

Just my take.

dunno 'bout psychedelic {suppose Max Creek [[especially CampCreek]] resides in this category}, tho some trippy shows i seen:

b-52s {during rock lobster era} & violent femmes

halloween rob zombie & ozzy

fishbone !!!

oooh, how 'bout this one: due to being tricked into going to the amusement park, my girlfriend in high school, when we got there, presented me {which i was certainly NOT thrilled} with a milli and vanilli concert ticket...turns out, it was THE show the CD skipped !!! great twist on that one...

primus {a few times}

project object

In the late '60s I had friends in two local bands - "Saratoga" & "White Clover" they merged to become "Kansas". Kansas' official formation is listed as "early 70", however, they did shows billed as Kansas earlier than that. The reason I tell you this is because I remember the following incident happening in '68.

Several of us were going to Lawrence (KS) to see them in a small hall on KU campus. To this point I had refrained from psychedelics. Things changed that night! My best friend "dosed" me.

By the time we left I was in a "highly expanded state of consciousness". At one point in the 28 mile drive I became part of the car. The "ticket box" at the venue was a table just inside the front door, it was covered with a sheet that hung to the floor. I hid out for awhile under that table, later I found my way down to the basement. In the basement I found an old couch to lay on. I don't remember much about the show, other than they had one helluva light show.

The current lineup (since '73) only has one member I had met, Kerry Livgren. Kerry is recovering from a stroke, he is able to play keyboard with only one hand.

• Advisory Board
In the late '60s I had friends in two local bands - "Saratoga" & "White Clover" they merged to become "Kansas". Kansas' official formation is listed as "early 70", however, they did shows billed as Kansas earlier than that. The reason I tell you this is because I remember the following incident happening in '68.

Several of us were going to Lawrence (KS) to see them in a small hall on KU campus. To this point I had refrained from psychedelics. Things changed that night! My best friend "dosed" me.

By the time we left I was in a "highly expanded state of consciousness". At one point in the 28 mile drive I became part of the car. The "ticket box" at the venue was a table just inside the front door, it was covered with a sheet that hung to the floor. I hid out for awhile under that table, later I found my way down to the basement. In the basement I found an old couch to lay on. I don't remember much about the show, other than they had one helluva light show.

The current lineup (since '73) only has one member I had met, Kerry Livgren. Kerry is recovering from a stroke, he is able to play keyboard with only one hand.

Now that is quite the story TR!

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Here are a few that have been seared (literally) into my brain:

Crosby Stills Nash 1990

Although the music was pretty straightforward, the harmonies were totally blissful. Also, the band members kept morphing into amoeba-like creatures. MMMMM

• Forum MVP

Jethro Tull around 1989 at Riverbend in Cincinnati. Spent the whole day at the Track (horse racing next door) and then the show while lit up pretty good. Great day!

Pink floyd at the Hoosier dome in 94 (I think). Decided to go last minute and ended up with tickets at the very top strait back from the stage. The giant speakers making all of the sound effects were right behind me and from that vantage point you could really see all of the craziness going on. Very tripped out experience :D

Guest deadheadmike

Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, Laguna Hills, CA (4/13/86) ... lit up like a christmas tree and trippin hard ... I think it was my first " Box Of Rain " , not sure , but I think so ...

Well, not a concert per se, but while at University of Colorado, Spring of 1984 (I believe): We were scheduled to go see Hunter S. Thompson speak that evening. During the afternoon, while playin' Frisbee, drinking beers, etc..,we scored some Liquid. Trouble was, I was the last to get dosed, and the dude would NOT let me have any unless I took a drop in the eye. Well, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I hesitantly accepted, along with two more drops on the tongue. What a f'in trip. It too about 5 min to hit. The rest of the afternoon was spent chasing the sun and watching the line form to get in to see Hunter. I look back now and realize what a waste; should have gone up in the mountains instead of listening to Hunter babble while he was getting fucked up on Wild Turkey. Oh, well, everyone there was High (dudes next to us were openly snorting lines from polished stones). I made one promise to myself that day: Never in the eye again!!

• Forum MVP
Well, not a concert per se, but while at University of Colorado, Spring of 1984 (I believe): We were scheduled to go see Hunter S. Thompson speak that evening. During the afternoon, while playin' Frisbee, drinking beers, etc..,we scored some Liquid. Trouble was, I was the last to get dosed, and the dude would NOT let me have any unless I took a drop in the eye. Well, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I hesitantly accepted, along with two more drops on the tongue. What a f'in trip. It too about 5 min to hit. The rest of the afternoon was spent chasing the sun and watching the line form to get in to see Hunter. I look back now and realize what a waste; should have gone up in the mountains instead of listening to Hunter babble while he was getting fucked up on Wild Turkey. Oh, well, everyone there was High (dudes next to us were openly snorting lines from polished stones). I made one promise to myself that day: Never in the eye again!!

Good one........yes, HST made a stop at Vanderbilt U. that same year. I went and saw him (I wasn't dosed btw) and he polished off about 2/3 of a bottle of Wild Turkey while on stage.

He was hilarious, if not quasi-demented. He kept interrupting students asking questions at the mic in the aisle and hurling insults at them. He kept calling us a "generation of swine".......classic Hunter.

We also had Timothy Leary and Larry "Bud" Melman come to campus that year. I may as well have been dosed my whole sophomore year.

• Forum MVP

Crosby Stills Nash 1990

Although the music was pretty straightforward, the harmonies were totally blissful. Also, the band members kept morphing into amoeba-like creatures. MMMMM

• Forum MVP

This one sticks out to me

11/17/94 Hara Arena, Dayton, OH

Set I: Helter Skelter, Scent of a Mule, Maze, Bouncing Around the Room, Wilson, The Divided Sky, Dog Faced Boy, Colonel Forbin's Ascent> Vibration of Life> Fly Famous Mockingbird, Down With Disease

Set II: Also Sprach Zarathustra> David Bowie, Sleeping Monkey> Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself> HYHU> Love You> HYHU, Slave to the Traffic Light, Golgi Apparatus

Encore: I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome1, Nellie Kane1, My Long Journey Home1 2, Fixin' To Die3

1 Acoustic

2 With the Reverend Jeff Mosier on spoons

3 First time played; With Jeff Mosier

This was my first (and the best) phish show I went to. I didn't have a clue of what they were like live. I went with a few close friends, had a few hits and a bit of stress from a so called friend right before the the show. I have to say when the band started I was a bit freaked out and thought about gettin the hell out of the place but boy I was glad I stuck it out. It is by far the best phish show they did (IMHO). It was the first time I ever see a crowd hush everyone for the encore. I seen Phish several times after this but nothing ever came close to this one.

• Forum MVP

Pink Floyd 1988

At one point I could have sworn I was witnessing a moon-landing which was set to music being played backwards and sung in Cantonese. One of the best live shows ever!

I had fun at that show, (went with Thinman)... despite it being such a production that just didn't feel or sound very real--as in they rehearsed a set list and played songs the exact same way they did on the albums and played them that way at every stop on the tour.

Even though I had a good enough time, I still can't believe they were allowed to call themselves Pink Floyd without Waters.

Jerry Garcia Band

Previous_arrow Saturday, Dec 3, 1977 Next_arrow

Binder Gym (Hartwick College), Oneonta, NY

- Set 1 -

I'll Take A Melody

Mystery Train

Mission In The Rain

Lonesome And A Long Way From Home

Catfish John

The Way You Do The Things You Do

- Set 2 -

Let It Rock

Harder They Come

Night They Drove Old Dixie Down

Don't Let Go

Tore Up Over You

This show had special meaning for me and my friend Sue at the time...

The Pirates Ball 9-15-76...up on top of the boat..became one with the stars and cars as we passed under the bridges of NYC...

Cornell 5-08-77...ablaze and the snowfall on the ground post show only added to the insanity of that day and night...

I could go on but i will end with Colgate 11-4-77...perfect buzz, perfect band, beautiful women, just a startlingly fun adventure that night was...

Many fine memories of early eighties stuff (so glad I had exposure to New York concerts in the early 80s going to college there):

Peter Gabriel - SUNY Stonybrook gym

Genesis - Forrest Hills Tennis stadium (no Gabriel but still doing Supper's Ready, Lamb lies down on Broadway, 5th of firth, and all the old Gabriel with Genisis stuff - memorable show!).

The Psychedelic Furs in the tripping fields of Sunny New Paltz during Spring Weekend. circa, 1983ish.

Yes in the round.

Al Dimeola in Central Park - something quiet sureal in my memory of this show.

Pat Metheny - now here is a Jazz musician who went Psychedelic for a few years. I remember 3 hours concerts with a lot of space.

John Mclaughlin at Hofstra University

Michael Hedges at SUNY New Paltz "New Age Festival" circa 1986ish - Hedges was one of my favorit performers. Also saw him in Carnegie Hall. R.I.P.

• Forum MVP

One of those big Festivals...summer of either '69 or '70...somewhere south of Atlanta.

Big Bright Orange Sun just on the horizon.

A dozen huge black Musical Notes floating away in the sky like balloons escaping from Mace's Christmas parade. ....musical notes shaped like the ones written on paper... all in seven four time

Led Zeppelin playing on stage.

Peace, Love, and Electric Memories

Doc

One of those big Festivals...summer of either '69 or '70...somewhere south of Atlanta.

Big Bright Orange Sun just on the horizon.

A dozen huge black Musical Notes floating away in the sky like balloons escaping from Mace's Christmas parade. ....musical notes shaped like the ones written on paper... all in seven four time

Led Zeppelin playing on stage.

Peace, Love, and Electric Memories

Doc

great story as usual Doc.

• Forum MVP

There's a fellow in Seattle who puts on Ice Cream Socials. They are (rather) psychedelic. It tends to be an all night affair, with no curfew, so the band can play all night long. Each Social is themed. Last one was Atlantis. The whole theater was decorated like it was underwater, and everyone had to be decorated as a sea creature, or they wouldn't be able to breathe. My favorite one was the rainforest's theme. Filled the place with plants, and fog. He hires the best he can for lights, one of my favoritest bands plays, and the Psychedelics flow freely. (Even if you don't trip, and enjoy the kid-friendly ice cream, the environment is like none other!) It's a fundraiser benefit, and each one has been bigger and better than the last. Truly gotta be the greatest show environment\experience since the acid tests, no doubt.

• Forum MVP
There's a fellow in Seattle who puts on Ice Cream Socials. They are (rather) psychedelic. It tends to be an all night affair, with no curfew, so the band can play all night long. Each Social is themed. Last one was Atlantis. The whole theater was decorated like it was underwater, and everyone had to be decorated as a sea creature, or they wouldn't be able to breathe. My favorite one was the rainforest's theme. Filled the place with plants, and fog. He hires the best he can for lights, one of my favoritest bands plays, and the Psychedelics flow freely. (Even if you don't trip, and enjoy the kid-friendly ice cream, the environment is like none other!) It's a fundraiser benefit, and each one has been bigger and better than the last. Truly gotta be the greatest show environment\experience since the acid tests, no doubt.

That actually sounds pretty damn cool. When will he do a standing on the moon themed one? Where you have to wear a space suit or you can't breathe...I'd come to that one! It would have a lovely view of heaven.

Archived