Calvin Theater - Noho Ma

Still Truckin

Last night DSO shattered all of my illusions about 80s shows and delivered a totally stunning experience.  Took a second set without a huge orchestral centerpiece (TOO, Terrapin, layered Playin', etc) and made it howl.  The Stranger > Eyes > GDTRFB > Smarter was just jaw dropping and a dancer's dream.  In a lifetime of listening I have never heard a Black Peter to equal this one. The supplication jam also reached the stratosphere.  A sweet Box filler let us float home to Boston on a cloud. Skip bombed his way into our hearts with this one.   DSO, I am truly grateful. 

06/27/85 (Thu)  Saratoga Performing Arts Center - Saratoga Springs, NY

Set 1: Midnight Hour > Bertha > Little Red Rooster, Stagger Lee > El Paso, Crazy Fingers > Supplication > High Time, Hell In A Bucket > Don't Ease Me In

Set 2: Feel Like A Stranger > Eyes Of The World > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > Women Are Smarter > Drums > Truckin' > Spoonful > Black Peter > Lovelight, E:Johnny B. Goode, E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

Filler: Jamaica sales pitch

Box of Rain

Knew it was SPAC '85 right from the Midnight Hour start and so psyched since this was one of my favorite GD bootlegs for the past 28 years.  The only thing missing was Phil and Jerry trying to get the folks to stop hanging off the balcony before Stagger Lee.  Loved how closely related DSO did the show down to the somewhat missed verse in ElPaso and even places where some feed back would happen.  AWESOME!!  Would love to have a NUGS from that night ( ATT. Rob E.) especially since the Calvin is so stricted with taping and my bootleg has suffered from time (plus you can't get soundboard GD from archive any longer)  Loved the Crazy Fingers into High Time, my first DSO Spoonful was incredible, super powerful Black Peter and fun dancing Lovelight were my highlights.  Thanks DSO.  Also glad the staff stopped bugging us and chasing us away from dancing in the back cuz there is no way I could keep still and be stuck behind any seats.

As an avowed 60s/70s enthusiast, I was understandably dismayed upon entering the Calvin Theater and seeing the 2 full drum kits, organ/piano set up and no mike for Lisa!

Yes, I have seen DSO over 50 times since 2000 and realize that they constantly rotate the shows and play their hearts every night, regardless of the setlist or era.

But,  I never tire of what I consider to be the best shows the Grateful Dead ever played and was bummed to have missed that 77 show from Wallingford from the night before. 

Ugh, I thought, it could be a long night re-creating one of those 80s/90s shows that so disappointed me way back when.

Got the setlist early on through the wonders of iPhone technology and really thought it would be a long drive back home bumming that once again my Dead/DSO dreams would be dashed.

Boy, was I wrong!!!

What a great show.

Ok, the first set was a little quirky, but had a few real gems and novel arrangements.

The 2nd set TOTALLY rocked from start to finish.

Amazing, really.

Everyone on stage was totally in sync, hitting every note with gusto and joy, and Skip didn't miss or skip a beat!

Encores were totally solid and enjoyable and the Box of Rain was sensitively and expertly sung and played by Skip with Lisa supporting the vocals.

I guess love indeed will see you though.

Already looking forward to my next DSO show, wherever and whenever that might be.

​Thanks for all you do, DSO.

Having been introduced by DSO to the amazingness of the early and mid '70s Grateful Dead experience, I have to admit my heart sank when I turned the corner into the venue and saw the '80s setup.

Well, well. What a journey we got to experience last night at the Calvin, yet another epic DSO masterpiece that reminded me (once again) how special this all really is. DSO brought down the house, and also nearly brought me to tears a couple times, especially on Black Peter (never heard that one live before and Matson just poured it out on that song). The transitions were enticing, and of course the beautiful renditions of so many great tunes. etc, etc.

This will be a must-release/must-listen on NUGS or wherever the band publishes (hopefully!!). Thank you DSO!

• Forum MVP

As an avowed 60s/70s enthusiast, I was understandably dismayed upon entering the Calvin Theater and seeing the 2 full drum kits, organ/piano set up and no mike for Lisa!

Yes, I have seen DSO over 50 times since 2000 and realize that they constantly rotate the shows and play their hearts every night, regardless of the setlist or era.

But, I never tire of what I consider to be the best shows the Grateful Dead ever played and was bummed to have missed that 77 show from Wallingford from the night before.

Ugh, I thought, it could be a long night re-creating one of those 80s/90s shows that so disappointed me way back when.

Got the setlist early on through the wonders of iPhone technology and really thought it would be a long drive back home bumming that once again my Dead/DSO dreams would be dashed.

Boy, was I wrong!!!

What a great show.

Ok, the first set was a little quirky, but had a few real gems and novel arrangements.

The 2nd set TOTALLY rocked from start to finish.

Amazing, really.

Everyone on stage was totally in sync, hitting every note with gusto and joy, and Skip didn't miss or skip a beat!

Encores were totally solid and enjoyable and the Box of Rain was sensitively and expertly sung and played by Skip with Lisa supporting the vocals.

I guess love indeed will see you though.

Already looking forward to my next DSO show, wherever and whenever that might be.

​Thanks for all you do, DSO.

I did the iPhone google of set list at my 1st DSO show in Chicago. I won't do it again. Half the fun is having no clue what will be played next.

• Forum MVP

When I first joined DSO there where only a few folks that I could see on cell phones trying to figure out what was going on.  Now, so many!!

Don't get me wrong, to each his own.  We approach every show like a new born.  We try to be in the moment, spontaneous, going on the journey.

I wish more folks would follow suit.  I promise you that what ever show we preform, we will give 100% and all our hearts.  :-)  Thanks for all your support!!

I don't own a phone (use my dad's flip/ non internet phone when needed)  I just happened to figure this show out by the Midnight Hour start and still wasn't sure it was SPAC until after 1st set (when someone else used there phone)  Out of 77 shows I've gone to this is the 1st one I've ever figured out...... but it definitely didn't ruin it for me since I have always loved the energetic GD version and SPAC was a fun spot at that time.  And Rob, my thoughts are that you guys always give 110%, have NEVER been dissappointed and always in need for more!!!  Now I have a short wait til cosmic new years run.......

• Forum MVP

When I download dead or DSO shows I've never heard I make sure to not check the set list either. The surprise of a reprise or a song you aren't that familiar with makes me bubble inside.

Now I do check out the eq and try to guess the year of the show. That's always fun when u see the eq for the 1st time. Nashville 2012 got me all excited to see accoustic eq and early 70s setup. Knew we were in store for some magic-not that every DSO show isn't magic.

Edit-by eq I mean equipment lol. Guess I play too many phone games.

When I first joined DSO there where only a few folks that I could see on cell phones trying to figure out what was going on.  Now, so many!!

Don't get me wrong, to each his own.  We approach every show like a new born.  We try to be in the moment, spontaneous, going on the journey.

I wish more folks would follow suit.  I promise you that what ever show we preform, we will give 100% and all our hearts.  :-)  Thanks for all your support!!

heck we used to think people at shows (fat man days) were cheating when they would write down the lists during the show - had to wait until the hotel room later.  alot of the time we couldn't get it right while the just taped show was playing as we were "guessing".

• Forum MVP

It would be like paying to see a movie, then reading the spoiler during the previews. No way for me. Mystery part of the magic!!

Agreed. I have 3 kids and turned down the opportunity to find out the gender of any of them beforehand. If you know that about me, then you know how I roll at a DSO show. I've only been able to guess one of the shows I've seen and it was because I was at the original - Hampton 3/26/86 played in Asheville. I attended the original with my brother and we were at the recreation together... Special...

The cell phones indicate lack of GD music knowledge. Penalty flags should be thrown when the phone comes out. Half the fun of it is trying to " name that show ".  I learned a great deal about the music from recording live shows on cassette format back in the day. You had to listen to the entire show which helped you to understand the different nuances found from year to year, even tour to tour in the Grateful dead's body of music. It allowed you to understand the placement of different tunes or overall arrangement. Attending hundereds of shows helped as well.

My first DSO show included a segmant of three Bobby tunes in a row in the first set ( Mama> Mex > LL Rain ). That immediately tipped me off to the exact date which was quite obvious due to the fact that Bobby probably never did that before or after that particular show?. Havent looked it up but imagine it to be true. It also was a show that I had attended ( Nassau 1981 ).

A particular feller ( DSO fan ) finds it amusing to come and tell me the show's date. I find it disrespectful.  I am not the only one he shares the information with. He is getting some inside information which he should keep to himself as the show is supposed to be a secret. HINT HINT!

Leave your cell phones in the car folks...

• Forum MVP

I believe one legitimate use of a cell phone is to share the joy and love with absent friends. That may include sending a partial set list or letting the non-attendee hear a beloved song. In the first instance it may be for the purpose of quick posting of the show or sending the show specs back. I reserve judgment on that act.

In the latter case, while the sound quality usually sucks bad, the thoughtfulness is really awesome. I've both shared and benefitted from that kindness.

Just sayin'.

• Forum MVP

I learned a great deal about the music from recording live shows on cassette format back in the day. You had to listen to the entire show which helped you to understand the different nuances found from year to year, even tour to tour in the Grateful dead's body of music.

Wait a second - the kids don't listen to the entire show these days?!?  What's next, cutting directly to, say, the Music Never Stopped jam?  That would be like just listening to a Phish show.  :rofl:

• Forum MVP

Would have loved to have seen this show. I was at the original show, it was pouring rain at this show and crowd went wild during

Bertha when Jerry said "all night pouring"!

It poured hard at the next show in Hershey with about a hour and a half set break! My first DEW was at Hershey 85 (opened with a great echoing Cold Rain). Grimaced upon reading the report of the High Time we missed up in Saratoga. It's really, really great DSO is delving into 1985......

Archived