GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I'm all too familiar with that. I know he's the best player in the world but I don't need to read an article about what he ate for lunch. I'd rather just watch him play and I refuse to read any articles about him now. don't know what that has to do with anything though??

am I going insane though? I feel like I'm reading the same drivel over and over though. someone please have something new and interesting to say.

love you buddy. hope to see you there.

• Forum MVP

Just read article on kobe bryant soups made with bone broth.

In all seriousness, I think that those that do these gigs will experience something great. The feeling of community. The sense of a mass movement. I do think that will bring some ugliness but I feel the overriding sense and scene will be beautiful. I would encourage everyone that can to attend. I'm going to do what I've done since I started seeing this music. I'm going to go see it performed at its highest level. If that's in chicago, so be it.

• Forum MVP

The dead scene was pretty ugly in 95 anyway. Can't be any worse than the destruction left by the army of panhandlers who would steal and gatecrash. There were more panhandlers outside dead shows than in any major city. It was sort of fucked up. You won't have the homeless that u did in 95. Tix are expensive so will be more yuppie.

In all seriousness, I think that those that do these gigs will experience something great. The feeling of community. The sense of a mass movement. I do think that will bring some ugliness but I feel the overriding sense and scene will be beautiful.

This is what i'm feeling right now partly because last night I saw our local Dead tribute(New Speedway Players) at a packed free theatre show with Evergreen Grass Band and had a blast. The energy was very high and I haven't had that much fun with friends since DSO a year ago. Grateful Dead music is in a league of it's own. Now I'm thinking pay bills or mail order for tickets for all three days. It's probably a bad idea and sort of a gamble but if the band sounds fantastic and the scene is overwhelmingly positive and caring it could make for the weekend of a lifetime. Of course that if thinking mixed with hyping things too much is one way to lead yourself to disappointment but I've been riding this wave of sacredness and gratefulness the last few years and most things seem to turn out awesome.

• Forum MVP

Im not being negative and I plan to go. Not sure if that was directed at me as I've sensed negativety towards me in previous posts. And if u know me u know that im usually the happiest guy on tour.

Aren't DSO usually in middle America also that time of year? I may try to string a few of those together with the last night at soldier field. That way I'm satisfied musically as well as nostalgia wise. Like St. Louis and Kansas city or Milwaukee?

They tend to play either Milwaukee Summerfest or an outside show in Chicago in the summer but beyond that I'd have to look at past dates. I generally only see them in the winter.

I can handle this, in fact if I was there I'd probably love it. Mattson would have people in tears again and again but we can't always expect that type of experience. The jams won't feel exactly the same and the vocals will vary in vibe, especially if Phil and Bob sing some Jerry songs but I think Trey will have the songs down and take the whole thing very seriously.

• Forum MVP

Negative.....yea all gd songs are positive!!! How would u even k ow how good positive is with out throwing in some negative for reinforcements?

Silly if you ask me....but all do u ds good except trey!!! Time will tell...and for a group of heads who have been repetively listening to the same tunes for decades...funny u talk about the same old rhetoric! !! Don't we all like beating dead horses? Catherine the great did!!!

• Forum MVP

Im not being negative and I plan to go. Not sure if that was directed at me as I've sensed negativety towards me in previous posts. And if u know me u know that im usually the happiest guy on tour.

I know Rude, that sumbitch is happy all the damn time.

That is hilarious!

If anybody is offended by my “negativity” I humbly apologize that I offended. I do not apologize for my thoughts, feelings and views. The ability to post amongst brethren my disgust about these developments is a therapeutic catharsis for me and also serves as a warning to those that expect a deeply spiritual experience from these shows.

If that happens I will be happy for you! For those that are looking for something from saying goodbye, I hope you get what you are looking for. The ones paying homage to bill mickey bob phil, I hope your devotion is recognized. The ones going for the big party, I hope you have fun and learn something important.

Some of the younger heads I know and respect have already felt this music in a very pure form- feeling it in the gut, heart, head and feet.

Y’all play safe and hope to see you down the road!

• Forum MVP

Catherine the Great definitely was the first monarch to take the small pox vaccine. Pretty incredible, if you ask me, to have someone inject a dead virus beneath your skin when in 1848 the doctors at John Hopkins had more women dying after childbirth than the midwives because they didn't wash their hands after an autopsy, etc. much more impressive than any lore of a horse.

• Forum MVP

The horse thing was a tat less joke....but it did teach me about the small pox and the great Catherine! !! Will Google to get more insight...thanks PG!!!

I did just find out that hornesby, and my percussions will be in full force. Maybe they all can real in Bobby and phil!!!

Location sucks though. I would drop a dime for Red Rocks...all depends what and where dso is doing during those dates!!!

I really can't stand however, the BMW hippies bumming money and drugs for the next show, cause dad won't pay for it. Seen that at phish. ..and though trey may do better than warren, the thought of mingling with a bunch of bounce around the room fees, who are mostly jack ass prodigies... would not be good for my vibe....

But as barefoot Brian said....I hope all those going find what they are looking for!!!

I wish Teacher Matt a brilliant fun loving time!!!!!

• Forum MVP

I got a shit storm of old tour buddies booking rooms in Chicago.  There is even an RV being rented to drive from Ithaca.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'll mail order for GA tomorrow, just to see what happens.

Although heads around my age are not pleased with lineup I do have my 3 day reservation made in Chi in case I score tickets via mail order. (GA with Res backup)

Then there's always VIP packages....

Archived