GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

When your father or brother dies, can the family still have a reunion?

I've been pretty anti- this event in a lot of my posts but I very much feel the dead can have a reunion. The compansionship and community should feel the same. Good times all around. I just think that the music will be lacking. It's a family reunion not a jerry resurrection.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

• Advisory Board

Well,

The poster say's "Celebrating 50 Years of the Grateful Dead" but the text states "Marks the Grateful Dead Members' Final Performance Together". So a celebration of the past and a reunion as well.

People who are actually dead can't be there (Jerry, Pigpen, Keith, Brent) but having been members of the band must be honored at an event such as this. When I saw "The Who" last year there was a very tasteful portion where video was used to allow John Entwistle and Keith Moon to be both honored and "perform" with the band. It was pretty cool. It was pretty respectful and appreciated by audience. A similar technique was used a few years back when I saw the reunion of "Queen". Video of Freddy Mercury was used and it was as if he was performing with the band. It was great. I'm not saying that technology need be used to pay tribute and honor those no longer with us, many ways to do it, but the technology has arrived to make it great. Imagine a perfect video of Pigpen singing anything while the band plays live with him. Just imagine... That would be incredible.

People who are actually alive should be included somehow. That's not only good taste but is the right way to go with both an anniversary celebration and a final performance together. Was Donna not a member of the band for 7 years? And TC was instrumental even for a short time (1969). And Hunter was often called a "member" of the band. How these people get included could vary. Walk on roles, etc. But it would be thrilling and special. And it would be satisfying for those of us with a sense of history and perspective. And it could bring a sense of closure to a great 50 year legacy.

I just don't feel any satisfaction when the body of work is reinterpreted too far from the source. Especially the Jerry songs being sung by Phil or Bob. It actually makes me feel sad on those times when I saw the various post GD bands with Phil and Bobby. But I got it and accepted it at the time. But this time is different. The name of the Grateful Dead is being invoked. The inclusion of the "Core 4" is being heralded. It is being called a "Farewell". It is not a time for reinterpretation, it is a time to celebrate the legacy and honor those who created the music, and the fans who have always been considered an integral "member" of the band. If another reinterpretation with Phil and Bob why not just have another Furthur or Phil and Friends show? Having Billy and Mickey is great and right, but truly not a big deal musically. More nostalgic and the way it should be, but not critical musically (for me).

Everything above is just my opinion of course. Living close I will even go if I am lucky enough to get Gen Adm tix in the hope that some or all of the above may happen. I would hate to miss it. But I imagine that it will be a lot like the recent past, with Phil and Bob singing Jerry. I expect a Phish song and a Hornsby song. I doubt much of a Pigpen memorial and doubt even more a Brent memorial. I really doubt a Donna/TC/Hunter nod.

Having seen all GD shows at Soldier Field it will be a zoo. Anything except the general admission seats will be far away. The crowds getting in and out are huge. The parking lot scene will suck. Grant Park/Millenium Park/Michigan Avenue are not hospitable for hanging out and partying after or before the show in any meaningful way. They always do have really great fireworks though, and I have always had fun at those shows. The concept of seeing the band at some huge stadium and experiencing that feeling was much better at a place like Alpine Valley, where there was camping and 24/7 hanging out in a makeshift community with great music. This won't be like that. But I have an open mind, and am hoping for the best. I just don't want to walk away feeling saddened about the whole thing.

Dr. B  B)

• Advisory Board

Check out this audience video of The Who "playing" with Keith Moon in 2013. Being there was fantastic. It was incredibly moving and it sounded great.

Imagine a Lovelight or a Good Love or Hard to Handle? Imagine a Far From Me or a Blow Away. Imagine a Dear Mr. Fantasy with Brent and Jerry...

Just my thoughts...

Dr. B

When your father or brother dies, can the family still have a reunion?

I've been pretty anti- this event in a lot of my posts but I very much feel the dead can have a reunion. The compansionship and community should feel the same. Good times all around. I just think that the music will be lacking. It's a family reunion not a jerry resurrection.

bad analogy - the family isn't producing anything.  on 8/9/95 it should have been apparent to Mr. Weir that the only thing to do was a press release;  Yesterday, the long strange trip that was The Grateful Dead came to an end.  As I'm sure for a lot of you, it was the saddest day of my life.  

• Forum MVP

I think that the analogy holds but I understand your sentiment. And it's semantics we're arguing. It's really about perception. A reunion to one may be a spectacle to another. I'm sure many people feel that they are attending a reunion maybe if it is just of their tour buddies.

I wasn't turned on when jerry died. At nine, I didn't know of the dead. Saddest day of my life was when i found my dad dead in the shower. The thought of it brings me to tears even now. I imagine Jerry's death may have felt similar to that to many.

• Forum MVP

The early rumors of a holographic Jerry seem so appealing today.

That would be amazing and overwhelming at the same time.

That factor might increase Soldier Field rental right there alone; talk about faces melting off. What would that look like? The song.....Morning Dew--->For that matter bring on holographic Pigpen too -->Lovelight.

• Forum MVP

There is a petition going around for soldier field to allow overnight parking. A news channel spoke on the subject and noted soldier field was "looking into it." Just a thought for those interested. The news bit also mentioned a bed bug problem being 1 reason they may actually consider it so a heads up on that front as well.

May be a reach though. Town probably looking forward to all the hotel bookings

I hadn't considered that they might play a Phish song. It's definitely possible. Nothing I would desire but if it was a good one and they played it well I could tolerate and maybe enjoy it.

My issue is it being too much of a good thing which is why I have to skip over certain songs and take breaks from Dead music for months at a time.

There's still time to take these remarks back.

Just yanking your chain :) I can understand the need for a musical balance and diversity. What I can't understand is any suggestion that Trey play a Phish song. If he does one straight up - that would certainly draw some ire.

The more I think about it though, how many Fee and Antelope riffs will make it into FOTM? Probably 1 too many....

I thought I had made peace with Trey as lead....I guess not

If my ticket comes through and I make it there and the show actually happens and they play a Phish song(which surely would be rehearsed a lot before hand and not Trey's idea to begin with) I'll try to roll with it hot(not cold!) and not nail him to a cross because I want to have a great time. Funny thing, I'm good at getting things completely wrong when I lazily think about future events and for some reason when I think of this show I picture myself in the end zone dancing like mad and it's sparse there with plenty of room and there is a goal post in front of the stage. I'm not really much of football fan even! I need to Google 'Soldier Field Dead show' to get a different image in my head.

Diversity, yes! Mostly I like metal, pre-80s rock, and The Grateful Dead.

• Forum MVP

No way there will be overnight parking at the Venue - no freaking way to be exact. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong, but there are better odds with the lottery.

As for assigned seating at the venue - in sure it will be as free as the all of the fans want it to be. Wanna get to the GA pit with an assigned seat? The good 'ole 'stub-down' will be in full effect

• Forum MVP

As for assigned seating at the venue - in sure it will be as free as the all of the fans want it to be. Wanna get to the GA pit with an assigned seat? The good 'ole 'stub-down' will be in full effect

Given how small the GA section is, and how desirable it will be vs. reseaved seats miles from the stage, I imagine wrist bands will be in full effect and "stub downs" won't be possible. 

I for one, will not find out first hand.  Come mail order day, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  I realized I'd only be going to see old friends, and if I wanted to see them that badly I could go visit them.  Plus, with people scattered in hotels all about, and likely in stadium seating all about, it seemed like the scene would be very fragmented.

• Forum MVP

Thanks JohnA!  You are probably right - the dreaded wrist band will probably rear it's ugly head....

For those who are going to try the pre-sale route, here is some helpful info:

All sales via axs.com/dead50 will be directed through our “virtual waiting room”. The waiting room will open 30 minutes prior to the start of the presale. From the time the waiting room opens until the start of the on sale, we actively filter brokers, scalpers, and other nefarious actors so that we can give actual people the best chance to purchase. When the event goes on sale, users will be randomly selected to enter the purchase flow. The waiting room automatically refreshes – no need to refresh while you wait. You can sign-in to your account while you wait. PLEASE NOTE: a place in the waiting room does not guarantee the availability of tickets.

Don't try to log in right before 10am CST on 2/12.  Get in there around 9:15 CST (or sooner) and be ready to try and get in when the waiting room 'opens'. 

Good luck to everyone! :)

Archived