GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Since it's only one in ten thousand that come for the show in the first place, them's some pretty slim odds. But if they are cashing money orders with the intent of offering ticket fulfillment that sounds like a positive development.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Shapiro is no Bill Graham that's for sure.  As the producer he woefully undersestimated the demand for this.  Any Dead Head particularly the older ones could have told you this thing would be over the top in terrns of popularity.  Many people simply wanted to tip thier cap in person  as a matter of respect to the music that has meant so much to them over the years.  It's as simple as that really.  I'm still in the game but odds are clearly not in my favor and it is unforgivable that there will clearly be a big  chunk of peeps that will not have there money orders back prior to the Ticketmaster on sale Saturday.  That simply is fundamentally wrong as there will be many that need that  money outlay in order to compete for the Ticketmaster sale. Shapiro needs to get out the box and start setting up a network of Theaters and Venues across the Country to simulcast this event.  Not jsut the ones he owns.  This thing should be shown at the Fox in St. Louis, The Great American, at a Venue in Boutlder and specifically he should line up 2 or 3 venues in Chicago like the Chicago Theater, the Vic, and The Riviera for the overflow who will be in Chicago and not have tickets.  Still time to make this work Peter.  Don't fuck it up more than you already have.

• Forum MVP

Peter Shapiro is no Bill Graham that's for sure.  ...... the older ones could have told you this thing would be over the top in terrns of popularity.  ......start setting up a network of Theaters and Venues across the Country to simulcast this event. .....  Still time to make this work Peter.  .....

Muddy is correct about this.  They have enough time to arrange good video crews and equipment to do a simulcast...actually if they had their heads on stright to begin with they would have set up filming for at least a DVD.  Chicago is likly to be totally overrun with people that don't have tickets if some alternate attraction is not availible.

Peace,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Still sittin here in limbo. Been waitin for the mail to come.

Been trying to stay positive thinking that no news is good news. But at some point no news has got to be bad news. Believe we are approaching that point. I'd like to know one way or another before the TM date but who knows.

• Forum MVP

Looks like all the scalper CID packages are gone. For all of u trying tomorrow for tix here's a page with direct links to the individual shows or 3-day passes. Not sure if that's a help as I've never done the tickermaster nonstop refresh on 5 devices like I'll be doing in the morning. http://www.jambase.com/Articles/124174/Grateful-Dead-50-Fare-Thee-Well-Ticket-Guide

Well I got lucky and scored mail order tickets for the final night. The envelope that won was an incredible free hand drawing of the Chicago Skyline. I can't be certain but I have to think that the art work played a factor. I feel a little guilty like leaving my friends behind on the battlefield or something. But I am an old Chicago Dead Head (1/30/78 Uptown theater first show at 15) so feel things are coming full circle and glad for the opportunity. Good luck to everyone on the quest.

I scored mail order tix for myself, my sister (who I saw the GD with at Soldier Field in `91), her son - my 13 yr. old nephew, and my best friend Caroline.

Have hotel reservations at the Intercontinental & Crowne Plaza and my flight from Toronto is booked and paid for already.

Very excited to share in this experience.

I personally don't care who the boys chose for lead guitar.  It's their band and their choice.

I'm also a BIG Donna fan and would love to see her come out for a song or two.

I will not be surprised if there are guests throughout the weekend.

• Forum MVP

Ummm. Stubhub has 3-day passes for a min of 8700 and they are selling. OMG. And for those who petitioned for overnight parking are looking at a min of 200 a night for parking lmao. The cheapest 59.00 tix to any night are 1200 bucks. Insanity. I've decided I'm going for tix and gonna scalp if I get. Judge me if u choose but if I do somehow get lucky, I'm booking west coast tour of DSO and taking the gf and my conscience will be clean. That mail order just left a sour taste in my mouth with the 1/10 shot of tix. The place is gonna be filled with fat cats saying can u please sit down so I can see the show. I'll take grooving with DSO among like minded souls if I get that choice. I'll know tomorrow by 10:01 my time if I get tix as they won't last 30 secs with international scalping outfits running a million bots.

• Forum MVP

Sounds like Rude' sums up the situation pretty well. I'm sure many of us will be giving it a try in the morning. If it weren't for my brother and nephue wanting to go I won't bother. With my slow computer and even slower pickin' on the keys I doubt if I stand a chance among all the big time scalpers.

Peace, Love, and Good Luck at Ten am

Doc

They're selling postcards of the hanging

They're painting the passports brown

The beauty parlor is filled with sailors

The circus is in town

Here comes the blind commissioner

They've got him in a trance

One hand is tied to the tight-rope walker

The other is in his pants

And the riot squad they're restless

They need somewhere to go

As Lady and I look out tonight

From Desolation Row.

At this point it's just plain silly when you consider what used to be.

I am one of the lucky 10 percent but Daddy-O's analysis is spot on we have come along way from $7.50 balcony $8.50 Mezzanine and $9.50 main floor at the Uptown. It's silly really. Unfortunately it would be disingenuous for them to to book gigs after this. Maybe before but not after.

Archived