Jubilee #3

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

Like a prayer, washed and clean as the water bearer visited to soothe our souls. The alchemist brought fire and tickled our hearts. And the wind brought rolled away the dew and rang the bells. The carnival came to town and ohana rose up singing.

Good talk story, fellows and gals !! What a host of hosts and hostesses !!

My, oh my, do I wish I could have been there for this one! Anybody who was may consider themselves very lucky, to be at a re-creation of the "Sunshine Daydream" concert, certainly right up there in the "holy grails" category of shows. Would love to read about how it went down, play-by-play, and the ecstatic reaction of many in the crowd once they realized what they had been given! I know Rob said he would only master and upload elective shows to Nugs from now on, and we are all grateful for his work in that area, but this one would get my vote (and I'm sure many others') as a special re-creation upload. Perhaps someone taped it, and will post it to Archive, or video of the show to Youtube. We can only hope :).

• Forum MVP

I noticed there were myltiple taping setups this year. May get lucky

Yeah, I had to be the librarian. Finger to mouth and shhhh .... Shhhhh. "Hey Dude. You gotta be quiet so we get good recordings. Of course if you want to talk go over there". . (Plus your voice makes me want to give you a high five. In the face. With a chair)

But I did say the librarian was coming, didn't I ?

• Forum MVP

Plus your voice makes me want to give you a high five. In the face. With a chair)

:rofl:   Sounds just about right.

I'm sampling a little here and there.  It may need a little tweaking to get it as good as it can be - Skip is coming in well tho  :blink:   Thump.

• Forum MVP

My, oh my, do I wish I could have been there for this one! Anybody who was may consider themselves very lucky, to be at a re-creation of the "Sunshine Daydream" concert, certainly right up there in the "holy grails" category of shows. Would love to read about how it went down, play-by-play, and the ecstatic reaction of many in the crowd once they realized what they had been given! I know Rob said he would only master and upload elective shows to Nugs from now on, and we are all grateful for his work in that area, but this one would get my vote (and I'm sure many others') as a special re-creation upload. Perhaps someone taped it, and will post it to Archive, or video of the show to Youtube. We can only hope :).

It was definitely bad ass with a wicked playin and dark star. The transition from dark star to El Paso was a thing of beauty. As seamless as any transition I've ever heard. It was perfection and the band gave looks to each other knowing they they nailed it!!!!!! Dino's drumming on Datk star just blew my mind. I personally don't see how that kind of drumming is even possible. Its Like patting your head while rubbing your stomach but with feet too and constantly changing the pattern. Crazy hard. The 3 set format was great to give us a little rest. Night 3 many were running on fumes or not running at all....

There were also several tapers. Didn't see a vid camera in the taper area, but personally I prefer just audio. I hope Rob decides to release this show too with the huge crowd at jubilee.

• Forum MVP

Absolutely beautiful Sing Me Back Home tonight! I was almost weeping.

Yes!!! That was absolutely gorgeous. Their harmonizing all night was so perfect. What a fun show!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Here's a shnipit from the tapers compendium volume 1. Great books, I need to get them myself...

from the Dead tapers compendium about 8-27-72...

....I think you guys were tapping into this sunday night. Thanks!

"With the sun still high in the sky, the band takes the stage once again. They open with what is arguably the most psychedelic "playing in the band" of their career. The song starts laid back- it's still hot as hell and their clearly tripping. But once they finish the opening lyrics and begin to jam, another transformation occurs. With the words out of the way, the need to play according to some preordained structure disappears and deep astral space travel immediately becomes the modus operandi. The musical conversation begins to soar, metamorphosing rapidly from one surreal climax to the next. One moment the music is turbulent and chaotic; the next it is a tightly bound ascending spiral soaring upward and inward. As the ensemble's creative intuition leads it further into uncharted realms, a miraculous series of musical epiphanies begin to occur. As each peaks, it then dissolves and is replaced by newer, more complex, fractal music patterns. For the 'expanded' listener this swirling, melting, boiling music appears to mimic the chaotic evolutionary character of nature. One thought is inescapable: this is unlike any other music the Dead have ever played.....This is VERY SERIOUS!!"

I bet it was! When I saw "Sunshine Daydream" for the first time, in September of 2002 at the 92nd Street "Y" in NYC, the footage containing this song had just been added (along with Bird Song), and I did cry like a baby as the sun was disappearing, darkness enveloped the scene, and Jerry was singing his heart out. The story is so sad, yet cathartic and uplifting in a strange way. I looked around and most folks were quietly sobbing, realizing they had just seen about the finest example of the emotions the GD could bring forth. I will never forget that moment, and can only imagine what the fortunate ones at the fairgrounds that hot Summer day in 1972 must have been feeling, as well as those this past Sunday night witnessing Jeff and the band offering up this gift. A big Thank You to the tapers who quickly had all three of these shows uploaded to archive. Your deadication is greatly appreciated!

Can someone help me out. I can't find the first and second day jubilee. The archive link that dancin fool put up only gets me to the third show which sounded amazing. I'm prob doing something wrong lol I really wanna hear that scarlet>ruben>scarlet from day 2...thanks!

Can someone help me out. I can't find the first and second day jubilee. The archive link that dancin fool put up only gets me to the third show which sounded amazing. I'm prob doing something wrong lol I really wanna hear that scarlet>ruben>scarlet from day 2...thanks!

Try going to DSO's main page on archive.org, and then click on "date published", which should bring you to the spot where all the audience recordings are, from most recent backwards, including all three Jubilee shows. I hope this helps.

• Forum MVP

First acquired a tape of 8/27/72 back in '89 and it has been one of my 'holy grail' shows all along the way. Probably my favorite bird song ever. Such an unusual show in so many ways and what a gift to be out at jubilee and get to hear this one...it seemed a perfect fit on third night of Jubilee after a hot and sweaty weekend.

DSO put what I would call extreme attention to detail in getting this show re created very true to form of the original. The whole first set had that slightly slower tempo to it and you could feel the heat of the day come through the music.

The bird song was spot on...just when it would be typically wrapping up...Eaton dove back in hard to unfurl the jam longer and longer...

I loved this whole night. Anyone else notice how the rain stopped the very moment they stepped on stage for the third set??

Such good stuff

Thanks rude i def wanted to hear last nights show. Setlist looks awesome, sucks to hear the crowds energy was low for this kinda show. I was Supposed to have been there last night and tonight but plans got screwed up last minute after this weekend. I'll go check jeff in sea cliff. But after that gotta wait till July run.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Listening to the original, Bobby sings " Running around this clover leaf town...." in "Black Throated Wind". I hadn't heard that nuance before. Evidently, it happened in the early years. So why? Perhaps this is why.

"The Toledo, St. Louis and Western Railroad, often abbreviated TStL&W and commonly known as the Clover Leaf, was a railroad company that operated in northwestern Ohio, north central Indiana, and south central Illinois during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. " "The line from St. Louis went via Frankfort Northeast through Kokomo, Marion, Bluffton, Continental(Ohio), and eventually Toledo. This was once a narrow gauge line and was later know as the Toledo St Louis and Western Railroad aka the "Cloverleaf"." It was abandoned in some portions and others were still used by Norfolk Southern when they took over those lines. 

The poet in me finds it interesting that it is a railroad influence, even more so  that it is one that is gone by the wayside. "Running around" --- not getting anywhere. He is stuck with the blues and trying to lose them.  The town, the inability to make headway, has left its mark. Love can't be found. Those thoughts on the wind whispers lies; the light is elusive and blinding. The song's character has hit the road and seems less than welcoming, but he makes it out.  He relinquishes the sight ( his perspective) he was guided by before and begins afresh. Ah, even make it a dance- You and I will learn from each other as move forward from a new center. Classic Hegel. Other shapes and defines self. He goes home to find center. 

Archived