DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Hope I make it to Dead co here in Cali since DSO is ignoring us the rest of the year.

*more pouty face*

I have become really good at hearing what I wanna hear at NOT DSO while listening to DSO and the actual GD play in my head. At least someone is playing out here for us to gather round.

BUT- prolly won't go anyway- it's not the same. I miss DSO. Will keep playing u in kitchen at dharma center, rolling away the dew.

• Forum MVP

Watched the stream tonight from Fenway over at some friends' house.

Mayer wore matching shorts and shirt, as did Billy. Billy's was tie dyed. Mayer's was navy blue-checked button down and navy blue- checked chino shorts. He traded "My Body is a Wonderland" for " My Body is a Picnic Table", I guess.

Haha..i was outside in the street behind the monster. Got there from terrapin ...pretty good for the cheap cheap seats ..I'll be inside tomoroow or today. Saw a band called eyes of the world across the street. Not too bad

Saturday night didn't do much for me. First set was rough, birdsong was not done justice at all. Deal was good.Second set was slightly better but nothing to talk about, oh there was a fire with no scarlet!!?. The tempo was really slow.. Boring slow. It was cool to finally see fenway.Thank god my dark star run starts Sunday at Utica. I'm really looking forward to seeing them for a lot of this summer tour... I have enjoyed previous dead and co shows but this one lived up to the slow tempo and some bad singing. The cover band after show was pretty good again!

Watched the stream tonight from Fenway over at some friends' house.

Mayer wore matching shorts and shirt, as did Billy. Billy's was tie dyed. Mayer's was navy blue-checked button down and navy blue- checked chino shorts. He traded "My Body is a Wonderland" for " My Body is a Picnic Table", I guess.

Johnny Checkers

• Forum MVP

Did you make it to the gorge mango??

I heard mixed reports of the Portland show.

At the gorge I found first set a bit sluggish and didn't really take off but I found the second set to really take off and feel that the music is in good hands. That venue (at which everybody there is camping) and being with friends were a set up for a good time no matter what but I ended up being impressed by most of the second set,,,glad it's happening and serving its purpose for people. If these guys keep trucking together for a while I think it has potential to get better and better over next year or two...

The music needs to keep being played

• Forum MVP

We ended up going to String Cheese in Eugene. It was awesome. So glad I didn't go to the Gorge. No offense Dead and Co but it's not really for me. I'll catch it when I can. Other more exciting things going on for me.

• Forum MVP

I did sunday cheese at the rocks. Sunday shows supposed to be for the faithful. I expected a big dance scene. It wasn't there. Cheese isn't for me. I danced more to songs I didn't know then their fans did. I felt no communal energy and didn't feel much of a spark from the band. They kept away from the dub and the cheap bass for most of the show but when it happened, it was brutally unbearable.

I'd go see dead and co over them anyday. The dance vibe and feeling of community was tremendous at folsom. The music was all right but I could feel the love and energy. People danced. People danced hard. Maybe it was the altitude. Maybe it was the 3rd night of a 3 night run but the cheese dance scene sucked. I met no one. Their didn't seem to be any community. Nobody sharing joints. The cute girls looked at those dancing like they had giant warts on their face. I got puked on.

Glad you had a good time in Eugene mango but I would've gone to see dead and co at the gorge. The gorge alone does more for me then cheese.

• Forum MVP

One of my good friends is now on the dead and co bandwagon.  He thinks they are the shit.  But I need to preface that with he was a big Mayer fan before.  I had 20 questions for him after he told me the mayer fan part.  Im like you mean bodys a wonderland mayer?  Im like I see.  You put on mayer to get women in the mood.  Nope.  I listen to it by myself.  Im like I see.  You get yourself in the mood for some solo action.  Nope.  The whole thing just went over my head. 

• Forum MVP

Against my better judgment I'm off to the Shoreline tonight, mostly because a good ticket fell into my lap.

Have my raw sheep, triple cream cow and a goat cheese, plus some smoked salmon, grapes, a chardonnay and a pinot noir ready for some tailgating action.  Weather is perfect.  I mean, how bad can it be? B)

• Forum MVP

Show was fun.  Numerous highlights, and definitely some "Bobby, why do you have to do that to the arrangements?" moments.

What was most bewildering to behold was Mayer, this pop music heartthrob guy, working the Garcia slot and seemingly coming at it from the right place.  And on stage taking musical orders from Bob Weir.  Nutty shit.  But it more or less was working.

And the Shoreline was packed to the seams.

• Forum MVP

A couple more thoughts -

The video screen directly above the stage is disconcerting when you're up close (we were about 12th row on Chimenti's side).  If you are close enough to get a good look at the band, it's nonetheless hard to focus your view on them with the huge images right above the drums.  I'm sure it worked though for those farther back.

And then there's the sound.  Ever hear a great audience tape from Shoreline?  No, you haven't, because it isn't possible to make one!

• Forum MVP

I gotta say, it's hard not to have at least some degree of respect for John Mayer, whatever one's preconceived notions.  He sure says all the right things.  His latest posting:

This @deadandcompany tour was magical. This band flourished in so many ways. To learn each others' moves as people and musicians, so as to support each other on stage and off made every night a beautiful adventure. I grew up a lone wolf in a bedroom practicing my guitar, and all I ever really craved was community. The community I feel now between my brothers and sisters in this band and crew, and the connection between everyone in the audience from the front row to the back, to those who listened from couches and cars, to those who come up to me and say more with their eyes than their words in their attempt to tell me what this means to them - I will never forget it, because I will never stop feeling it. We're together now. I'm honored to be one of many musicians in the larger community of the GDEU (Grateful Dead Extended Universe.) And it must be said - to Jerry: what a light you are that I could bask in your shadow. Love you all.

Archived