Cryptical>Drums>Other One>Cryptical>Cosmic Charlie,

Big Boss Man>Drums>Good Love>Drums>Good Love>

St. Stephen>NFA>Goin Down the Road>NFA.

E:  Werewolves of London.

Recreation of 70/10/31 The Gym,  S.U.N.Y.  Stony Brook ,NY

Both matinee and evening performances done minus a 

couple repeats in the evening show.

Quite a lot to unpack from this doozy. Dark Hollow special

and the transition to the Cumberland silky smooth.

The ride in the second extensive and the Cosmic Charlie

Big Boss Man twofer outer limits.   Thank you band and

crew for bringing the light to MD.  Great couple of shows.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Forum MVP

Wow! Where do I begin? Such an adventure. From gathering the crew together, getting to the venue, to the time travel that the band took us on, back to 10/31/70. We played that game with trying to figure out the year of the show. We were thrown off by the combo of early tunes and two drummers. Crazy elective? When discussing at half time, we had to remind ourselves that there was a sliver of time when Mickey was in the band pre ‘74. Lisa’s absence helped us figure it out, gotta be pre ‘72. Lisa added harmonica on a couple of tunes but got to spend time on the sidelines being a fan, dancing and watching Dark Star Orchestra perform. I thought that was cool. Everyone in the band was tight, hot, and on fire! Nothing but fun from beginning to end. I really needed a show, been pressured, stressed lately, had a lot to shake out. It took all night, but I got that taken care of. Thankful that the band rocks as hard as they do for as long as they do. Another great night. Enjoyable set list. I like it when the band takes us back in time, before my time immersed with the Grateful Dead. Now it’s time to go ahead and say it. They’re not the best at what they do, they’re the only ones who do what they do. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Now that was a show. Night 1 was cool but night 2 is why I drove 11 hours. That was one of the best shows I’ve seen. That was what you want in a Halloween show!!! You could hear the banter on stage of them talking about the original show. There were things like Bobby dropped out during this part and they did a 9 minute drums we are just doing 5 mins. Note that’s what I heard. The accuracy of that may be off but they were talking it out as they went.  Made me realize it was a recreation. I wasn’t familiar with it. People kept saying 71 but the viola>Cumberland was completely foreign to me and I guessed it had to be 70. I was like did they play viola in 71? I don’t have my deadbase so can’t look it up. But oh boy. That set 1 was just a wild setlist. It made more sense that it was an early and late show as the set 1 would have been really weird for the 1st half of a full show. There were some legit heads that said that it had to be an elective right. It’s one of those reminders that the dead did so much variety it’s hard even for the most die hards to know it all. 

gonna be hard to top this one. Today’s show is gonna come early. At least we gained an hour with the time change. 

• Like (+1) 5
10 hours ago, Rude said:

Now that was a show. Night 1 was cool but night 2 is why I drove 11 hours. That was one of the best shows I’ve seen. That was what you want in a Halloween show!!! You could hear the banter on stage of them talking about the original show. There were things like Bobby dropped out during this part and they did a 9 minute drums we are just doing 5 mins. Note that’s what I heard. The accuracy of that may be off but they were talking it out as they went.  Made me realize it was a recreation. I wasn’t familiar with it. People kept saying 71 but the viola>Cumberland was completely foreign to me and I guessed it had to be 70. I was like did they play viola in 71? I don’t have my deadbase so can’t look it up. But oh boy. That set 1 was just a wild setlist. It made more sense that it was an early and late show as the set 1 would have been really weird for the 1st half of a full show. There were some legit heads that said that it had to be an elective right. It’s one of those reminders that the dead did so much variety it’s hard even for the most die hards to know it all. 

gonna be hard to top this one. Today’s show is gonna come early. At least we gained an hour with the time change. 

10.31.70 was the last Viola.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP

Night #3

11/23/1978 - CRAP Centre

Set One: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Franklin's Tower > New Minglewood Blues ; Stagger Lee ; Looks Like Rain ; Tennessee Jed ; Passenger ; Brown Eyed Women ; The Music Never Stopped

Set Two: Samson And Delilah ; Friend Of The Devil ; Dancing In The Street > Terrapin Station > Playing In The Band > Drums > Ollin Arageed Jam > Space > Shakedown Street > Playing In The Band > Around And Around
Encore: U.S. Blues

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, Tea said:

Night #3

11/23/1978 - CRAP Centre

Set One: Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Franklin's Tower > New Minglewood Blues ; Stagger Lee ; Looks Like Rain ; Tennessee Jed ; Passenger ; Brown Eyed Women ; The Music Never Stopped

Set Two: Samson And Delilah ; Friend Of The Devil ; Dancing In The Street > Terrapin Station > Playing In The Band > Drums > Ollin Arageed Jam > Space > Shakedown Street > Playing In The Band > Around And Around
Encore: U.S. Blues

Filler: white rabbit (shorty version)

As high caliber a 3 show run as anybody could ask for. If you look at that setlist above you'll see the dance breaks were LLR and Space, 🥵😅 The execution of the whole event was near flawless in my perception. While I'd still rather be in a spinning dervish of dancers, I am a fan of the drive in concept. Thanks much to the band and crew for their efforts to feed us our fuel!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Forum MVP
14 hours ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

It was nice to meet you and hang with you Saturday, acududeman. I agree, gr8ful pair, I like the drive in concept. It will be better after covid, masks, and having to stay in your quad. I hope they sprinkle some drive in shows throughout the tours even after all this Covid  passes by. 

Likewise Greg! I had a blast hanging with you guys. I too dig the drive-in show model!   🤠

• Forum MVP

Love hearing all the reports from all of you who were there...the  drive in experiments seems like solid success under the circumstances and I’m glad for everyone there who got dosed with such a hot weekend of music. The streams were great too...thankful they produced all three nights and each show had a lot to offer. It’s fun to be able to watch the band closer while streaming. Going As far back back as the Zen Trickster years,,I can’t recall ever seeing Mr. headband wearing a baseball cap...whenever the camera was on him he seemed to have quite a grin beaming from under that cap while beating on the keys 😃. The whole band seemed so stoked for the opportunity to play live right now...that was a great trio of shows.

For those that were there...It sounded fairly relaxed in terms of security etc...did you have to stay next to your car or was there any flexibility to wander over to some friends and hang with them for a bit? How many cars/peeps were in the venue? Do they let you bring in your own drinks to consume in and around the car? How was it out in the back rows? How much does it cost to get in? 
Just curious how it all works since this may be the modality going in to the spring...hoping they can make their way out west before too long...

Very stoked you guys got the solid goods for the Halloween blue moon weekend! 🔥 

• Forum MVP

I would say security was soft. I wandered off from my quad pretty much the whole time. Of course, I was fifty feet from being front and center so the pull was strong. If I was halfway back, I’d probably stay in me quad. No searching on the way in. You could bring anything probably. We each had our own cooler. No one looked. Security’s goal was to keep the lanes clear. Not sure why. Ambulances? They would chase you off occasionally but then again, I had wandered off. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Being able to bring your own booze in softened the blow of ticket prices. We wandered around from spot to spot to see friends. Security didn’t care what you did until your square had more than 5 in it and even then they walked off right after. But up front most people went in front of their cars leaving their square to the right empty so we could do as we please in multiple empty quads. Kept masks on most of the shows as it was cold. Back in the day we’d have to just have cold faces but now with masks we can act like we are wearing them strictly for safety reasons and not lose our machismo. I had my mask on plus a neck gaiter covering all but slits of my eyes at the end of show 3. If that show went an hour later it would have been brutally cold. That wind started to really blow the last 20 minutes of the show. It was nice to have the early show as we booked it out by 7am Monday. Great weekend. So glad we made the trip. That residence inn was packed with heads attending the show. Was sort of funny with all the tie dye masks rolling in on Friday. The front desk was perplexed by how busy they were on a weekend in these times. Our hotel neighbors had nitrous tanks pssshew-ing all weekend. I asked a guy if he could part with a balloon. He’s like sorry, you know, Covid. I was a tad confused by that but think I’m gonna use that excuse for lots of stuff. Can you spare some change. Sorry, you know, Covid. Do you have any extra beers. Sorry, you know, Covid. I’m pretty sure that can work on everything you need it to work on. Hey baby can you go rake the front yard. Sorry, you know, Covid. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • LMAO 1
  • Forum MVP
2 hours ago, chuckvegas said:

Roger that. And hopefully a FL run too.

I think the model will be 2-3 show drive in runs for a bit. That’s good for peeps who want to pop in for a weekend of shows and stay put. I still think 3 days in Miami sounds good or 3 days in January in the Coachella valley would be solid. 

• Forum MVP

I know a big ol’ amphitheater in Pompano Beach just made for social distancing. Or maybe a runway in Homestead. 

I remember a drive in theater in Stock Island (love the Keys) but it is kind of run down to the point of completely reclaimed by nature now. So it goes in south Florida.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

I’ve been beating the “DSO should do more multi-night runs in same spot” for quite a while....didn’t imagine it might take a pandemic to manifest that...but it sure does make even more sense than ever now. 2-3 night runs for all of next year could be just what the doc ordered on both sides of the rail...

• Like (+1) 4