Dark Star Jubilee 2023

Rude

I’m getting a bit old to be sleeping on the ground, so we got an Airbnb. We still need a parking pass for day trippers. Eventbrite was a bit confusing. I’m wondering if we need a separate $25 parking pass for each day? Anyone know?

thanks

joe

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, sgrmag2564 said:

I’m getting a bit old to be sleeping on the ground, so we got an Airbnb. We still need a parking pass for day trippers. Eventbrite was a bit confusing. I’m wondering if we need a separate $25 parking pass for each day? Anyone know?

thanks

joe

My understanding is that if you are parking by day and staying elsewhere at night you do need to purchase the $25 car camping pass in addition to your regular ticket 

4 hours ago, LangeradoSoul said:

My understanding is that if you are parking by day and staying elsewhere at night you do need to purchase the $25 car camping pass in addition to your regular ticket 

Thank you, wow, the first jubilee I attended was $60 bucks all in. 

• Forum MVP

Hartford fest being $135 early bird camping and festival kept me away. Both festivals were a week apart from each other. One of my touring friends from the dead found JHMF and I never recovered from Dark Star Orchestra leaving of Grateful fest at NLRQ. All will be well, esp with this weather forecast compared to what I've read of past Jubilees.

• Forum MVP
On 2/1/2023 at 8:52 AM, 5_dollar_Cumby said:

Does anyone have experience with VIP camping and not getting a car pass? Says there is a wooded area to camp in VIP without a car pass. Is this the area of trees that separates VIP and GA, or is there another wooded area in the back of VIP? I've went before and done VIP but it was all camp at car. TIA

It’s a nice wooded area to the left of the parking area of VIP. It looked shady and a good place to be. I camped in my Westy. 

• Forum MVP

Giddy up!! Will be on the road in 24 hours or so!!!! Jubilee is the best place on earth over Memorial Day weekend. The best overall place on earth is NOLA during jazz fest but jubilee is a close 2nd. Without Felix’s oysters it’s hard to say best place on earth unless Felix’s starts vending. I’m in for several dozen of the Rockefellers if they read this and decide to come up in 2024. 

• Forum MVP

Have Fun Jubilee People’s!  Wish I could go - but it is what it is.  The vibe there is real - so many smiling faces.  I usually dislike setting up camp but the energy from knowing you bout to chug from the endorphin Firehose for 3 days and nites, makes even that task fun!

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Nice sunny afternoon to yaws at the Jubliee, wish I could be there with you …maybe after all these medical things cool down.  Music is probably starting there by you. There’s a rumor out down south here that tonight’s opening song is “The Promised Land”.

Peacce and Love

Doc

• Like (+1) 1

I just want to say thanks to the band, Tim Walther productions, and everyone of you I met up with-I had a spectacular weekend, one of my favorite Jubilees yet. The shows each night were perfect, the crowd was perfect, and that Waffle House in Jeffersonville, Ohio on the way back home to KY was perfect (as always-its the standard by which all WH should be judged).

As long as Jubilee's continue, and as long as I can, I'll spend my memorial day weekend there. Thank you!

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Happy for any other Jubilee experiences, impressions, stories, reviews that folks can recall.  Happy for the band and crew that Jubilee was again successful!

I tell myself I'll get 'back to the garden' again - the annual son's birthday conflict will be less impactful since high school age is now here.  Gonna be tough to beat that weather !  Glad it was perfect   

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

We had the best time. Jubilee is just the best. Everyone from staff to vendors to the patrons are just top notch. I’d like to also thank the weather. It was also 5 star. We adopted a staff member with a golf cart to join our camp. He’s like I asked what to do and they said we will radio you if we need you and they never did so we met a new friend with benefits. Having a driver up and down the hill is sweet. He figured why not give peeps a lift to help if nothing else to do so we made a new friend. He was jamming with us during dso in his yellow jacket in the crowd lol. But every staff member had a smile besides maybe the overnight wristband checker at the gate. That’s a rough gig and he was the only staff that ever turned down a swig of good whiskey. I’m like bro you’re the one that needs it more than anyone at 3am in the chill. 

one of my favorite shows was Mattson and friends. Lisa, Jeff, skip and rob b and tom b with koritz popping in once in a while. It was such a fun setlist. I love hearing non dead songs done dead style. During masters of war, I couldn’t hold back a tear with Lisa singing it so angry. She really put her hatred of the senseless war and death into her singing and I was choking up the whole time it was so powerful. The last time I couldn’t control my emotions was Lisa breaking out chimes of freedom in Portland 2/2017 but that whole place had tears streaming. Skip singing the Kinks I’m an ape man is just perfect. He brings the fun to it. Rob b smoked the vocals on Dig a pony. I hadn’t heard that song in years. I was like holy shit they are playing deep cuts. 

here’s the set list 

Jeff Mattson & friends 5/28/23

Bright lights 
I want to tell you 
Ape man
Body parts
Take a letter Maria 

say that I am 

Carmelita
Dig a pony
Senor
Masters of war
3/5 of a mile in 10 secs 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Say I won't be coming home, gotta start a new life…

Take me to a circus tent
Where I can easily pay my rent

Those are two fine selections right there. I remember some deep tracks at JM and Friends in years gone by. I am happier for you all than I can tell.

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
6 minutes ago, chuckvegas said:

Say I won't be coming home, gotta start a new life…

Take me to a circus tent
Where I can easily pay my rent

Those are two fine selections right there. I remember some deep tracks at JM and Friends in years gone by. I am happier for you all than I can tell.

Send a copy to my lawyer, gonna start a new life

its cool to hear fun songs like that done jam style. Back at camp we tried to put the setlist together and were pretty close besides a Mattson tune and another we didn’t know and a few switched orders, so this was the corrected version from rob. Everyone usually dances at 30% capacity early in the day, but you couldn’t help but get down at 50% during this. Then we got Bruce and by the end of dso my legs were jelly. I told mei we need to push it as hard as we can and leave nothing here and we did. Now to reap the benefits of all that cardio exercise for a few weeks. After the music Sunday we were reminiscing how we became these dancing machines when doing a whole tour back in the day and we could go as hard as we wanted without tiring and would push the pace to give energy to others. This wasn’t that lol. We were beat. You know that feeling Chuck where you are dancing on air b/c you are living 4 hours of dance a night. Those cardio days seem like a dream lol. About 5 minutes in to a dancer I was on the struggle bus having to slow it way down lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

Was an awesome weekend for sure. Night three I staggered up to an opening in the crowd to get ready for DSO and looked around and was just surrounded by forum folks. Putting some more faces to names is always fun (even if I won’t remember the names). I feel bad sometimes for people who chase other dead bands and don’t know how good it can be. We are spoiled. This weekend is evidence. As long as I’m able, I will continue to not miss a jubilee

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP
46 minutes ago, Dead duck said:

Was an awesome weekend for sure. Night three I staggered up to an opening in the crowd to get ready for DSO and looked around and was just surrounded by forum folks. Putting some more faces to names is always fun (even if I won’t remember the names). I feel bad sometimes for people who chase other dead bands and don’t know how good it can be. We are spoiled. This weekend is evidence. As long as I’m able, I will continue to not miss a jubilee

that night 3 second set was as ridiculous as you can jam dead. There’s no one who can do what DSO does. All 7 musicians are working the interplay masterfully. They are the best in the biz and it’s not really even close. Then add in Cotter to make sure you can hear every instrument perfectly and you get the best dead band in the land and a band who can play dead as well as the dead did it. I don’t want to compare them to the dead since they created it and then there’s Jerry, but some of the jam segments were played as well as the dead ever played if not better. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
On 5/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, Island Bro said:

Rude,,I’ll try and keep an open mind about oysters from other regions but I do hope I get to introduce you to some super freshies from Hood Canal and Willapa Bay out in Western Wa….top notch bi-valve mollusks I must say…

we had an oyster lesson when in Nola in 2019. There are like 7 regions of the gulf that have different oysters. Acme oyster bar has the monster ones but they have almost no flavor. Felix’s are very small but taste wonderful. Of course I don’t remember names or anything like that considering you kill a lot of brain cells in nola

• Forum MVP
On 6/5/2023 at 7:56 AM, Rude said:

we had an oyster lesson when in Nola in 2019. There are like 7 regions of the gulf that have different oysters. Acme oyster bar has the monster ones but they have almost no flavor. Felix’s are very small but taste wonderful. Of course I don’t remember names or anything like that considering you kill a lot of brain cells in nola

Any talk of gulf oysters is proving Island Bro's point about how good they are from his 'hood.  That said, limiting one's self to the Pacific Northwest is ignoring the likes of Baja California, Humboldt, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. 

And in general the smaller the better.  I'm usually of the take that the more salinity the better.  What makes them so special is that they can evoke so much of the sea. Just a couple drops of lemon and you're good to go. Those big fuckers are meant to be grilled or broiled with stuff that gives them flavor. Sure, a good oyster bingo can be tasty, but it can never be magical. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Of course gulf oysters are a bit lazier and live a slower life than coastal oysters. Just just b/c they talk different doesn’t mean they are not equal. 

Felix’s are really small and amazing. It may be the most famous oyster bar in the country besides acme. We went to acme with Dr B and you couldn’t finish them they were so massive. We made a funny asking if we can take these with us. He said we are required by law to toss them after an hour if on the half shell and if you ate these tomorrow you’d be in the hospital. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Sweet thread drift 😁  I'm not an expert but I know a good raw oyster when it slides down just right.  A spritz of lemon and it's go time! 

After my sons middle school graduation yesterday, we walked downtown for dinner to a place called The Durham Food Hall.  It's like a food court for foodies - huge wrap-around bar!  Great vibe in that place:   A curry counter, Neapolitan spot, scratch kitchen 'taco bull', Asian inspired rice/noodle bowls, AND a fresh seafood counter - everything on ice.  Wednesday's happen to be $2 oysters - and they were damn good!  

Burp.

• Like (+1) 1