GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Seems like GD has the most complicated ticket system on the planet. For the 3rd tier of tix, we have to do a $25 background check as well as a formal in home inspection to prove we aren't scalpers.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so the GA section is small and where everyone wants to be but wrist bands are "dreaded"? If I get my GA ticket and it's so packed with seat folks that there isn't room to dance I'm going to be annoyed. Sorry. Sometimes rules are necessary. I fully support the venue being "square" about sections and seats to avoid 3 times the allotted number of people being on the floor. This is basically a lottery folks, you get what you get.

Whoa that sounds uptight. I did have some "stub down" or wandering guy steal my sunglasses at Rosemont 6 years ago when I went to get beer. Thankfully I was Fear and Loathinging that night but without the fear and didn't care at the moment. He must have thought that he was gathering what I had spilled.. in my jacket pocket. Good thing my wallet was in my pants pocket.

I didn't really think so but Ducats said saddest day of his life. That's my perspective on that.

Don't worry about not asking. I probably wouldn't have wanted to talk about it. Someone had to find him.

that was my proposal for Bobby's statement - my bad - sorry for the confusion

wonder if true for Bobby at the time

• Forum MVP

Well it looks like I'm in for Chicago...if I can get tickets.  My older brother has asked me to go with him for all three shows. He has never been to a Grateful Dead show. I few years ago I took him to his first Dark Star show in Albany where he now lives. I see this as a good fun adventure...especially being with my bother who I don't see that often... It might turn out like an adventure I had back in August of 1969 when I struck out in my old van to the big festival in New York. At that time we didn't know what we were getting into but it was fun...I can't really remember much of Woodstock but I've got all these mixed images in my head.  This time I might fly up to New York and then Cary and I will take the train west to Chicago.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

Tickets can be had if u shoot for the 215.50 ones. Those were by far the least requested based upon the hundreds of envelopes I saw. The pit will likely be a pipe dream. Good luck to people here who requested pit. Maybe at least one of us will pull pit seats for a show. Pricing the pit cheaper than seats 300 feet behind it seems sort of strange. Id take the expensive reserved if it's midway floor or closer but on a mail order there were tons of bad $215 seats looking at the seating chart and just wasn't worth doing for me. I also think the cheap seats(59+ fees) will be available if u are on when the sale starts. I'm guessing tix will be available no more than 10 minutes though. After that 5 minute window of holding tix while u fill out the forms expire a huge lot will also become available too. I'm thinking some who are bad with forms may get a pit ticket but let it be released at exactly 5 minutes into the big ticketmaster sale. I'm setting a timer lol. But again I ain't often right...

• Forum MVP

Sooooo I heard they received 60K+ envelopes requesting over 350K tickets through mail order. So they pushed back online sale date to feb 28 and are eliminating GD presale. It's a free for all.

leaving a lot of people out in the cold and a lot of money on the table by not adding some more shows it seems.

• Forum MVP

Sooooo I heard they received 60K+ envelopes requesting over 350K tickets through mail order. So they pushed back online sale date to feb 28 and are eliminating GD presale. It's a free for all.

leaving a lot of people out in the cold and a lot of money on the table by not adding some more shows it seems.

WOW. We're screwed. Eliminate all the blank scalper envelopes. My dad and his friends used to send in tons of envelopes for final four basketball mail order in hopes they got tix and they usually did. You know these big scalper agencies sent out TONS of envelopes. Eliminste that envelope that had like 70 points on the Lightning bolt on their steal your face lol. Now that leaves the 25k decorated ones. Still screwed :(.

• Forum MVP

So bored and googling I was trying to see what the chances of getting tix from tivketmaster based on its practices found this regarding a 2013 justin bieber show.

this fall, for example, it was reported that just 7% of tickets for a Justin Bieber concert in Tennessee were made available on the primary market, with the rest reserved for fan clubs, credit card member promotions, and resellers.

Note that ticketmaster owns a secondary scalping company and it reserves a portion of the ticket sales for their scalping arm. Looks like the beach is back on for the 4th. not sure if 1 day of shows will justify skipping a week on the carolina coast. I'm out of this thread til I hear from Gdtstoo as my negativity is taking over. I think I'm full blown conspiracy theorist tonight anyway.

• Forum MVP

Wow - no pre-sale! It's gonna be a free-for-all on the secondary market which is really a shame. While I appreciate the desire to try and fill as many mail orders, it also is telling that brokers and consolidators will end up being the big winners here.

There as also going to be a huge surge of fake tickets flooding the lots and clogging Craigslist. Given the apparently huge supply/demand imbalance, the fraudulent market will be as vibrant as anything this scene has ever witnessed. Equally as tragic but not surprising will be the prices these tickets will go for after the public sale is finished (5 minutes or less).

I wish everybody the best of luck in getting tickets. I also hope there is some modicum of preparation for the crush of humanity (250K strong I'll bet) that will decend on Soldier Field. It could get ugly folks. I'm honestly concerned what this could turn into based on some of the elements that will gravitate to this celebration.

Hoping for the best - trying not to fear the worst.  With 60K+ in mail-orders received I'm secretly hoping they add a few more shows out west just to relieve some of the pressure.

• Forum MVP

too bad. would like to go but fuck the scalper market. not gonna be worth it if I don't get the tickets I want and the price I want. I'm gonna try on feb 28th but I don't have much hope. best of luck people

"Wow! We re excited (and humbled) to discover that your enthusiasm for Fare Thee Well matches our own! We have received an overwhelming number of mail order ticket requests. In an effort to honor the history and spirit of the Grateful Dead, we are going to try to fill as many of these orders as possible. This means there will be no other pre-sales. In order to give the good folks at GDTS TOO time to sort through the 60,000+ (!) envelopes received so far the new public on sale is Feb 28th @ 10 a.m. CST via Ticketmaster."

"Tickets range in price from $59.50-$199.50. There will be a general admission pit directly in front of the stage (pit tickets are mail order only), a second general admission floor section behind the pit and reserved seating throughout the stadium"

I need a miracle.. just this one day!

So bored and googling I was trying to see what the chances of getting tix from tivketmaster based on its practices found this regarding a 2013 justin bieber show.

this fall, for example, it was reported that just 7% of tickets for a Justin Bieber concert in Tennessee were made available on the primary market, with the rest reserved for fan clubs, credit card member promotions, and resellers.

Note that ticketmaster owns a secondary scalping company and it reserves a portion of the ticket sales for their scalping arm. Looks like the beach is back on for the 4th. not sure if 1 day of shows will justify skipping a week on the carolina coast. I'm out of this thread til I hear from Gdtstoo as my negativity is taking over. I think I'm full blown conspiracy theorist tonight anyway.

This is fucked.

• Forum MVP

There's a facebook site I found that details ticketmasters arrangement with scalping agencies. They have contracts to sell them tics already. I've read that depending on the markup ticketmaster will take as much as 80-90% of the profit on these aftermarket tickets, not even counting that they own the 2nd largest ticket scalping company as well as stakes in 2 other smaller scalping companies. Been bored at work and was just curious how corrupt tivketmaster really was.

To stop scalping performers have tried to use ticketless transactions where you have to physically go to the venue and show ID then instantly enter the show. Big scalpers and ticket companies lobbied New Jersey to ban this practice and the legislation passed the ban with over 90% support.

Archived