R.I.P. JOSEPH

August West

• Forum MVP

Joseph Scovel who many of us knew well from the shows, passed away. He saw more DSO shows than anyone, and was certainly an interesting fellow. I had many crazy conversations, and times, with him througout the years. He will be missed. Rest easy brother.

Godspeed.

• Forum MVP

Guy had many facets. He was always very kind to me and we had some interesting conversations. At first, I thought he was a meek old guy but I found out he was at times the complete opposite.

Some younger kids were givin him a hard time about something and he absolutely went berserk on them. They slinked away and he immediately returned our sedate conversation.

A tour fixture - RIP Joseph! He'll be first in line for the great gig in the sky!

• Forum MVP

I first met Joseph in San Francisco. We went on a day trip adventure searching for the Redwoods which we eventually found near sundown time. He talked his way into the redwood park by being a disabled vet. I was a bit embarised by his argument with the gentleman at the ticket window ...especially when he pushed the issue saying I got in free too because I was his helper with his oxygen tanks.

Joseph saw ALL the shows.One year Joseph saw more shows than anyone...including the two drummers who had each missed a couple due to Dino's baby and whatever reason for Rob.   He was usually front and center, right there on the rail. Joseph traveled alone in his SUV that was packed solid with spare oxygen tanks. I don't know how he did it but for three years in a row he was able to park directly in front of Variety Playhouse in the no parking area.  There were several nights when Joseph and I played like Cats Under the Stars for several hours into the morning after the shows....checking out the young ladies at late night clubs along the way.

I think Joseph stopped doing the tours a couple years ago due to finding a nice lady friend in the far northeast where he had a home away from the road.  I will miss Joseph's friendship. He was a kind gentleman to all that deserved being a friend. He would especially look out for the younger ones...trying to keep them safe.

Peace and Love for Joesph,  who was one of the best friends I had.

Doc

• Forum MVP

Never really talked with him much but were sitting in our car in Nashville when a startling knock on the window occured.  It was joseph peddling 2.00 oatmeal cookies.  I said are those homemade.  He said no.  I said Ill give you 1.00 for 1.  I got a no lol.  I ended up buying 2 for 3.00 just in the GD spirit even though those were pretty bad store bought cookies that cost less than a nickel each.  RIP Joseph.

• Forum MVP

Well, goodnight Joseph. Maybe the nitrous finally got to you, maybe the road, maybe that young little chicky in upstate. Rest well brother. We connected several times over these short years, always bought a Cookie or three, as I know vans burn gas, and it does get cold, so the engine has to keep running.

It will be sad knowing your face and cookies are no longer around. No longer around.,..you will still be remembered brother!!

• Forum MVP

I met Joseph at what I believe to be his very first DSO show. If I recall correctly, I woke up in the tiny patch of grass in the parking lot at Higher Grounds (grass patch with light pole maybe) with Joseph rapping it up with my old tour buddy Frank. Frank told Joseph, he was going to have his mind blown. From the night in 2009 through about 2012, Joseph was without a doubt the most active showgoer in the DSO/GD community. I would say he took that mantle from Frank and I, but we acquired it from Chuck who got it from someone else. I know Bix, Steve C, the teach, and many others known and unknown have had their stretches and may have their stretches again. During Joseph stretch he toured the country with DSO like a man possessed.

His passion for this music, young hippy girls, and the occasional good time was palpable. He had a true passion for the road. It was also contagious. When I see an older guy keep pace with the young guys, I am generally impressed. Hairy Brian and Chuck come to mind with the way they keep their energy up the whole show despite their advanced age. I hope to some day be able to replicate what their doing. Joseph dedication to the road was beyond impressive. At his age, he routinely slept in his van at rest stops. He withstood the cold and the heat of van living beyond what I see most younger people capable of. Joseph never did see all the shows in one year. He skipped the 4 Texas shows the year he was closest. He, like many hippies, had an aversion for that bastion of conservative glory. Most of the time I spent with Joseph was due to a desire of mine to extend kindness to old man and help him get out of the van.

Joseph spent a week on my couch in Georgetown around graduation time May 2010. Joseph and his oxygen tanks were in the living room on the pull out when mom and dad showed up with a razor and told me I needed to clean up for my graduation. We shared many a good story and a good laugh. If 10% of the stories he told are true, he lived a fuller life than most. If 50% our true, he lived a very rare life. If the stories are almost all true, Joseph might actually qualify as the most interesting man in the world. That I'm not sure of. No one I knew knew Joseph from dead tour. I never met any of military buddies. We certainy didn't share any ladies, although I seen him with some in my target age range. Of course, I have no reason to believe Joseph a liar, but I suspect he may have been prone to some embellishment. This matters not Joseph was a legend in his own right.

I had the privilege of introducing Joseph to several band members. One particular occasion, I believe Eaton, Barraco, and Lisa needed a ride from venue for dinner in a mountain town in Colorado. After some quick rearranging of oxygen tanks, he loaded them up in his van and got them to dinner. Joseph was truly a kind soul. He was willing to help those that play for us, but I also like others have mentioned always saw him go the extra mile for the young kids, but even more so, Joseph had a kind place in his heart for the lost boys. The troubled kids. The broken the fragile. Those that could use some support and a kind ear. This might be his greatest attribute. He showed kindness to those that needed it the most. He was truly a good man and I know several people that will miss him very very much.

I would be remiss not to mention Joseph's surliness. Joseph, like myself, took this music very seriously. He had a place upfront on the rail and it was his. He stood his ground. He told people to fuck off. He told people to shut the fuck up. He certainly wasn't the nicest about it all the time, but he was generally right. I'd seen him get heated outside the show a few times too. He definitely abused his handicap for any and all advantages he could. True Abbie Hoffman steal this book kind of guy. He used his handicap to work the system to get as much as he could for free. I'd seen it. Doc saw at the Redwoods. Its not who I am and I too had been an embarrassed handler. I certainly didn't turn down the benefit and I could never knock someone for doing what they need to do to get by and get down the road. I know I've stayed at the KOA for free.

Joseph looked near death at JK's last shows in Buffalo. He stayed with us there. It was ungodly cold. I walk fast. I especially walk fast when I'm jazzed up. It was JK's last show you can guess where my headspace was, but I had to stop every 10 or 15 steps so he could catch his breathe. He seemed really fragile. He also truly appreciated life and lived it the fullest for the next 6 years.

I love you Joseph. I hope you know that many will miss you and remember you. I wouldn't be disappointed if I spend the last 6 years of my life as you did yours. You were a remarkable man.

Spent many shows on the rail with Joseph by my side or close by. Always a safe harbor and we shared many crazy stories. Saw him everywhere, every time, I went to a show, no matter the coast. He was an interesting, kind, and gentle yet kick ass kind of a man. We will miss him immensely. May the four winds blow him safely home...your spirit will be remembered and celebrated.

R.I.P. Joseph...

I was saddened upon hearing of Joseph's passing. Like many I have experienced the many antics of an icon of a tour head. I remember seeing Joseph at a gratefulfest about 7 -8 years ago looking like he would not live through the day. I have a few Joseph stories I will tell. Front rail somewhere... Territorial as usual he got into it with this guy that invaded his space and finally he grabbed the guys package and squeezed as hard as he could. As this interlopers eyes bulges out and on the verge of collapsing, Joseph had mercy on him and let go then very gently said get the fuck out of here...

Penn's peak two guys right before Showtime crowded his space and Joseph used a different tactic. He came in close with his arm around the guy, his body pressed side to side he slid his glasses down and gazed into the guys eyes giving the impression that he had some interest in him. Both guys quickly got out of there and all that witnessed this were rolling with laughter at this inovative way to get them to leave.

Cookies...

Once after a show Florida I was completely worn out and there's Joseph selling cookies. Having no cash on me but wanting nourishment I ask for 2 cookies - will pay him next time and he refused... I didn't understand this but that was Joseph. About a year later in Vermont I think, after show Joseph and cookies... I gave him 5 dollars and told him I didn't want any cookies that night but may want one some other time when I didn't have $ on me. Another year goes by and he comes up to me and insist on me taking the cookies I paid for previously, he didnt forget ... I have had philosophical conversations with him and talked with him on the phone between tours to check up on him. I think a certain sadness would hit him when not on tour... Joseph was ornery, kind, comical and loved this music.

You will be missed brother....

• Forum MVP

For those who know me and knew him we had some differences....and similarities.

Although never having the amazing streaks of several of you I amazingly know almost all

and the longest uninterrupted as we all agree belongs to this man.

I "miracled" him more than once

Bitched at him more than once

Trusted him like a brother more than once

Will miss him

R.I.P.

I was taken back when I read this the other night.  I only knew Joseph from the shows.  The first time I met him was at Buffalo he was trying to use the "disabled vet card" to get in, and he did!.  I never knew him to have a ticket, and was always shocked to know that he would drive his van hundreds of miles with the chance of not getting in, but he always did.  He really was a vet and I think he liked serving but what pissed him off most was the fact that it made him miss 4 years of Dead shows in the early 70's. Any Head knows looking back what a chance to go to those shows meant.  One story he told me (I don't think he would mind if I re tell) was when he was living in San Fran in the late 70's he had an apartment within walking distance from where the dead would often play. After the show he would invite girls back to his place where he would remove all the furniture from the kitchen and put down 2 bottles of Wesson cooking oil on the linoleum floor and literally have an ORGY!! on acid slippin around on the linoleum. That's something most of us can only dream about.  Joseph lived that out loud!!  He once told me that he retired in his 40's and spent all his time and money touring (not bad if ya can swing it) The man lived on his own terms and lived life that I can only get a sneak peek at 4 or 5 times a year.  (shows not orgies)

The 2nd time I met him was after a show at Penns Peak in Jim Thorp PA.  He was selling cookies out front of the "Shakedown.  I was soo excited because here was this "ol Sage if you will was on the bus since the early 70's, his cookies were must be awesome!!, So I started to ask him "hey man how long do they take to kick in, how long do they last, how many do I eat at once?  He just started to laugh and said "there just regular cookies, I need gas money to get home. After I laughed my ass off too I bought 3 anyway just to help out.

The last time my friend Scott and I saw him was the Buffalo show in May of this year. They would not let him into the show because of an "altercation" that  supposedly went down earlier that year.  I felt so bad for him he was almost in tears and told me "that all I have left is this music" I went to the front and tried to ask to them to give him a pass, They would not. I asked another official no avail, He told me there is just some things you cant come back from. I negotiate for a living and tried a 3rd time to the point of almost getting kicked out myself that night.  To this day I feel so bad I wasn't able to get him in that night.

Joseph was a character and a staple of the DSO shows, his energy, lifestyle and passion is  admired and he will be missed.

• Forum MVP

Dude...the hot wesson oil. Really? That was not just Joseph, and I learned thst from a older taper guy in my teens. Finally tried it in college. Hmm,...silly comment, but i have never heard anyone else doing this.

Perhaps a story passed from others, or maybe olive oil was not in dad then. Much better for your skin then vegetable oil.

Regardless, its awesome to read these post. Makes me tear smile for Joseph. It's nice to touch people, for good or bad,but to carve your name in other minds, enough, that when you pass this world, others offer their energy for sentiments of the past.

Its nice to be remembered, and it's just as nice to remember. Joseph offered me much self reflection. Life was on his terms, but was that something I ever saw for myself? Than I caught myself judging, and then more reflection, and than more judging. I remember the first time I saw him at DSO, I felt bad for him. Bought cookies, and a double tip. Than I saw him at every dso show I went to for the next 2 years. I stopped tipping, as he was hitting more shows than I could imagine:)!!!

He got around, and maybe he did choose that life. It seemed to work out for him. He might of got some disability from the military. I am. Pretty sure his cookies did not pay for all his music, gas, food, nitrous, etc....

As much as it's nice for strangers to shake each other's hand, it just as nice to have a Norm in every scene, as familiar faces and good friends is what makes the scene family, Joseph was the first regular for me with DSO.

Sorry about the ramble, but maybe one day I hope someone takes the time and rambles about me, as I feels good to do it for the cookie man. I will say, Joseph did blow me off the first time I bought cookies. He was not into chatting with my cheesy goofy ass newbie grin. It was sort of funny, but over time, as many do, warmed up to me, and I believe got my last cookies from him at Hampton Beach, last time I saw him, and he looked pretty good, think I even commented to rick about him looking better.

Peace Joseph, i am sad to lose a sage. A brother of a large family.

THE WESSON OIL STORY CAME RIGHT FROM HIM AT THE PALACE THEATRE IN SYRACUSE (NOT ALBANY) WICH BY THE WAY IS AN AWSOME PLACE TO SEE DSO.  HE TOLD ME AND SCOTT THAT AND YEARS LATER WE ARE STILL CUTIN UP ABOUT IT.  AS YOU SAID THAT MIGHT NOT HAVE BEEN 68 YEAR JOSEPH, BUT IN 1975 28 YEAR OLD JOSEPH WAS SEX,DRUGS AND GRATEFUL DEAD.....GOD BLESS HIM, I'M JELOUS AS HELL

RIP MY HEADY FRIEND

Archived