Songs you wish the dead would have covered

Rude

• Forum MVP
7 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Am I out of bounds to say "Songs that I wish the Grateful Dead did NOT cover"

Really thinking of the later years here.  I certainly could have done without "Matilda" and 'That Would be Something".

Could be a good thread if it’s own.

Although not sure I have any to add to it 🙃

Yesterday listening to Sirius, they played Baba O-Riley > Tomorrow Never Knows. Baba is a good tune for Vince to sing, especially if you are at the show. But TNK? I just don't get it. Yea it had some nice drum beats and Jerry threw in some nice guitar work but the song itself, I just don't get it, and to play that as the last song of the evening? That would have me kicking a can all the way back to my vehicle wondering what was that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Back Feb. 1997 Went to see Emmyou with the Raliegh ,NC symphony,two shows, Fri and sat. Upon entering they handed us a playbook stating Helen Reddy's songs for the night. I asked an usher what that meant. She said Helen Reddy was replacing ELH. I replied no she's not, she can't be replaced. They refunded out tickets and gave us free seats for HR, three songs in we left, it was a low point in my concert career. Paid off when I told Emmylou what happened during her March spring tour in Kalamazoo. She put me on the guest list for the upcoming sold out Saturday night show at Park West in Chicago, then was invited backstage after the show to share two more bottles of wine with her and a couple of other friends. Needless to say I am not a Helen Reddy fan and from then on got to sit in her soundtracks that year catching 15 more shows.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Ammagamalin Crew said:

Back Feb. 1997 Went to see Emmyou with the Raliegh ,NC symphony,two shows, Fri and sat. Upon entering they handed us a playbook stating Helen Reddy's songs for the night. I asked an usher what that meant. She said Helen Reddy was replacing ELH. I replied no she's not, she can't be replaced. They refunded out tickets and gave us free seats for HR, three songs in we left, it was a low point in my concert career. Paid off when I told Emmylou what happened during her March spring tour in Kalamazoo. She put me on the guest list for the upcoming sold out Saturday night show at Park West in Chicago, then was invited backstage after the show to share two more bottles of wine with her and a couple of other friends. Needless to say I am not a Helen Reddy fan and from then on got to sit in her soundtracks that year catching 15 more shows.

Wow, I am surprised to hear Helen Reddy had you leaving 3 songs in. I was only 5 y/o in Feb 1997 but have come to love Helen Reddys music and story as an adult. I've watched live performances and was impressed. She strikes me as a performer with a minimalist approach to the stage, just about singing, not all the extras. Alas, to each their own! I am curious to hear more about how she was live when you caught her. 

• Forum MVP

When you hook up with mutual Emmylou Harris fans and drive the 12 hours. We were especially psyched for the symphony backing. Her songs can be charted for amazing results with a full symphony. My first show was Emmylou with the Ft Collins symohony in 1987, we really needed  ELH that night. Imagine going to see Garcia and Kahn and instead Ray Coniff Jr. Is there? Nothing against HR; however, when on the trail nothing compares. HR probably put on a good show, we drove back to Salisbury heavy hearted.

Big drift,

Brent singing 40,000 Headman

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always thought that at some point, Dead & Co would have given Mayer the green light to sing one of his own. Maybe John would come out by himself after drums and lead a space segment into "Gravity" or one of his many other awesome tunes???  I bet John didn't push it...  🧐

It took a few years, but Jerry and the boys let Bruce eventually sing one or two.

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Wharf Rat Stu said:

Maybe John would come out by himself after drums and lead a space segment into "Gravity" or one of his many other awesome tunes??? 

Mayer is an accomplished song-writer and a very talented guitarist.  I tried to drop my preconceived notions and give some of his stuff a try.  Just not my cup of tea (I'm trying be really nice).  His solo catalog is way outta my demo, I guess.

All of this to say - if I found myself at a D&C waltz and they dropped-in Gravity anywhere, it would be Miller Time and a trip to the loo.  Not trying to insult anyone (other than Mayer) by saying this, but:  The tone and cadence of this voice insults me.  Sorry, John.  I'm still happy you got bit by the grateful dead bug, though.  He gets it, I think.

19 minutes ago, Tea said:

Mayer is an accomplished song-writer and a very talented guitarist.  I tried to drop my preconceived notions and give some of his stuff a try.  Just not my cup of tea (I'm trying be really nice).  His solo catalog is way outta my demo, I guess.

All of this to say - if I found myself at a D&C waltz and they dropped-in Gravity anywhere, it would be Miller Time and a trip to the loo.  Not trying to insult anyone (other than Mayer) by saying this, but:  The tone and cadence of this voice insults me.  Sorry, John.  I'm still happy you got bit by the grateful dead bug, though.  He gets it, I think.

Tea, that is fair enough.  I appreciate, and can handle constructive feedback. Cheers!

• Forum MVP

So, I was thinking recently about all of this unattractiveness towards Dead and company, Bobby singing Jerry tunes, how slow they play them, etc. I think the bottom line to all of this is nothing more than a testimonial to just how great Jerry was and how much the fortunate of us that got to experience his performances really do miss him. He really was that incredible. You had to be there. He wasn’t the best at what he did, he was the only one who did what he did. 

49 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

So, I was thinking recently about all of this unattractiveness towards Dead and company, Bobby singing Jerry tunes, how slow they play them, etc. I think the bottom line to all of this is nothing more than a testimonial to just how great Jerry was and how much the fortunate of us that got to experience his performances really do miss him. He really was that incredible. You had to be there. He wasn’t the best at what he did, he was the only one who did what he did. 

Totally agree.  And it is amazing and good to see 18 yr olds at a DSO Show (or otherwise) sing every tune, word for word; they get it! 

It lets this old crusty wharf rat know that this music is in good hands and will be around for quite some time. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Wonder if barraco can do a British accent. If so he definitely needs to do Be My Girl—Sally by the police, just the spoken part while playing around on the keys during a tuning or an equipment issue. :))