RIP Herdy🙏

Brian NJ

This is a sad day :( 

His sister said ashes will be flown back to Maryland and she will have a memorial. I mentioned he was planning on doing Frederick shows and she said that would be the perfect weekend for the memorial so that close friends can attend. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Herdy was a wonderful friend. Years ago you could find him at almost every show laughing and danceing around. It is sad that another brother has moved on to higher lands where the music plays and there is always plenty of dance space. We will miss you, Herdy

peace and Love,

Doc

• Like (+1) 1

When I discovered DSO and came onto the scene, I knew of Herdy as a staple who had been around for a while. Although he had stepped back a bit from shows at that time, I was able to meet him and get to know him better over the years. It was such a pleasure every time I saw him. An absolutely hilarious guy and always smelled incredibly good for a hippie. A complete teddy bear. So sad to have lost a brother like that. Truly a great loss to the whole DSO community. I saw him briefly at the last Red Rocks show. I wish I had spoken to him longer. I always feel that way when someone goes. If anything, it is a great reminder to appreciate the ones we have in the moments we have them. RIP Herdy. May your cloudy dreams be real.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

So sad to hear of his passing this morning. A fixture of the DSO community that welcomed me with open arms and was nothing less than a barrel of laughs to be around. My condolences to everyone in his family and our family here. He'll be missed by all who knew him. We'll all have to do our part to keep his spirit alive and leave the next show just a little more sweaty. Let the herdy gerdy play 😢

• Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

Shaka when the walls fell.

I just don't have the words.  Feeling really sad.  I have so many memories.  I think I first saw Herdy post on the DSO forums way back in 2000.  He's a true OG and to say I'm gonna miss him is an understatement of understatements.  The world sucks right now and it's up to us to make new positive memories as that's what Herdy would have wanted.  He'd want us to smile and dance to the music with extra gusto if there was a Hammond B3 being played 

Miss you old friend

IMG_4758.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

• Advisory Board

Sad, sad news. 

Herdy was a backbone on the scene before I ever got here in 2001. We became friends on the Forums before we ever met in person. Like many have said he was one of the friendliest and kindest people around. Always a smile and a laugh to share. Always a hug to give. Always an example of what it means to be “good” and accepting of others. And welcoming. 

Its been such a terrible year of loss in so many ways for everyone and a time that will  define a chapter in all of our lives. Our generation’s first real worldwide calamity and it has claimed many hopes and dreams and lives. And to lose Herdy at what we hope may be the tail end, when we can see some light at the end of the tunnel, and while the weather reminds us of return is just so much more tragic. 

As its been said, let’s take the time to remember to let the people that we know around us that we love them and cherish them. That their lives mean so much to us and to try and not take it all for granted. 

Herdy will be missed. 

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

Oh Herdy...may the four winds blow you safely home old friend. Truly devastating to hear this news today. Herdy was a force of nature. His contagious laughter, his zero fucks to give, his huge heart, his generosity; too many positive traits to list here. When I was a young buck I worked two part time minimum wage jobs while being a full time college student in Oklahoma so I could travel to see as many DSO shows as possible without becoming homeless or flunking out of college (pretty much had to "get on jets to see a cover band" living in Oklahoma - you NE people have always had it so good!). There was no way I could have racked up as many shows as I did back then if it weren't for people like Herdy. It really all goes back to the ledges, doesn't it? My first ledges was 2006 and that was where I met most of you in person for the first time. We had bantered so much on the forums, it felt like we were already the closest of friends. Herdy instantly took me under his wing. He would let me stay at his bunk ass farm house (yard bowling, anyone?), he would pick me up from the airport, he would let me tag along on tour, he would show me a good time in bumfuck Harford County Maryland on the days off. Hanging with Herdy made me feel like one of the cool kids for the first time in my life.

From New York to San Francisco, from Amsterdam to Jamaica, I traveled the world with that crazy man. His job was to shed light. I will never forget him. He introduced me to all of you - and I will forever cherish the times we had. With each other. With Herdy mothafuckin Gerdy.

Herdy was the glue. We're all better people because of him. He taught us how to have fun, how to be ourselves. At least he won't ever have to pay that Buffalo Marriott back for the smoking fine from JK's last show (I told them it wasn't our fault - it was the damn Canadians!).   

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

It does all come down to the Ledges and Harford County (I am a proud honorary citizen) and the Ledges.

Neon Jesus? There are pics floating around out there somewhere...

Cam: “He’s like Buddha but without the clarity.”

Nothing left to do but...

It’s been years since I posted on here, but I felt called to reconnect with this community today after hearing about the loss of our friend Herdy. He was one of the first people I met in the DSO community, and having also grown up in Maryland, I feel like I’ve known him for forever. Even though we haven’t talked in a while, his loss today still hit me like a ton of bricks. He is just one of those people with infectious, fun, and loving personalities. While I have a million Herdy stories that I’ll treasure forever - most involve mischief and mayhem :) - what will stick with me is his big laugh and his love. I am lucky to have known him, and heartbroken that I will never get the chance to see him again. 

Jenna

• Like (+1) 6