Musical Questions

anddave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Fun thread but I think I'm ready for Favorite Movie Quotes or caziest things you ever saw at a show. I'll wait until this has run its course though...

Ooh I like that one. Craziest things seen at a show. Start 'er up. U get honors.

• Forum MVP

Real ?   Why was the Captains guinnees to few for Peggy-O?   I asked this to others today, but only offered food for thought.

Anyone know why a Captain (officer/prestigious)  with command and ideally owner of own vessel.   How much did your mom want Peggy?

Someone share there insights, if they have some to share:}

• Forum MVP

What gets me about Peggy-o is that William tells her that he's too poor and when she agrees he says he's gonna come back and kill everyone. They should be rejoicing when he died IMO. Sort of a strange song when u really look deeper.

• Forum MVP

That's not quite right, rudedogggg.  Peggy tells William that he is too poor (or more specifically that her mother would consider him too poor).  So he says that rather than set all the ladies free after their marriage he's instead going to burn them to the ground as revenge for being spurned.  So I'm guessing they may indeed have been rejoicing at his death.

William-O, being a captain of an army, threatens to burn down Peggy-O's cities and "destroy (i.e. kill/rape) all the ladies in the area-O" if she will not marry him. At first he promised Peggy-O he would free her cities and the people, but she refuses to marry him, so he resorts the threatening her city and its people. To avert the destruction of her town Peggy-O marries William. William later goes off to battle and die. How he dies I do not know, nor do I have any idea what happens to Peggy-O after William's death. That is how I see it. That is at least a "plot summary" of sorts. The consequences and meanings behind each characters' actions in the song is left up to the interpretation of the invididual listening.

Peggy-O maybe just makes up an excuse of William's guineas being too few for Peggy-O's mother. I don't think Peggy-O wants to marry a man who has been destroying her country and killing her people. It seems Peggy-O may have been a maid, not sure if that interpretation is true, but if that is the case then clearly the amount of William-O's guineas is not a factor in Peggy-O's decision to marry him.

I think Peggy-O is a noble character.

• Forum MVP

This song is such a favorite and means so much to so many of us that it must deeply touch archetypes. It possibly has more cultural richness associated with it than most other GD songs; the literature is fascinating.

And I know they do things a little different down in the Louisiana country-O.

• Forum MVP

Don't be weird about this Mr. Vegas, but I want to be locked in a room with you for hours in a the Bellagio jamming GD, and draining your brain pan so that my in is more filled!!!

Yes, I agree, there is much more to the words of the music, and I think Cosmic Mike gave me some good insight.   I move through these stories at face value at first, than I go deeper.   I have yet to do this with Peggy o......why, cause I love the music so much behind it, that I admittedly get lost in the music more than the words,

Thanks guys for some good evening marinating on a song I have so cherished, but yet to break down.

Many times I forget that so much of this music has levels of understanding that it would take a trip up to Franklins Tower to witness the multiple wavelengths of meaning.  Thanks guys for giving me some deeper insight to explore!!!!   Mentally, and academically its helpful.   And to think I could get any deeper in my dance to Peggy-O.   Cant wait to give it a whirl::

Forum drift.   Hope you all in most of country are warm and safe from the cold wind and snow:}!!!!!!!!!!!!!     

Captain William came to Fennario to rape and pillage, he spied Peggy-O

He said "Baby your so fine you blow my mind, marry me and I won't burn down your town and pass your sisters around".

she said "I would but you aint got enough bread" - and Mama'd be pissed!

The Cap'n replied "What would your mama think if she hears my coins clink and sees what a stud I am!

Alas and alack it wasn't to be. He vowed if he ever came back He'd tear shit up and ravage all the women.

So the Captain and his soldiers rode away in despair, sweet Willliam is buried somewhere in the timbers of Fennario in a black and bloody mire, murdered by a Dire Wolf

This is the story as it was passed down thru history as originally told by my "distant" Cousin - River Rat, who was a Corporal in Captain William's Brigade.

Archived