DSO drive in shows!! Sept 5-6 in Philly

Hardpan

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
Shows!!
See you in Philly Labor Day weekend - Live-In Drive-In at Citizens Bank Park - Sat. Sept. 5 & Sun. Sept. 6!
We will get by at our pair of socially distanced, TWO SET, LIVE shows enjoyed from your car - each car buys just one ticket, good for up to four (4) people per vehicle.
Details & tickets: phillies.com/drivein
On sale this Friday, July 24 at 10 AM ET.

I wonder how it would be enforced, too. Just booked a room for the two nights, gonna give it a shot. It will be a break from the doldrums, even if we have to stay in the car. Might get a lil strange in there but I think it’s gonna be a lot of fun.  I’m over here brainstorming on how to build a railed platform out of plywood and 2x4s I can attach to the roof rack on my truck, and whether we can get away with being up there 😁

I thinks it’s awesome that DSO was booked for two nights in the prime spot on Labor Day weekend and they’re closing out the concert series

• Forum MVP

I’m fucking there. That’s my home turf for Grateful Dead shows. That parking lot is hallowed ground. So many memories.  I’m building a deck for the roof of my SUV. Julie Andrews dance size! Caught a Jerry band show at the spectrum on Sunday of Labor Day weekend in ‘89, I think. So laid back. I walked up to the box office and got a ticket. In ‘89! Whatch out for Sunday shows!

It looks like there are a bunch of concerts scheduled there (CBP parking lot) for August.  Maybe we'll get to see how they're enforcing the "in the car" policy.  Wonder if it includes truck beds?  Lawn chair in a tuck bed would be doable.  Sitting in your car for 4 hrs, doesn't sound very pleasant.  Not to mention it still gets hot around here in Sept. (maybe not so much at night).  Wouldn't be too great if a thousand cars are sitting idling in the parking lot with their air conditioners on.   Plus they're gonna have to have bathrooms to use.  Maybe you just take your time walking to and from the bathrooms.  That gives you 20 mins to stretch your feet and get some dancing in.

• Forum MVP
12 minutes ago, sml said:

I can listen to music in my car at home - If I can't dance with and hug all you lovely people, what's the point?...

Not being able to enjoy the live music with dancing is a non starter. 
Would rather stream and dance and that’s getting very old.

Will be cathartic for the band though....good for them!!!

If I find out dancing is definite then....

40 minutes ago, sml said:

I can listen to music in my car at home - If I can't dance with and hug all you lovely people, what's the point?...

That’s all true. Still possible to coordinate lining up together in cars to hopefully park next to friends, etc. It’s gonna be strange! But still a way to be together and help the band post the , etc. Should be an interesting experience unique (hopefully) to the pandemic. 

1 hour ago, sml said:

Also, I think being at a drive in increased the chances for a Picasso Moon quite a bit 😁

I think it's dumb and will probably be cancelled - But if not I'll be there.

They can't arrest us all ;3

I'm extremely sheltered from the News and whatnot, but aren't things getting worse right now, like everything's shutting down again?...

Think of all of us that will have to lie about the post flight quarantine restrictions...

The slowness of corona season has been such a blessing for humanity and the planet - I cannot understand why everyone is so eager to get back to the highpaced shitshow of modernity...

I need shows as much as anyone, but for me it's about real human contact and interaction - Without this it feels like just another cashfarm.

If this is really what people want, why not just charge for live streams?  Then there's no risk and I imagine the band takes a bigger cut.

I really hope that someone's intent is otherwise, that someone setting this up knows what the heads like me need and will make space for it.

I may be totally wrong but I'm a~

• Forum MVP

Yeah Scottie they are getting worse. Some 200 people have lost their jobs for every person who has died. It’s getting bad out there for people financially. I feel for the sick but mortgages have to be paid and kids have to be clothed and that’s not an equitable ratio. That’s going to destroy all our livelihoods for years to come.  It will trickle down to most eventually unless you are amazon. Turns out about 3 million people die every year in America. Who knew. And we just keep working. We should shut down every year.... Fuck trump btw. 

• Forum MVP

Sorry for the negativity. I’m in the same boat Dso is I.  My business is mass gatherings and my next event is April 2021. I’m fucked. I’m mad. I’m stressed and worried. The leadership at the top is lacking if I’m being nice and in order to sign the nect stimulus plan, a WH requirement is to cut funds for testing. Umm. Yeah. We are in good hands.  

btw the FAQ says you can dance outside your car. And when have deadheads ever followed the rules. We’ve been to a sitting required show since lockdown and not 1 person sat. 

another part of the FAQ is funny.  Things that are allowed. Liquor, fireworks and illegal drugs are allowed it seems lol. 

• Forum MVP

Last time I was in philly was fall tour 1993. It was the first and only time I did a three night run alone, but my sister lived in lansdale so I had a place to stay. And once in the lot I had hundreds of friends. I started touring emmylou in 1994. Took my mom for a 6 show roadtrip. First time I started talking with emmylou after the shows. By 96 she was letting me in for 30 minute soundchecks. In Knoxville,  right after my dad had passed away,  she stayed on stage after everyone else left and played a solo acoustic song that really hit home. That was October 2000. My mom passed away Friday morning July 17th 2020. The best 56 year relationship I've had. I got her, my sister and her husband lawn tickets for thr 85 riverbend show. I was 3rd row. She also went with me to Daniel Lanois in Nashville in and halfway through the show she looked at me with a big smile and said this is intense! No one else went to talk with Daniel after the show.  I thanked him for creating Shine and he asked what does it do to you? His shoes were bound with duct tape. Back to the drive in topic.  I bet it will be fun. If you can afford it it's a no brainer,  heads always fun. Glad to see the band continuing. 

Hi everybody,

Here in St.Louis we have had a "few" of these "shows"

This is a small video from the most recent show:   

Hope this gives everybody a "feel" of  what these "shows" are like... Like they say: "beggers can't be choosers" this is all we got for awhile. 

Enjoy the afternoon everybody   

• Forum MVP

Facebook is a cesspool of idiots. Evidently some people think if people are allowed to get out of their car in a parking lot that leaves an empty space every other car, is so unsafe and contributing to the health emergency. How irresponsible is it if people can leave their car in a parking lot. Shame Dso 😂. People are now insane. No one should evidently ever leave their homes. You definitely shouldn’t go to the grocery as they don’t leave every other spot empty and god forbid you go inside to get groceries. 

The public shaming and people thinking that artists can just go a year without making any money because its not “essential” has gone too far. Any artist that wants to pay their bills is now complicit it seems. It doesn’t matter what safety measures are put into effect, it will never be enough for the trolls. They can care less what businesses close forever or who loses their homes. They will shame us into nonexistence. Nothing in life is “safe”. You can only be careful which we all try to do anyway so we don’t get in car wrecks or fall off a cliff. But to ban cars or ban hiking goes too far. That is the level we are at. Ban it all because of a risk. People being wiyh their group outside of their car is evidently too risky. I’m fed up. 

• Forum MVP

This is just as much for the band, if not more, than it is for us. Don't kid yourself. People need to make money, and I have no problem with that.

I need some clarity on what is permitted as I want to respectful of the safety guidelines set forth and my neighbors at the show. The FAQ says you must remain in the vehicle for the entirety of the show but also states that each car will have a 17' x 17' space; one half is for the car and the other half is to be socially distant from your neighbor. The only example they list for leaving your vehicle is to use the restroom.

I'd love to go but I also want to enjoy myself and the music. Not sure if this will be for me but I'll just have to wait and see.

No outside booze or illegal drugs allowed but when has that ever stopped someone. If you can dance outside the car, I'll likely be there. Though sucking on someone's exhaust doesn't sound too appetizing.

Archived