Drums/Space

Low Spark
Viola Lee

UJB reprise

E: Mission in the Rain

*Bobby Weir on rhythm guitar

Edited by Dharmada
  • Like (+1) 8

About 15 mins before showtime I heard whispers that Bob is here. Where is he, etc. Then I got some water after Music and there was talking and a loud cheer. I came back and Bob was on stage. 

Lisa was on for most of Bob’s songs though Eaton was not. The tempo was obv different but I’d say it skewed towards DSO than DeadnCo.
No SSDD btw. 

yeah Mission was a great capper to the California run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

Last I remember Bobby Weir playing with them was 2/11/14 at Great American Music hall. 

what a thrill! I’m glad to see Viola in the mix . I miss her. I had talked of coming to visit and my friend Rose but I’ve been setting up a new office. Playing my cards as they are dealt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Blindman said:

Now the important question: Did Bob let Jeff sing the Dew?

Nope.

Bobby sang all of the songs he was present for.

And he apparently also requested that they play everything Dead and Slow style.  Videos embedded in the story linked below.

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-weir-dark-star-orchestra-san-francisco

• Thanks (+1) 1

Oh man.......I love Bobby as much as anything in this world.  However, I actively have chosen to skip his performances for the past 10 years.  From Day one of all post Jerry iterations, it has astounded me that Bobby sang Jerry tunes.  Bobby butchers them by trying to adapt his lyrical style to Jerry tunes and it doesn't work.  Combine that with the slow pacing of recent years.....no good.

I don't go to DSO shows to see novelty acts.  I attend so I can experience a transcendent musical and physical experience.  I would not have been a happy camper if I was at this concert.  Most especially if I traveled any distance or made any special personal arrangements to attend.  

I think it's a great gesture to bring Bobby on stage.  But I think DSO made a HUGE mistake by having Eaton leave the stage and Bobby take over.  Bobby should have been a special guest on stage playing alongside Eaton, and he should have played within the framework of what DSO does.  Instead, they chose to compromise the quality of the music they presented to fans on that night.  We pay to see DSO perform Grateful Dead music.  What I saw on these videos is not on par with DSO at their best.

To be honest, I thought the same thing when DSO had Lisa leave the stage at Red Rocks for Donna Jean.  I have no idea what Donna Jean sounds like now.  I have never listened to her or seen her post Grateful Dead.  However, I do know that she was inconsistent as a singer and her stage presence was a straight out downer.  Look at her body language from 70's shows.  There's no comparison to what Lisa brings to the table. 

Why would the band choose to take off half a set in deference to someone else?  I don't think they are entirely considering the fans perspective in that decision.  

16 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Nope.

Bobby sang all of the songs he was present for.

And he apparently also requested that they play everything Dead and Slow style.  Videos embedded in the story linked below.

https://www.jambase.com/article/bob-weir-dark-star-orchestra-san-francisco

they didn’t play everything at raging tempo. But it was faster than D&C. Bobby called the count for Cassidy quite slow, but the band brought the speed up gradually. 

shakedown jam kinda went nowhere, but things got better from there. It seemed like Weir got more into it once he switched to the big orange Gretsch - China Cat saw him immediately reaching for the Bigsby. The jam into rider was stretched out and the band gave Weir plenty of space: it was DSO backing Bobby and giving him the spotlight. 

morning Dee was tremendous, with Jeff being pretty spare with the leads, letting Bobby shine.

36 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Oh man.......I love Bobby as much as anything in this world.  However, I actively have chosen to skip his performances for the past 10 years.  From Day one of all post Jerry iterations, it has astounded me that Bobby sang Jerry tunes.  Bobby butchers them by trying to adapt his lyrical style to Jerry tunes and it doesn't work.  Combine that with the slow pacing of recent years.....no good.

I don't go to DSO shows to see novelty acts.  I attend so I can experience a transcendent musical and physical experience.  I would not have been a happy camper if I was at this concert.  Most especially if I traveled any distance or made any special personal arrangements to attend.  

I think it's a great gesture to bring Bobby on stage.  But I think DSO made a HUGE mistake by having Eaton leave the stage and Bobby take over.  Bobby should have been a special guest on stage playing alongside Eaton, and he should have played within the framework of what DSO does.  Instead, they chose to compromise the quality of the music they presented to fans on that night.  We pay to see DSO perform Grateful Dead music.  What I saw on these videos is not on par with DSO at their best.

To be honest, I thought the same thing when DSO had Lisa leave the stage at Red Rocks for Donna Jean.  I have no idea what Donna Jean sounds like now.  I have never listened to her or seen her post Grateful Dead.  However, I do know that she was inconsistent as a singer and her stage presence was a straight out downer.  Look at her body language from 70's shows.  There's no comparison to what Lisa brings to the table. 

Why would the band choose to take off half a set in deference to someone else?  I don't think they are entirely considering the fans perspective in that decision.  

Keep in mind Weir sat in most of first set, after DSO set things up with a massive threefer;  the second set was all DSO and was fantastic… plus we got a wonderful Mission in the Rain encore. 

I sure didn’t feel ripped off!

I think it’s awesome that Bob wanted to sit in with the band, and of course DSO, I am sure, was thrilled to have him. I think the bottom line is, if you made a career playing this music, and Bob Weir wants to sit in for a few songs, you let him, and he’s in charge for whatever he wants to do. I think it was gracious of Eaton to step aside to give Weir the space in the music he’s carved out for himself and is accustomed to occupying. It was probably cool to watch his hero sit in in his position in his band, and I’m sure it was a treat for the audience!

• Like (+1) 5

Ya, Bobby's hearing isn't what it used to be...this comes from a source who knows( not me )...hence, the slow motion...He does what he wants to do...it's been like this each time he has played since 2006 with dso, from what I have seen and heard. Interestingly enough, he insisted on doing shakedown one night after DSO did it the night before..I remember Kevin telling me ( 2006 ) that he came on stage and didn't say a word to anyone on what they were going to do, the tempo or anything....it was phenominal none the less...WISH I had been there the other night! DSO rises to the challenge when Bobby shows up...good for them...love it! Bobby kinda deserves it ;)

1 hour ago, Hardpan said:

I think it’s awesome that Bob wanted to sit in with the band, and of course DSO, I am sure, was thrilled to have him. I think the bottom line is, if you made a career playing this music, and Bob Weir wants to sit in for a few songs, you let him, and he’s in charge for whatever he wants to do. I think it was gracious of Eaton to step aside to give Weir the space in the music he’s carved out for himself and is accustomed to occupying. It was probably cool to watch his hero sit in in his position in his band, and I’m sure it was a treat for the audience!

As Eaton said, they were lucky to be able to collaborate with their hero/mentors! 

• Forum MVP

I mean, it is Bobby, come on, but yea, watch the crowd bobbing and weaving at the beginning of Shakedown and towards the end everyone is kinda standing around. Even Lisa looked a little lost. I couldn’t agree more with the earlier post about Bobby singing Jerry tunes. It’s just not right. I think he butchers them. Haven’t heard much though, don’t want to have to unremember them. Bobby should just retire. The torch has been passed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
5 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Mojo's got some hot lava going and I don't think its hyperbole.  Seems a bit over the top but to me but let it fly, I guess.  I wasn't there so I can't comment on the energy his presence created but I'll bet the band was pretty stoked.

As I recall - Mojo has more than mild distaste for Elective setlists, which again - to each their own.  Another discussion for another day - BUT - every time I see the word Mojo (mojo workin, mojo hand, mojo risin) I can't get this outta my borderline autistic mind

pray-for-mojo-simpsons.gif

I'm not trying to insult you, Mojo.  I'm just a strange person.

• Like (+1) 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
1 hour ago, Tea said:

Mojo's got some hot lava going and I don't think its hyperbole.  Seems a bit over the top but to me but let it fly, I guess.  I wasn't there so I can't comment on the energy his presence created but I'll bet the band was pretty stoked.

As I recall - Mojo has more than mild distaste for Elective setlists, which again - to each their own.  Another discussion for another day - BUT - every time I see the word Mojo (mojo workin, mojo hand, mojo risin) I can't get this outta my borderline autistic mind

pray-for-mojo-simpsons.gif

I'm not trying to insult you, Mojo.  I'm just a strange person.

No insult taken Tea.  I fully recognize that I am very finicky and closed minded as it pertains to DSO.  Generally, if they play anything outside of a recreation from 1973 thru 1991.....then I complain and call the band bad names.  If they play a recreation from 73 thru 91.....then I praise them with the highest accolades I can find.  Seems reasonable.  LOL.

• Forum MVP

I’d be thrilled to see bobby join dso for 5 songs even if it is slow tempo. It’s Bobby FFS. The band loves it too. It lends credibility and the articles about Bobby playing with them get shared across dead sites leading to more potential ticket buyers in the future. It’s good for  the fans and the band!!!! Eaton plays Bobby guitar. He’s happy to have a sit while his idol fills in. 

• Like (+1) 4