Jubilee

oysterhead

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I suggest buying wood early and making a pile so people know where a fire will be so they won't put a tent near it. There may also be others who think the same and you can get a nice community fire with many pitching in on wood. 2 years ago Some dick built a fire literally 4 feet from the back of my tent. I saw him setting up the wood early in the day and was like dude come on. He refused to budge so I ended up moving my tent a little asi was afraid flying coals would eat up my tent all night. Luckilu the wood was good and didn't pop.

Thanks this is helps. I hate to sound like the new kid on the block but I Don't want to be " that guy ". I have another question I have a large tent,easy up and I want to build a fire is that taking up to much real estate for one person?

Joharos,

It's a relaxed festival. Get there early and claim the space and you will be fine. With the ez up, maybe shoot for perimeters of the jubilee camping bowl, but there is no rule. I'd just say out of etiquette, be polite and friendly to your neighbors and occasionally offer them a beer and seat in the shade.

Freak freely!

• Forum MVP

There are people that have 12 man tents plus ezups for a couple people. Just get there early and take the spot you want. The top ridge fills up the quickest because it's close to the cars. If you go field, there will be tons of room all afternoon. Many don't get in until Saturday or late Friday night so you don't have to worry about space. There's plenty.

• Forum MVP

I was happy to leave by Monday of last year after days of all the smoke rolling through the valley. The weather was gorgeous and the smokey air reminded me of my retired neighbors burning leaves on the first weekend that is beautiful.

• Forum MVP

We had tarps blocking all views of any other humans or fire. Back in our corner, it felt like we were the only people at the fest. Except......for that horrible DJ that played until 4am. It was like a child who got their 1st DJ turntable and they decided to mess with every song by scratching or other really bad techniques. Stella Stella. Wickywicky. Stella stella blue. He'd stop the song for 2 second blocks then restart thinking it was cool. It was the most annoying and horrible thing I've ever seen. A 2am DJ should play fun stuff or dead. It was complete nonsense.

• Forum MVP

We had tarps blocking all views of any other humans or fire. Back in our corner, it felt like we were the only people at the fest. Except......for that horrible DJ that played until 4am. It was like a child who got their 1st DJ turntable and they decided to mess with every song by scratching or other really bad techniques. Stella Stella. Wickywicky. Stella stella blue. He'd stop the song for 2 second blocks then restart thinking it was cool. It was the most annoying and horrible thing I've ever seen. A 2am DJ should play fun stuff or dead. It was complete nonsense.

T-T-T-T-Terrrrrraaapinnnnnn!  YEAH BOY!  Sta-Sta-Sta-----Stella Blooooooooo.  The same treatment with an assortment of Floyd.  Maximum decibels.

All so you could come down and watch these clowns juggle fire.  They had some decent moves but there weren't people gettin down to this crap - they just stood there.   They had some awesome neon,a bumpin sound system, and smiles for the late-night ladies.  By 4am I needed better earplugs and a freaking straight-jacket.

I can't believe I somehow have missed the DJ. When did this occur, last year? I think I've went to sleep before 2:00 am every year so far. SLeep overtakes me.

I've noticed that when I've had folks by me with good stereos they never blast great music, but always something that causes me to want to die. Let's play the stratospheric soundcheck jam from 7-27-73, or Phil Lesh Quintet shows from Summer of 2001, not the Crystaline Syndrom Dubstep brothers.

I will be on the lookout this year.

P.S. Only three weekends left to get through.

• Forum MVP

Hello, I thought about going to Dark Star's jubilee this year!! I have seen a couple of performances and I think they sound pretty good for a Dead cover band.

I was wondering what anyone here would say about jubilee, and if it's worth the 10 hour drive?

First time I saw DSO was at a venue called penns peak. They seemed like they could really keep a tune together. The other city I saw them was this past show in Ashville, NC. They played really well. I was super surprised at how the girl who is suppose to be Donna performed.

I met a guy there and he told me about these forums. He said that there are good people here that know a lot about Greatful Dead and DSO. He seemed to enjoy the music little to much. He was running around, behind a wall not even watching the band. He said it was the only place he could find space. Dead Heads always make me laugh.

I Wanted to stop by and see what you all thought about jubilee, and to say hi. Do they have seating areas at the jubilee, or is it standing only near the stage?

Hello, I thought about going to Dark Star's jubilee this year!! I have seen a couple of performances and I think they sound pretty good for a Dead cover band.

I was wondering what anyone here would say about jubilee, and if it's worth the 10 hour drive?

First time I saw DSO was at a venue called penns peak. They seemed like they could really keep a tune together. The other city I saw them was this past show in Ashville, NC. They played really well. I was super surprised at how the girl who is suppose to be Donna performed.

I met a guy there and he told me about these forums. He said that there are good people here that know a lot about Greatful Dead and DSO. He seemed to enjoy the music little to much. He was running around, behind a wall not even watching the band. He said it was the only place he could find space. Dead Heads always make me laugh.

I Wanted to stop by and see what you all thought about jubilee, and to say hi. Do they have seating areas at the jubilee, or is it standing only near the stage?

• Forum MVP

It's impossible to enjoy it too much. And yes it's worth the 10 hour drive. Most of the people on here will be driving at least 6 hours or hopping a flight. There are people coming in from Colorado, vegas, Cali and even small islands off the Washington coast. You bring your own camp chair for seating. It's camping inside the venue where the deas used to play but instead of people all the way to the back fence there are tents. Note that 80% of the people at the jubilee will be having a little "too much fun". When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

• Forum MVP

Dont get me wrong, the music was good. I love dancing to Greatful Dead, it's a real good time, but this guy was dancing and slap sticking as if jerry just came back from The Dead. I watched him during iko-iko, as I really don't care for the song and needed a break. You could tell he was a bit more into it than others.

I thought it was cool. I brought him some water, and he told me about these forums and jubilee. Said he did not come on here anymore because of life, but said I should check it out if I really like this music.

I love this music, so I am thinking about going to jubilee and just wanted to know if it's as fun as what was described to me?

• Forum MVP

you met sunny in Asheville lol. And yes he does throw down.

I was similar to you at 1st. I needed to see the band. Now I just need to hear the music and have space to groove. Come to jubilee and you will see that kind of dancing ten fold.

• Forum MVP

There is nothing quite like the jubilee. The comfort of camping right by the music and the true dead family feel are unmatched in my opinion. BYOB or whatever you want right down to the stage. Just dont bring glass or firewood. Lol

• Forum MVP

A blind squirrel would sense my energy and and would soon be described as a spinning blind squirrel. To the amazement of all nut eaters everywhere!

No doubt, years of being on the same boad, you all have such cheer's individual qualities. Ducats always the doubter. A critic behind the screen, at times measured, while other times, most often, very obtuse. His credit is that his lack of trust in newcomers is a protective device for this community!!

Big T from Texas, perhaps the mail carrier of the beer drinking bar going forum goeers...seems to know it all, but to his credit, he is also like loose Lucy, as he has been around once or twice!!

Thank you Rudedog for your response! Positive, non assuming, and engaging, but oddly, your more rude than the following other DSO drinkers.

A troll, perhaps so, but only when you use your eyes. Other senses will incite more logical conclusions. However, I assure you, the dampeneing drudges of life can only restrain the wills of the less devoted, not the enegrtic life of love, passion, and the momentum to take this music to places others can just sit and stare upon with amazement.

Because I do get out of my seat, as I always take a chance, and by next showig you will see why I just had to dance!! We are all the eyes of the world, and I just want to come to a place, and be able to throw in my 10 gold dollars every so often!!

I want to be able to do it in a way that the blind says, don't you see, you got to make it some how, on the dreams you still belive. Don't give it up, because life sucks with a empty cup...and for those eyes that do see me, will only see what the blind man knows to be different.

I am betting the blind here will see more than those who can see elsewhere, as I am finally going back to where I belong!!

• Forum MVP

I have found all the people I have personally met here to be kind people and look forward to making the acquaintance of others I know only by their handle. And truly, it is the crowd that sets the vibe for the experience.

A great band is built on good interpersonal relationships and it is evident on stage that these cats enjoy the musical places they wander together,

I have had such wonderful experiences seeing this band because " back in the day" the only place to dance with space was the hall and the dance halls like Penn's Peak allow for that experience in what I imagine the earlier days were in the dead's history. Hunter wove myth and lore into his lyrics and that is what elevates the music from just a band to an experience, imho. It is the score to the story of our lives. So for some, the dance is a freeing of one from the constraints of life and its responsibilities. It is where some let their horses run free. Yeah, like a merry prankster.

I would suggest reading the Jubilee reviews from the years and make your decision from there. It is a nice lovely festival where friends from all over gather. Whether it is worth it is prolly based on what you want and need right now.

" May the four winds blow you safely home."

Archived