College Football 2015

bs69

• Forum MVP

My current playoff field.

Osu

Clemson

Oklahoma/Bama

Baylor

Unfortunately Bama and Oklahoma have brutal roads ahead. I'll stand by my pick that no SEC goes 1 loss. I'm basing my playoff partially on using the S&P+ which is a computer metric used by the BCS committee, and the other part on poll rankings even though they aren't used by the committee. And if you wonder why they aren't used, Michigan state has a 1st place vote in the coaches poll lol. What's surprising is Michigan is ranked 3rd in the s&p+. They have looked better than many teams but I think they are overachieving under harbaugh and he eventually destroys every team he coaches but that's 2-3 years down the road before they completely resent him. Plus harbaugh brought in a poor freshman class. Honestly who would want to play for him. He's brutal. Brilliant coach but horrible to players.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Big game between Michigan and Northwestern next weekend.

Northwestern dominated but are they really that good. We will see next week. Crazy season. Hot teams going flat. Averageness. 15-20 teams who are arguably as good as each other. Not much dominance. Baylor is outperforming. Bama had the strongest defense I've seen this year. Florida is not that good. They have good wins but they are about like Michigan. Good but not ready for prime time. Michigan is prob the 2nd best team in the big ten followed by northwestern. I still don't see how Michigan st is 4th in the polls. There are 15 other power conference undefeated and mich st has the least impressive performance of them all. Iowa is not that good btw. Guessing u know that. U.K. Has gone to 5-0 a few years. I've never besides Tim couch at qb ever said uk is good and that was only offensively. Iowa has a dearth of talent and it will show soon.

• Forum MVP

You are correct about Iowa, but northwestern intrigues me. Really interested to see how that game turns out. I also don't think LSU is a threat, once again to one dimensional, no qb.

• Forum MVP

You are correct about Iowa, but northwestern intrigues me. Really interested to see how that game turns out. I also don't think LSU is a threat, once again to one dimensional, no qb.

Lsu will have a problem Agains Bana for sure. Lsu has solid D and the top RB and Nebraska has won a championship with that before but at this point it's Bamas to lose. Honestly northwestern could win the big ten. I've been reading some articles that people are predicting Michigan to win it. Michigan has 1 huge advantage in that they have the whole year to get ready for Ohio state. Michigan is definitely improving faster than maybe any team in the nation and that extra practice time for harbaugh will be huge. Ohio states road is getting harder as they prove to be formidable. If Michigan wins out they may get a playoff birth as the computers love them. Michigan will be a 5 point favorite over Michigan state. But how real is michifans D?? Shut out 2 straight teams. If that's legit they could win the conference as no ones offense is that good. And why is Ohio state not making a qb change???? Tj Barrett is sitting on the sideline. Urban it's time to make a change. If nothing else you have to at least try to bring some life to that offense before it's too late. I was watching that game and they put the camera on TJ a few times wondering themselves why not try something different. Cardale has had his chance. If nothing else it may inspire better overall play. whst I didn't realize is Ohio state lost their top QB coach. Assistant coaches are a huge factor and having a new QB coach with a young QB may be a contributing factor in this. Ohio state has plenty of time to figure it out. Maryland this week plus 3 relatively easy games after will let them do some fiddling before Illinois which normally would be a cake walk and still should.

• Forum MVP

After last week, I am convinced no SEC team could win the big 10 of big 12. Bunch of okay to good teams but no one close to greatness. I hope they get left out the playoffs.

Who's the greatness in the big 10???

Do u even watch these games?? Umm did u see Alabama play. Did u see Michigan state. I watched them both. Not in the same league. Ohio state has offensive troubles that can maybe get fixed. Michigan state has bad D which won't get fixed. Ohio state is still in OK shape b/c a legit D. I'm not sure what games u even watch if any. But watch Bana the next time they play and see if it's not the fastest hard hitting D in football. But u are right in the fact that no team anywhere has overwhelmed nonstop but to make a ludicrous assumption like no sec team could win the big 10 is silly. It would be the same if I said Ohio state had 0 chance of winning the sec. That would be a falsehood. They would have a chance. And the fact is 6-8 SEC teams go undefeated until the Michigan state game with Ohio states schedule. I'm not blaming Ohio state. It's just how it is being in their side of the division not having to play northwester or Wisconsin. But all the performance computers have 8 top 20 sec teams based on actual play and scores vs based on obvious blind hatred with absurd non fact based statements. The one used by the BCS has Bana 3rd. And if you want to tell me who has outplayed these teams I'd love to hear your analysis. Michigan has had big wins and northwestern has had 2 big wins. I understand you hate the SEC. I never said the sec would win any other league. I said top to bottom they are the best this year and every computer backs that up. I never said at the top they are the best. But currently Bama will have many big games that can prove it. Oklahoma has lots of games that can prove it. Utah has many games to prove it.

• Forum MVP

6 ranked SEC teams none in top 5. 5 ranked big 10 teams 2 in top 5. Pac 12 6 teams with ome top 5. 4 big 12 teams 2 in top 3. The reign of SEC supremacy is over. Face facts.

Big 10 football definitely just as good

Do u really think Michigan state is a legit top 5 team?? Do 1 comparison. Compare a lowly Texas A&M results to Michigan state. Tell me who is the better of the 2 based on the results. Look at the rpi of each other's opponents then compare the results again. Don't tell me then u really believe Michigan state is that good.

• Forum MVP

I think what MC is trying to convey is that there are 5 ranked big ten teams and six ranked SEC teams with the big ten having higher ranked teams. Hardly a slam dunk for the SEC. I also don't think you can put too much stock in these computer rankings that take margin of victory into the equation. Margins simply are not as big in the north where the weather is worse and more focus is placed on running and defense. A fourteen point win in the big ten is like a thirty point win in the big twelve.

• Forum MVP

I think what MC is trying to convey is that there are 5 ranked big ten teams and six ranked SEC teams with the big ten having higher ranked teams. Hardly a slam dunk for the SEC. I also don't think you can put too much stock in these computer rankings that take margin of victory into the equation. Margins simply are not as big in the north where the weather is worse and more focus is placed on running and defense. A fourteen point win in the big ten is like a thirty point win in the big twelve.

It's not winter yet. Looked pretty nice in Lansing. running up score?? Purdue had the ball with a chance to win. Big ten fans should focus on Michigan and northwestern who actually have quality wins. By results Michigan and northwestern should be ranked higher than Michigan state. 2 of those have big wins and Michigan had dominating wins. Too much emphasis is placed on initial rankings. I read an article that said AP and coaches polls should start on week 4. That would make a much more accurate poll. If you start ranked high you will only truly drop with a loss and teams with the same records like A&M who have looked solid and beaten good teams have to slowly climb up. Where the SEC dominates is depth. UK is prob 12th best in the SEC. They would be 6 or 7th in the big ten and would be 5th based on computers ahead of Iowa. As long as the pollsters have Michigan state ranked top 10 when there are 15 other unbeatens that have all looked better, it's not a legit poll. Even big ten fans think it's ridiculous. Until this week people gave Michigan state 1st place votes. Purdue lost to Marshall and bowling green. It's not 1 game either. Michigan state had won their games by a total of 53 points which is less than any other undefeated with arguably the weakest schedule. I just don't know how else to put it that they are not a top team. Maybe 20th? 25th?

The problem in the SEC is that you can't have 9 top 25 teams as they all have to play each other. The polls only reward win loss. Mississippi state dropped from the polls losing at A&M. It's impossible to have that many ranked in 1 conference as the more competition the more you lose any polls are only based on win loss. Soon Bana LSU and A&M have to play each other. If Bana beats A&M are they not still the 12th best team?? The AP says if you lose u drop. The fewer good teams a conference has the easier to achieve top ratings. Baylor and TCU are luckily in the weak side of the big 12 so they can mostly avoid the rough teams just like Florida and Georgia avoid the depth in the west. Is a 1 loss Florida Better than a 2 loss Bana when 1 plays a much easier schedule. These are things that the AP poll doesn't address and computers do address. That's why only computers are used in addition to the BCS's own rankings. It's why a 1 loss big ten won't get in but a 1 loss PAC 12 is a lock as well as even maybe a 2 loss Bama. If Michigan wins out they will get in as a 1 loss team as they played a much tougher schedule.

• Forum MVP

And looking back through this post I only ever said SEC is the dominant conference in response to comments that said the SEC sucks or is overrated. I never came out with that stance and only voiced it in response to the bashing. I have called out specific teams as overhyped based on their body of work but I have been pretty positive on Michigan most of the year. I've given props to Oklahoma who I think is legit as well as UCLA which was maybe a bit too early. I've never hidden that Michigan state is the most overrated team and Ohio state has not performed like last years national champs. I've actually given Baylor props. I was actually trying to find my bias. I'm def biased on games I like to watch but pretty fair on game analysis.

Most of my college football analysis of late has been game related and have talked about intriguing games from all conferences. Maybe I need to stop feeding the troll as MC knows it gets to me lol. I'd never bash any team that is performing. I may dislike Ohio state but if they were covering it would be different. I do think Urban needs a QB change and I think the fans want one too.

So bash away. I'm not responding to so and so sucks comments anymore as its not a merit based debate or fact based and for someone who pretends to be unbiased b/c has no team, it's always about finding a way to bash the SEC, but I will still give my game analysis.

• Forum MVP

I didn't know presenting facts about rankings and where teams were was trolling. I've said overrated. I never said sucked. Even think I conceded that they were the best conferenece. My facts only speak to the play being closer than one thinks. All good things come to an end man. SEC is just another power 5 conference. They may still be the beat but by a very small margin. I will keep following as best I can via. Sport shows and stats. I don't watch many of the games. I respect that you believe in the eye test.

• Forum MVP

Rude,

I think you are selling UK short. They are better than Vandy, Missouri, South Carolina and quite possibly Auburn and Miss St. I think they are in the 8-10 range in the SEC pecking order this year.

• Forum MVP

Spurrier retires effective immediately. WTF Chris? Crazy.

He said it best in the press conference. "When I came here I was the best man for the job. I'm not the best man for the job anymore." He's lost the locker room this year and he just can't coach without that connection. I hate it cause I love the guy. He resigned ( not retired - he emphasized) half way to give SC a jump on finding the right replacement - IMO. This year was Unsalvageable anyway. End of an era.

• Forum MVP

Thought UK would beat Auburn last night. I mostly watched the baseball, but caught a lot of the game and it was not very good football. Stanford continues to quietly move back into the chase.

• Forum MVP

Thought UK would beat Auburn last night. I mostly watched the baseball, but caught a lot of the game and it was not very good football. Stanford continues to quietly move back into the chase.

What made you think UK plays good football. Was it the 4-1 record that tricked you. Granted we aren't as bad as years past, but far from good quality. Watch Michigan or Bama D if u want to see good football:)

Archived