Your favorite DSO show

DesertDead

• Forum MVP

Just one, as of right this minute.  No need to list many or explain that you can’t pick just one.  We all get it.  

Mine is Napa, California.  October 11, 2014.

___________________________________________________________________________________

City Winery Napa

Set One: Deep Elem Blues ; Dark Hollow ; Operator ; Box Of Rain ; California Earthquake ; On The Road Again ; Rosa Lee McFall ; *Rain ; It Makes No Difference ; Friend Of The Devil ; Wake Up Little Susie ; I've Been All Around This World ; Big Iron ; Ripple 

Set Two: Till The Morning Comes ; Sittin' On Top Of The World ; Dancing In The Street ; It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World ; Cryptical Envelopment > drums > The Other One > Dark Star > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Viola Lee Blues 

Encore: Alligator > And We Bid You Goodnight
Show Notes
Set one acoustic. Set two electric. 

* First Time performed. Song by Donna Godchaux 
  • Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

1/31/05 Mercy Lounge Nashville TN

Lisa and Donna G. taking turns and together

Boombox entertaining within the crowd at intermission

Jack Straw

Half Step—>El Paso

Brown Eyed

Minglewood 

Loser 

Passenger

FOTD

Me & My Uncle

Tennessee Jed

TMNS

Bertha—>Good Lovin 

Candyman

Playin—>
D/S—>
Wheel—>

Wharf Rat>
Around & Around

Encore:

Brokedown Palace—>
Playin

Filler:

Catfish John

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
2 hours ago, DesertDead said:

Just one, as of right this minute.  No need to list many or explain that you can’t pick just one.  We all get it.  

Mine is Napa, California.  October 11, 2014.

___________________________________________________________________________________

City Winery Napa

Set One: Deep Elem Blues ; Dark Hollow ; Operator ; Box Of Rain ; California Earthquake ; On The Road Again ; Rosa Lee McFall ; *Rain ; It Makes No Difference ; Friend Of The Devil ; Wake Up Little Susie ; I've Been All Around This World ; Big Iron ; Ripple 

Set Two: Till The Morning Comes ; Sittin' On Top Of The World ; Dancing In The Street ; It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World ; Cryptical Envelopment > drums > The Other One > Dark Star > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Viola Lee Blues 

Encore: Alligator > And We Bid You Goodnight
Show Notes
Set one acoustic. Set two electric. 

* First Time performed. Song by Donna Godchaux 

only time performed that I'm aware of. Great show, one of my Favs. Also an amazing recording of the show, which I've played for many delighted ears.

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

Favorite with Jeff:

2015-5-23 Jubilee

Set One: Sittin On Top Of The World ; Morning Dew ; Beat It On Down The Line > Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ; Doin' That Rag ; Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Death Don't Have No Mercy

Set Two: Dupree's Diamond Blues > Mountains Of The Moon > Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Turn On Your Love Light

Filler: Easy Wind > Viola Lee Blues

Favorite with JK:

2009-2-14 - Hilton Head

Set One:

Viola Lee Blues, Walk in the Sunshine, They Love Each Other, Black Throated Wind, Box of Rain, You Ain't Woman Enough, Bird Song, Big Iron-> Jack-a-Roe, Sing Your Blues Away, Mexicali Blues, Uncle John's Band

Set Two:

Greatest Story Ever Told, Second That Emotion, I Feel Like Dynamite*, Waiting for a Miracle, Easy Wind, Me & Bobby McGee, Eyes of the World-> Weather Report Suite-> Let It Grow-> Stella Blue-> Not Fade Away-> Going Down the Road Feeling Bad-> Not Fade Away

Encore:
And It Stoned Me

* Dedicated to Merl Saunders

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
2012-02-20

Cannery Ballroom
Nashville

GD Show Date
1970-11-07 Capitol theater port Chester 

Set One: accoustic 

Deep Elem Blues
Monkey And The Engineer
Big Railroad Blues
Operator
El Paso
*How Long Blues
Ripple
Brokedown Palace-> Uncle John's Band

Set Two:

Cumberland Blues
Cold Rain And Snow
It Hurts Me Too
Beat It On Down The Line
Truckin'-> Drums-> The Other One-> Casey Jones

Set Three: Attics Of My Life
Sugar Magnolia
Big Boss Man
Mama Tried
China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider
I'm A King Bee
Good Lovin'

Filler:
In The Midnight Hour-> New Orleans

This was my 2nd dso show. When the band took the stage it was just me and a buddy in the venue. That’s it. A few started filling in but for a song or 2 there were like 10 peeps inside. Not knowing much about dso, Eaton announces that they were doing something special tonight, a 3 set show. I was like sweet!!!
  • Like (+1) 4

• Forum MVP

They’re all tied for first place but since that answer would disqualify me, I gotta say my first show because it had the greatest effect on me. Ocean City, New Jersey Music Pier, 2002, Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend. 
  I grew up, summers in OC, parents owned a house since ‘68, I was seven. It was the closest to playing my house that the band has ever been.
  My nephew told me about them the week before, knew zero about them. I hadn’t done anything since Jerry died. Hung out at my parents beach house for two days then drove downtown to check them out. I stood about ten feet in front of John K with a group of about eight people around my age. Opened up with Alabama so I was like, 1980. I got to play that game and dance with my new found friends right out of the gate. Pretty cool. Third tune was Peggy-O. John had the hair on the back of my neck standing up and tears in my eyes. His delivery was spot on. I had an absolute blast! I told my nephew, now that is what a Grateful Dead concert is like. They are it! When we were leaving, Kevin and Rob Kioritz were talking on the boardwalk. I walked up to them, blown away, with a great big THANK YOU !!! 
Kevin just looked back at me with a grin and a nod. He fully understood that I had just had it done to me by the Dark Star Orchestra. The greatest impact from that night was that I could now start going to shows again, catch them when they come around. Twenty years later and I am still looking forward to my next show. Hell, I only chased Jerry and the boys for fifteen years. 

• Like (+1) 5

Three contenders. For all different reasons.

I've always loved "Who Was John" and was thrilled when they busted it out on 2/8/2013:

DSO 2/8/2013 Madison Theater, COvington, KY

China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Beat It On Down The Line ; When Push Comes To Shove ; Never Trust A Woman ; Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again ; Who Was John? ; Hell In A Bucket ; Cats Under The Stars ; Box Of Rain

Set Two:
Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; Unbroken Chain > drums > space > So Many Roads > I Need A Miracle > Hey Jude > Casey Jones

Encore:
Mister Charlie ; Brokedown Palace

I concur with Tea regarding 5/23/2015

DSO, 2015-5-23 Jubilee

Set One: Sittin On Top Of The World ; Morning Dew ; Beat It On Down The Line > Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ; Doin' That Rag ; Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Death Don't Have No Mercy

Set Two: Dupree's Diamond Blues > Mountains Of The Moon > Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Turn On Your Love Light

This show at the Taft Theatre was DSO at their finest:

DSO, 2/26/16 Taft Theater, Cinci, OH (Performing 10/31/1983)

Wang Dang Doodle > My Brother Esau ; Peggy-O ; Little Red Rooster ; Brown Eyed Women ; Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Deal

Set Two: Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower ; Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > Saint Stephen > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: Revolution

Filler: Werewolves Of London

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, LangeradoSoul said:

Three contenders. For all different reasons.

I've always loved "Who Was John" and was thrilled when they busted it out on 2/8/2013:

DSO 2/8/2013 Madison Theater, COvington, KY

China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Beat It On Down The Line ; When Push Comes To Shove ; Never Trust A Woman ; Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again ; Who Was John? ; Hell In A Bucket ; Cats Under The Stars ; Box Of Rain

Set Two:
Help On The Way > Slipknot > Franklin's Tower ; Man Smart (Woman Smarter) ; Unbroken Chain > drums > space > So Many Roads > I Need A Miracle > Hey Jude > Casey Jones

Encore:
Mister Charlie ; Brokedown Palace

I concur with Tea regarding 5/23/2015

DSO, 2015-5-23 Jubilee

This show at the Taft Theatre was DSO at their finest:

DSO, 2/26/16 Taft Theater, Cinci, OH (Performing 10/31/1983)

Wang Dang Doodle > My Brother Esau ; Peggy-O ; Little Red Rooster ; Brown Eyed Women ; Lost Sailor > Saint Of Circumstance > Deal

Set Two: Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower ; Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > Saint Stephen > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: Revolution

Filler: Werewolves Of London

I was at all of these and all great shows, but I'll go with 10-30-10 at the Madison theater in Covington

1. Morning Dew,  MAMU, Doin' that Rag>He was a friend of mine,  Hard to Handle,  Cosmic Charlie,  Cryptical>drums>other one>Cryptical

2. China Cat>Sitting on top of the world>Dark Star>St. Stephen>Eleven>Lovelight

Filler. Hurts me too,  Bid you goodnight

First 69 show for me,  we'd been clamoring for it and they started playing them around then, gamechanger for sure

• Like (+1) 2

That's a tough one..  My first show was a something special.  I thought the experience was gone forever.....and then this happened.  

12/29/11 Electric Factory, Philly

The other great shows I've seen (some of which were as great as this one) are starting to blend together as the years go by.  But I always will remember how euphoric I felt to see one of the 1980 acoustic sets performed live....and then a totally transcendent experience the rest of the way.  I saw Further play a few months earlier in Atlantic City.  That was the last time I ever attended a show by any of the remaining members of the Grateful Dead.  DSO delivers the goods!

Set One:

Dire Wolf
The Race Is On
Jack-A-Roe
Monkey And The Engineer
It Must Have Been The Roses
Dark Hollow
Bird Song
To Lay Me Down
On The Road Again
Oh Babe It Ain't No Lie-> Ripple

Set Two:

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo-> Franklin's Tower
Mama Tried-> Mexicali Blues
Row Jimmy
Little Red Rooster
Althea
Let It Grow
Deal

Set Three:

Cold Rain And Snow
C C Rider
Ramble On Rose
He's Gone-> The Other On-> Space-> Drums->Space-> Stella Blue
I Need A Miracle-> Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad-> Johnny B. Goode

Encore One More Saturday Night

Filler:
The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)

• Like (+1) 3

• Forum MVP

I gotta go with my last show 9/25/21.

Riverbend 85

That taft 10/31/83 was very special being on a powerful gel and knowing we were experiencing something as important as the last supper.

Annies with JK, sunset scarlet fire st stephen, lots of good shows at the newport in columbus,esp the show where they played Zappa before show, set break and after show for house music. My 2nd frank show was in november 1984 at the newport, early and late shows  nice of dso bringing frank alive again. 

As the thread started just one:

9/25/21

Riverbend 85

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP

So many good ones. I won’t say favorite but one of mine that always stands out is the 02-06-13 show at the buskirk chumley. Partially stands out because it was acoustic but I got so many 1sts (I’d only been seeing them a year or so at that point) but Lisa sang Chimes, got my first ever Reuben and Cherise and was blindsided by it not expecting it acoustic. Also was eating some edibles I had made for a friend that was going thru Chemotherapy. I made them to basically just put knock him out and I was flopping around and crying all over the place up in the balcony that night 🤣😆

I love hearing all these stories especially the first show stories that describe that one feeling at that first moment when we all realized that there was something this special still going on. ✌️

• Like (+1) 3

The answer is all of them! This one sticks out though. I danced my ass off and then went to work my security overnight job. Man, they used to tear up old Irving Plaza!

Show Date
2003-11-24
Venue
Irving Plaza

Set One:

Me & My Uncle
Sugaree
Jack Straw
Big RxR Blues
Mexicali
They Love Each Other
Looks Like Rain
Here Comes Sunshine
Big River
Brokedown Palace
Weather Report Suite Prelude->Weather Report Suite Part 1->Let It Grow

Set Two:

Half Step->Playin->El Paso->Playin->Wharf Rat->Playin->Morning Dew->Truckin->Nobody's Fault->Going Down The Road Feeling Bad->Saturday Night

Encore:
Uncle John

Filler:
Greatest*

GD Show Date
1973-11-21
  • Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Fireonshakedwnstreet said:
The answer is all of them! This one sticks out though. I danced my ass off and then went to work my security overnight job. Man, they used to tear up old Irving Plaza!

Show Date
2003-11-24
Venue
Irving Plaza

Set One:

Me & My Uncle
Sugaree
Jack Straw
Big RxR Blues
Mexicali
They Love Each Other
Looks Like Rain
Here Comes Sunshine
Big River
Brokedown Palace
Weather Report Suite Prelude->Weather Report Suite Part 1->Let It Grow

Set Two:

Half Step->Playin->El Paso->Playin->Wharf Rat->Playin->Morning Dew->Truckin->Nobody's Fault->Going Down The Road Feeling Bad->Saturday Night

Encore:
Uncle John

Filler:
Greatest*

GD Show Date
1973-11-21

where is Irving plaza?

January 18, 2007

The Pageant

St. Louis, Mo.

JGB setlist

July 21, 1976

Keystone, Berkeley, CA

Set One:

Sugaree
Catfish John
That's What Love Will Make You Do
Knockin' On Heaven's Door
After Midnight

Set Two:

Don't Let Go
The Way You Do The Things You Do
Stir It Up
Ride Mighty High

Elective Set: Tangled Up
Love Each Other
Scarlet-> Drums-> Wheel-> Old Dixie Down-> Midnight Moonlight

Encore:
Sisters and Brothers

with special guests Dan Klepinger (keys) and Brad Sarno on pedal steel
There was no break between the first two sets

• Like (+1) 4

December 3, 2016

9:30 Club

Washington D.C.

Elective:

Set One: Saint Stephen > Dancing In The Street ; Sugaree ; Chimes Of Freedom ; Passenger ; Think ; Cassidy ; To Lay Me Down ; Let Me Sing Your Blues Away ; China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider 

Set Two: Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain > Corrina > Shakedown Street > Don't Need Love > drums > space > The Other One > Stella Blue > The Other One > One More Saturday Night 

Encore: Run, Rudolph, Run

• Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

The Norva----First set elective. Second set 12-21-68.

2017-12-01

Set One: Good Morning Little School Girl ; Down' That Rag ; Big Boy Pete ; Dupree's Diamond Blues ; Mountains Of The Moon > Saint Stephen > The Eleven > Viola Lee Blues

Set Two: Turn On Your Lovelight ; Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > It Hurts Me Too ; Alligator > Drums ; Alligator > Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) > Feedback > And We Bid You Good Night

Encore: Hard To Handle

There is someone else on this forum that feels the same---I am sure of it!!!   However, thats the thing, shows each have their nuggets whether the music, the friends, the venue, the party, etc.......

Jubille 2015 for sure my greatest moment with DSO and those I have evolved with since hopping on this bus.   

But---it was the Pocahauntus show that got me to hop. 

Set One:

Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)-> New Minglewood Blues
Dupree's Diamond Blues
My Brother
Blow Away
It The Must've Been The Roses
Passenger
Waiting For a Miracle
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
The Weight-> Jack Straw

Set Two:

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo-> Feel Like A Stranger
Eyes Of The World-> *drums-> space-> Truckin'-> Comes A Time-> Good Lovin'

Encore:
Forever Young

The forever young left me in a realization that my youth growing up with this music was not lost and had been refound.  Little boy lost was no longer and a whole new chapter began. The first decade(almost a decade) fought rough waters getting on board, but hung in there to finally come out stronger with a easier feeling---never missing a beat once the music began.  

🤑

• Like (+1) 5

• Forum MVP

That was a great show Sunny. It’s impossible to just list 1 show. I have many that hold fond memories. 2/14/15 Valentine’s Day in Newport KY was a special one. One of my fav pics of meili and waiting for an Uber sits on my coffee table. I have so many shows that are near and dear to my heart, it’s hard to pick one. My favs of all time were the ones that few showed up. Maybe it’s the intimacy of the small crowd. Great for us. Bad for the band. But dso always shows up no matter what crowd size. Maybe my favorite run was that Jerry band run down south a few years ago. Heck I love them all. 

I can’t forget jazz fest dso shows which introduced me to that amazing time!!!! The joy theater was empty b/c there is jusy too much going on down there. We liked it so much we haven’t missed one since even though this year won’t be in the cards. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP
3 hours ago, Rude said:

My favs of all time were the ones that few showed up. 

In 2003, our band played Bay Center in Dewey, DE after a day of 

severe thunderstorms.  Maybe 50 people showed up.  The dance

space stretched for days.

Praise DSO.

• Like (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

That was back in the day where I planned 8 show runs and ended up doing more lol. I’ve always liked doing creative tours like the 2019 6 show cali summer tour then doing 2 days in Yosemite then catching phil at terrapin crossroads then 2 deadco shoreline then winging it ending up in elko nevada seeing 4th of July fireworks then messing around in west Colorado before redrocks. The spring 2020 was going to be my greatest planned tour ever that never happened lol. Were planning on doing 11 or 12 of the 13, skipping 1-2 shows to give us 2 days in south beach and one in Nola. Instead covid hit. Then there was a “Hey”. “Bedroom?” 3 minutes later “I’m pregnant. It’s a boy. No more fun for us”. Now I just reminisce and pray that when I’m 65 and can get away for a few weeks the beta zeta iota strain isn’t cancelling tours again or if there are still tours in 15 years or will we just be wearing Meta glasses and existing in a 3D virtual reality. Bobby will definitely still be touring but playing at 50% tempo of current deadco to the delight of deadco fans who are like slow it down even more. It’s too fast. How can we sit when It’s so fast. Slow it down and hey no standing or dancing at shows. We can’t see!

• LMAO 3

• Forum MVP
4 hours ago, Rude said:

That was back in the day where I planned 8 show runs and ended up doing more lol. I’ve always liked doing creative tours like the 2019 6 show cali summer tour then doing 2 days in Yosemite then catching phil at terrapin crossroads then 2 deadco shoreline then winging it ending up in elko nevada seeing 4th of July fireworks then messing around in west Colorado before redrocks. The spring 2020 was going to be my greatest planned tour ever that never happened lol. Were planning on doing 11 or 12 of the 13, skipping 1-2 shows to give us 2 days in south beach and one in Nola. Instead covid hit. Then there was a “Hey”. “Bedroom?” 3 minutes later “I’m pregnant. It’s a boy. No more fun for us”. Now I just reminisce and pray that when I’m 65 and can get away for a few weeks the beta zeta iota strain isn’t cancelling tours again or if there are still tours in 15 years or will we just be wearing Meta glasses and existing in a 3D virtual reality. Bobby will definitely still be touring but playing at 50% tempo of current deadco to the delight of deadco fans who are like slow it down even more. It’s too fast. How can we sit when It’s so fast. Slow it down and hey no standing or dancing at shows. We can’t see!

I feel your pain….my daughter definitely cut into GD shows. But on the bright side I did get to see Backstreet Boys, O-Town, and Spice Girls

Reason for optimism:

Have seen 400+ DSO shows since she turned 11

• Like (+1) 2

• Forum MVP
55 minutes ago, 2muchfun said:

I feel your pain….my daughter definitely cut into GD shows. But on the bright side I did get to see Backstreet Boys, O-Town, and Spice Girls

Reason for optimism:

Have seen 400+ DSO shows since she turned 11

slacker